09-10-09 10:30 AM
31 12
tools
    Remote wipe provided that the guy isn't smart enough to pop out the SIM card right?

And BBs on BIS have SmrtGuard, which has the exact same features as MobileMe for iPhone and at roughly similar prices too, if I'm not mistaken.

Just saying...
    But disconnecting from the network would disable remote wipe on any device. None of these security implementations are going to work if someone goes off the grid. With the exception of online storage, smartguard it does have pretty much the same features as mobile me. I didn't know anything about the product so thanks.

These things don't change the fact that Enterprise email and intranet connectivity on the iPhone platform are far superior to any BB on BIS. I know first hand as I replaced all my BBs with iPhones in June for my small business.

Had I chosen to spend a few thousand dollars for BES and upgraded each of my employees to a $45 data plan, I could have gotten everything the iPhone offers out of the box at a much higher cost. I don't need DOD level encryption for my small business but I need complete Exchange and SharePoint integration for my business dashboards so the iPhone wins.

Several of my clients won't use anything but BB and I still use a Curve on BES for my day job but many are seeing that BB no longer provides the ROI it used to, the competition is catching up and in some ways surpassing the BB platform. I'm not an Apple lover or a BB hater as I currently own and enjoy using both products, but it is what it is as they say..........
    09-07-09 11:32 PM
    But disconnecting from the network would disable remote wipe on any device. None of these security implementations are going to work if someone goes off the grid. With the exception of online storage, smartguard it does have pretty much the same features as mobile me. I didn't know anything about the product so thanks.

These things don't change the fact that Enterprise email and intranet connectivity on the iPhone platform are far superior to any BB on BIS. I know first hand as I replaced all my BBs with iPhones in June for my small business.

Had I chosen to spend a few thousand dollars for BES and upgraded each of my employees to a $45 data plan, I could have gotten everything the iPhone offers out of the box at a much higher cost. I don't need DOD level encryption for my small business but I need complete Exchange and SharePoint integration for my business dashboards so the iPhone wins.

Several of my clients won't use anything but BB and I still use a Curve on BES for my day job but many are seeing that BB no longer provides the ROI it used to, the competition is catching up and in some ways surpassing the BB platform. I'm not an Apple lover or a BB hater as I currently own and enjoy using both products, but it is what it is as they say..........
    I'm not trying to step on any feet. What works best for your company is what works best. Just wanted to point out SmrtGuard!
    09-07-09 11:44 PM
    This thread for all the discussed pro's and con's has been pleasantly civil, I must say.
    Been pretty interesting to get everyone's particular take on the issues, as well.
    Good show.

I had a couple things I just wanted to respond to, maybe get some feedback on.
    @ armedtank:

I don't think my concerns about securitys being compromised on jailbroken iPhones is a misconception - from a few things I've read, it sounds like it could be something serious, or at very least, to give pause to.

This sort of gives a general idea of what I ment by security, in terms of having a Jailbroken iPhone that would allow malicious 3rd party apps to have more of a free reign on your device - possibly causing harm to you or your company:
    http://mobile.infoworld.com/device/a...vulnerable-936

I'm not saying that malicious apps couldn't be downloaded on a BlackBerry by any means - the comparison here is how much easier it might be to install nefarious code on a Jailbroken iPhone vs a non-Jailbroken iPhone.

NOT a tech-head by any means, but this doesn't sound good. Maybe it holds water, maybe not. That "losing 80% of your security" comment makes me squint my eyes a bit and go "Oooo..." Though.

I'm not sure if Mobile Me is really how Apple should go about competing with other smartphone devices, either.

Just an opinion, but paying an extra $99 bucks a year ON TOP of whatever my voice and data plan might be, seems a little excessive - considering the BlackBerry has push email, and the ability to swap data between computers, online and via memory cards built right in.

If the iPhone had a slot for memory expansion built into it, I could take and buy Three 16GB SD cards for 30.00 each (est. Price from Newegg) and have an additional 48GB of available space right there, for the same price as 20GB for one year with Mobile Me.
    Just sayin'.

But you're right, having a pop-cover and an ugly slot in the side of the iPhone for a battery and an SD card, would probably make Apples designers weep at such brutal asthetic treatment. Lol.

As far as remote-wiping BlackBerrys with BIS, I seem to remember someone telling me about an application called "RobLock" which I guess allows you to perform that action, if you're not on an exchange server.
    No idea if it's any good.
    Maybe it's horrible even - if it does suxxors, somebody should improve on it and get that out into the app world.

Competition is healthy -
    With Apple and RIM both expanding their respective devices, this should be great for consumers in the coming months/years.

Yay for us!
    09-08-09 01:16 AM
    this reply is for dc

as far as jailbreaking would go, i would say its alot easier than people might think. i use to have a blackberry storm, and the fact that i had to constantly look for os's just to make my phone work, had me furious. i have installed os's on blackberries, and they are more of a pain then on the iphone. although i myself hasnt had the need to jailbreak although i have done it for friends.

but one thing i have to agree on with you is that consumers are getting the best out of all this competition with the iphone
    09-10-09 09:46 AM
    Jailbreaking is IMO safe, and does not alter the core functionality of the phone, it enhances it. I have jailbroken over 20 3GS iPhones since June not a single hiccup to speak of. I am more technically savvy than most, but if any of the myriad of available tutorials is followed, the possibility of doing any type of permanent damage to your iPhone is minimal. It is far simpler to jailbreak an iPhone than it is to install a leaked OS on a BB, just have a look at the Storm OS forum for examples of things going wrong for a great many users.

As far as being for everyone, I would disagree with that. One should have an idea of what functionality they would like to enable by jailbreaking. For instance, I needed multi-tasking and the ability to save email attachments to my phone. Two clearly defined goals that were made possible by jailbreaking. I'm not big on themes and the like so I don't have winterboard installed, I don't run themes on my BBs either. If you have a good reason, jailbreaking is a relatively safe means to that end and if things go wrong, you are just a restore away from a fully functioning stock iPhone.

Security is a priority for a great many businesses that have migrated to the iPhone, my small business included. Jailbreaking an iPhone does not alter the security of the device in any way nor does it make the device more open to attack. Not sure where that misconception came from.

No argument from me here, but I rarely use the camera on any of my smartphones. I carry a SLR with me just about everywhere. Apple should have added a flash a long time ago however the camera itself takes far better photos than any of my BBs given adequate light. I wouldn't use any of them in low light if it was a memory I cared about capturing for the long term.

Another pet peeve of mine, but I do understand how adding a battery door would alter the profile of the iPhone. Battery life has been poor for some but I have no problem going all day on a full charge and well into the night depending on how heavily I use the device and my phone is jailbroken running several apps in the background for a good part of the day. Many don't take the appropriate steps to allow the phone to run all day. Turn off 3G when not in use, as it is not necessary to make or receive calls, only for data. Turn off location services if you aren't using GPS, etc. There is a reason you are able to turn these things on and off. If you are getting very poor battery life out of the box, Apple will be happy to replace your device. As a comparison, I get roughly the same battery life on my Storm as I do on my iPhone if i use them in the same way. Actually Pandora will kill my Storm in 4 hrs flat as compared to 5-6 hrs on my iPhone. Your mileage may vary.

Apple tested the waters for non-removable batteries with the iPod they found users would still buy without a removable battery. If people refused to buy a phone without a removable battery Apple wouldn't sell them. It's just not the huge problem many people on these forums make it out to be. I have been a BB user for several years and have never had the need to swap out a battery or keep an extra.

A memory slot would be helpful in that situation, but a jailbreak solves the problem just the same, there is also mobile me which offers alot more than just file transfers. Again I understand why a slot was excluded, the 3GS has more onboard storage than pretty much any device with or without an SD card slot. To get a 32GB card to equal the storage built into an iPhone would be cost prohibitive for most people anyway.

The iPhone has it's share of shortcomings, but so does every other smartphone on the market. I find the iPhone platform more than adequate for my small business needs and due to it's excellent exchange and sharepoint integration as compared to the BB BIS platform. I also find it MORE secure than a BB on BIS because I can remotely wipe any of the iPhones I have out in the field if it is lost or stolen. I have 10 employees using jailbroken iPhones and I have no reservations about the security of the devices. If you compare a BB on BIS to an iPhone in a business setting with enterprise email not gmail, yahoo or hotmail. But exchange or lotus notes, the decision is fairly clear as to which will offer the most functionality to your enterprise without paying extra..........
    completely agree on you with the battery issuses. actually have 3g on most of the day and generally have no problems with my battery
    09-10-09 09:50 AM

But I'm still not quite convinced yet that jailbreaking, for everyone, everytime, is 100% safe and easy.
    Try to be a bit more realistic here. No electronic is expected to be 100% safe and easy for everyone, every time. An iPhone or a Blackberry using their stock options would not live up to this expectation, so why would you expect a jailbroken one to? Stop looking for excuses not to jailbreak.... If you want to do it, then do it. If not, then just don't.

Jailbreak is a 3rd party hack - and all hacking assumes that something unexpected may happen at any time. That doesn't mean it isn't worth it.
    09-10-09 10:30 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD