I'm assuming most of the people in this forum are current or previous Blackberry users. In general, do you think Iphone users are as addicted as Blackberry users?
    07-02-09 04:12 PM
    I am testing a theory about ATT billing for iphone data, and at the moment my sim is out of my Bold and in an iphone 3g...I find that I havent had the phone in my hand nearly as often as I did when my sim was in the Bold...its just sitting there on my desk...

How do you know its even still alive without the LED flashing at you to let you know that it's okay?
    07-02-09 04:47 PM
    I would assume that iPhone users would be on their phones a lot more than any other cell phone purely based on the fact of how many different apps there are.

Even if you only find maybe 4 apps that you constantly use on your phone, there are billions of others to download, try them out and toss them away.

EDIT: Personally I was on my Curve more than my Storm, and now I'm on my iPhone more than I am on my Storm.
    Last edited by chillson1386; 07-02-09 at 05:10 PM.
    07-02-09 05:04 PM
    It depends what you called addicted. I believe iPhone users use their devices more (look at the Safari reports on how many people use their devices).
    07-02-09 07:15 PM
    I am WAY more addicted to my iPhone than I ever was with any of my BB devices. Ive had it for a month, and I really only put it down when I am sleeping! I love this phone.
    07-02-09 07:27 PM
    How do you know its even still alive without the LED flashing at you to let you know that it's okay?
    Haha, I love it! And I love my Berry.

To answer the OP, I think the answer is probably yes. There seem to be as many iPhone "fanboys" (as people would call them here) as there are BB addicts. I will always be a BB girl, personally
    07-02-09 07:36 PM
    Yes they are!
    It depends on who you start with really.
    If you started with a BB you usualy stay and are addicted and the same with an iPhone.
    07-02-09 07:48 PM
    Haha, I love it! And I love my Berry.

To answer the OP, I think the answer is probably yes. There seem to be as many iPhone "fanboys" (as people would call them here) as there are BB addicts. I will always be a BB girl, personally
    Don't have to be a fanboy to use the phone a lot. But I can tell you this, I browse the web 20x more with my iPhone than with the Bold. Messaging is the same for me. I expect my data usage to be much higher now.
    07-02-09 08:29 PM
    I personally, dont feel as addicted to the iphone.
    Finally my hubby is happy that I got rid of my blackberrys. With the Bold and my curve I kept cheking 2 see if the red light was blinking and I would literally stop everything else I was doing just 2 check if I had an email, a text or a BBM, even when the light was not blinking.
    At night I changed the profile 2 silent but every time I woke up to go potty or whatever reason, I HAD to look at the phone and check my messages.
    With the iphone, I'm more "free" The phone is not going off every minute, and I get my mail "fetch" every hour so im definitely worrying less about my email and messages and concentrating more in playing "WORLD CUP PING PONG" from skyworks.
    07-02-09 08:36 PM
    Yes they are!
    If you started with a BB you usualy stay and are addicted and the same with an iPhone.
    this is not always true. I started with an 8700c then went to a curve 8310. Now I have my iPhone and I love it like way more. :-)
    07-02-09 11:49 PM
    My iPhone is awesome, I will not do for another touchscreen BlackBerry ever. I think it really depends on you needs and wants. I personally think the iPhone is super addicting, lol
    07-02-09 11:55 PM
    I'm assuming most of the people in this forum are current or previous Blackberry users. In general, do you think Iphone users are as addicted as Blackberry users?
    Its all a matter of taste. I think berries taste better than apples.
    07-02-09 11:56 PM
    It depends what you called addicted. I believe iPhone users use their devices more (look at the Safari reports on how many people use their devices).

this is only semi true (the safari reports)

because something like viigo doesn't show up in those statistics..

I am major into website and statistics and believe me there is rarely a correct web statistic.. (I build websites all the time)
    statistics in websites can really only be used as a general idea and nothing more..

so to break that down in this case your advertising would want to be something that can show up on the screen of a iPhone browser but that doesn't mean you don't have readers reading your site that will never see any of the adds..

IE all the rss readers on pcs/macs/phones

but I believe with all smartphones people are just as addicted.. if you sit down at a table with 4 people 2 of them have iphones and 2 of them have berries.. most the time all 4 of those people touch there phone multiple times during that period of time..
    Last edited by noaim; 07-03-09 at 12:06 AM.
    07-03-09 12:03 AM
    Viigo, and Poynt are like the best apps on the BlackBerry, I really miss them : ( But they are made up with all the apps I have on the iPhone. I think it depends on the BlackBerry you use and what you need it for. The Stormer prolly use the net a lot.
    07-03-09 12:07 AM
    Viigo, and Poynt are like the best apps on the BlackBerry, I really miss them : ( But they are made up with all the apps I have on the iPhone. I think it depends on the BlackBerry you use and what you need it for. The Stormer prolly use the net a lot.

I thought that the iPhone has a rss reader? on the app store..

I could be mistaking but I thought one existed..

either way I don't think it matters what phone a person owns addiction is addiction...

heck I have seen a few people addicted to there env.. texting non stop all day long...

with something like the iPhone you have media games email internet .... same with a blackberry for the most part..

so I don't think there really can be a debate about this because a communication device along with other perks from any company can easily be a addiction depending on the person using it..
    07-03-09 12:13 AM
    i think it depends what you are considering addicting. with blackberrys, it seems email is the addicting part. with and iphone, i find that i browse the internet much more, and play with different apps way more than with my bold. i would say that i am more "addicted" to my iphone than my bold at this point.
    07-03-09 12:27 AM
    this is only semi true (the safari reports)

because something like viigo doesn't show up in those statistics..
    They're true... I see the numbers everyday on the usage of our network (AT&T) which calculates data usage and not browser usage. Data usage is higher than all the smartphone devices on our network. This includes Viigo, other RSS readers and everything that uses data. Heck, it sometimes seems as though the iPhone uses more data than a lot of aircards on our network as well. My usage one month was about 2GBs on my iPhone (and I have never tethered).

I also mentioned "safari" just to give an example... to show the commanding lead the iPhone has for web browsing, only. iPhone 3GS gave YouTube a 400% hike in mobile uploads. So, just imagine the rest of the phone's data features being used for the different apps.

Too me though, that still doesn't make iPhone users more addicting, which is why I asked why "addicting" meant. If it means usage, the iPhone wins, hands down, but I don't consider usage addicting as much as "phantom rings," "checking the led for it to blink red" or "being able to sense a message coming in before it actually comes to the device."
    07-03-09 02:33 AM
    When I use a iPhone i tend to use it for a LONG period of time. Then I get bored. I always watch my BB's LED though lol
    07-03-09 03:18 AM
    They're true... I see the numbers everyday on the usage of our network (AT&T) which calculates data usage and not browser usage. Data usage is higher than all the smartphone devices on our network. This includes Viigo, other RSS readers and everything that uses data. Heck, it sometimes seems as though the iPhone uses more data than a lot of aircards on our network as well. My usage one month was about 2GBs on my iPhone (and I have never tethered).

I also mentioned "safari" just to give an example... to show the commanding lead the iPhone has for web browsing, only. iPhone 3GS gave YouTube a 400% hike in mobile uploads. So, just imagine the rest of the phone's data features being used for the different apps.

Too me though, that still doesn't make iPhone users more addicting, which is why I asked why "addicting" meant. If it means usage, the iPhone wins, hands down, but I don't consider usage addicting as much as "phantom rings," "checking the led for it to blink red" or "being able to sense a message coming in before it actually comes to the device."

yes but I guess I forgot to include the other point...

using something like viigo brings in text...

text is a smaller bandwidth stream then loading up a browser in viigo you typically get one picture and some text a website has many more and depending on the image sizes can be much more data...

see my point?

statistics of the amount of time being used vs the data used really aren't that effective.. I feel extremely confident in this as I said earlier I have studied web/data/network trend statistics for a extremely long time..

for example the front page of crackberry right now is Total2076 KB (2357 KB uncompressed)

on viigo pulling in the entire page of just articles looks to be just over 400kb including the images..

so with that being said 1 load of the webpage on a iphone is like 5 times the amount of data loaded in viigo..

and sometimes the images aren't even loaded into viigo.. thats why the statistics are skewed in this case.

now obviously there is compression used in the iPhone browser of some sort.. I don't know the exact figures of that compression but I would highly highly believe its still quite a bit more then 400kb worth of data dropping down to the phone.

and then you could even go further by saying there is probably more iPhone users on at&t then there is blackberry users..

but blackberry has 50 percent of the market (from what I hear no proof to back that up it was in a article)

so you would also have to include even number of phones vs a even number of phones.. loading the same webpages in the same fashion..

to get true statistics..

to take that even a step farther you could go with the fact that blackberry browsers by default load mobile webpages and many users keep it that way. Where as the iPhone loads full on pages unless you specifically go to the mobile version

but none the less I still think that no matter which phone someone uses they can and are just as addicted lol I do agree with what you have stated for the most part but truly web/network data usage/ unless more centralized are still more of just a general idea..

For at&t's purpose they are seeing which phones are using more data overall that doesn't necessarily mean there is less blackberry use it just means that the iPhone uses a ton more data and this is the main reason there network took a huge hit with taking on the iPhone..
    Last edited by noaim; 07-03-09 at 04:07 AM.
    07-03-09 03:45 AM
    Well I spend an excessive amount of time both on my PC and on my BB reading about Blackberry topics, it’s addictive to me. But I think a lot of that time was spent just looking for fixes and ways to tweak my Storm. I don't mind spending a lot of time on a handheld device if I'm researching, being productive, or pursuing interests without it interfering with normal everyday life. So I’m thinking about trying the Iphone. It seems more refined than what I currently have. And I'm hoping that it could be just as, if not more beneficial to me than it would be addictive…
    07-03-09 04:36 AM
    Definitely yes.
    07-03-09 08:25 AM
    I agree. I think both are probably near equally as addicted, but the iPhone in my opinion has more reasons to play with it. For instance, while i'm at work, if I'm not texting or emailing, I'm using facebook, twitter, checking my news feeds. And since it has the best browser I don't use my laptop at home. Wasn't the case with blackberry. And listening to music. So I'm not sure if that makes me more addicted to iPhone, I just think I've found more reasons to use it. But I think everyone is addicted to their device in their own right.
    07-03-09 08:29 AM
    Yeah viigo was probably my fav app. But I have replaced it with NetNewsWire aka newsgator. If you haven't tried it, do so
    07-03-09 08:35 AM
    Well I spend an excessive amount of time both on my PC and on my BB reading about Blackberry topics, it�s addictive to me. But I think a lot of that time was spent just looking for fixes and ways to tweak my Storm. I don't mind spending a lot of time on a handheld device if I'm researching, being productive, or pursuing interests without it interfering with normal everyday life. So I�m thinking about trying the Iphone. It seems more refined than what I currently have. And I'm hoping that it could be just as, if not more beneficial to me than it would be addictive�
    Yeah it is a more refined device right now. But take into account the things you will lose when leaving the blackberry before you commit. Hopefully t will work for you as good as it works for me .
    07-03-09 08:37 AM
    Yes they are!
    I started with an iPhone, and i'm a BlackBerry Adict...
    07-03-09 08:42 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD