I think eventually, the majority of phones in the world will be running on Android. The thing with Android is, it can be almost infinitely customized by the phone maker. They can stick it in feature phones if they don't like creating a new OS for one. They can stick it in a dozen different models in screen sizes, form factors, and processors. It's just a matter of time before RIM becomes a niche player in the Enterprise/Government market, and Apple becomes what it is now with computers. That's not a bad thing for Apple. Apple's always prided itself on making exclusive hardware, and not just commodity tech products.
    07-25-10 11:58 PM
    Wait a second... is this the same Yankee Group that was embroiled in the whole Microsoft-Linux thing? Careful what you read and infer. They are not researchers, IMHO.

LOL... c'mon people...

FTR, I think the percentage of folks that will return to iPhone/AT&T is larger than 80%
    07-26-10 12:02 AM
    Google is a fact headed that way, earlier android phones did not have this crapware; you are starting to see it more and more on the newer devices. Also, from what I understand you cannot remove it, hacking your phone does not count as a good 90% of android users in the US doesn't even know what rooting is let alone do it.

What are you guys feelings on why the Nexus One got the ax? (not sarcasm, serious q) It didn't seem so outdated to me.
    I would agree... the vast majority of Android users will NEVER root their devices. I would say the same percentage of iPhone users will never jb their devices. I roll with some very tech savvy iPhone users, and none of them jb it (which,in truth, is a testament to the suitability of the device).

But... you can remove the bloatware, and rooting is fairly easy on most devices.

I know it is a cardinal sin to say anything positive about competing devices, but I readily admit that the iPhone is a hot device... not for me at the moment, but my eyes are peeled.
    07-26-10 12:06 AM
    I think eventually, the majority of phones in the world will be running on Android. The thing with Android is, it can be almost infinitely customized by the phone maker. They can stick it in feature phones if they don't like creating a new OS for one. They can stick it in a dozen different models in screen sizes, form factors, and processors. It's just a matter of time before RIM becomes a niche player in the Enterprise/Government market, and Apple becomes what it is now with computers. That's not a bad thing for Apple. Apple's always prided itself on making exclusive hardware, and not just commodity tech products.
    I have over-replied to this thread () but I had to reply to this.

I agree!

In fact,I am selfishly bothered by the over-proliferation of Android devices. Kills the unique factor. I know, I know... doesn't make sense, and popular devices have the best apps and such (I crave apps). Still, I wish I could have it both ways. One reason I changed my mind about the iPhone was it seemed too cliche for me.

*sigh* I am too tough too please.
    07-26-10 12:10 AM
    Google is a fact headed that way, earlier android phones did not have this crapware; you are starting to see it more and more on the newer devices. Also, from what I understand you cannot remove it, hacking your phone does not count as a good 90% of android users in the US doesn't even know what rooting is let alone do it.

What are you guys feelings on why the Nexus One got the ax? (not sarcasm, serious q) It didn't seem so outdated to me.
    I'm thinking it's time for a new developer phone to come out. That's probably why. Plus the fact that HTC can't get their hands on enough AMOLED screens might have something to do with it (the reason why the Incredible is still on backorder). I don't think it has anything to do with carrier influence or them not being able to put their crap on it.

Really, it isn't as bad as you seem to make it out or think it is. The carrier apps do NOT slow down the phone and are not in the way of anything. Yes it sucks that they put it there and you don't have a choice, but it's not like it is hurting the phone or your Android experience. Samsungs TouchWiz UI is ****, and that's the type of thing that makes the device slow down. Sense and Moto's new Blur really don't harm the phone at all. I prefer vanilla Android out of all of them though.
    07-26-10 01:44 AM
    I guess I'm in an opposite boat too because I got the Incredible and I'm never going back to Blackberry.
    07-26-10 06:05 AM
    The Nexxus 1 had several problems, starting with the hardware and poor signal reception. Add to that the limited purchase options and the 800 (it seems) other Android phones available on all carriers, and it was just destined to fail. Too bad, because the phone looks nice, feels nice in the hand, and is fast, but it just didn't do well with keeping signal. Makes the whole iPhone signal thing look like nothing.
    07-26-10 04:33 PM
    It looks like HTC is having a problem producing enough AMOLED screens and thus going with the Sony super lcd (from what I hear).
    07-27-10 10:07 AM
    What's the difference between the two?
    07-27-10 10:18 AM
    AMOLED = emissive display = doesn't require a backlight

LCD = transmissive display = requires a backlight
    07-27-10 10:44 AM
    It looks like HTC is having a problem producing enough AMOLED screens and thus going with the Sony super lcd (from what I hear).
    Like I said in my other post. HTC has been having this problem for months, this is old news. That is probably one reason the N1 is gone. The Incredible is still on backorder, and it has been for almost 2 months now. I am surprised it took them this long to switch to SLCD.
    07-27-10 12:32 PM
    FTR, I think the percentage of folks that will return to iPhone/AT&T is larger than 80%
    The real numbers do not even come close to backing that up
    07-27-10 01:28 PM
    The real numbers do not even come close to backing that up
    Could be off, but my non-scientific perception is that most iPhone users re-up.
    07-27-10 07:13 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD