iPhone Owners Love the iPhone. Android Owners... Hate Android.

Read before commenting, and again it's just statistics don't take it to heart people.
    07-23-10 03:55 PM
    Besides being a good device, I think a big reason why iPhone users come back is because there aren't really any good alternatives if you're locked into AT&T. Since most people don't jump ship for a phone, if I had the 3GS then it's more than likely I will get the iPhone 4 (or at least want it) because there's really nothing better to upgrade to. But that's not a bad thing to Apple which is one of the ways that the agreement with AT&T works for them. For Android, IMO it's not a hard platform to switch from.

I think Android is very good but if you're not into hacking your device then you can easily change platforms without remorse. Hard to do that with the iPhone because everything gets so integrated with your life between the phone, mobile me, itunes and even iPod it makes it harder. Whereas most of us have been using Google services for a long time and can continue to use them on different platforms.
    07-23-10 04:12 PM
    +5 great points. Google services can be integrated well with most smartphone platforms
    07-23-10 04:15 PM
    A few points why I think this is true:

1) Apple makes a good product, and has high consumer satisfaction

2) There isnt a new better phone every 2 months

3) The OS is so fragmented and so many manufacturer skins that its hard to keep track of what device has what anymore

4) "Openness" Android offers really is a lie. http://www.precentral.net/why-open-s...ones-oscon2010 A good article on it. Strip away the proprietary parts and nothing on the supposed open Android phone really works.

5) Apps. You may or may not agree but they matter to people to have good extensions of the phone's functions with a good selection of apps.
    07-23-10 04:20 PM
    I think a lot of it is because the early Android devices weren't that good. G1 for example, pretty crappy compared to iPhone 3G. I get the feeling this will change as time goes on and Android gets better. Current devices give iPhone a run for the money. I think in general, users of new Android devices like them almost as much as iPhone people like iPhones.
    07-23-10 04:52 PM
    I think a lot of it is because the early Android devices weren't that good. G1 for example, pretty crappy compared to iPhone 3G. I get the feeling this will change as time goes on and Android gets better. Current devices give iPhone a run for the money. I think in general, users of new Android devices like them almost as much as iPhone people like iPhones.
    This. Early Android devices suck. Even the Hero wasn't that good, but it was the first real sign of hope for Android. Now, I wouldn't trade my device for any other smartphone offering out there. I went from Droid to Droid X, I came back.
    07-23-10 04:56 PM
    4) "Openness" Android offers really is a lie. http://www.precentral.net/why-open-s...ones-oscon2010 A good article on it. Strip away the proprietary parts and nothing on the supposed open Android phone really works.
    While I understand this, Android is still "open". Once the source code is released, and if the device doesn't have a locked bootloader (most don't), a hacker can essentially port over an OS they want to a device. Even if the code isn't released, using a different devices system dump can allow you to port over an OS. For example, the Desire ROM with Sense UI was ported to the Droid. It was also ports to the N1.

Honestly, I can do more with my Droid (hacking wise) than I could with my iPhone. I don't need to wait for updates from Apple or a specific manufacturer. Leaks always happen, and within a day or a few, the new update is rooted and ported to all different devices.

The article does have a lot of good points though.
    07-23-10 05:02 PM
    i choose iphone for the sole purpose of me being a mac os x user for years

nothing beats plugging your phone into itunes and syncing EVERYTHING

priceless IMO
    07-23-10 08:35 PM
    While I understand this, Android is still "open". Once the source code is released, and if the device doesn't have a locked bootloader (most don't), a hacker can essentially port over an OS they want to a device. Even if the code isn't released, using a different devices system dump can allow you to port over an OS. For example, the Desire ROM with Sense UI was ported to the Droid. It was also ports to the N1.

Honestly, I can do more with my Droid (hacking wise) than I could with my iPhone. I don't need to wait for updates from Apple or a specific manufacturer. Leaks always happen, and within a day or a few, the new update is rooted and ported to all different devices.

The article does have a lot of good points though.
    True, I dont agree with the whole article but this openness really isnt all the open. You could say you get as much openness jailbreaking as you do rooting, but you really have to use stock phones that most customers use as the gauge. The iphone surely isnt open, but Android isnt as much either as is boasts to being.

But I also think my point about the fragmentation is really hurting Android. People have to wonder is their phone coming what 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, what skin, etc. OK for the tech geeks like us forum people, but it gets really confusing for the average customer. And I think the whole skinning thing slows official updates which hurts the average customer loyalty.

You also have the related problem that some of the Android phones are greatly underspecced to be a smartphone and run smoothly. You can sell mid tier smartphone, but you cant have a heavily graphical interface and widgets and not have the hardware to run it smoothly where people are happy with it. And equally Android made the mistake of releasing on an arguably junky piece of hardware that turned users off from it and to loyalty to other platforms. The iphone on the other hand came out on arguably a pretty good piece of hardware and ran almost as smooth as the 3G and 3GS.

Generally I get the impression Android just isnt polished enough yet as an OS for ease of use by the average customer who picks it up. Again, fine for tech geeks and modders, but those are a small percentage of smartphone users overall. The iphone has always offered one thing that anyone of any age can pick it up and use it, and it seems people enjoy that aspect.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-23-10 at 08:54 PM.
    07-23-10 08:44 PM
    Not sure about the OP's claim, and I'm not clicking on that link. Anyways, I hear alot of good things about the Android, since it's Linux based it's a decent thing and they got Samsung, LG, HTC and Motorola behind them (am I forgetting someone else?) and I'm a fan of Linux but I'm not into phones with touch screens. Android is going through what Linux went through 10+ years ago.

What I like is the customization on the Android (and BlackBerry), that's what iPod Touch/iPad/iPhones lack, you get a black screen and a bunch of icons, not much customization to that.
    07-24-10 11:24 AM
    Not sure about the OP's claim, and I'm not clicking on that link. Anyways, I hear alot of good things about the Android, since it's Linux based it's a decent thing and they got Samsung, LG, HTC and Motorola behind them (am I forgetting someone else?) and I'm a fan of Linux but I'm not into phones with touch screens. Android is going through what Linux went through 10+ years ago.

What I like is the customization on the Android (and BlackBerry), that's what iPod Touch/iPad/iPhones lack, you get a black screen and a bunch of icons, not much customization to that.
    That's not really true with IOS 4 for the 3GS and iPhone 4. And the iPad has been able to use custom backgrounds since it was launched. And for the record it is not a claim that the OP is making, this was reported by CNN Money and several other sources on the web.
    07-24-10 05:51 PM
    What it comes down to is Apple's customer service is second to none, proven by JD Powers time and time again. Where do most android users need to go for service? AT&T, Verizon? That's a joke! Consumers want more than just a device, they want the total package.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 07-25-10 at 12:11 PM.
    07-24-10 08:59 PM
    The iphone is a great product. I had one for about for months and really never had an issue with it other than it read too addictive. It is a great all around experience. I just like Android better because I feel it has more features, I have more options with devices and carriers, and I use a lot of Google services. But every time an iphone comes out, I honestly marvel at the hardware. Apple makes a good product, there is no denying that, but they aren't the only ones. And thee iphone operating system isn't the best on the planet anymore.
    07-24-10 10:20 PM
    What it comes down to it Apple's customer service is second to none, proven by JD Powers time and time again. Where do most android users need to go for service? AT&T, Verizon? That's a joke! Consumers want more than just a device, they want the total package.
    Agreed.

And look at the Nexus, when there was issues with it people called Google who said go to the carrier who said go to Google. Apple has great CS and gets a problem solved if you bring it in.

You have to remember people like us dont call CS we come to forums and fix things ourselves. Regular customers need good customer support when they have issues, even phone lockups, resets, etc.
    07-24-10 10:53 PM
    Between the two types of devices I wouldn't give Android a second look.
    What I like about the iPhone is the same thing I love about my iMac. The hardware/software integration for the overall enjoyable user experience. Still love/prefer my BB though. Dang relationships with our devices are complicated.
    07-25-10 06:09 AM
    I guess I am in the opposite boat than. I had an iPhone and I hated it. I would never go back to it in its current state for a few reasons. The first is you have to take it to an Apple store to get looked at, the closest one to me is 45 minutes away and appointments are always a few days to a week out because its the only one around. The second is its way to locked down for me. Apple has control over everything on your device and customizability is almost non existant. I mean in the keynote this year on iOS4 one of the big points was you could change your wallpaper... thats just laughable. I also like the choices that Android has to offer. Do I want HTC Sense, Ninja Blur, or a vanilla os? Do I want a 4.3 in screen or a 3.7 in screen? Another thing that I think benefits Android and is smart marketing IMO, is make an entry level device and its built around text messaging and social networking (moto blur).

I mean each OS has its own downfalls so I guess its what the people prefer. I dont get all the hate most Android has owners has towards Apple and vice versa. I think Apple makes a good product (I am typing this on my macbook), but when it comes to phones I prefer an Android device.
    07-25-10 08:37 AM
    I'd rather have a locked down device than one that will soon have so much bloatware (non-removable junk) that it will change the experience altogether. Google is surely heading down the RIM with Windows OS path, I see it now.

But I do sympathize for you, I'd have second thoughts if my Apple store was 45 minutes away.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 07-25-10 at 12:16 PM.
    07-25-10 12:14 PM
    I'd rather have a locked down device than one that will soon have so much bloatware (non-removable junk) that it will change the experience altogether. Google is surely heading down the RIM with Windows OS path, I see it now.

But I do sympathize for you, I'd have second thoughts if my Apple store was 45 minutes away.
    What are you talking about? Bloatware? It can be removed. Go for it, load it onto my device. I can root and it is gone. Service books push and they are a ***** to remove. Plus, the carriers can push them right back to you.

How is Google heading down the road of RIM and Microsoft? That makes absolutely no sense. Google is giving people what they want. Google is providing updates that are actually useful. Google is adding new features every time. Not waiting 2 years to add MMS, multitasking and wallpaper customization. Are you talking about fragmentation? Well that all stops once you root. There are G1s running Froyo. We don't have to rely on Google to give us the proper updates. It leaks, it gets ported.
    07-25-10 12:23 PM
    What are you talking about? Bloatware? It can be removed. Go for it, load it onto my device. I can root and it is gone. Service books push and they are a ***** to remove. Plus, the carriers can push them right back to you.

How is Google heading down the road of RIM and Microsoft? That makes absolutely no sense. Google is giving people what they want. Google is providing updates that are actually useful. Google is adding new features every time. Not waiting 2 years to add MMS, multitasking and wallpaper customization. Are you talking about fragmentation? Well that all stops once you root. There are G1s running Froyo. We don't have to rely on Google to give us the proper updates. It leaks, it gets ported.
    But again thats rooting, something the average customer doesnt do. We have to compare stock phones because if you talk about rooting you have to compare it to a jailbroken iphone which can do a lot more too than stock.
    07-25-10 12:33 PM
    i choose iphone for the sole purpose of me being a mac os x user for years

nothing beats plugging your phone into itunes and syncing EVERYTHING

priceless IMO
    Same here. Although I don't own a Mac but the ease of using iTunes to sync
    everything is big for me. Especially now that my iPhone is my primary iPod. I love
    that I can just get a song from iTunes on my phone and don't have to worry
    about going through steps to save it on my PC. Just plug and everything syncs.

And remember that Apple says they're working on wireless sync'ng as well so
    that's going to be even better.
    07-25-10 12:40 PM
    But again thats rooting, something the average customer doesnt do. We have to compare stock phones because if you talk about rooting you have to compare it to a jailbroken iphone which can do a lot more too than stock.
    Ok, I take the rooting part back then. But not all Android phones are loaded with bloatware. AT&T did it and Verizon added a few to the Droid X. Does it lessen my experience on the X? No. Does it slow down my device? No. It's really not a big deal, but I didn't want it on my device. Apple wont ever let it happen to their device because they only release 1 a year and they are the manufacturer. Google has a little less control on that end because it is open source. Just build the hardware to support the OS and you are golden.

For the average consumer, the iPhone, for now, will always be a better choice. My 3 year old cousin has an iPod touch. The OS is just so simple you are basically born ready to use it. And that's where Apple shines.
    07-25-10 12:43 PM
    They dont all come with it but ATT WAY overdid it at least on things like the Captivate. Its almost past the point of obnoxious really how much bloatware is on there. Such a nice high end device and its full of bloat. At least on a Berry you could hide the icons.

I agree for the average customer 2-90 any age can pick it up and use it and thats the draw of the phone to the general consumer. But its also very powerful if you jailbreak it and know your way around it too and you can really do a ton with the OS if you want to play with it.
    07-25-10 01:25 PM
    They dont all come with it but ATT WAY overdid it at least on things like the Captivate. Its almost past the point of obnoxious really how much bloatware is on there. Such a nice high end device and its full of bloat. At least on a Berry you could hide the icons.

I agree for the average customer 2-90 any age can pick it up and use it and thats the draw of the phone to the general consumer. But its also very powerful if you jailbreak it and know your way around it too and you can really do a ton with the OS if you want to play with it.
    Yea the Captivate got killed by AT&T. All of their Android devices are locked down.

Yes, when you jailbreak it opens you up to a new world of possibilites. Some of these possibilites are already included in stock Android. Rooting an Android device is basically the same thing, but so much more. I use to jailbreak my iPhone and thought it was insane with the amount of new options that open up for you. After experiencing both, rooting offers you more. But both options are great ways to increase your devices capabilities.
    07-25-10 01:37 PM

Like it has been mentioned previously everything on the phone can be removed if you wish. There is no way the Google ends up like RIM and Windows OS. I think its important to know that the carrier puts the extra stuff on the phones. Look at the Captivate vs Vibrant for example. Same phone on two different providers, yet one is completely locked down and one isn't.

If there was an Apple store closer to me I would have easily chosen the iPhone before I played with Android. But there is no way I can go to the iPhone after using Android, to me it seems like a step backwards. No widgets, no notification light, still no true multitasking, and no customizability. But it is fairly easy to use. I think thats the market niche they are going to have, and they need to market it that way.
    07-25-10 02:11 PM
    Google is a fact headed that way, earlier android phones did not have this crapware; you are starting to see it more and more on the newer devices. Also, from what I understand you cannot remove it, hacking your phone does not count as a good 90% of android users in the US doesn't even know what rooting is let alone do it.

What are you guys feelings on why the Nexus One got the ax? (not sarcasm, serious q) It didn't seem so outdated to me.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 07-25-10 at 11:01 PM.
    07-25-10 10:57 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD