I had a BB for about 3 1/2 years and switched from an 8900 to an iPhone 3GS in June. I had a Pearl prior to the 8900. I returned the 8900 within the 30 day hassle free return window. The touchscreen is great for browsing, apps, games and a few other things, but is not that great for typing emails in my opinion. I miss the full QWERTY keyboard. The BB has true push email and you can do more customization with the device. If BB could come close to the iPhone's Safari browser and customization, I would jump back in an instant. The killer browsing experience on the iPhone is the only thing that could hold me from going back to BB. I do tons of browsing on my iPhone. I guess the BB browser is just ok and the Safari browser is great. I even miss the LED light on the BB and a few other minor things, but they are a big deal to me. These are some reasons why I would go back.

Just so you know, I have my eye on the upcoming 9700.

Would this thread be better suited in the General BlackBerry Discussion forum?
    10-19-09 05:44 AM
    I just use both phones. But I keep my Blackberry data plan. So I switch sim cards whenever I feel like it. The only thing I won't get while using the iPhone is VVM or the PUSH e-mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 06:20 AM
    I've used BB for four years, then tried out the 3GS for three months and thought I was missing out on the BB "world". I went back to BB with a Tour and within a month I came back to the 3GS as my main phone. The iPhone, for me, is just a better phone in too many categories.

I do miss the push email, but to be honest do you really need INSTANT notification of an email? 99% of folks are not that important, and if you are you'd get a call or even a text message. I really missed the different profiles and LED notification light, but overall I can deal with it.

The iPhone is smoother, faster, has better apps (by far), and does multimedia better than no other. Also, everything RIM is coming out with now the iPhone already has. Look at the specs and features of the Storm 2...the iPhone already has those features. It's sad.
    10-19-09 06:45 AM
    I had BB for 3 years before I switched to the 3G last year, lasted 4 months with the Iphone, but it wasn't for me so I switched back to BBs
    10-19-09 07:22 AM
    Neither... I'm staying with both.

Also with Gmail having push now, it isn't too bad. Not like push email really matters to me.
    10-19-09 11:36 AM
    I carry a BlackBerry Tour and an iPod Touch. Best of both worlds. Good thing I have a monstrous purse LoL.

10-20-09 07:52 AM
    IF the day ever comes that Iphone comes to Verizon, then I will consider it. In the meantime I'll live with an ITouch and my Tour.
    10-20-09 08:18 AM
    I use an iPhone 3GS and a Bold. The iPhone is my main device because I get better use out of it. Push is just as fast for me, and I love the push notification especially for sports apps. The apps are better, the OS is smoother and more stable, and the device has synced with my MacBook perfectly since the 2G. I do love my Bold and BBs though. I'm just waiting for a revamped OS.

10-20-09 08:26 AM
    I think many people would prefer the iphone over the blackberry, I wouldn't but i know some poeple that would. And isn't the main reason the iphone OS runs smoother is because it doesnt multitask? To me that's a good and a bad thing. But I'm not sure if that's why it runs smoother... I prefer the blackberry, if i ever had an iphone I wouldn't know what to do since I would rarely listen to music, look at videos, and browse the web. On my blackberry I do that from time to time but probably about 1 time a week. for like 30 minutes. And I've heard the speakers on the 3Gs isnt as loud as on the 8900, an iphone user told me this, and she's switching to a blackberry soon, which she prefers. I don't really agree that the apps are better, i just think they're 'prettier'. But this is just my opinion
    10-20-09 08:46 AM
    It's all about personal preference. I love my MobileMe with instant push e-mail, photos, cloud HD, instant push calendars and contacts with ota syncing. I am a current operations manager for a German owned company and for business it works and works well. MobileMe btw is the personal email not the business one.. ;-).
    BB's are better for some people and iPhones for others, be thankful we have choices.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 10-20-09 at 09:08 AM.
    10-20-09 09:04 AM
    I've never had an I phone, but it seem to me that the I phone is a toy and the BlackBerry is a tool. Am I wrong?
    10-20-09 05:24 PM
    as soon as the onyx comes out, im definitely coming back
    10-20-09 08:15 PM
    And isn't the main reason the iphone OS runs smoother is because it doesnt multitask?
    No it is because Apple writes better software. My iPhone is jailbroken and runs just as smooth as not being jailbroken. Even with multiple apps in the background. The battery life is just worse (with multiple apps in the background), but that is to be expected.
    10-20-09 09:44 PM
    I've never had an I phone, but it seem to me that the I phone is a toy and the BlackBerry is a tool. Am I wrong?
    Yes, you are wrong. It is a toy if you use it as a toy. Same goes for the BB. It's only a tool if you use it that way.
    10-20-09 09:45 PM
    Yes, you are wrong. It is a toy if you use it as a toy. Same goes for the BB. It's only a tool if you use it that way.
    I agree with this, and I think it applies in a lot of cases. The iPhone can be a great Biz tool but if you use it as a toy, then it defeats its purpose as a business tool.
    10-20-09 09:54 PM
    would you consider the new android phone?

10-20-09 10:18 PM
    I have not considered it, yet. It's not on AT&T though.

would you consider the new android phone?

10-21-09 03:06 AM
    No it is because Apple writes better software. My iPhone is jailbroken and runs just as smooth as not being jailbroken. Even with multiple apps in the background. The battery life is just worse (with multiple apps in the background), but that is to be expected.
    so the only way u can enable multi tasking is by jailbreaking it? and i realized yesterday i had a lotof apps on my blackberry running at the same time, i was out most of the time but used it from time to time, from about 11am - 8pm and when i checked at 8 my battery was at 90, pretty good if u ask me.
    10-21-09 06:49 AM
    so the only way u can enable multi tasking is by jailbreaking it? and i realized yesterday i had a lotof apps on my blackberry running at the same time, i was out most of the time but used it from time to time, from about 11am - 8pm and when i checked at 8 my battery was at 90, pretty good if u ask me.
    If I barely touch my iPhone/ Bold and leave multiple apps in the background, the battery life won't really drain that much. If I leave multiple apps running in the background on my iPhone and Bold and actually use the devices, the battery will drain with a significant increase. Plus the memory leak added to the Bold.

Yes the only way to enable multitasking (of third party apps, native apps already multitask) on the iPhone is by jailbreaking.
    10-21-09 04:49 PM
    If I barely touch my iPhone/ Bold and leave multiple apps in the background, the battery life won't really drain that much. If I leave multiple apps running in the background on my iPhone and Bold and actually use the devices, the battery will drain with a significant increase. Plus the memory leak added to the Bold.

Yes the only way to enable multitasking (of third party apps, native apps already multitask) on the iPhone is by jailbreaking.
    As much as I love my iPhone, I admit that the need to jailbreak your phone to get the full use of it is a major major problem that Apple should get on right away instead of trying to suppress it. There is no reason apple cant open the phone set standards for themes or whatever and still maintain the integrity of the platform. So plus 1 for BB. On the other hand, now that I've jailbroken my phone, I look at my fathers BB Curve (which is real nice no doubt) and my girlfriends tour, and I just cant get into it, I find the UI, overly complex and the menu system horrific. On the other hand, the iPhone UI is simplistic and clean.

To the gentleman who asked about tools/toys, all apple products are thought of as "toys" the truth is this toy is what maintains my school work and job, its just a societal stereotype. I play and work on it, its insanity.

However, I would kill for that LED on the top of the BB on my iPhone. At the end really all it is really is whatever floats your boat, some people cant stand the lack of a keyboard, others cant stand the BB OS. Personally, I dig the iPhone but I wouldnt recommend it to anyone who likes to super customize their phone until apple learns to open up its OS, however I know that eventually ill have to have both.
    10-21-09 05:38 PM
    Yeah I agree it is really whatever floats your boat. I personally don't understand the hype over the iphone... My friends all have them but I'm with the 8900, a blackberry with no 3G, and so far both phones practically do the same. But some are switching to blackberries now since they're bored with the iphone.
    10-23-09 10:24 AM
    Yeah I agree it is really whatever floats your boat. I personally don't understand the hype over the iphone... My friends all have them but I'm with the 8900, a blackberry with no 3G, and so far both phones practically do the same. But some are switching to blackberries now since they're bored with the iphone.
    10-23-09 10:24 AM
    There are things about the BlackBerry that I miss. I miss BBM and being able to download video from websites. I don't miss the daily rebooting, the jumbled html email, the slow browser, and the UI. I wouldn't go back to the BB, not because I don't like them - I love BBs. I am more into multimedia now and there isn't a device that is comparable to the iphone experience. Also, I prefer typing on the iphone - go figure. I am a lot faster and accurate - as it is taking me forever t seems to type this out on my wife's Tour.

10-24-09 10:09 AM
    I would love to be rich enough to use both.. but until RIM steps up their browser game, I'll be sticking with the iPhone.
    10-28-09 01:24 PM
    The BlackBerry was a better device to me about a couple of years ago when all I did was make calls, text, and email. Now I am more into multimedia and needed a device that was faster and more capable handling multimedia tasks. That's why I switched. If BBs could rival the iPhone in multimedia, I would consider switching back, but even then it would be unlikely. If you have an iPhone for more than a month, it's hard to give up. You invest so much money into apps, music, and videos it makes it not worth switching unless you have an iPod, which I don't.

11-01-09 03:50 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD