04-19-10 09:49 AM
35 12
tools
    Was reflecting on the iPhone UI (User Interface) evolving from an elegant see and select style to a more multi-layered Blackberry-like experence (multi home screens, cut and paste, multi tasking, ect). While I like where it's evolving to, many people here regularly blast RIM for the Blackberry OS/UI being too complex, too many menus, ect. I regularly tell people that if they don't like the multi-layered Blackberry OS/UI to get an iPhone for it's simple direct UI, but that's less true anymore. How does the iPhone crowd feel about this evolution?
    04-15-10 06:25 AM
    I for one think it's a bad direction and Apple has to be careful. People like ease of use, not sub menu after sub menu. Sure everyone here would love it I'm sure..(geeks!) but the average folk will get frustrated and have no use for it.
    04-15-10 07:56 AM
    I feel it is becoming rather boring. It is true apps make up for the experience but with android for instance there are widgets and live wall papers that make the UI so much more interesting.
    04-15-10 07:57 AM
    No - it's simply taking the successful parts of RIM of using those. Why not learn from one of the most successful cellular makers in this field...

Personally I love the changes, makes it much easier, I would prefer a lot more customization though.
    04-15-10 08:20 AM
    The UI is still clean and simple. Adding functionality like copy and paste does not make the UI anymore complicated. I mean all you do is pressed and hold whereas on a blackberry you need to use the menu key (if you don't know the shortcut) then select the text and back to the menu key. Everything is still done much easier on the iphone than any other device. Still don't have to deal with a bunch of submenus.
    04-15-10 09:20 AM
    I personally like the simplicity of the iPhone. But, having said that, with multitasking coming shortly, I think that's going to change...
    04-15-10 09:58 AM
    I don't see how multitasking, copy and paste, and multiple home screens makes the iPhone remotely like a RIM device.
    04-15-10 10:14 AM
    I personally like the simplicity of the iPhone. But, having said that, with multitasking coming shortly, I think that's going to change...
    I agree with that statement.

With the Android geek nation OS receiving more and more praise, Apple will be pressured to go geek of which they can but not about.

Apple needs to stay focus on mainstream.

Mainstream = simplicity, simple GUI, simple OS. Honestly 90% of people could care less about multitasking let alone even know what it is. The loudest are of course the geeks but Apple needs to realize they are also a very very small portion of sales (iPhone not MAC).

Out of the 50 or so people I know who have a variation of the iPhone maybe 3-4 of them know the ins and outs; the rest don't have a clue.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 04-15-10 at 10:24 AM.
    04-15-10 10:22 AM
    I don't see how multitasking, copy and paste, and multiple home screens makes the iPhone remotely like a RIM device.
    Exactly. Now adding functionality is a negative thing. People bash Apple and the iPhone for lack of basic features and now they are adding them, it's a negative thing. One thing people should realize about Apple by now, is that whatever they make, they want it to be easy to use. I'm pretty sure they work on being able to add functionality without taking away from the ease of use.

Don't complain about not having copy and paste but then complain about how to use it. Copy and paste on the iPhone is by far the easiest to use on any touch screen. Just like having multitasking.... Users don't even have to manage the open apps. They are just there in the background and won't affect the performance of the device or battery (so Apple says). I mean if that is true, I don't know what more people can ask for. They are giving more functionality and little work for people to actually use it. I mean what else do we want, for us to just "think" it and it happens. How much more simplier can it get while still adding stuff?

It baffles me because people will always find ways to complain. Here's my take, don't use the extra functionality then. There is no other device out there that will be able to perform the same tasks easier.
    04-15-10 11:17 AM
    I dont wan't anything remotely complicated.

Not because I can't handle it, just because if something simple can handle something complicated, then why go the complicated route?

With that said, I don't think Apple has yet reached the "it's complicated" status yet.

It'll become second nature, and streamlined fairly quickly.
    04-15-10 11:31 AM
    Is the iPhone UI becoming too Blackberry-like?
    Let me get this straight.... You think that would be a BAD thing??
    If my iphone could retain its general physical high end feel, and touch screen that actually works, and kick azz browser.... And THEN...get some of the down-to-business-and-quit-messin-around seriousness of my 9700; I would MARRY it!! lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-10 11:33 AM
    When the iPhone gets a physcial menu button key, then we'll be talking.
    04-15-10 11:45 AM
    No - it's simply taking the successful parts of RIM of using those. Why not learn from one of the most successful cellular makers in this field...

Personally I love the changes, makes it much easier, I would prefer a lot more customization though.
    The UI is still clean and simple. Adding functionality like copy and paste does not make the UI anymore complicated. I mean all you do is pressed and hold whereas on a blackberry you need to use the menu key (if you don't know the shortcut) then select the text and back to the menu key. Everything is still done much easier on the iphone than any other device. Still don't have to deal with a bunch of submenus.
    I agree with some of the statements above..

Personally I love my iPhone but wish a few more aspects were like my Blackberry. I already have folders, Multi tasking, instant push mail etc.. so to see these features in an Apple OS is good news.

So for me it's all good!

After seeing some videos of OS4, I think everyone will be very happy.
    All of the additions are still very easy to use so I don't think others will be disappointed either...
    04-15-10 11:49 AM
    Apple has to keep improving its features and functionality to get new customers. The original iPhone got the people that wanted an iPod and a phone combined but ran on EDGE so it really couldn't download apps or songs quickly. Then came the 3G, then OS3 for people who were switching but wanted cut/paste and lanscape keybord, and now the new version and OS 4 will bring in people that were waiting for multitasking and other features. Apples running a one year refresh cycle and adding to try to convince existing customers to upgrade, and non customers to move over. You don't have to use the folders and other things so the existing customers can dumb it down to what they are used too, but power users can get it to do what they want. Makes sense, try to keep the customers you have and add features to get in the holdouts. They will keep trying to add features to take marketshare away from from RIM//DROID/etc, and those companies will be doing the same to take away from the others.

My concern is that RIM seems to be at a standstill on the OS with only minor revisions in hardware. I've seen this before when I was a loyal PalmOS guy, it finally got to the point where the promised OS (now WebOS) kept being mentioned and how it would blow other things away, but didn't materialize in time and now they are up for sale. Don't think RIM is in that dire trouble, since they have a strong business solution, but really what are some major things added in recent time?
    04-15-10 01:08 PM
    When the iPhone gets a physcial menu button key, then we'll be talking.
    And a flashing LED.

One thing I miss about the BB os is the menus. They gave me lots of choices.
    However, I also like the simplicity of the iPhone. You just use it.

So, here's a far out thought.

The Iphone master controller:
    User selectable, from 1 - 10.
    1 = technologically clueless, 10 = Geo Hotz/Dev Team hackers.
    The user can increase the complexity of their device
    (menu and customization options) by selecting a higher number.
    Or keep it simple if that works for them.

Of course, you know how that would go for many.
    People who had previously only ever used a dumb phone would open the box, set it to 10, then find an iPhone forum and say
    "My phone doesn't work."
    04-15-10 01:28 PM
    One of the reasons they got away with simplicity is because the iPhone doesn't have much functionality to it. Now that Apple has woken up and it trying to address the needs of the normal smartphone customer with things like multitasking (even though their solution isn't really multitasking it's good enough for people who buy iPhones) they will face new challenges. Then you as an iPhone owner will understand a little more why other UIs and phones OS are the way they are.

You can't get something for nothing, and complexity is exponentially hard to manage. Like when you graduated from your tricycle to a car, you had to learn to use a whole bunch of things you never had to use before.
    04-15-10 02:59 PM
    Not to put this debate into overdrive, but I love not having a menu per se' on the iPhone. One thing I couldn't stand on my Blackberry (8700, Pearl, Pearl Flip, Curve, BOLD 9000 & BOLD 9700) was the fact to configure an app\settings always seemed to take forever...

iPhone, install said app, and you've virtually ready to go. I'm just saying...
    04-15-10 03:23 PM
    The iPhone OS is still extremely simple and easy to use. It is almost nothing like the BlackBerry. Multitasking doesn't make anything more complicated. All you do is double click and the icons pop up on the bottom.
    Apple even managed to make copy/paste as simple as they possibly could.

04-15-10 03:49 PM
    I gotta say this is a bit of an extreme statement. The two UIs are worlds different and adding multitasking to one does not make them the same. It just makes the iPhone more functional for the users that want to take advantage of it and don't have the expertise to jailbreak their phone.
    All the BB users that hate on the things the iPhone cant do are so misinformed. The minute you jailbreak your iPhone, it is opened up to hundreds of new options that can make it do everything a BB can and more. Don't get me wrong, BB are great for many things and are very efficient in the things that they do well, but they fall behind when it comes to third party apps. I found that the majority of applications I installed on my Storm 2 and my 9700 just didn't function properly and I continuously found myself frustrated with the process. Solution: iPhone.
    04-15-10 05:57 PM
    Apple's goal in simplicity isn't to help users but to eliminate resistance to using the device and make the sale.

Now that the market was established existing customers start noticing missing features. It was all fine and well when they were taking customers from other manufacturers with phony promises of simplicity. It will be interesting to see how Apple resolves this tension between existing and new customers.

The touch UI is very approachable but it doesn't scale well. People are now expecting more features that don't fit neatly within the constraints of touch, Apple has some hard problems ahead.

Last edited by synthmole; 04-15-10 at 06:26 PM.
    04-15-10 06:23 PM
    I'm running 4.0 beta and I like the changes and it's still simplistic as it's ever been, just better, and I know this is gonna sound hard to believe but I think my battery life is just a little bit better running 4.0... nothing that stands out but it just seems better, between this and the new 4G, i think all what everyone has wanted will be taken care of, and we can only hope the cellular radio is improved as well... hopefully this is the qualcomm/apple rumors we've been hearing...
    04-15-10 07:55 PM
    . I found that the majority of applications I installed on my Storm 2 and my 9700 just didn't function properly and I continuously found myself frustrated with the process. Solution: iPhone.
    I have to agree with this 100%!

I had a iphone and the apps I downloaded were all like the native ones. None of them were buggy and didn't have nine thousand settings.

I'm looking into Android and wonder if there apps are like BB's? If so am going back to a iphone.
    04-15-10 09:42 PM
    Well, like Blackberry users, I see iPhone users take on their UI is all over the place too. Blackberry has changed from strictly business to business-centric with some fun stuff added and the iPhone is changing from see and select simplicity to being more multi-functional, yet maintaining the fun factor. I like where RIM is with Blackberry right now(well,add a better browser and a few other minor changes), because many of us need a work phone above everything. But there is also a need for a no nonsense smartphone, will Apple keep that market?
    04-15-10 11:24 PM
    That's definitely a stretch... in fact, it's the total opposite.

Copy & Paste is easier on the iPhone than ANY PHONE I've ever used. ANY! Better than physical and virtual keyboards and by far! I see a paragraph of an article I'd like to put into email, I can easily double tap the first word of that paragraph in which the word automatically highlights. I then drag the second dot to select the whole paragraph. I paste it into email and retain the format of the paragraph I copied, pictures included. Name one PHONE that can do it as easy? And did I mention shake to UNDO?

Multitasking on the iPhone doesn't even have to be used! On the BlackBerry it's not optional, the apps either run in the background, get suspended or neither from the jump.

I was confused about the multi-home screens, so if you could explain to me exactly what you were talking about and I can then address that point.

Everything about Apple does is for money and ease of use for their consumer. Their game plan is to keep it simple and at minimum make "dummies" feel comfortable with a smartphone. This means the not so bright crayons up to the brainiacs will be able to use this phone with ease.
    04-15-10 11:53 PM
    One of the reasons they got away with simplicity is because the iPhone doesn't have much functionality to it. Now that Apple has woken up and it trying to address the needs of the normal smartphone customer with things like multitasking (even though their solution isn't really multitasking it's good enough for people who buy iPhones) they will face new challenges. Then you as an iPhone owner will understand a little more why other UIs and phones OS are the way they are.

You can't get something for nothing, and complexity is exponentially hard to manage. Like when you graduated from your tricycle to a car, you had to learn to use a whole bunch of things you never had to use before.
    coughFANBOYcough

iPhone runs laps around BlackBerry. Traded my 9700 for my 3GS and couldn't be happier....well...I will be once the 4G iPhone comes out.
    04-16-10 05:30 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD