Alright, I figured we can have a centralized thread for the new iPhone coming to At&t.
    Here's what I know (Speculate).

Date:
    Mid-Year

Suggestions:
    Slide Out KeyBoard
    Push Email

Luckily for me I have a new upgrade available July so I'll be set for it.
    01-12-10 10:47 AM
    well what i really, really want is a flash on the camera....i miss that so much about the bb...
    01-12-10 01:03 PM
    A slide out keyboard would be awful. I'm sure Apple won't implement it.
    01-12-10 01:19 PM
    NO slide out keyboard! Please don't turn it into a hemmaDROID!
    NO removable battery! Apple you re-invented the smart phone.. you did this by leading not following like many who do in circles!
    iChat!
    OLED!
    I already have push e-mail.. don't know why people keep asking.. I can have multiple "push" e-mails on my phone now. Gmail via exchange, yahoo, MobileMe (the best), microcrap activesync .. on and on
    720p hd resolution! (just to say you have it lol)
    Flash? Could care less, flash doesn't work correctly on 90% of the phones that have it now.
    01-12-10 02:16 PM
    How about ... MORE memory?!
    I fill up pretty fast. Convert movies to top quality possible and they turn out a few gigs.
    01-12-10 02:30 PM
    The memory will of course increase. It does each time. We're probaby looking at 32 and 64 Gigs
    01-12-10 02:37 PM
    I'm not worried about the price either. With my upgrade being scheduled for that time frame I will get it easily at $199 or $299.. I'm guessing that will probably be their upgrade price.
    Or I might just order it online and sell it over ebay. I'm very content with the 3gs
    01-12-10 02:41 PM
    The flash would be nice, the keyboard, I wouldn't want.
    01-12-10 05:42 PM
    no keyboard, honestly, i dont see the whole wanting of a flash on the phone. i had it on my bold, and it didnt add anything but a fake ugly looking light to the photo. if its that dark that i need light, i probably shouldnt be using my phone for the pic anyway. i would like to see a different gui similar to the htc sense ui. also some multitasking, at least 3 or 4 apps that I choose.
    01-12-10 10:41 PM
    Agreed. Flashes on phones really are useless since theyre so small. If its that dark you need a flash the camera isnt going to get a good picture either way. This isnt a high end digital camera lens and flash.

I dont see a need to add a slider keyboard and ruin the form factor. Many Many phones are going touchscreen only and work just fine. In fact the iphone still has one of the best touchscreen inputs out there.

Definitely bump up the processor, faster ones like the Snapdragon 1ghz are out there. Its good now, but could be better too.

Definitely higher res screen, again its perfectly fine now, but more cant hurt. OLED would definitely be nice to save battery life isnce they use less power and its already such a big screen which is one of the biggest battery hogs on the device besides data.

same with a higher res camera (5mp), it cant hurt to upgrade it and Apple has always had good cameras/photo imaging software in the iphone compared to higher MP camera phones.

I wouldnt change too much with the design or form factor, it sells for what it is, and is still an insanely thin phone that is still good in the hand and light weight.

But definitely get a bigger battery in there. there are thin batteries now that are more than 1150mah. They could easily get a 1500mah battery in there and greatly increase the battery life just with that not counting the other things like OLED and such that would help too.

A front facing camera would be great, but I dont think its a must have since the cell networks and 3G cant really handle video chat until LTE comes. Itd be more of a little extra but certainly not close to a deal breaker at all.

Id much rather they work in the OS and polish it and get better notifications then tinker with the hardware more then a better screen, battery, camera and processor (all evolutionary really). Im sure youll see 32/64gb this time around since they seem to double every version in capacoty.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-12-10 at 10:57 PM.
    01-12-10 10:54 PM
    Hardware...camera with a flash flash, LED light and a better battery.

Software...notifications and multi-tasking.

That's all I can think of for now. Not a lot, but that would make the iPhone the perfect smartphone in my opinion. And it's pretty darn close to perfect now Well, not quite, but close enough
    01-13-10 04:18 AM
    Must Haves:
    - Better Battery: They know the battery is sub par and they know their device is a energy beast, this is the number one thing that should be top of their list.

- Push Email: Although this might not be likely so Apple can sell people MobileMe which is just........another topic.

- Multi-tasking: Need I say more?

Nice to Haves:
    - LED flash for camera
    - Some type of customization for personal touch
    - LED light for notifications on the front

I agree with walds11, not much Apple has to do in order to win the majority of smartphone users over.
    01-14-10 02:51 PM
    The iphone has done push email for a long time, not just their own MobileMe. It does MS Exchange, Yahoo, and Gmail. What else does it need?
    01-14-10 06:36 PM
    They wont do a lot though, purposely.
    If they give us everything to make the phone perfect then there is nothing left to keep us wanting more :/.
    It's a great business strategy and its even good for the consumer.
    You're satisfied for what you have, yet when the new one comes out you also purchase because it is yet again better and are thus satisfied again. The consumer is always satisfied and the manufacturer stays in business by continuously bringing something new to the market.
    01-14-10 08:23 PM
    NO removable battery! Apple you re-invented the smart phone.. you did this by leading not following like many who do in circles!
    Why is a removable battery a bad idea for a device which has a terrible reputation (justifiably so) as a battery hog?

Agreed. Flashes on phones really are useless since theyre so small. If its that dark you need a flash the camera isnt going to get a good picture either way. This isnt a high end digital camera lens and flash.
    I disagree. I would rather have a so so picture taken in low light conditions, than have no picture at all for want of a flash.
    The iPhone is touted as a device that excels at media. Why should I have to carry my digital camera around with me for everyday pictures?
    01-17-10 01:32 PM
    I'm brand new to the iPhone. I have a 3GS. It's a night and day comparison when you compare to the storm. I would like to see the iPhone have a more usefull fileing system. With the berries, I could move files and create folders. It seemed like I could customize just about everything to work how I wanted to. I could also open and edit spreadsheets and documents that are emailed to me with out syncing from my laptop first.
    01-17-10 08:40 PM
    Jailbreak, itll solve all those things plus some

Also get DocstoGo, same program as the BB uses for docs/excel/etc
    01-17-10 08:42 PM
    As common as jailbreaking is I can honestly say I'm a bit hesitant to do so.

I already bought docs to go and it awesome! Great app! But if someone sends me a spread sheet, I can view it but I can't edit it. I was told email system cannot open an attatchment in another program. But like I said earlier, I'm still very new to the iPhone.
    01-17-10 08:54 PM
    if its gmail or an exchange account set it up in docstogo and you can get to the attachemnts within the DocstoGo app and edit them.

Theres really no other way other then jailbreaking to access the filesystem to save attachments and move them around to edit them yet
    01-17-10 09:35 PM
    Agreed. I don't like sliders. Just look at all of the Droid owners complaining about their loose/broken sliders.
    Well my Droid for one has had no slider issues, so that rules out ALL of the Droids are having trouble. Can you point me to some posts that confirm your allegations?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-10 10:43 PM
    Well my Droid for one has had no slider issues, so that rules out ALL of the Droids are having trouble. Can you point me to some posts that confirm your allegations?

Are you feeling a little defensive?

01-17-10 11:25 PM
    I disagree. I would rather have a so so picture taken in low light conditions, than have no picture at all for want of a flash.
    The iPhone is touted as a device that excels at media. Why should I have to carry my digital camera around with me for everyday pictures?
    We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I mean if you stand across a dark room (10-12 feet) and try to take a picture of an object itll come out barely visible, not even worth the picture. Sure, if youre 2-3 feet away the flash will help, but thats only such a limited circumstance.

If were talking a Xenon flash then maybe thats a different story, but the yellow LED really does little for the picture more than 5 feet or so away

Are you feeling a little defensive?
    He's always a little defensive of his Droid yet continues to plaster "Droid Droid Droid" all over the iphone section for some reason like we care. I mean last time I checked this WASNT the Android subforum.

Its funny how you said "all owners" in a general sense and of course the defensive comment is well im not so its not "all." We all get what you meant and one or 2 good ones doesnt negate the claim that the build quality as an AVERAGE is shoddy.
    01-18-10 12:30 PM
    Well I don't hate the iPhone, its certainly a decent phone, I just hate how Apple runs the show and locks it down. BTW the build quality isn't really good on any phone, how bout the iphones that caught on fire or the ones that the plastic case cracked? Everything at some point in time will have defective units.
    My phones LED is not yellow?
    We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I mean if you stand across a dark room (10-12 feet) and try to take a picture of an object itll come out barely visible, not even worth the picture. Sure, if youre 2-3 feet away the flash will help, but thats only such a limited circumstance.

If were talking a Xenon flash then maybe thats a different story, but the yellow LED really does little for the picture more than 5 feet or so away

He's always a little defensive of his Droid yet continues to plaster "Droid Droid Droid" all over the iphone section for some reason like we care. I mean last time I checked this WASNT the Android subforum.

Its funny how you said "all owners" in a general sense and of course the defensive comment is well im not so its not "all." We all get what you meant and one or 2 good ones doesnt negate the claim that the build quality as an AVERAGE is shoddy.
    01-18-10 05:54 PM
    The point was you instantly jumped on someone who insulted your own device who had a valid point. Yes, not EVERY one is having the problem but that doesnt discount the people who ARE having the issues. Did EVERY Firestone tire blow out on Explorers? no, but that doesnt mean there wasnt a huge problem because it didnt happen to every single one. Theres no extremes on either end of the spectrum here.

And its been said over and over everyone knows or should have known how Apple treats the phone, but that sandbox is what attracts people from 2-102 who can use the phone. Look at more complex platforms like WM, you can brick your phone in about 2 seconds flat with a wrong keypress. If you really want to tinker with it jailbreaking takes about 10 seconds flat and is reversible and then you can do just as much as any other platform
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-18-10 at 06:52 PM.
    01-18-10 06:36 PM
    1. Notification LED
    2. Multi-tasking

everything else is gravy....
    01-18-10 07:35 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD