I am considering purchasing an iPhone this week. My situation and questions are below:

1. I have a Verizon phone via work. This phone number to this phone is very important to me.
    2. I want to purchase a new iPhone for personal, and keep my work phone.
    3. Can I simply activate call forwarding on my verizon phone and receive calls on my iPhone?
    4. Is there any downside to this?
    5. In the future, if I ever terminate my work phone with Verizon, can I get that phone number back??
    6. Are there any negatives to me wanting to do this?

I appreciate everyones help!!
    01-27-10 04:16 AM
    I am considering purchasing an iPhone this week. My situation and questions are below:

1. I have a Verizon phone via work. This phone number to this phone is very important to me.
    3. Can I simply activate call forwarding on my verizon phone and receive calls on my iPhone?
    5. In the future, if I ever terminate my work phone with Verizon, can I get that phone number back??

Just try to get a google voice account and then you can have all your numbers go to one device. And you don't want to terminate your phone without having it ported. If you do that, you'll lose it. I would say try an iPhone, have your calls forwarded and see how it works for you.
    01-27-10 09:21 AM
    3. Yes you can. Downside, you can't receive text messages obviously; if sent to that Verizon number.

5. Before you terminate the number\line, call Verizon, and port the number to whichever carrier you want. Must be done before you cancel the line. Failing that, it would be 3-6 months before you can get the number back. It goes into quarantine.

6. None, except the cost...

01-27-10 09:55 AM
    youdont have to call verizon, to tell them. Just make sure your out of contract if you don't want to get an ETF. As long as your verizon number is still active and you have all the information from the Vz account you can bring the number to any carrier you want. Just make sure you have reception with att. vz will always have the best reception. that might be your downside.
    01-29-10 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD