06-25-10 12:46 AM
89 1234
tools
    Steve Jobs latest in his line of "magical devices" now apears to include a phone that you can only use if you do not touch it. (plays MC Hammer, You Can't Touch This, and walks away laughing).

Me, I'll stick with a phone that can actually make phone calls. How useful.

Oh yes, it's called a BlackBerry and Apple REALLY can't touch this.
    06-24-10 12:40 PM
    Steve Jobs latest in his line of "magical devices" now apears to include a phone that you can only use if you do not touch it. (plays MC Hammer, You Can't Touch This, and walks away laughing).

Me, I'll stick with a phone that can actually make phone calls. How useful.

Oh yes, it's called a BlackBerry and Apple REALLY can't touch this.
    Hey but it looks cool!!

Someone said yesterday you just need to learn how to hold it properly so it does not lose the signal. I wonder if the Jobs manual shows how to hold it.
    Last edited by andyahs; 06-24-10 at 12:45 PM.
    06-24-10 12:43 PM
    Hey but it looks cool!!
    Yes it does.
    06-24-10 12:45 PM
    This thread give me a warm fuzzy feeling
    06-24-10 12:52 PM
    That iOS 4 reception issue is looking more and more like a software bug Boy Genius Report

Looks like its just an OS4 bug and NOT a hardware bug. I can replicate it on my 3GS on OS4 as well.

As we know RIM NEVER has any OS bugs right?

Of course there will be SOME signal loss. Every time you put your hand over the back it cuts off at least some of the signal strength. Doesnt take an engineering degree to have common sense!

Fanboys/girls
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-24-10 at 01:35 PM.
    06-24-10 01:31 PM
    All I can say is Sprint Blackberry Tour....
    06-24-10 01:47 PM
    That iOS 4 reception issue is looking more and more like a software bug Boy Genius Report

Looks like its just an OS4 bug and NOT a hardware bug. I can replicate it on my 3GS on OS4 as well.

Of course there will be SOME signal loss. Every time you put your hand over the back it cuts off at least some of the signal strength. Doesnt take an engineering degree to have common sense!

Fanboys/girls

so now the yellow tint has been explained and will vanish and the antenna issue is infact software related. O the horror of having arguements debunked
    Last edited by spawn026; 06-24-10 at 02:45 PM.
    06-24-10 02:07 PM
    What? You've got to be kidding me. For years people have been telling me that when Apple releases something new it NEVER has bugs or issues. Hmm...
    06-24-10 02:11 PM

Fanboys/girls
    A quick reality check is needed here, there are two different concepts being discussed.
    A. Dropped calls (possibly) due to weak signal getting more attenuated by body contact.
    B. Changing signal meter indication due to attenuation by body contact.

Keep an open mind and try to judge and report based on what you see with your own eyes, on your own phone. Be sceptical about third party reports, nothing else works with the number of trolls and fanbois we see trying to cause trouble here on CB. Make own your assessment of performance during calls on your own phone, and remember the signal indicator only shows relative changes.

Dropped calls could be due to several other causes including poor radio conditions, network congestion, failed cell hopping, or bad signal at the remote handset. Some of these can be difficult to distinguish.

The 5 bar signal meter is completely meaningless if you don't know the calibration into numeric signal strength and the performance characteristics of the receiver. The conversion from measured signal (microvolts, dBm, whatever) into 5 levels of indicator is completely at the discretion of the OS programmers. All we can say for sure is that the limiting sensitivity of the receiver is about -110 to -120dBm (thermal noise level) and a measured signal around -90dBm should be more than adequate for most phones. However, depending on the distance from the transmitter, received signal could easily be more than -30dBm. The programmer could easily set a span of 10dB for each bar, and show signals from -110dbm (0 bars and won't work) to -60dbm (5 bars), or 5dB for each bar and show a range from -85dBm (0 bars) to -60dBm (5 bars). The second option makes the same phone look much better to the uninformed user, because it still works with zero bars of signal indicator.

As a rough estimate for the impact of how the phone is held I made a very quick test. With my Bold held by 2 fingers at the top (distant from the antenna) it shows about -74dBm received signal. Moving the same 2 fingers to grip the phone over the antenna (below the keypad) the signal reduces to about -84 dBm. That's a 10dB change, which means two fingers interfere and attenuate the signal by 90% - only 10% of the original signal gets through. Switching back to bar graph, that's from 5 bars down to 4.
    06-24-10 02:38 PM
    Keep an open mind and try to judge and report based on what you see with your own eyes, on your own phone. Be sceptical about third party reports, nothing else works with the number of trolls and fanbois we see trying to cause trouble here on CB. Make own your assessment of performance during calls on your own phone....
    Which has been my way of going about it since this thread started. This is
    the only way to go.
    06-24-10 02:41 PM
    Which has been my way of going about it since this thread started. This is
    the only way to go.
    You may be in a minority of one
    06-24-10 03:01 PM
    Some people found a solution to this. You need to protect your phone with that "bumper" apple sales. LOL. Genius fix hahahah. If you ask me adding any "bumper" on this phone would kill the sleek look it has and ruin the thinness of the device....2 things Jobs bragged about.
    I hope they fix this soon, it sucks for the people that spent good $ on this device and have to learn how to old the phone in a certain way so they could make calls.
    But apple always said it media first and a phone second.
    There's still sometime before it comes to Canada... I hope this problem will get fixed ASAP. I wanted to get this phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 03:31 PM
    You may be in a minority of one
    Hmmm... Is 'a minority of one' an oxymoron?
    06-24-10 03:38 PM
    Put a bumper on it, not a big deal.

Steve Jobs

Sent from my iPhone 3GS
    06-24-10 06:01 PM
    hahhaha I just lol'ed.
    06-24-10 06:13 PM
    i dont get why people are even in this section. Your whole point is to slam a device to justify yours? I'm so glad blackberry is a "business" mans phone because you business men are incredibly mature; YAY
    06-24-10 06:23 PM
    This was a concern by a lot of tech folks but you would assume Apple tested this concept fully before going forward with it's release.......
    ^^I agree. This may become a recall issue and that's not a good look for the Apple. They need to get this resolved fast...
    06-24-10 06:41 PM
    i dont get why people are even in this section. Your whole point is to slam a device to justify yours? I'm so glad blackberry is a "business" mans phone because you business men are incredibly mature; YAY
    Look at who started the thread in the first place, just another Berry fanboy coming into the iPhone section to try and start ****. It's aholes like them that are making this section of CB suck. I am almost at the point where it's not worth it to come to this forum anymore.
    06-24-10 07:06 PM

This just made my ******* day lolololololololololol.

Lord Jobs has spoketh, now act!
    06-24-10 09:10 PM

This just made my ******* day lolololololololololol.

Lord Jobs has spoketh, now act!
    This cannot be a legit response from Jobs. Everybody holds a phone differently so Apple is now instructing us on how to hold their new marvel........
    06-24-10 09:17 PM
    This cannot be a legit response from Jobs. Everybody holds a phone differently so Apple is now instructing us on how to hold their new marvel........
    Lord Jobs has spoken, for the new iPhone requires delicate handling to make sure all the magic he's infused it with stays intact. It is you who must change, not the phone!

Do not question Lord Jobs response, lest you be burned at the stake you heathen!
    06-24-10 09:21 PM
    I'm sorry, but this is nothing more than a total lack of moderation on the forums part. Its rediculous to let this foolishness get to the point it has. I've got better things to do with my time than to read around a buch of posts by bored high school kids. This forum is obviously run by and inhabited by a bunch of undisciplined teenagers. There is nothing to be learned here. Ban me or whatever it is you do. X me, I'm out.
    06-24-10 09:41 PM
    I'm sorry, but this is nothing more than a total lack of moderation on the forums part. Its rediculous to let this foolishness get to the point it has. I've got better things to do with my time than to read around a buch of posts by bored high school kids. This forum is obviously run by and inhabited by a bunch of undisciplined teenagers. There is nothing to be learned here. Ban me or whatever it is you do. X me, I'm out.
    Its funny when a mod comes in and does the blasting as well. The only mod that should have any real say in this forum is Duvi, not someone who only uses a BB.
    06-24-10 09:53 PM
    Well...I'm watching this issue, very closely. Cuz I'm comin' out of $499 to get this phone, and I don't feel like I should have to hold it a "certain way" to make calls.

That's quite janky. I'm all set to put my accessories on Ebay and keep on movin' with my 9700 and wait for a good Android phone on AT&T.
    06-24-10 09:59 PM
    06-24-10 10:06 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD