4) Inter-app interaction so that functions from other apps can pollinate the core functions of the main apps. (Basically the principal of the Super App bullisht that RIM marketed.)
    probably the biggest reason with notification as to why I haven't been interested in an iP4.
    Thanks for the laugh though on the bullisht comment. Rim does a little marketing and you slam them meanwhile back at the ranch I have to hear the "Amazing Retina Display" bullisht.
    02-14-11 05:38 AM
    Glad you finally found that one true device

The iPhone will never have the features power users want.

But, looking around, Apple is the only company with a mature and proven OS while the others are invariably stumbling through a transition or just copying ideas. In the end maybe competence matters more, and that is on display reliably every year with a new model and OS version from Apple.
    I guess what would depend on what your definition of a power user is... is? I couldn't do certain things with my BB because it lacked the app or native OS support to do it. You still can't pick a number from the Call Log and have it added to a preexisting contact without having to do a copy and paste. I can either do a copy/paste from my call log or simply select Add to Existing Contact from the number details. How is BB more power user friendly in this particular example?

probably the biggest reason with notification as to why I haven't been interested in an iP4.
    Thanks for the laugh though on the bullisht comment. Rim does a little marketing and you slam them meanwhile back at the ranch I have to hear the "Amazing Retina Display" bullisht.
    lol, thanks?

Also, if you think Super Apps was a good marketing lingo for RIM to use, I will probably go out on a limb and say you think the marketing strategy behind "To the Cloud" is amazing as well? My point, it's rehashed lingo for the brainwashed masses. Synergetic Apps would have been a better moniker to use instead of Super Apps... lol That way, it would actually indicate the precise function being depicted. If you tell me a BB app is "Super" and it looks 10 times worse then another platform's app (Android/iOS/WebOS), I would be wondering why it's called Super in the first place. If you had told me Synergetic, I could easily see the point behind the description based on the interweaved functionality of the apps into the core OS functions. I could then overlook the lackluster portions of things because I wasn't sold on "Super", I was sold on Synergy.
    02-14-11 08:26 AM
    The iPhone will never have the features power users want.
    I swear, this has by far become the stupidest term by smartphone users. No matter the platform. "Power user." Please give me your definition of this.

Posted from my iPhone in non-wap format because I have a powerful browser.
    02-14-11 09:02 AM
    I switched from the BB Storm to the Verizon iPhone and like you, I have never looked back.

The only thing I miss is having an alert tone for each of my email accounts. But other than that the Storm is really not even in the same league as the iPhone.
    Last edited by Rosebudster; 02-14-11 at 12:20 PM.
    02-14-11 09:40 AM
    I think what's interesting is that generally speaking people have less issues (which in turn equals less questions asked) with the iPhone. Like most BB users at one time or another, we've all had some mysterious "problem" with our device which ended up being a service books issue, or an app icon mysteriously disappears but the device still shows it as being installed, etc. I've found in my 2+ years as a BB user that the answers to many BB users' questions aren't out in the open and easily attainable.

It's this aspect of BB (the mysterious and convoluted nature of the OS) that has led to the creation of all the BB masters found on crackberry.com and all over the net. I feel that iOS is just so much more intuitive, straight forward, and understandable that I don't believe there are any "iPhone masters".

GENERALLY speaking I believe that any "normal" average person could pick up an iPhone for the first time and in a day or two know how to use and "work" the device just as good as someone who has been playing with an iPhone since 2007.

Now I'm not knocking any BB masters and I'm not saying those new to iPhone don't use forums to find answers to questions. What I'm saying is that in the grand scheme of things, if you look at the big picture, the iPhone really puts everyone on a level playing field and blurs the lines between someone new and a "master" much faster.

So people like howarmat spend less time typing out instructions on how to resend service books and wipe and install a OS, and spend more time answering questions like whether someone should or shouldn't get a white iPhone vs. a black one lol.
    Yes, I agree. The iPhone is very intuitive and beautifully designed so the learning-curve frustration level is very, very low if at all.

One thing that made me frustrated with my Storm is that apps would appear on my phone that I didn't download! I hate sports and lo and behold an ESPN icon appeared along with others that I had no interest in. And the Sure Type .... it's horrible. Whoever thought we needed that should have his/her head examined.

I say ... Thank you Apple for the iPhone, iPad, iPod and more ... what an innovative company that has enhanced our daily lives.
    Last edited by Rosebudster; 02-14-11 at 09:48 AM.
    02-14-11 09:45 AM
    And your point? I just finished telling you he knows how to time travel....
    Lmao..perhaps this was why he took a medical leave. Time travel is hard on the body i've heard
    02-14-11 10:04 AM
    Lmao..perhaps this was why he took a medical leave. Time travel is hard on the body i've heard
    Yes, this is very true, I know it was for me anyway.
    02-14-11 10:43 AM
    I guess what would depend on what your definition of a power user is... is? I couldn't do certain things with my BB because it lacked the app or native OS support to do it. You still can't pick a number from the Call Log and have it added to a preexisting contact without having to do a copy and paste. I can either do a copy/paste from my call log or simply select Add to Existing Contact from the number details. How is BB more power user friendly in this particular example?
    I'm referring to your expectation that Apple will add multiple signatures to Mail. Notice that you also can't email meeting attendees when you're late, and so on.

Mail will always be a simple app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-11 10:50 AM
    OK, so I've always been behind the iPhone in terms of usability and function/features over BB. The issues I've always had with BB is the fact that it has such lacking app support and even lacking native capability support from RIM that "I can't effectively fill my everyday needs with a single device". You guys know that I like to have the ability to carry one device that can do as much as possible and with BB I couldn't do that effectively. I knew other platforms could solve this, but there was always one or two things keeping me from switching. (iPhone not available on Verizon, Android having crappy ActiveSync policy support, etc.). Well, all that ended last week. I'm now iPhone enabled and I'm not finding myself looking back.

I came from the Storm series of BB, so touchscreen was never a miagration issue for me. I had and used other QWERTY BBs before as well, so no one can blame my experience on the Storm 1/2 at all. Besides, I've setup pretty much every flavor of mobile smartphone platforms for individuals and businesses, so I've seen and used them all. Below are few views I'd like to share with everyone that's worried about moving to the iPhone. I understand that not all wil share my views and not all work like I do, but let me show you how I use this platform to outperform my BB of yesteryear. Lol

1) Email - Truncated email and poor HTML rendering... is no more! I can finally get all my email and view it and its attachments like I can in Outlook. The native attachment viewer on BB would treat some of my Word docs that had tables in them as Excel ones. That's no longer an issue and I can finally read MY ENTIRE email that would be lengthy order forms or lista for IT equipment or WAN connectivity orders from various carriers. Also, simpler mailbox subfolder navigation and filing is a big plus and I think better than BB. I also no longer need to worry about not being able to see the images someone screenprints into an email for an error they'd get and wanted me to see. Now I just zoom in and out of the email body to see it in detail. Do that on a BB. Heck, the PlayBook can't even do that with the native email bridge link.

2) Web Browsing - Um, ya, OS6 can suck it with their high Acid score BS. The iPhone handles all sites I visit with no issues. Heck, I can even configure network gear (firewalls, routers, printers, etc.) that have a web management portal on them. The thing just works. Oh and online videos... what's the problem again with no Flash support? I've hit CB, Engadget, etc. sites and switched them over to the full desktop site and I see the video windows properly displayed. I click them and they open and play full screen high quality videos. If I'm streaming Internet radio in the background, that dims down in volume before the video starts to play, very nice audio transition experience. Basically, the isht works!

3) Apps - Well, that's not even a contest. I need to be able to support my clients at the drop of a hat. Yes, that means that if I'm out on the town with just my phone, it better be able to fill the functionality of my laptop, no questions asked. I'm not carrying a 7" tablet with me when I'm out. Screw that! I can use RDP clients and other remote control apps to hit your PC/Server/etc. and fix your problem while yapping with you on Bluetooth and if you're iPhone savvy, I'll even let you check out my hotness via Facetime as I wave goodby to your issues and hello to the $$$ I just charged you for my time.

4) Battery Life - Better than the Storms. I don't care if you get 3 days out of your 9700, you can't do all the stuff I can with this thing. Have fun reading and typing emails for 3 days while hoping you won't get a lon (message truncated 30865 bytes)

There will be more coming in the near future and feel free to ask queations if you have any. And yes, this post was made on the full CB site from my iPhone while listening to streaming radio. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go do some Mod work from my phone, now that it's no longer a problem. (WAP site what? )

Welcome to the dark side
    02-14-11 11:23 AM
    I came from the Storm series of BB
    Now that you're no longer going to be pointing out all the "features" of the Storm HASH...ehem Storm OS'.... can you use your mod powers and close those forums??? That joke is definietly over!
    02-14-11 11:36 AM
    @JRSCCivic98 - Because you're a no-BS type of person, I would love to read a review by you about webOS. But, yeah, as much as so many people like to p.oo on iOS, it's easy to get past the shortcomings when the core competencies run so well.
    02-14-11 12:01 PM
    The only thing I miss is having an alert tone for each of my email accounts...
    I love that I can do this on my S2, but I've heard that this is possible on the iPhone if you are willing to jailbreak it. Is this true?

My question for the OP... will you entertain the idea of jailbreaking your iPhone4?

Also, is it worth waiting till Q4 when Big Red may have a 4LTE version of the iPhone?
    Last edited by Altimate_One; 02-14-11 at 12:40 PM. Reason: I forgot my last question.
    02-14-11 12:38 PM
    @JRSCCivic98 - Because you're a no-BS type of person, I would love to read a review by you about webOS.
    I'll tell you about webOS.

Great ideas, but miserable experience. This thing lags, in the worst possible moments. That thing literally embarrassed me in front of people numerous times.

I have never hated a phone more than my Pre. I wanted to smash it to pieces on many occasions but figured it wasn't very environmentally friendly.

At Palm you have a bunch of JavaScript and HTML ideologues who are trying to make an OS out of a browser and have it perform acceptably on phone hardware. They seem to be confused on what "light-weight" means. The lighter the language and tools, the heavier the workload for the phone hardware. This means expensive and uncompetitive hardware requirements (dual cores anyone?), miserable battery life and unpredictable, hard to optimize performance.

After the Pre, experiencing the snappiness and battery life of the 9700 was heaven, even if it didn't have webKit. That's why I cringe when I see RIM aping Palm with WebWorks, again making webKit the core app runtime of the OS. It's a lazy replacement for a proper SDK and it will fail.
    02-14-11 12:56 PM

Great ideas, but miserable experience. This thing lags, in the worst possible moments. That thing literally embarrassed me in front of people numerous times.

I have never hated a phone more than my Pre. I wanted to smash it to pieces on many occasions but figured it wasn't very environmentally friendly.

At Palm you have a bunch of JavaScript and HTML ideologues who are trying to make an OS out of a browser and have it perform acceptably on phone hardware. They seem to be confused on what "light-weight" means. The lighter the language and tools, the heavier the workload for the phone hardware. This means expensive and uncompetitive hardware requirements (dual cores anyone?), miserable battery life and unpredictable, hard to optimize performance.

After the Pre, experiencing the snappiness and battery life of the 9700 was heaven, even if it didn't have webKit. That's why I cringe when I see RIM aping Palm with WebWorks, again making webKit the core app runtime of the OS. It's a lazy replacement for a proper SDK and it will fail.
    Word is the pre 3 will have a 1.4 processor so that would help. As with anything that's new, beta testing sucks... I should know I was a storm 1/2 owner.
    02-14-11 02:56 PM
    Google is dragging their butts with proper ActiveSync policy support and all of their handsets (because everyone does their own thing) are so fragmented, it's not even funny. I'm not one for super tight control on what you can and cannot do with an OS, but there aren't two different Android devices out there that have the same support and capabilities built in. An open platform is nice, but not when you let all your hardware manufacturers just do whatever they want in terms of standard supported features. This is where Google made a mistake. They should have kept the OS concept locked to the "With Google" designs as they did with the Nexus and such. Then do the OS builds themselves. Cutting the manufacturers loose to do their own thing with no "experience" guidance is a mistake because they'll just frack up your platform and tick off admins who can't guarantee one handset will work the same as the next. What good is that?

If you ask me, Google has pimped themselves out a bit on the Android market. They've elected to relinquish control over their platform in order to penetrate the market quicker. Let's just hope that bubble doesn't pop from over inflation. (There is already talk from users who don't think too much about what they're bringing to the tablet market.)
    So google has been dragging longer than Apple? he he... I like how fragged Android is. I love that it was intended to be like that from the start. That is why it is so darn huge today. (you know that) I think it would be neat if Android OS could have the right Microsoft exchange policies in place (a lot of people need that, and it is down to missing two of them I think for the 2007 mod) I don't use Microsoft for anything if I don't have to, ha ha, but I may with work. I love the iPhone 4. It is the highest quality phone out. iOS is OK, I for one get a little bored with it, and are far to used to Android to switch to the iPhone.

I concede, the iPhone is the best engineering feat (minus the QC with the Sig) but all phones have issues, but yeah, the 4 model makes me want one. I am a sucker for damn good engineering. Good luck bending jobs, lol!
    02-14-11 03:59 PM

Let me clarify, webOS 2.0/2.1/2.x...on a Pre 2 or Pre 3. I know the hardware isn't much, but the processors on those are definitely up to snuff. I think it's a remarkable looking OS, I just haven't had too much time with it...
    02-14-11 05:09 PM

According to people who have already seen and used the Pre 3, it is everything one would want webOS to be on a smartphone and should have been in the original (better hardware, better build quality, higher res screen, better keyboard).
    02-14-11 06:31 PM
    I can't remember right now what it was about WebOS that would have caused me issues, but considering Palm was going belly up, I wasn't going to invest in it even tough I picked HP as the likely buyer when we had that contest last year. I used to like HP stuff, but I no longer do, so I don't think an HP branded phone would have done it for me... especially since it would almost be like going back to a PocketPC from them, lol.
    02-14-11 06:44 PM
    I'm referring to your expectation that Apple will add multiple signatures to Mail. Notice that you also can't email meeting attendees when you're late, and so on.

Mail will always be a simple app.

Reading the entire content of my email is much more important to me than emailing meeting attendees, which I can do easily without issues by just emailing the group distribution list in question.
    02-14-11 06:47 PM
    Reading the entire content of my email is much more important to me than emailing meeting attendees, which I can do easily without issues by just emailing the group distribution list in question.
    Thank you! Thank you! And especially if it's HTML rendered and I'm nowhere near a computer to be able to make an order spot on with my vendor. I've easily lost on close-out opportunities on merchandise because my BB was limited.
    02-14-11 06:50 PM
    Again, I'm saying that there is no point in expecting Apple to add these features. This was in response to your listing of things Apple should fix.
    02-14-11 06:58 PM
    do you still have to put a rubber band around the outside of the phone to hold a call? Or was that fixed? Or was that just an ATT thing?
    02-14-11 08:13 PM
    I think it's a little worse, WiFi is also affected.

I think it's a defective design but Apple has gotten away with it.

02-14-11 10:11 PM
    What are you saying?
    I have 0 issue with the ip4 since day 1. Please have some hands on experienece with a device before you give your "review".

I think it's a little worse, WiFi is also affected.

I think it's a defective design but Apple has gotten away with it.

02-14-11 10:17 PM
    Thank you! Thank you! And especially if it's HTML rendered and I'm nowhere near a computer to be able to make an order spot on with my vendor. I've easily lost on close-out opportunities on merchandise because my BB was limited.
    This happened just today as a matter of fact. Got a big order email that was HTML formatted with a bunch of detailed line items, SKUs, etc. I was able to read it all no problem. I was a happy camper, but of course I knew it would work because I've even gone back to emails in my mailbox that were truncated in the past that I can easily read now, lol.
    02-14-11 10:39 PM
108 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD