Withdrawn unable to delete
    Last edited by jrohland; 03-29-12 at 08:13 PM.
    07-10-10 01:55 AM
    they have been using video calling in europe for quite some time now. most overseas phone models not released in the US come with a forward facing camera. i dont think people are as interested in it as apple would like to think.
    07-10-10 02:03 AM
    I agree with you on both points.

1) That ad is brilliant in every single aspect. RIMs Marketing / Advertising Dept
    could take some notes there.

2) I also agree that the front facing camera needs to be something that is
    standard for a variety of reasons.

"Get out of the business" is a bit over the top but to not do so, especially for RIM
    will only continue to highlight that whole lack of innovation argument.
    07-10-10 02:04 AM
    they have been using video calling in europe for quite some time now. most overseas phone models not released in the US come with a forward facing camera. i dont think people are as interested in it as apple would like to think.
    I suspect that the lack of interest is because it simply isn't widely available here.
    It will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
    07-10-10 02:08 AM
    Video calling have been around for over 4 years and it hasn't picked up overseas, let alone North America. I think the growth predicted isn't going well as predicted is because people prefer to text and email more then showing their face over a live streaming video.

I don't think the iPhone 4 is going to revolutionize video calling at. It's just another fad unless all the phone manufactures and service providers come together and promote the feature.
    07-10-10 02:19 AM
    What does this have to do with BlackBerry Discussion?

That last guy looks like Matt Damon.

The subtitle made me chuckle: "People have been dreaming about video calling for decades."

This post has no cohesion.
    07-10-10 03:20 AM
    Lol, yet another thing Apple has "invented" It's been around for a long time now without being limited to one device and never took off.

3 - 3 Business - Services & solutions - Video calling
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 07-10-10 at 04:24 AM.
    07-10-10 04:22 AM
    Video calling is a joke!!!!! Rather not have it then have it because if you have it your forced to use it "well just video call me" and if your not in the mood you still have to do it you can't really say no but if you don't have it your you don't have it . I think trays why text and email took over phone calls video calling is just like making a phone call and really who still makes phone calls
    07-10-10 05:28 AM
    My 3 year old Nokia N95 has a front-facing camera. La-de-da. I could care less about video calling. I don't even own a web-cam. If you're calling me, you already know what I look like.

Apple is just great at marketing. They can take a lop of crap and sell it like it's the best thing ever. Oh, right, they are doing that now with the iPhone4.
    07-10-10 08:47 AM
    Yet another useless feature that Crapple is trying to act like they invented. Front facing cameras and video calling have been around for years, and guess what? Nobody really cares. It not a necessity.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-10 10:27 AM
    What you are all forgetting is that Apple has the unique ability of making "standard procedures" that most smartphones have had from the getgo, and instantly getting the general public to use them.

The majority of BlackBerry users don't even know that their phones can multitask.

The iPhone releases multitasking in its OS, and BOOM people use it. Not just high tech pushers either, but the "common user".

Sure, video calling has been around for years, but now that Apple has it on their phone you will see the "common user" actually make use of its feature.

Why is that? I don't know.

Chalk it up to ease of use, or marketing.

Not sure.
    07-10-10 10:37 AM
    Video calling have been around for over 4 years and it hasn't picked up overseas, let alone North America. I think the growth predicted isn't going well as predicted is because people prefer to text and email more then showing their face over a live streaming video.

I don't think the iPhone 4 is going to revolutionize video calling at. It's just another fad unless all the phone manufactures and service providers come together and promote the feature.
    The tablet computer was really a forgotten market until Apple came in. I can see the same thing happening to video calling.
    07-10-10 11:16 AM
    Do I care about video calling? NOT AT ALL. Do I want a front (and back) facing camera? You bet I do.

Spend some time looking at FaceBroke and see how many people (in my experience, mostly female) have pictures of themselve. It is a bunch. You want to sell phones, make sure it is easy to take pix and vids of the holder.

With my Storm 2 it is very hard to make images of the person holding the device. I don't want to do that often but, when I do, I dread how hard it is.
    Stick a mirror on the battery door. No I'm serious. The picture quality would usually be better with the main back camera anyways.

07-10-10 11:56 AM
    People seem to forget because THEY dont want it means no one else does. Thats ignorant, im sorry.

What about deaf/hearing impaired people? Like the Apple ad, it could be GREAT for hearing impaired people to communicate with video calling and sign language.

What about people overseas? What soldier wouldnt want to see their loved ones or child/new baby?

What parent wouldnt want to see an important day in their child's life when they move away for college or other reasons?

What about husband's/wives/couples in long distance relationships or just away on business to see each other?

Yes, I know Apple put most of it in their commercial, but it was BRILLIANT in the sense that it showed how video calling IS important to some and shows possible uses for the feature. No, Apple didnt invent the wheel here, but like other products theyre first to take it mainstream in the consumer space large scale.

People are naive and quick to bash something 1) they havent even used; and 2) hasnt been a mainstream US product until now. ITs easy to throw stones at the glass house and bash something youve never even used to see if youd have a use for it in the first place. And just because YOU dont have a use for it doesnt mean one of the other hundreds of millions of cell subscribers dont. There's a reason iphone 4 and a bunch on Android devices are starting to come with front-facing cameras.

Very closed minded and disappointing attitudes here.

Just like the haters who bashed the ipad because no one wanted a tablet and they sold a few million of them. Just like no one wanted games and apps on their phones, Apple has sold a few hundred million downloads.

Again, if you have no use for it and dont want to be open minded then why do you think we care? Sounds more like a bunch of Apple bashing and fanboyism then anything else here so far from the usual suspects who have nothing better to do than troll the Apple forum complaining about a phone and features they dont own and have no desire to own or use!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-10-10 at 12:22 PM.
    07-10-10 12:15 PM
    What parent wouldnt want to see an important day in their child's life when they move away for college or other reasons?

What about husband's/wives/couples in long distance relationships or just away on business to see each other?
    Like this? FaceTime Commercial Parody - CollegeHumor video

07-10-10 12:56 PM
    Lol

well I mean my point was there are tons of uses and if 5 or 10 people dont want to use it or see no need then why are they here complaining?
    07-10-10 03:13 PM
    if 5 or 10 people dont want to use it or see no need then why are they here complaining?
    Because they're on an Internet Forum and that's standard practice?

Seriously -- take what you read with a lot of very large grains of salt.
    07-10-10 03:37 PM
    People seem to forget because THEY dont want it means no one else does. Thats ignorant, im sorry.

What about deaf/hearing impaired people? Like the Apple ad, it could be GREAT for hearing impaired people to communicate with video calling and sign language.

What about people overseas? What soldier wouldnt want to see their loved ones or child/new baby?

Yes, I know Apple put most of it in their commercial, but it was BRILLIANT in the sense that it showed how video calling IS important to some and shows possible uses for the feature. No, Apple didnt invent the wheel here, but like other products theyre first to take it mainstream in the consumer space large scale.
    How about being able to just *call* your loved ones? They can't even figure that one out.
    07-11-10 03:10 AM
    The tablet computer was really a forgotten market until Apple came in. I can see the same thing happening to video calling.
    Actually the tablet wasn't a forgotten market as even Bill Gates uses nothing other than a tablet and considers it the future of computers, I read that over six months ago before the iPad. Apple is a really popular market and so people will gobble up there products which is another reason and there will be those people who will own an iphone, iPod and iPad which is completely redundant but they're apple so they will have those fans. Don't get me wrong its a good device (I got my iPad for free from my college) but I will want something that doesn't use what is basically a cell phone OS on a tablet. And for front facing cameras, they are good, people can see themselves when taking pics, although the quality won't be near as good as the rear camera and facetime would be good for the occasional chat but I really doubt you're going to be hearing "facetime me later!" As the normal user will probably just call

Last edited by mas3222; 07-11-10 at 03:33 AM.
    07-11-10 03:31 AM
    We had Sony Ericsson and I can't recall which other manufacturer's units with front facing cameras on the Fido network a couple of years back. In the time period the network was really really focused on trying to push the idea. (roughly 6 months) my stores activated over six thousand new lines. Number of customers who took this option-- less than a hundred. And most of the people who did take the option, took it because it came free with a specific "couples plan".
    People WILL use it cause it's free. And WILL like it cause it'll probably work better than what we had since it's wifi only, which means a more stable and faster connection.
    However... This is as revolutionary as Apple's revolutionary multitasking.

Last edited by tedzone; 07-11-10 at 06:32 AM.
    07-11-10 05:00 AM
    I dunno for me personally who deploys in rotation with a 7 month old video calling is amazing. Also like on guy highlighted the hearing impaired will love this as well. Now add in your usual apple fans, and again apple could have people thinking they invented video calling because they will make it popular for the mobile platform when we all know they didn't, just like some people believe they had the first touch screen smartphone which is ridiculous.
    07-11-10 07:36 AM
    How about being able to just *call* your loved ones? They can't even figure that one out.
    So deaf people are supposed to call their loved ones?

Actually the tablet wasn't a forgotten market as even Bill Gates uses nothing other than a tablet and considers it the future of computers, I read that over six months ago before the iPad. Apple is a really popular market and so people will gobble up there products which is another reason and there will be those people who will own an iphone, iPod and iPad which is completely redundant but they're apple so they will have those fans. Don't get me wrong its a good device (I got my iPad for free from my college) but I will want something that doesn't use what is basically a cell phone OS on a tablet. And for front facing cameras, they are good, people can see themselves when taking pics, although the quality won't be near as good as the rear camera and facetime would be good for the occasional chat but I really doubt you're going to be hearing "facetime me later!" As the normal user will probably just call

Yes, tablets were selling like hotcakes and dozens of other companies were selling tablets before Apple made the iPad. I must have missed that somewhere.
    07-11-10 08:55 AM
    I recently saw an ad on TV for the iphone focused on the front-facing camera and video calling. This ad is stunningly effective. I am not interested in Apple or iphone and I know video calling does not work all that well in the real world but, this ad will sell a ton of product.

Now my point; If a company comes out with a new device to compete with the iphone and it does NOT have a front facing camera, they should get out of the business. It is THAT important! I hope RIM gets that.
    Did you get the idea from this? It’s As If Apple Has Hired Don Draper

After reading that article, I actually agree. Facetime ads will really sell the iPhone 4, but, probably not until it actually can handle on the 3G network, and not just over wifi. I found it odd that facetime was working at a graduation and made me wonder about that possible "oops".
    07-11-10 11:30 AM
    We had Sony Ericsson and I can't recall which other manufacturer's units with front facing cameras on the Fido network a couple of years back. In the time period the network was really really focused on trying to push the idea. (roughly 6 months) my stores activated over six thousand new lines. Number of customers who took this option-- less than a hundred. And most of the people who did take the option, took it because it came free with a specific "couples plan".
    People WILL use it cause it's free. And WILL like it cause it'll probably work better than what we had since it's wifi only, which means a more stable and faster connection.
    However... This is as revolutionary as Apple's revolutionary multitasking.

Clear difference is 6,000 vs a few million people with the feature and where its 100% free to use and no special plan needed. Anyone who buys the phone has the feature to use no matter what plan they choose. People will only use something if they know others who have it to use it with obviously.

Its the sheer number of people who have it which drive the popularity of the feature and the iphone having it and selling millions could make the feature more mainstream than it ever was.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-11-10 at 11:51 AM.
    07-11-10 11:48 AM
    IMO I don't think apple is trying to revolutionize video calling, it's basically mobile iChat. All mac's have iChat so being that iPhone is a apple product it's basic knowledge that they would have this, I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner. Ppl hold apple to these out of world standards that simple things are blown way out of proportion, apple just has good marketing.

07-11-10 02:16 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD