The main thing that I give up if I switch back is the great browsing experience with the Safari browser. Other than that, I won't miss the other things, ie, iPod, apps, etc.

My plan is to give the BB 9700 a shot. I can always return it hassle free within 30 days or just keep it. No need to sell my 3GS as I only paid $199 for it and it would cost me a lot more to get one back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 06:25 AM
    I'm also going to be having a look at the 9700 next week when it launches, just to see if it can change my mind on any of the reasons I swapped my 8900 for the 3GS a few months back.
    Would be good to have BBM back for sure, and a camera flash, not to mention the LED, but I'd miss touch-screen Safari in a big way and the iPod too.
    We shall see

11-03-09 01:56 PM
    just played with the iphone today, ive said i would never buy one but i may have to after using it seemed like a great device but ill probably hang onto my bb as well cant give up bbm
    11-03-09 08:17 PM
    I'm also going to be having a look at the 9700 next week when it launches, just to see if it can change my mind on any of the reasons I swapped my 8900 for the 3GS a few months back.
    Would be good to have BBM back for sure, and a camera flash, not to mention the LED, but I'd miss touch-screen Safari in a big way and the iPod too.
    We shall see

I keep reading how great safari is and I have to agree. The only problem I have with it versus my Storm is that the text is so freaking small. Zooming in helps, but then I find myself having to pan all over the screen to read things. Any way to set it to something similar to column view lik on the Storm?

11-04-09 06:58 AM
    I've had a couple of colleagues return to BB's, due to BES versus webmail.
    11-04-09 11:03 AM
    True but I dont think you can really count the BES strangehold; you either are required to use it or not. I think this is more the conscious choice to return really.
    11-04-09 11:53 AM
    Yes, I s'pose you're right. In fact both of them said that as consumers they preferred their iPhones.

They're perhaps a little on the "gizmo" end of the spectrum, but both were fond of the design-oriented iPhone, and are therefore slightly underwhelmed with the harder-edged feel of the BlackBerry.
    11-04-09 04:18 PM
    Yes, you are wrong. It is a toy if you use it as a toy. Same goes for the BB. It's only a tool if you use it that way.
    this is one of the best responses for this that i think i've ever read. very well done.
    11-04-09 05:24 PM
    I keep reading how great safari is and I have to agree. The only problem I have with it versus my Storm is that the text is so freaking small. Zooming in helps, but then I find myself having to pan all over the screen to read things. Any way to set it to something similar to column view lik on the Storm?

i actually dont mind the texting, and the safari! man is that thing quick compared to my bb internet
    11-04-09 06:22 PM
    I had the Curve 8310 for a year or more and loved it. Got the 3G iPhone a few months ago as a present. It's nice and all, but I really do miss the physical keyboard of my Curve, as i txt and email a good bit. I make WAY too many mistakes with the touchscreen keyboard. Looking to move back to BB and get the Bold.
    11-05-09 10:36 PM
    Will never go back to black(berry) unless they recieve an entire UI overhaul. iPhone has been doing great for my needs!
    16GB 3GS

11-05-09 10:51 PM
    I feel exactly the same way about the touchscreen keyboard. I am patiently waiting for the Bold 9700 to be released. Hope I won't be disappointed with it. For some strange reason, I think I might be dissappointed. I go back and forth with the idea of going back to BB. Only time will tell.

I had the Curve 8310 for a year or more and loved it. Got the 3G iPhone a few months ago as a present. It's nice and all, but I really do miss the physical keyboard of my Curve, as i txt and email a good bit. I make WAY too many mistakes with the touchscreen keyboard. Looking to move back to BB and get the Bold.
    Last edited by walds11; 11-06-09 at 02:41 AM.
    11-06-09 02:38 AM
    I had an iPhone, was then given a BlackBerry but the software I was given to sync my BlackBerry was full of bugs. it messed with my address book. I ended up ringing people i didn't want to ring because it switched loads of my numbers in my mac address book.
    Also, wasn't keen on the media player on BB.
    Loved its email and internet capability. it's pretty straightforward in my opinion, BB is good for some stuff (email, data driven internet, push social media) and the iPhone is great for syncing with my mac, basic things like calls and texts - they're fine - and also web browsing is great, if a little slow.
    All best,
    Measly
    11-06-09 04:02 AM
    I had an iPhone since the 2G, got the 3G..and in May sold it and got a Bold.
    I loved the Bold but the Media/apps didnt compare to the iphone (just my opinion)..so I just got a 3Gs.
    I miss the keyboard on the Bold and a few other things but the pros on the iphone out weigh the cons.

I stand by the fact that both phones are great...and hate when people bash one or the other (and havent tried both)

Its a matter of preference/need.
    11-06-09 08:48 AM
    this is one of the best responses for this that i think i've ever read. very well done.
    Thanks. Seems like everyone forgets it's all about the user.
    11-06-09 12:50 PM
    Everyone knows but people like to think they have the best no matter what they choose and put down anything they didnt choose as second rate. There is no "best" its what's best for each individual.
    11-06-09 04:13 PM
    i went: 3G-Bold-3G-8900-3GS

I'm pretty much sticking with the 3GS until maybe the touchscreen boldish blackberry is released.
    11-06-09 06:09 PM
    Curve>1G>Curve>Bold>3G>Bold>3GS.

The only reason I kept going back to BB was the iphone battery life.

My 3GS battery is more than good so I'm happy & staying put.
    I do Miss BBM & the LED though.
    11-06-09 08:03 PM
    Wow, you've been back and forth. Can't hurt to try, right?

I miss the LED as well. How hard would it be for Apple to add the LED?

Curve>1G>Curve>Bold>3G>Bold>3GS.

The only reason I kept going back to BB was the iphone battery life.

My 3GS battery is more than good so I'm happy & staying put.
    I do Miss BBM & the LED though.
    11-07-09 04:41 AM
    I purchased my iPhone for a personal device as that my employer will not allow us to download anything personal or entertainment wise on our BB's. I have had one replacement with it due to hardware failure. I do love the phone, but would never want it as business device. I don't know that I will want another one, I am sure that when the time comes there will be a new iPhone or something better.
    11-07-09 08:01 AM
    Wow, you've been back and forth. Can't hurt to try, right?

I miss the LED as well. How hard would it be for Apple to add the LED?
    Well you know that each time they release a new device, they stress that battery life is greatly improved. That's always been greatly exaggerated.

One other reason I wanted to ditch the BB was because I'm a Mac user and BB's never played well with Mac's in the past.
    11-07-09 08:10 AM
    I think I am about to switch also. Unless I win a 9700 from the upcoming crackberry contest.
    11-08-09 03:18 PM
    I am so torn on making the switch and I have not even handled a 9700 yet, but feel the hype of it. I really like my 3GS. As I have said before, I really miss some things on the BB...LED light, customization, ease of calendar use (too many steps to make a calendar entry), full QWERTY keyboard, etc. I still do many typos on my iPhone, even in landscape mode. The BB browser works fine, but the Safari browser blows it away. What really pisses me off is that I could not access my accounts on certain bank websites on my BB. Would I be able to access them on third party browsers?

Last edited by walds11; 11-08-09 at 05:15 PM.
    11-08-09 04:48 PM
    I had the same problem with banks even though the bank (Bank of America) specifically says it supports blackberries. They obviously havent updated to recognize the newer browser from the newer Blackberries past the Curve

Just get a 9700 for typing and an ipod touch for the apps and safari. You'll still have wifi and and prob bluetooth tether them together on the road.

thats what Im doing. Love my iphone but doing a lot more email lately than calls by far so I need a keyboard. When i do make a call i find the iphone to be exceptionally poor as a phone (volume especially). But ill for sure be getting an ipod touch to still have all my apps and safari.

Since with ATT its either BB or iphone (no Android which is a good mix of the 2) Ill just use this combination for now.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-08-09 at 05:08 PM.
    11-08-09 05:04 PM
    The 9700/iPod touch combo sounds great, but unfortunately, I do not have wifi at home or at work where I use it the most.

I do heavy web browsing, moderate emailing and light phone calling on a daily basis, so having a good browser and keyboard means a lot to me. I did hear that RIM acquired a company called Torch Mobile, which is supposed to improve the BB browser. That is great news. I was not a heavy smartphone web surfer until I got the iPhone. Maybe I browse too much now and going back to BB will make me do it less. I also find myself using my home computer less since I got my iPhone. I chill on the couch and surf the web and check email.

11-08-09 05:44 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD