Apple Inc.'s iPhone has earned itself close to a quarter of the business smart phone market, according to ComScore Inc., while BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion Inc. accounts for about 52%.

Apple and RIM have been fighting to gain ground in each other's strongholds: RIM attempting to produce consumer-friendly phones and Apple trying to promote the iPhone as a device that can be used for a variety of business purposes.

"The lines are blurring," said Shaw Wu, an analyst at Kaufman Bros. "For many people, they use a single device to handle both their personal and professional lives. That's what Apple's about -- they're really good at that."

"But I'm not ready to count RIM out," he said.
    On a side note, considering how young Android is, they are doing absolutely great and gaining at 12.10%.

more here
    12-04-10 10:27 AM
    Yup Apple is seeing a bigger increase and Android is growing fast as well. 1-2 more years and I can see RIM losing all of their ground at this rate.
    12-04-10 12:19 PM
    Rimm will continue to keep losing ground until they can produce a phone that can compete with higher end phones like iPhones and Androids. The masses keep waiting for the Monster phone but is Rimm finally gonna release one? Guess we will see.
    12-04-10 12:32 PM
    BB is for business users, and there will be no switch over until iphone is FULLY compatible with BB, BES, etc... the BB is a TOOL business people use and have always used, back to the day when they were huge, clunky, and ugly to earn a living...not to play games..

Would I switch to Iphone if fully compatible for business? I'd be the first in line, lol
    12-08-10 10:41 AM
    blah blah blah "business users" "tool"- the facts and figures in the OP they don't lie. Those are just words which mean nothing other than an opinion of what a device should or shouldn't be in their mind, not what is or is not.

It will never ever be compatible with BB, and BES is loosing ground as Exchange gets better. They do nearly the same things. Exchange is much cheaper for companies to run than BES as well which is why you see a lot of iphone and Android business growth on the chart.

It OBVIOUSLY IS a business tool if it has nearly 1/4 of the enterprise market in 3 years being out!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-08-10 at 06:55 PM.
    12-08-10 06:52 PM
    blah blah blah "business users" "tool"- the facts and figures in the OP they don't lie. Those are just words which mean nothing other than an opinion of what a device should or shouldn't be in their mind, not what is or is not.

It will never ever be compatible with BB, and BES is loosing ground as Exchange gets better. They do nearly the same things. Exchange is much cheaper for companies to run than BES as well which is why you see a lot of iphone and Android business growth on the chart.

It OBVIOUSLY IS a business tool if it has nearly 1/4 of the enterprise market in 3 years being out!
    It is more of a by-product, in my opinion, of the fact that the economy is down and companies have stopped footing the bill for their employees' cell phones. There will always be a segment of the business population that has their cell phone provided to them by their employer and for many that will never be iPhone or Android devices, at least not until both platforms put in systems that give network administrators the same type of control they have with BES.
    12-09-10 06:22 AM
    A segment, yes. No one will deny that.

But even so employers are starting to provide iphones at least, a lot who even have their own company app their employees can use.
    12-09-10 05:30 PM
    It is more of a by-product, in my opinion, of the fact that the economy is down and companies have stopped footing the bill for their employees' cell phones. There will always be a segment of the business population that has their cell phone provided to them by their employer and for many that will never be iPhone or Android devices, at least not until both platforms put in systems that give network administrators the same type of control they have with BES.
    that's true. there will always be "those" kind of companies. However, what you are suggesting is not a recipe for growth. it is a recipe for decline.
    12-09-10 05:34 PM
    that's true. there will always be "those" kind of companies. However, what you are suggesting is not a recipe for growth. it is a recipe for decline.
    A recipe for decline for who? The customer? RIM?
    12-09-10 07:02 PM
    That's funny.
    Lets deploy Androids and iPhones because the game playing and 300 000 plus apps wont distract our employees and we have no problem absorbing the cost of all that extra data the devices use.
    12-09-10 08:59 PM
    That's funny.
    Lets deploy Androids and iPhones because the game playing and 300 000 plus apps wont distract our employees and we have no problem absorbing the cost of all that extra data the devices use.
    I believe that can be controlled.
    12-09-10 10:07 PM
    In my opinion, there are alot of new business which use iPhones - however long established businesses - such as a law firm...well there are alot of lawyers I work with who tried to an iPhone, but those accustomed to a BB keyboard simply cannot switch to a touch screen.

Also keep in mind these are people who reply/send upwards of a 100 emails a day.
    12-11-10 04:32 PM
    Also keep in mind these are people who reply/send upwards of a 100 emails a day.
    If messaging/notification is not the primary need from your device than Apple/Android is the way to go. imo
    12-11-10 06:33 PM
    Iphone a business smart phone? C'mon people. Lets be real. Blackberry is "THE" original business phone and where it may not catch up to the fun stuff that the IPhone has and can do, neither will the IPhone ever ever ever catch up to the BB's business prowess, much less surpass RIM.
    12-11-10 07:40 PM
    Iphone a business smart phone? C'mon people. Lets be real. Blackberry is "THE" original business phone and where it may not catch up to the fun stuff that the IPhone has and can do, neither will the IPhone ever ever ever catch up to the BB's business prowess, much less surpass RIM.
    This statement was true pre IPhone 3G....
    12-11-10 08:21 PM
    Why do you think Apple will be stonewalled? What makes you think RIM is any more capable of innovating? There's a point of being innovative, but it's another when you can't meet deadlines. And I'm not talking about company deadlines, but market-driven deadlines.
    12-11-10 08:22 PM
    This statement was true pre IPhone 3G....
    I guess someone had missed that Apple shipped more units than RIM worldwide, and that Apple has 23% of the business market vs RIM's dwindling 51%

Why do you think Apple will be stonewalled? What makes you think RIM is any more capable of innovating? There's a point of being innovative, but it's another when you can't meet deadlines. And I'm not talking about company deadlines, but market-driven deadlines.
    Because Apple hasn't been stonewalled and the guy is delusional. Look where the OS has come from 2.0 to now. Look at how much more Exchange support and other security protocols that have been added.

Now what has really changed in the OS in the last 7 years since B&W BBs? Outside some visual polish, case rested.

Apple isn't sitting on its hands like RIM is.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-12-10 at 05:55 AM.
    12-12-10 05:47 AM
    I guess someone had missed that Apple shipped more units than RIM worldwide, and that Apple has 23% of the business market vs RIM's dwindling 51%

Because Apple hasn't been stonewalled and the guy is delusional. Look where the OS has come from 2.0 to now. Look at how much more Exchange support and other security protocols that have been added.

Now what has really changed in the OS in the last 7 years since B&W BBs? Outside some visual polish, case rested.

Apple isn't sitting on its hands like RIM is.

I think that's putting it mildly lol
    12-13-10 01:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD