I will be switching form Sprint to AT&T or Verizon. I don't necessarily have to get the iPhone, but more than likely I will. I will be on a family plan with 2 smartphones, wife and I, with data and messaging and a dumbphone with no added features for my Dad. I would rather go with AT&T as it seems to work the best at our vacation home in the UP of MI with Sprint and Verizon lagging behind.

My Sprint contacts are up and if I were to renew with new contracts, our bill would go up with the $10/phone charge and that would put me very close in price to the other two carriers. I don't mind paying more as long as the service is better and I've heard it is, with AT&T and Verizon, in the areas I need it.

Is the 3GS antenna really that bad on AT&T? I've heard horror stories.

Comments and thoughts are welcome.
    03-26-11 09:32 PM
    Iam with ATT and i have as good sometimes better coverage than verizon and yes i had a 3gs and my antenna was not good at all but when i got my i4 it was a world of difference....Good luck..
    03-27-11 09:41 AM
    I have a different take on this, the family is with AT&T, I used and still have the iphone 3GS before I switch to the BlackBerry Torch, the wife has the iphone 4.
    Aside from the retina display of the iphone 4, the 3GS got my vote.
    I believe it has a better antenna placement than the 4. It's not ALL glass so it's not that fragile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 09:47 AM
    The Verizon data plan is unlimited. Not the capped garbage AT&T offers. Also, AT&Ts inferior network makes Verizon a wiser choice. I got a work phone that uses AT&T and it always drops calls. My Verizon service never drops regardless of the phone I used on it.
    03-27-11 10:35 AM
    Unlimited doesn't matter, my family would never even approach 2GB of data, we just don't use it. We average 93kb a month with our Sprint plan. Why pay for it if I don't need it? With Sprint, it didn't matter since it was the cheapest.

The dropped calls is relative to your specific area, people ***** about dropped calls from every other service except their own. None of the carriers are perfect.

03-27-11 10:58 AM
    I had the iPhone 4 for AT&T, I switched to Verizon. It made a big difference. The unlimited data allows you to USE your iPhone. I also get better service. I have since jb my iPhone and to be able to use FaceTime over 3G is killer. Unlimited pandora, game center, etc I'd say switch to a Verizon iPhone 4

03-27-11 02:01 PM
    I had the iPhone 4 for AT&T, I switched to Verizon. It made a big difference. The unlimited data allows you to USE your iPhone. I also get better service. I have since jb my iPhone and to be able to use FaceTime over 3G is killer. Unlimited pandora, game center, etc I'd say switch to a Verizon iPhone 4

Exactly...With the unlimited data plan, I can connect my iPhone to my head unit in my truck, log into Pandora Radio which is integrated in the head unit and listen all day long to internet radio in my truck and not worry how much data is being sent and received. And it charges the phone at the same time. I can enjoy the internet worry-free of running into a cap limit. With the iPhone, I did much more than I ever could on my Blackberry so of course the data usage will skyrocket because there's so much to do with these iPhones online. And yeah, with the jailbroken phone, there's many more things you'll have access to that will increase the data usage for sure.
    Last edited by zwoof; 03-27-11 at 04:39 PM.
    jimmyv13 likes this.
    03-27-11 04:34 PM
    I have pandora on my bb and have used it probably 3 times, I have sat radio in the truck. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing by not streaming music, but I could fill up my iTouch and use that if I thought I needed to hear a certain song.

I think I'd use the browsing while talking feature a lot since I hardly ever have my phone to my ear.

03-27-11 05:14 PM
    I have pandora on my bb and have used it probably 3 times, I have sat radio in the truck. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing by not streaming music, but I could fill up my iTouch and use that if I thought I needed to hear a certain song.

I think I'd use the browsing while talking feature a lot since I hardly ever have my phone to my ear.

I've had iphone on AT&T and now with verizon, it really depends on you and your coverage area. For me, I get great coverage for both carriers so that wasn't an issue. AT&T data network is faster but Verizon is a tab bit more reliable as far as keeping a 3G signal when I'm at work where AT&T fluctuates a lot more. And plus AT&T doesn't offer unlimited data. So that depends on how you will use the phone. Many people are different so you have to access that. And do you care about rollover minutes and stuff like that. AT&T offers free mobile to any mobile number that doesn't use your minutes. Verizon only offers than in certain areas or you'll need a friends and family plan where you can only call a certain number of people for free. So it really depends on your needs.
    jimmyv13 likes this.
    03-28-11 12:02 PM
    Just came over to the Verizon iPhone from the Torch, and I love it so far!

03-28-11 04:34 PM
    As of tomorrow evening, I'll be trying my iP4 on ATT. I've got 30 days to see if it'll work for me.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help, it was greatly appreciated.
    03-28-11 05:02 PM
    As of tomorrow evening, I'll be trying my iP4 on ATT. I've got 30 days to see if it'll work for me.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help, it was greatly appreciated.
    I think you'll be happy. I live at 15 & Crooks and have no signal issues. And currently me and my sister share a plan and pay $150 a month using a Wayne State discount of I think 15%.

Also I highly recommend going to the AT&T store at Somerset.
    03-28-11 08:19 PM
    A coworker got me connected with the store manager at the Novi store and he's taking care of me. No activation fees on 3 phones and bogof accessories. I am a school teacher and qualify for a state employee discount, 15% I believe.

Last edited by jimmyv13; 03-28-11 at 11:15 PM.
    03-28-11 08:32 PM
    The Somerset Apple store is evil. I went there to buy an iPod touch last fall and left with a macbook pro. How the **** did that happen?

03-28-11 10:42 PM
    Apple has a way of doing that. I went there with my sister once to look at an iPhone case and she also left with a MacBook Pro. Haha
    03-28-11 11:10 PM
    Go with Network first then phone. Whichever works better in your area that is the one to go after. I have had the AT&T version and the VZ version. The phones work essentially the same I kept the VZ version because the network in my area is better with VZ.
    03-31-11 05:49 PM
    I've had the ATT iPhone for a few days now, the network seems OK. I have only dropped one call as I entered my school, but nobody gets service in the school. Satisfied so far as I get used to the phone.
    04-01-11 06:57 AM
    If you get good service with att i think you should go with it. I tried the vz iphone and went back to the att one. VZ restricts its phones, it's crazy. I google text all the time; i send google search inquiries and i get a text back with the answer. I tried this with the vz iphone and never got one, att no problem.

That was just one of the many reasons i switched back when i did.
    04-01-11 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD