Im sure some of you are in the same boat. "Early upgraded" to a 3GS for 399/499 and now ATT wants you to pay a whopping 599/699 to upgrade again.

So I talked to Executive Services about this pricing issue, that if theyre discounting a new customer $400 over 2 years to recoup, then if we got a $200 discount 1 year aggo then why cant we do it again this year. Considering they say im eligible to have the privilege to pay $200 over 2 year pricing in NOVEMBER a whopping 18 months into my contract!

That logic alone makes no sense, if they discount a 2 year new contract $400, then once a year you should be able to do the $200 off "early upgrade" and not pay the insane 599/699 price or wait 18 months!.

Anyways, here's my proposal to see if itd work.

I have a single line ($115 of the 175 ETF remaining, about 12 months in). Add a line and and get the phone for $199. Then pay the $10 for the first month on the new line, the $30 for data on the new line, and remove data from the main line putting on an old Razor my brother has lying around.

During that time hopefully swap the phone #'s between the lines (put my main # on the new line if its possible, if not no big loss).

Then cancel the main line with the $175 ETF and split the added line into an individual (Im pretty sure is possible and people do it a lot).

So basically pay $199 + 115 ETF + $10 (add a line)= $325. The data wont be extra cost because it will just be on the added line and taken off the main.

MUCH cheaper than the $599 they want me to shell out!!!! $275 cheaper!!!

Ive tried to explain this to anyone at ATT who will listen. Ive told them many times originally I had NO problem paying the $399 "Early Upgrade" pricing. Ive tried all the way up to Executive Services and get the same answer there's nothing they can do (which I seriously doubt as they have the power to do nearly anything with your account to make the customer happy).

Yes, its not the most "ethical" route to go, but Im not going to get screwed over paying $200 more than I need to because ATT is unwilling to listen to reason that I just explained and Ill get it for around $399 either way, even maybe cheaper this way
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-18-10 at 02:51 AM.
    06-18-10 02:34 AM
    Im sure some of you are in the same boat. "Early upgraded" to a 3GS for 399/499 and now ATT wants you to pay a whopping 599/699 to upgrade again.

So I talked to Executive Services about this pricing issue, that if theyre discounting a new customer $400 over 2 years to recoup, then if we got a $200 discount 1 year aggo then why cant we do it again this year. Considering they say im eligible to have the privilege to pay $200 over 2 year pricing in NOVEMBER a whopping 18 months into my contract!

That logic alone makes no sense, if they discount a 2 year new contract $400, then once a year you should be able to do the $200 off "early upgrade" and not pay the insane 599/699 price or wait 18 months!.

I have a single line ($115 of the 175 ETF remaining, about 12 months in). Add a line and and get the phone for $199. Then pay the $10 for the first month on the new line, the $30 for data on the new line, and remove data from the main line putting on an old Razor my brother has lying around.

During that time hopefully swap the phone #'s between the lines (put my main # on the new line if its possible, if not no big loss).

Then cancel the main line with the $175 ETF and split the added line into an individual (Im pretty sure is possible and people do it a lot).

So basically pay $199 + 115 ETF + $10 (add a line)= $325. The data wont be extra cost because it will just be on the added line and taken off the main.

Ive tried to explain this to anyone at ATT who will listen. Ive told them many times originally I had NO problem paying the $399 "Early Upgrade" pricing. Ive tried all the way up to Executive Services and get the same answer there's nothing they can do (which I seriously doubt as they have the power to do nearly anything with your account to make the customer happy).

Yes, its not the most "ethical" route to go, but Im not going to get screwed over paying $200 more than I need to because ATT is unwilling to listen to reason that I just explained and Ill get it for around $399 either way, even maybe cheaper this way

The $399 early upgrade price I believe is for current iPhone customers only who don't qualify for the normal upgrade price
    06-18-10 11:31 AM
    Why not just leave the extra line open, and a month in switch phones with the lines, leave the new number with the old rzor and your line with the iphone, you can do it, ive done it before. Then you only pay around 240(24*10) plus the 30 for the first month day would be 270 instead of paying 325.
    06-18-10 11:37 AM
    The $399 early upgrade price I believe is for current iPhone customers only who don't qualify for the normal upgrade price
    Which is me, but the little upgrade box when trying to pre-order on Apple.com says November 2010 to get that which makes no sense as thats 18 months into my contract.

Why not just leave the extra line open, and a month in switch phones with the lines, leave the new number with the old rzor and your line with the iphone, you can do it, ive done it before. Then you only pay around 240(24*10) plus the 30 for the first month day would be 270 instead of paying 325.
    True, just have no need for 2 lines (plus dont you need to switch the minutes to the family plan, Im only on the basic 450 min $30 individual minute plan).

Was just curious if you can do that, add a line to the main one and then cancel the main one at the $115 or what not is left of the ETF.

I think you forgot the phone price in addition to that $270 =) My $325 figure covered the 199 for the phone.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-18-10 at 11:45 AM.
    06-18-10 11:38 AM
    Which is me, but the little upgrade box when trying to pre-order on Apple.com says November 2010 to get that which makes no sense as thats 18 months into my contract.

True, just have no need for 2 lines (plus dont you need to switch the minutes to the family plan, Im only on the basic 450 min $30 individual minute plan).

Was just curious if you can do that, add a line to the main one and then cancel the main one at the $115 or what not is left of the ETF.

I think you forgot the phone price in addition to that $270 =) My $325 figure covered the 199 for the phone.

maybe the fine print of that guideline is you can only do that once every 12 months or something.. or once in a two year period... that'd be worth finding out
    06-18-10 11:48 AM
    I wish you could but they just simply don't give out early upgrade prices every year. It would be nice but apparently they take several things into consideration for early upgrades. I know I was in the same situation like you. Did an early upgrade on my wife's account for the 3GS last year and now she can only get no committment pricing. But my other line with was started less than a year ago was eligible for upgrade pricing. Here's the reason I got, my wife's line had a full upgrade in 2008 and early upgrade in 2009 so she's not eligible for any upgrades this year. Had her upgrade in 2008 also been an early one then should would have been eligible this year. But since she's had a full upgrade and early upgrade in 2 years she cannot get one and that makes since to me because we want them to give us an upgrade every year when they really don't have to offer early upgrade at all because we signed that contract.
    06-18-10 12:11 PM
    maybe the fine print of that guideline is you can only do that once every 12 months or something.. or once in a two year period... that'd be worth finding out
    That's exactly it. If you upgrade twice in 2 years then you are not eligible (unless very special circumstances) to upgrade in the 3rd year.
    06-18-10 12:12 PM
    That's exactly it. If you upgrade twice in 2 years then you are not eligible (unless very special circumstances) to upgrade in the 3rd year.

with all this being said, i had to call ATT and make sure I fell in the 399/499 category lol I do.. THANK GOD ! LOL
    06-18-10 12:39 PM
    I remember the days you could buy any phone you wanted without all the hassle.
    06-18-10 01:17 PM
    I remember the days you could buy any phone you wanted without all the hassle.
    You still can, just gotta pay the retail price . The phones started getting too expensive. I remember when I was on Sprint a long time ago. Man, getting the hottest flip phone for 120 seemed expensive. Now we are way past that.
    06-18-10 01:25 PM
    The problem is Ive yet to see this "secret policy" defined. Seems they purposely do so to make it VERY arbitrary as others have said and seen themselves.

It has to be more than 12 months, since if we all got the 3GS launch date, its been pretty nearly exactly a year. November 2010 isnt 12 months from June 19, 2009. Actually the iphone 4 is 12 months a 5 days after, so I guess none of us really know the policy

And thats half the problem if no one knows the policy, how can it be enforced? You cant let the customer early upgrade and psychicly know how long they cant do it again for if they dont tell you nor have a set system. If were supposed to be the more knowledgeable group being forum users and we cant even define the policy, then how can anyone else in the public?

Its like a store having a pricing scheme for different types of purchasers (consumer, small business, corporation, etc), and not vocalizing what those pricing tiers/policies are- they just ring you up and youre supposed to accept it without explanation. This just allows them to just be arbitrary as to who is charged how much when the policy is not public.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-19-10 at 12:25 AM.
    06-19-10 12:18 AM
    um ok?

Anyways does anyone know if this is possible to do before I pull the trigger? I refuse to pay $599 for a phone because of cloak and dagger ATT arbitrary policies
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-19-10 at 12:19 PM.
    06-19-10 12:17 PM
    That's the cost of the phone. You're not eligible for a discount. Unfortunatly that is the long and short of it. With the iPhone, there is no leeway in policy.
    06-19-10 01:07 PM
    Stuaw, why don't you just wait for iOS 4 to come out for the 3GS and then see if you still want to upgrade? Sure, it won't give you the screen, processor etc but many of the new features will come with the new OS, no? And if you do this, you can switch your main account to a reg phone you have laying around and sell your 3GS for upwards of 200 easily to offset the cost of the new iPhone unless you plan to give the 3GS to someone of course, but I haven't seen that you are planning so. (could have just missed it)
    06-19-10 01:21 PM
    Ive used iOS4 on the 3GS already. Its mainly the hardware im interested in (screen, bigger battery, better reception with the antennas in the frame). Ive had backgrounding and folders for a long time through Cydia, so the OS isnt a huge leap.
    06-19-10 04:02 PM
    With the iPhone, there is no leeway in policy.
    I hope youre joking. Some people who got the 3GS launch day are getting 2 year pricing, some early upgrade, and some nothing. With no rhyme or reason as to who gets which.
    06-19-10 04:04 PM
    I fought with AT&T over the phone about this last week too. Asking why I have to wait for the 18 months for the 399/499 prices, when I did it last year only 9 months into the contract. So basically what I'm doing is adding a new line to my plan. I paid the $299 price tag. Once I get it, I'm canceling my current line. That ETF is going to be $140. All I'm losing is my phone number since I really can't figure out a scenario to somehow keep my old number while not paying a $325 ETF to cancel the new one.
    06-19-10 04:25 PM

Well the Retail Price of the Iphones are $600 and $700. That is not AT&T's choice on to take them down to the $200 or $300 mark for an upgrade, that is an agreement between them and Apple. So blame Apple for the price.

And plus, every single carrier in the United States with their upgrades, unless stated differently in the terms and conditions when you sign the new 2 year contract, works the same way.

You agree to have that particular service/phone for 2 years. If you want to get a new phone before you fufil your end of the agreement, then you will have to pay the penatly.

Am I saying that its right? No, cause I am in the same boat. But thats the way it is.
    06-19-10 04:35 PM
    Ive used iOS4 on the 3GS already. Its mainly the hardware im interested in (screen, bigger battery, better reception with the antennas in the frame). Ive had backgrounding and folders for a long time through Cydia, so the OS isnt a huge leap.
    Well then if I were you (and if you could stomach it) I'd move to a basic phone of some kind that I had lying around, or pay the price you must pay for an iPhone 4, and recoup the difference by selling the 3GS on ebay. That's the same advice I gave my gf and she sold her 3GS for 360ish so 599-360=239 roughly for a new iPhone 4. Only problem is, now she can't decide if she wants a 16gb or 32gb model

Anyway, good luck whatever route you choose to take.
    06-19-10 04:58 PM
    I fought with AT&T over the phone about this last week too. Asking why I have to wait for the 18 months for the 399/499 prices, when I did it last year only 9 months into the contract. So basically what I'm doing is adding a new line to my plan. I paid the $299 price tag. Once I get it, I'm canceling my current line. That ETF is going to be $140. All I'm losing is my phone number since I really can't figure out a scenario to somehow keep my old number while not paying a $325 ETF to cancel the new one.
    Thats pretty much my scenario. I early upgraded about 8 months in, they dont tell you that you can only do it once a year or that there's even an "early upgrade" option. I clicked order, thats the price they gave and I paid it. I didnt question the price.

Im not concerned about my number either, the only people that have it are friends and family who I can easily tell them the new #. Its not used for business (have a google voice number as my "work cell" for clients which never changes and forwards).

Do you know if when you add a line you have to switch to a family plan minute bucket or does it just tack on to your existing individual minute plan?
    06-19-10 05:29 PM
    Well the Retail Price of the Iphones are $600 and $700. That is not AT&T's choice on to take them down to the $200 or $300 mark for an upgrade, that is an agreement between them and Apple. So blame Apple for the price.

And plus, every single carrier in the United States with their upgrades, unless stated differently in the terms and conditions when you sign the new 2 year contract, works the same way.

You agree to have that particular service/phone for 2 years. If you want to get a new phone before you fufil your end of the agreement, then you will have to pay the penatly.

Am I saying that its right? No, cause I am in the same boat. But thats the way it is.
    Contracts smontracts. If they wanted strict compliance they wouldnt be offering early 2 year pricing for certain people even though they did the 399/499 already on the 3GS a year ago.

Theyre doing it to lock people in for another 2 year period and keep iphone users happy since its a HUGE portion of their customers and business.

ATT did this to themselves by bending the rules for some and not for others causing controversy. Its the same controversy they had last year with the 3GS and complaints.

And FYI, I jsut talked to my brother hwo is on the EXACT same plan as I am, pays the same, did na early upgrade last summer the same day for a 3GS, and is eligible for 2 year pricing. Explain that then? I dont feel bad for ATT if I play the system a little here, if they cant be consistent and screw people over like this there's nothing to feel bad about getting what you deserve and others are getting
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-19-10 at 10:43 PM.
    06-19-10 05:30 PM
    Thats pretty much my scenario. I early upgraded about 8 months in, they dont tell you that you can only do it once a year or that there's even an "early upgrade" option. I clicked order, thats the price they gave and I paid it. I didnt question the price.

Im not concerned about my number either, the only people that have it are friends and family who I can easily tell them the new #. Its not used for business (have a google voice number as my "work cell" for clients which never changes and forwards).

Do you know if when you add a line you have to switch to a family plan minute bucket or does it just tack on to your existing individual minute plan?
    You have both options. You can just tack it on for the extra $10. Or you can just add it as an individual plan right away. Which is what I'm doing. That way I can just cancel the old number right away and not have to worry about changing the rate plan for the new one.
    06-19-10 05:48 PM
    I don't have the "early upgrade pricing" available. I would have to take the no commitment pricing. My problem with the whole thing though is why do we have to keep buying new iphone equipment? By we, I mean me...who always wants what's current... First I paid the $399 for the 8GB iphone, then they came out with 3G, I got that, then they came out with the 3GS which of course I felt like I had to have, and now the iphone 4! Don't get me wrong, I love the new design but geez! I just got the iphone 3GS 32GB in Sept 2009! So now, If I want this new iphone, I'd have to shell out some big bucks! I guess for now I'll update the software then try to wait it out.
    06-20-10 01:07 PM
    Well my issue really isnt the pricing itself IF they did the to the letter pricing for everyone. I mean I guess its overpriced by about $150, should be more 450/550.

My problem is all of people I know who did early upgrades last summer who are now getting 2 year pricing, and I have to pay $400 more for no rhyme or reason to it. And not even Executive Services can explain why. Thats my HUGE issue with ATT is having to pay more and no one can give a reason.

If everyone who was in the same situation had to cough up 599/699 with no other choice, then thats just how it is and Id probably just pay it. But not when there's different pricing for every person without explanation.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 06-20-10 at 01:32 PM.
    06-20-10 01:26 PM
    I don't have the "early upgrade pricing" available. I would have to take the no commitment pricing. My problem with the whole thing though is why do we have to keep buying new iphone equipment? By we, I mean me...who always wants what's current... First I paid the $399 for the 8GB iphone, then they came out with 3G, I got that, then they came out with the 3GS which of course I felt like I had to have, and now the iphone 4! Don't get me wrong, I love the new design but geez! I just got the iphone 3GS 32GB in Sept 2009! So now, If I want this new iphone, I'd have to shell out some big bucks! I guess for now I'll update the software then try to wait it out.
    A new iPhone coming out once a year is actually slow considering the release
    standards of phones nowadays.
    06-20-10 03:30 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD