Hello all,
    I'm thinking about buying an iphone but before doing so I'm concerned about the following;

1) I'm a current verizon subscriber and the service has not been bad at all.
    2) My cell phone is the main phone that I use on a daily basis (4-5 hours a day)
    3) I was thinking about buying the storm but have not been happy with the quality compared to the iphone.

While the iphone seems like a great device, I'm concerned that drop calls on the ATT network will affect me calling my clients in which I may spend over 30 minutes at a time with them on the phone.

can you please provide me some guidance to help make the right decision to either stay with verizon, or, know that going with the ATT network and an iphone will provide me the essentials to know I've made the right decision?

I'm in the Bay Area of California.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ppenner; 12-02-08 at 10:40 PM.
    12-02-08 10:33 PM
    I have an IPhone which I disconnected however use as a wifi device at home. It is great. Not sure how the call quality is now with the 2.2 update I ran on my 2G iPhone. I'm with you. The Storm is close but not sure yet. My Pearl 8130 is frustrating.

Also in the Bay area

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 10:56 PM
    I've been told with the new 2.2 release the iphone has greatly improved it's call quality and now has a lot less dropped calls in the bay area.

any others who've updated their iphone with the new 2.2 release experiencing improvements?
    12-02-08 11:05 PM
    If calls are important to you I'd go with the Storm. iPhones are great media devices but imo lack call quality, I've never really had issues in that department with any of my BB's.

12-03-08 02:09 AM
    I haven't used my iPhone since getting the Bold last month, but everyone I know tells me this update is finally doing what it should. One thing is for sure, no matter how good, the call reception quality will always be better on a Blackberry for some time now. This is not to say the iPhone is bad, but not on the Blackberries level.

What I would suggest is finding a lot of users (macrumors.com) and asking for their opinions on the update with 2.2 and the bay area. The update isn't everything, it is also based on location. If a spot always has bad reception, updates can only help so much.
    12-03-08 08:50 AM
    See this is a conundrum ; )

Horrible phone (Storm) great network.

Awesome phone (iPhone) not as good a network.

*i don't want this to turn into a network war that's not my intention.*

12-06-08 01:16 PM
    Just like cereal said, iPhone is a better phone, storm is a better network.

Ive had both iPhone and just switched to the storm. I didnt get calls at my house because i had no service with ATT. Yet verizon is full bars. If you are using the phone mostly for calling , then choose the storm. I was one of the iphone users who got it day 1. It had problems then as well and it just got better. That is what im hoping with the storm. But you cant beat the call quality on the storm and the network.

Oh btw I had the 2.2 update. Dropped calls were fewer but you still had them. The problem with the 3G phone is that it changes from 3G to EDGE if 3G is not available. So lets say you are driving through somewhere that was using 3G but now cant use it anymore, it will revert your phone to EDGE thus disconnecting you from the network, then restarting it up. 2.2 made that happen less but it did happen.
    12-06-08 01:42 PM
    See this is a conundrum ; )

Horrible phone (Storm) great network.

Awesome phone (iPhone) not as good a network.

*i don't want this to turn into a network war that's not my intention.*

Edit.. then delete
    12-07-08 11:58 PM
    AT&T is a great network, just depends on the area. At least neither phone is on Sprint.
    12-08-08 09:49 PM
    I would have to recommend that you base your decision off of which carrier has the better network. I was reading on the net a few weeks ago about a class action lawsuit in California against AT&T due to users complaining of a lack of service. As stated above,just do your research.

12-10-08 12:52 AM
    The IPhone is exactly what they say it is, an Ipod that is also a phone. The features seem to be the only good thing about it, you are better off buying an Ipod touch and grabbing a storm, or get the storm and wait two months, should be a whole new ball game by then.
    12-10-08 01:00 AM
    Seen your post and thought I would reply.

I work for Verizon and have a Storm as part of my employment.

I also have an iPhone (older edge) version that I had before.

The Storm has a host of problems.

#1 Battery drain from high res screen

#2 Terrible text messaging system

#3 problems with tilting from normal to
    wide screen format. Can take as long
    as 5 seconds or even just lock up.

#4 fuzzy screen lock up

#5 zoom is subpar to iPhone

#6 that click to type is aweful if you
    are a fast texter - it will cause you
    to make lots of mistakes because it
    can't keep up.

#7 iPhone has a much smoother and
    easier to use interface

#8 corners on Storm screen have
    problems sensing touch

#9 I cannot compare the turn by turn
    navigation since I am on an edge iPhone

I travel all over and have seen little difference
    with dropped calls or data speeds. While Verizon
    does have a bigger 3G network, it is much slower
    than Sprints or at&t's - not much faster than AT&T's
    edge network which is the biggest in the USA.
    So you will be able to get fairly decent data rates
    on AT&T everywhere.

Unless you are using lots of business application transfers
    the iPhone is much better overall and won't
    run out of power in 10 minutes.
    12-20-08 09:20 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.com vzwbytrade

I always thought the same about Verizon's 3g... it isn't far from class 10 EDGE on at&t.
    12-20-08 06:32 PM
    Ok, what about people who don't have the provider issue (like me obviously, cause I live in Belgium, so the phones are not sold along with providers' contracts). If the decision-making doesn't come down to the networks, dropped calls, etc... how do the 2 phones compare?

The fact that the Storm doesn't have Wi-fi is pretty annoying.. But I would need the phone for making calls (so is there a non-network-related quality difference?), textmessaging, email, using the calendar (is there a color-code mode on the Storm or Bold? and if not, are there apps for this?), browsing, and finally multimedia..

I've been checking out the Storm, Bold and Iphone for over a month now, and I still can't decide. They're just so different. The iphone looks overall great, but I'm really all for BB , so if there are enough apps for Bold or storm, syncing with a Mac goes without problems, then I would like to know.

Anyone?
    12-25-08 06:26 AM
    If you have a mac, depending on what you would need synced, it may not be the best experience in the world.

One of my closest friends just got a macbook and he has been cursing up a Storm (pun intended) for the lack of mac support from RIM for the mac. He is now thinking of getting an iPhone.

SMS - IM like chat style and it is awesome. iPhone > BB
    Email - Never had problems with push and there are other solutions for other email providers (gmail and others) to get push. HTML is awesome of this beast. In fact, it looks better on my iPhone then it does on my yahoo on the PC. iPhone > BB
    Media - Don't really have to go into it. iPhone > BB

Of course this is all from my experience... and I have a bold as my primary now, lol. It works for me.
    12-25-08 12:09 PM
    Nice, what were the main factors for you to go for the Bold? Did you used to have an Iphone? I still don't know if I need everything Apple's Iphone has to offer, and if it wouldn't be better to go for the Bold (which is a damn beautifull peace of equipment ), but I keep hearing that browsing on it isn't all that, and that there are no color-code apps for the BB Calendar to seperate work/home related appointments.

On the other hand, the Iphone here costs €525 for 8GB and €615 for the 16GB, which is a lot of money.

thanks for anwsering btw!

ps: I do also have a windows pc, so I don't need to sync my calendar and contacts with my Macbook.
    12-25-08 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD