I think it's a little worse, WiFi is also affected.

I think it's a defective design but Apple has gotten away with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm hugging both sides in landscape mode right now as I type and WIFI is full bars and downloading a 500+MB game in the background, all while surfing CB full site and streaming radio in the background. How's your BBM conversation going?
    howarmat, scorpiodsu and Garz like this.
    02-14-11 10:44 PM
    What are you saying?
    I have 0 issue with the ip4 since day 1. Please have some hands on experienece with a device before you give your "review".
    I don't own an iPhone 4. On launch I went to the store and tested the death grip, and yes the signal dropped even with the strong signal at the store.

Here's the latest on the Verizon version:

I don't think it's a deal breaker, but having to worry about it or use a case that makes the phone chubby and costs quite a bit are turnoffs.

That said, I think Apple will have no choice but to stick with this design and maybe have some tweaks to mitigate the effects. This design allowed Apple to use a much larger battery and for the first time offer an iPhone with good battery life.
    02-14-11 10:47 PM
    This thread just put a lot of things into perspective for me. I've had my Verizon iPhone since February 7 and the only complaint I have is the lack of a better message notification system---even a simple blinking LED. Coming from the 9650, I really miss that...

Then I read JRSCCivic98's review and everyone's subsequent replies, and I realized that the only thing I miss are the notification alerts. The iOS is working exactly as it's supposed to work---no freezing, no little clock showing up while the BB "thinks," not one battery pull (can't even get to the battery), no desire to download a hybrid to "fix" the OS, and no Web browser that just doesn't. As for the quality of the iPhone, there are no parts that are loose, crooked, wearing off, or otherwise poor quality. I haven't had to break-out a roll of electrical tape, duct tape, or Crazy Glue!

This really is a great phone and I'm so happy that I made the switch. I've used BBs for 9 years and just accepted its short-comings as "normal." The iPhone has it beat on every comparison level, at least IMO (okay, except for the notification alerts ).
    02-14-11 10:48 PM
    I'm hugging both sides in landscape mode right now as I type and WIFI is full bars and downloading a 500+MB game in the background, all while surfing CB full site and streaming radio in the background. How's your BBM conversation going?
    I think you just became a jedi master of the dark side with that one
    02-14-11 10:51 PM
    I don't use BBM, and I don't play games. On my commute I notice that iPhone owners tend to play games, while BB owners usually read something. I prefer reading, personally.

Multimedia-wise, my 9700 is actually used heavily, probably more than most iPhones. I listen to lots of audio books, Pandora, etc. whenever I can.

Where the 9700 falls short is when I need to use web apps, and Opera is testing my patience. I will check out the iPhone 5, objectively.
    02-14-11 11:04 PM
    "Hugging" inanimate objects is not healthy.
    Maybe you should get a puppy.
    02-15-11 06:11 AM
    I don't use BBM, and I don't play games. On my commute I notice that iPhone owners tend to play games, while BB owners usually read something. I prefer reading, personally.

Multimedia-wise, my 9700 is actually used heavily, probably more than most iPhones. I listen to lots of audio books, Pandora, etc. whenever I can.

Where the 9700 falls short is when I need to use web apps, and Opera is testing my patience. I will check out the iPhone 5, objectively.
    Ya, I never BBMed either. Wasn't my thing, I used SMS instead and if it needed to be longer than that, email. File sharing in BBM was also a moot point because really... I couldn't get large files on my BB anyway without a physical transfer to the media card, which was somewhat useless as well unless it was a media file of some kind. Having large docs and such type files was pointless because I couldn't email them anyway if I needed to, so the BB was never used like that for me.

As for gaming vs reading, there's only one game on there right now and that's it. I can't sit idle during small periods of time throughout the day where I'm waiting on something and play games, so I don't use the phone like that. I'll pop online and read something if I need to or just browse (nice to know my browser can actually do that now, lol). If I'm going to game, it'll most likely be as I'm winding down for the night or if I'm twiddling my thumbs during a relaxed weekend. However, knowing that I don't need to go grab a separate device to do it is certainly nice; but that's just me. I don't like having 10 different things to fill all my needs. I have one smartphone, one cable for charging it, simple and orderly.
    02-15-11 08:12 AM
    @JRSCCivic98 - Because you're a no-BS type of person, I would love to read a review by you about webOS.
    Because of that, I would definitely like to read some Civic opinion threads on the upcoming Blackberry Refreshes, the PB Tablet, QNX,....and the upcoming "SuperPhones" that are supposed to be out next year.
    02-15-11 09:02 AM
    No deathgrip on my iPhone. I can make it happen instantly on ANY AT&T iPhone I touch.
    02-15-11 09:12 AM
    No deathgrip on my iPhone. I can make it happen instantly on ANY AT&T iPhone I touch.
    Agreed. I dropped many calls when I had the AT&T version and couple preform the "death grip". No issues at all with the VZW one. I'm guessing it's not as big an issues as we know the reports would have been all over the web by now because I'm sure everything blogger and wannabe writer tried to perform it as well.

And by the way, good to see you back to the "darkside" as many would say. You bounced so many times between platforms over the last couple years. It was actually quite funny, but now you can have your cake and eat it too.
    02-15-11 09:53 AM

I'm sure if it's an email they're reading, it won't be that long of a read... truncation ftl

I use both and I don't play games on either, but I'm guessing you see more playing games on the iPhone because they won't have to worry about a battery pull after they finished playing the game. Or maybe because the gfx suck and can't play games like World At War: Zombies, so they choose to read.
    02-16-11 01:14 AM
    Even if what they're reading is email or some text messages, at least they're communicating with other people instead of being absorbed in a worthless game.

That's what the iPhone is great at, shiny distractions.

02-16-11 11:19 AM
    Welcome to the dark side Civic. You got a much better device now.
    02-16-11 11:41 AM
    i want to see a poll of the mods and who still uses a BB as their main device lol
    02-16-11 12:01 PM
    Even if what they're reading is email or some text messages, at least they're communicating with other people instead of being absorbed in a worthless game.

Just because you probably have the attention span of a 3rd grader doesn't mean
    that people who use the iPhone are going to be distracted by what their phone
    is capable of doing. I've read many of your posts and I think you make some
    good arguments and I actually respect what you have to say. I know you're pretty
    knowledgeable. But this is probably the stupidest post I've ever seen from you.
    Given your history, I'm still somewhat surprised at this.
    Last edited by FigureThisOut; 02-16-11 at 12:15 PM.
    02-16-11 12:09 PM
    i want to see a poll of the mods and who still uses a BB as their main device lol
    Former mod here that wont use one lol
    02-16-11 01:10 PM
    I've seen this on other enthusiast sites. Usually the mod is a veteran fan of some old school brand and almost inevitably is disappointed by the brand's inability to keep up with upstarts.

They stick around the forums out of inertia or social reasons when in actuality have already moved on to using other brands or gave up on the hobby altogether.

02-16-11 01:55 PM
    I 2nd that. I've been wondering the same thing lately.
    02-16-11 04:16 PM

Just because you probably have the attention span of a 3rd grader doesn't mean
    that people who use the iPhone are going to be distracted by what their phone
    is capable of doing. I've read many of your posts and I think you make some
    good arguments and I actually respect what you have to say. I know you're pretty
    knowledgeable. But this is probably the stupidest post I've ever seen from you.
    Given your history, I'm still somewhat surprised at this.
    Actually, that's pretty standard for Synth.
    His comments have always struck me as those of a 'Super Serious', Fun Is Frivolous' kind of personality.
    I'm thinking if he ran a summer camp for pre-teens, he wouldn't let them outside until they prepared a 30 page document outlining their retirement goals and investment plan.
    Probably irons his shoelaces.

He can be insightful and fair, and enjoys discussion/ debate...
    But it's hard to imagine him smiling.
    02-16-11 04:39 PM
    He can be insightful and fair, and enjoys discussion/ debate...
    But it's hard to imagine him smiling.
    lol, that about describes him to a "T".

I have to agree though, his earlier post above was kind of a hard reach to try and justify one user's BB uses over another's iPhone uses. The "Oh, they've got a BB, they must be smart." argument is pretty much moot these days. If I can be waiting on dinner to come to my table and you call me with an issue, which I can solve by taking remote control of your system from the same device you just called me on, that's my sort of lifestyle answer! Add to that the fact that this device's size won't make me look like a techno geek to people around me. I don't mind being viewed as one, but I'd much rather have Elite equipment to hide the fact.
    02-16-11 05:23 PM

You enjoy talking out of your *** don't you?
    02-16-11 05:49 PM
    Wow iPhone insurance is $10 month...

I bet the deductible for the iPhone is higher. This is why I chose the iPod touch over the iPhone. Saving so much money for basically the same device, minus the phone.
    Last edited by condemned; 02-16-11 at 08:04 PM.
    02-16-11 07:53 PM
    I think it's a little worse, WiFi is also affected.

I think it's a defective design but Apple has gotten away with it.

This is very true.

I have friends that just bought the Verizon iPhone and the death grip is just as bad as the AT&T versions. I'm sure Apple will ditch this antenna design they used on the iPhone 4 when they make the iPhone 5.

02-16-11 08:02 PM
    This is very true.

I have friends that just bought the Verizon iPhone and the death grip is just as bad as the AT&T versions. I'm sure Apple will ditch this antenna design they used on the iPhone 4 when they make the iPhone 5.

Why do people grab their phones like an Orangutan grabbing a banana?

I naturally (that means, without trying too hard or thinking about who to hold the phone) hold the phone with 3 or 4 fingers while making a call.

I didn't really know about this issue and I never had a problem, although I did try out to grab the phone with all my fingers like an orangutan and I hardly noticed any drops in signal power, maybe there was one bar drop at max. I also tried this on a Nokia phone, which gave me a similar result.

Neither of them felt comfortable nor natural to hold the phone like that, and it's more rare than common that I would ever hold a phone like that.

I had a Motorola flip phone from T mobile years ago, for which, they informed me to hold the phone so the bottom is up while talking, because the antenna is in the bottom of it and if I'm in a weak signal area, I could loose connection.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 02-16-11 at 08:11 PM.
    02-16-11 08:09 PM
    Glad to see you back, and happy with your new iPhone4. I also made the jump, so I'll probably see you on tipb or something (hopefully), as you always post a no nonsense anti fanboy argument that I'm always glad to read. I should thank you for letting me see the light that RIMs devices are scheduled for planned obsolescence the moment they hit the shelves.

Enjoy your iPhone4
    This is soooooooooooooo true!
    02-16-11 09:19 PM
108 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD