I've had the iPhone 3G for about six months. While I realize it's quite "old", there are issues, mainly with texting, that I'm starting to wonder if I can continue to live with. I'm wondering if there's a way to fix these issues or if I'm just not using my phone properly, or maybe it's just an older version and the glitches have been fixed in the newer versions.

Here are my iPhone issues:
    While texting, if I don't "close" the conversation and go back to the main screen there is no indication a new text has arrived. If I'm not holding and looking at my phone I miss text messages.

To send a new text message, I press the text icon and wait 3-4 seconds for the list of past texts to appear, choose the name of the person I want to text, wait another 3-4 seconds for the new message screen to appear. As it's easier for me to text with my phone in landscape position, when I turn the phone it takes another 3-4 seconds for the screen to switch from portrait to landscape.

With my BB, all my emails and texts came to one message screen instead of one for texts, and then individual email accounts. Is there a way for this to work with the iPhone? I realize some may like keeping their email accounts separate but for me everything coming to one account is more convenient.

Thanks in advance for any advice or support you can provide.
    05-27-10 01:14 PM
    I don't think it is going to incorporate SMS, but I know one of the features of OS4 is going to be a combined inbox option for e-mail accounts.

As for the lack of notification of a new message......have you checked the settings to make sure the SMS notification is turned on? If it is then it sounds like a software bug. Try a soft reset and if that doesn't do it then a system restore might be the only option.
    05-27-10 02:57 PM
    Here are my iPhone issues:
    While texting, if I don't "close" the conversation and go back to the main screen there is no indication a new text has arrived. If I'm not holding and looking at my phone I miss text messages.
    This happens to me as well, but it's not that it isn't notifying me, it's that the incoming text sound changes to a much quieter notification and I miss it.

The phone recognizes that the my text app is open and doesn't see the need to use the normal "incoming text" sound, or "incoming text notification" pop up since I have it open already.

Think about it, if I left it open, and it would pop up as usual, wouldn't it be superfluous?

Instead it switches to the quieter incoming sound and "Messages (1)" at the top left.

My only word of advice is, to get into the habit of closing your SMS app before locking your device.

To send a new text message, I press the text icon and wait 3-4 seconds for the list of past texts to appear, choose the name of the person I want to text, wait another 3-4 seconds for the new message screen to appear. As it's easier for me to text with my phone in landscape position, when I turn the phone it takes another 3-4 seconds for the screen to switch from portrait to landscape.
    As for the phone itself being slow, this may be a by product of it being an iPhone 3G. The 3Gs is pretty quick, which is one of it's selling points differentiating between the two.

With my BB, all my emails and texts came to one message screen instead of one for texts, and then individual email accounts. Is there a way for this to work with the iPhone? I realize some may like keeping their email accounts separate but for me everything coming to one account is more convenient.
    As mentioned above, OS4 should bring unified inbox.

But in reality, this is just how different operating systems function. BB works that way, Apple works this way. Even with unified inbox, this will only be for Email, and not text.
    05-27-10 03:51 PM
    I thought OS4 would only upgrade on the 3GS?
    05-27-10 07:26 PM
    It's available for both the iPhone 3G and 3GS.
    05-27-10 07:46 PM
    It's available for both the iPhone 3G and 3GS.
    Yes, for both. Except the 3G will not have the feature of multi-tasking. I'm
    not aware of what other difference there might be though.
    05-27-10 08:09 PM
    It sounds like a lot of OP's "issues" are really just the age of the device showing. Its a 2 year old phone now
    05-28-10 12:13 AM
    Thank you so much for the advice and information. Good to know I actually know how to use the phone and am not missing out on major functions which is what I was worried about. As I suspected, even though the phone is somewhat new to me it really is two years old and just slow.

Again, thank you.
    05-28-10 09:49 AM
    To the OP,
    I was unhappy with the stock SMS on the iPhone as well. I now use iRealSMS as a replacement, and I love it.

If you're jailbroken, I suggest you try it. It costs, but you can find it for free on google :-)

(I was going to post a link but it says something about not having enough posts to post a link :-/ )
    05-29-10 12:08 PM
    Text now is very good and it's free with a choice of
    upgrade, 8 bucks gives you lifetime and in short it rocks.
    Give the freebie a test and I promise you will love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 09:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD