The i phones popularity is amazingly second to one of blackberry's old curve devices??//!! Now that's amazinggggggggggggG.
    08-26-09 09:29 AM
    The i phones popularity is amazingly second to one of blackberry's old curve devices??//!! Now that's amazinggggggggggggG.
    That's because the Curve is free on AT&T.. who WOULDNT buy one?

If the $49 dollar iPhone 3G 8gig was free, I can guarantee you it would outsell the Curve.
    08-26-09 09:31 AM
    That's because the Curve is free on AT&T.. who WOULDNT buy one?

If the $49 dollar iPhone 3G 8gig was free, I can guarantee you it would outsell the Curve.
    Exactly. You can head over to verizon and buy 1 blackberry and get any 1 free. And the Tour just came out and they are already going buy 1 get one. If the iPhone ever NEEDED to do that, the sales would be even crazier. Not to mention it's only on 1 carrier in the US. Regardless of how obvious that is, people still overlook that. If the iPhone comes to VZW in a couple years, it will be the best selling device ever. Period.
    08-26-09 10:30 AM
    Exactly. You can head over to verizon and buy 1 blackberry and get any 1 free. And the Tour just came out and they are already going buy 1 get one. If the iPhone ever NEEDED to do that, the sales would be even crazier. Not to mention it's only on 1 carrier in the US. Regardless of how obvious that is, people still overlook that. If the iPhone comes to VZW in a couple years, it will be the best selling device ever. Period.
    To add to that, Apple still makes more profit. If I'm a company, I care more about profit than market share. Apple sells 1 iPhone and BlackBerry gives one free, who's profiting?
    08-26-09 10:43 AM
    To add to that, Apple still makes more profit. If I'm a company, I care more about profit than market share. Apple sells 1 iPhone and BlackBerry gives one free, who's profiting?
    Umm... You guys do know that it's not RIM that's giving these phones away right? It's the carriers doing the promotions. Buy one get one free is a Verizon deal, not a RIM deal. And notice the stipulation that you must activate a line on the free phone with a contract too in order to get the offer. Would RIM care if you activated the line or not with that carrier if they were just giving them out for free? No.

Regardless of how what the carriers do to sell the phones, they still have to buy them from RIM at full retail or a volume discount cost.

The carriers can do this because they make back all the money from the plans over the contracted years. Why do you think $600 full retail phones go for $199 to new or upgrading customers? To draw them in so they would sign up for a plan!

And why is it that most, if not all, pay-as-you-go plans have cheap phones or make you pay full price for a more advanced device? Because the carrier can't guarantee that you'll stick with them long enough to earn back the savings.
    Last edited by Zipster; 08-26-09 at 11:16 AM.
    08-26-09 11:11 AM

At the end of the day, all the other devices will fade in the background while the Apple continues to gain market share and popularity.
    I hope that never happens, because then there would be no reason for Apple to innovate since it would have no competition.
    08-26-09 02:45 PM

The carriers can do this because they make back all the money from the plans over the contracted years. Why do you think $600 full retail phones go for $199 to new or upgrading customers? To draw them in so they would sign up for a plan!

You do know that a Blackberry Bold costs only about $170 to manufacture but sells for $550 on ATT? Why doesn't ATT just sell the phone for $300? Because for $200 it can sell the phone plus a 2 year plan valued at $2400 or even more.

Carriers have been telling (lying to?) consumers for years, suggesting that carriers have to "recoup" or "make back" their costs by selling plans with phones. It's just another tactic carriers use to try to discourage people from choosing the plan they want.
    Last edited by mdude85; 08-26-09 at 02:54 PM.
    08-26-09 02:52 PM
    I hope that never happens, because then there would be no reason for Apple to innovate since it would have no competition.
    It won't happen. There will always be another company that creates an OS or hardware that will trump the iPhone (it's already starting to happen). The iPhone is starting to fall into the "common device" category now. It's just how technology goes.

The market can swing rapidly when something new comes out. I don't know of the possibility of it happening, but MS seems to be a viable contender in the future. It's already pushing out the Zune HD with it's Tegra chip and beautiful UI for media. It's got its OneApp Store concept in-progress. It's got the backing of the game developers and the gamers of the XBox 360 network. If MS plays its cards right, they can produce a really good competing smartphone.

You do know that a Blackberry Bold costs only about $170 to manufacture but sells for $550 on ATT? Why doesn't ATT just sell the phone for $300? Because for $200 it can sell the phone plus a 2 year plan valued at $2400 or even more.

Carriers have been telling (lying to?) consumers for years, suggesting that carriers have to "recoup" or "make back" their costs by selling plans with phones. It's just another tactic carriers use to try to discourage people from choosing the plan they want.
    Ok, so I got this one a bit wrong, but my idea remains. It's still the carriers that are doing the give-aways of devices, not the manufacturer. So to say that the iPhone makes more profit for Apple than RIM on those BOGO offers is ludicrous. Someone still bought that BB from RIM.
    08-26-09 03:07 PM
    And you realize it takes EVERY US carrier selling a curve to beat the iphone on ONE carrier right? And not even beat it by much either.

Also the Curve is now a freebie phone vs 199/299 for a new iphone.

Not exactly amazing.... More amazing that one smartphone, and not even cheap one, on one carrier can do so well.
    08-27-09 01:24 AM
    And you realize it takes EVERY US carrier selling a curve to beat the iphone on ONE carrier right? And not even beat it by much either.

Not exactly amazing.... More amazing that one smartphone, and not even cheap one, on one carrier can do so well.
    Doesnt matter, the Odin will be the smartest phone to hit the market.
    08-27-09 01:39 AM

Not beat it by much... Got numbers? Just your gut feeling?

And goes to show that exclusive carriers just hurt sales in the long-run. Just imagine how much better the iPhone would have sold had it gone to multiple carriers.
    08-27-09 07:19 AM
    I really loved the IPhone when I purchased it 3 weeks ago, and now I can not get it to work for spit. I updated it when I got it and put some apps on it and now and when I touched the email icon to view my email the phone totally shut down. I still have my bb bold which I am glad I did not replace, had the bold since it hit At&T shelves and never had any issue with it. I am taking the IPhone back today! This is a faulty unit.
    08-27-09 07:30 AM
    Not beat it by much... Got numbers? Just your gut feeling?

And goes to show that exclusive carriers just hurt sales in the long-run. Just imagine how much better the iPhone would have sold had it gone to multiple carriers.
    Story was already posted multiple times in these forums and theres Google. Not gonna do the research yet again because you dont believe it dur to satisfy some blackberry fanboy fanaticism. Its the truth take it or leave it.

AND Study: BlackBerry Curve Tops U.S. Smartphone Sales

it was BOTH the 83xx (ALL versions) AND the 8900. So what, 5 or 6 versions on all of the carriers (and the 8900 in Tmo and ATT) beating one?

All that proves is the iphone hung in there pretty damn tough

If 7 or 8 guys beat up one guy is that REALLY something to brag about, or more likely expected in 99.9% of the cases?
    Last edited by stuaw11; 08-27-09 at 10:49 AM.
    08-27-09 10:29 AM
    Yup, but I know that if the iPhone was on every US carrier, the Curve would be in second place by a long margin. Even with the whole 83xx series and the 8520 and 8900.

Really who cares that 7 Curves on 4+ carriers beat 1 phone on 1 carrier. That is not much to brag about when 1 phone on 1 carrier comes in a close second place. That gets more props in my book.

If it was the Bold or Storm in first place, that would be much more incredible than all the Curves. The Curve is a good phone though and I am not trying to knock it.
    08-27-09 10:46 AM
    Even with the whole 83xx series and the 8520 and 8900.

Really who cares that 7 Curves on 4+ carriers beat 1 phone on 1 carrier. That is not much to brag about when 1 phone on 1 carrier comes in a close second place. That gets more props in my book.
    Precisely. And they did in fact include the 8900 by what the study said, so I guess anything in the Curve line of devices.

So probably more than 7 even. VZW, Sprint, Alltel, Nextel, Tmo (2 i believe with and without WIFI/UMA) ATT (has 2 versions at least with wifi or gps), ATT 8900, Tmo 8900. Also dont forget the smaller carriers, not sure if Metro or US Cellular or such carry a Curve...

Id guess more like 9 or 10 "Curve line" devices narrowly beating 1 phone on one carrier. THATS impressive for the iphone to keep up.

Lets also look at price point, the iphone has ALWAYS been at least 199 until 2 months ago when it went to $99. Curves have been $100 or under for a LONG time and even BOGO (buy one get one) for a long time.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 08-27-09 at 10:57 AM.
    08-27-09 10:54 AM
    Doesnt matter, the Odin will be the smartest phone to hit the market.
    No, it wont. You have such a hardon for the device that you are over hyping it.

It will be a big brother to the Storm, but it wont be the "smartest" or the "most technologically advanced" device ever.

I've seen one and played with it. Yes, it's an improvement, much faster, scrolling, navigating, and typing is easier.. but at the end of the day, I still go back to my 3GS.
    Last edited by sniffs; 08-27-09 at 12:48 PM.
    08-27-09 11:07 AM
    Yup, but I know that if the iPhone was on every US carrier, the Curve would be in second place by a long margin. Even with the whole 83xx series and the 8520 and 8900.

If it was the Bold or Storm in first place, that would be much more incredible than all the Curves. The Curve is a good phone though and I am not trying to knock it.
    I really don't care who's first, so I'm not bragging one way or the other. The way I see it, that's more of a "carrier sales" that just happens to fall out to the Curve being sold the most for the before mentioned reasons. Still, yay for RIM I guess, since it means more money for them in the long-run, which means more money to research stuff for their future phones.

If we looked at actual sales between the manufacturers and the carriers (since that's all that the manufacturer really cares about), the numbers might be a whole lot different. But since no carrier buys at a 1-1 ratio, then the numbers would probably be meaningless to the general pubilc.

It will be a big brother to the Storm, but it wont be the "smartest" or the "most technologically advanced" device ever.

I've seen one and played with it. Yes, it's an improvement but at the end of the day, I still go back to my 3GS.

Here's what I predict happening. People will buy the Storm 2 and then be just as disappointed as they were with the Storm 1. The OS won't change much and that'll be the biggest disappointment that people will rant about.

The only ones that will promote it as being the best device ever are you, and the 9 other people who have a hardon for it. Everyone else will be disappointed.
    I personally think that it will attract quite a lot of people looking for a touchscreen BB device. Not to mention a lot of people that are moving up from the Storm.

Will it be as "flashy" as the iPhone's OS? Most likely not. But is it any less functional than the iPhone? No it won't be. The BB OS on 5.0+ can pretty much do everything the iPhone OS can.

If you don't like how the default theme looks, then once Plazmic 5.0 comes out, there will be themes a-plenty for everyone's needs!
    Last edited by Zipster; 08-27-09 at 12:09 PM.
    08-27-09 11:28 AM
    Active synch is built into Exchange server and of course now licensed and built into the iPhone! - to turn it on is ridiculously easy...iPhone then just connects. No tech support required!

The only reason your IT boffins won't want it is beause it's too dammed easy to support and maintain ...

BES on the other hand almost guarantees someone's job!!..Some BB users can't even get the web browser working without tech support!

Sooner or later though the smart CEO's and heads of department will FIND out when the active synch success stories start hitting the wire in a few months time - THEN the IT people who have been telling porkies and keeping 'easy tech' out of the reach of their users will suddenly find themselves looking pretty stupid and, quite frankly, dishonest. they will discredit themselves and basically everything they ever say will be viewed with suspicion from then on..

Those BB only guys better think LONG and hard about veto'ing iPhone - it could cost them dearly in the long run...

If they were smart they'd get an itunes app distribution store running on their network pretty quick and start deploying insanely great productivity apps and build and better facility than supporting crappy old BES server...they could have a lot of fun with iphone and look like company saving hero's instead of paranoid wierdo's..

plus activsynch will use the same ports as Windows Mobile and Outlook Web access ( which most org have open on the firewalls and I believe even BES uses in some instances (it can be a nasty port grabbing arse and often stops RAS running by grabbing it's ports) - plus BES opens a TON of ports so the security stories a bit of F.U.D...iPhone can only allow apps from a signed App server so there is no risk of compromise...
    This cracked me up.. Can't remember where I saw it but kept it..

All in all I've said it in the past, now present and in the future.. Apple sold how many iPhones on ONE carrier in how many years.. RIM's sold how many different BB's on how many different carriers for how many years... yea iPhone is LIGHT YEARS AHEAD and the SALES prove it. Game Set Match, the people have spoken... let it be law. [USA]
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 08-28-09 at 10:14 AM.
    08-28-09 10:09 AM

I've seen one and played with it. Yes, it's an improvement, much faster, scrolling, navigating, and typing is easier.. but at the end of the day, I still go back to my 3GS.
    Thats BS. Im not hyping sht. Im just simply stating my opinion.

If the BB storm 2 does indeed include piezo electrics, that will be the first step to having self powered device that powered as you type. SO YES. It will be the smartest phone on the market. You cant compare your 3gs all you want, but until the Odin is released with 5.0 then you cant really have a valid comparison.

So your telling me "poke the pig to make his fat jiggle" apps are smart? Your mentality on a smart device is obviously skewed.
    08-28-09 10:14 AM
    This cracked me up.. Can't remember where I saw it but kept it..

All in all I've said it in the past, now present and in the future.. Apple sold how many iPhones on ONE carrier in how many years.. RIM's sold how many different BB's on how many different carriers for how many years... yea iPhone is LIGHT YEARS AHEAD and the SALES prove it. Game Set Match, the people have spoken... let it be law. [USA]
    Not really. Like others have said before. The main things that factor in the iphones sucess.

1) First Touch screen phone to hit market.
    2) First phone to ever be released by a very popular and well known computer company
    3) Endless efforts to market the dam thing.

That doesnt mean its the best thing thats every going to be made. Im sorry. You guys need to realize that RIM is actually headed in a very intellegent direction with their technology, and that your "crowned" device (wont call it a jesus phone thats to much credit) will simply not remain crowned. You know the majority of people just buy the iPhone because they know its the "coolest" phone out there on the market. Everyone knows the iPhone. Why wouldnt they get the iPhone? They are guaranteed cool points if they get it.

Cmon dude its rediculous how you guys continue to use these lame comparisons of how long RIM has been in this and that game. It doesnt ... matter. CURVE is the top selling smart phone, does that mean its the best smart phone out there? NO! So drop your lame pride already and accept the fact that BB is doing their thing, and that your 3GS wille ventually become the past.
    08-28-09 10:20 AM

So your telling me "poke the pig to make his fat jiggle" apps are smart? Your mentality on a smart device is obviously skewed.

Squirrel Hunter - Games BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    BlackBerry App World - PhoneyFart
    BlackBerry App World - Fart Storm - The Funniest BlackBerry Fart App - Lots of Laughs
    BlackBerry App World - Revolver
    BlackBerry App World - stormSaber
    BlackBerry App World - Yo Mama Jokes
    BlackBerry App World - The Best Fart App - iBee Farting
    BlackBerry App World - Disco Ball

and this is better? wow, cant wait till your odin makes this sooo much more enjoyable.

for every app you point out that sucks on the iphone (fart apps, etc..) the berrys have just as many. this is why i get a kick out of the whole "berrys are soo much better for business" argument. business or not, everyone likes to have a little fun on their phone at some point. dont fault apple for using that to their advantage. i still love blackberry, my bold is still one of the best phones i've ever owned, but i dont jump on the bandwagon that iphones are merely toys either.

carry on.
    Last edited by Cobra302; 08-28-09 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added more apps
    08-28-09 10:28 AM
    Squirrel Hunter - Games BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    BlackBerry App World - PhoneyFart
    BlackBerry App World - Fart Storm - The Funniest BlackBerry Fart App - Lots of Laughs
    BlackBerry App World - Revolver
    BlackBerry App World - stormSaber
    BlackBerry App World - Yo Mama Jokes
    BlackBerry App World - The Best Fart App - iBee Farting
    BlackBerry App World - Disco Ball

and this is better? wow, cant wait till your odin makes this sooo much more enjoyable.

for every app you point out that sucks on the iphone (fart apps, etc..) the berrys have just as many. this is why i get a kick out of the whole "berrys are soo much better for business" argument. business or not, everyone likes to have a little fun on their phone at some point. dont fault apple for using that to their advantage. i still love blackberry, my bold is still one of the best phones i've ever owned, but i dont jump on the bandwagon that iphones are merely toys either.

carry on.
    Im not saying that we dont have similar apps too. But what I am saying is most of your phones emphasis is placed on the App store. You guys argument is your app store. and your smooth UI. Cmon we all know that alot of the apps for storm are pretty lame. You guys do fart apps and stuff like that better than the storm. So while Apple is busy perfecting fart apps (unlikeRIM), RIM is perfecting the touch screen experience. I mean isnt that the main thing that makes the storm and iphone comparable is that they are both touch screens???? If RIM is perfecting the touch screen experience, then what does that say about that? If you guys are going to make the point that you have better apps than you need to accept that thats what you guys have to offer. Thats basically it.
    Last edited by Card Storm; 08-28-09 at 10:42 AM.
    08-28-09 10:39 AM
    Apple isn't making any of the fart apps..

You mean, while Apple is perfecting the OS, making it super stable, making it super easy to use, making it not freeze, making it not lock up, making the scrolling super easy, making full use of the OS?

While RIM does what? is barely getting into the threaded SMS game.. uhm.. what else has it done? It's OS is 8 years old also.. Browser still blows, doesnt matter what device. People's argument that the BB is for email is a moot point, because hey, my phone does email too.
    08-28-09 10:44 AM
    Im not saying that we dont have similar apps too. But what I am saying is most of your phones emphasis is placed on the App store. You guys argument is your app store. and your smooth UI. Cmon we all know that alot of the apps for storm are pretty lame. You guys do fart apps and stuff like that better than the storm. So while Apple is busy perfecting fart apps (unlikeRIM), RIM is perfecting the touch screen experience. I mean isnt that the main thing that makes the storm and iphone comparable is that they are both touch screens???? If RIM is perfecting the touch screen experience, then what does that say about that? If you guys are going to make the point that you have better apps than you need to accept that thats what you guys have to offer. Thats basically it.
    RIM is perfecting the touchscreen?

While Apple is sitting on their Laurels?

Ever think Apple doesn't have to do this because they have a touchscreen that works, and doesn't have to have it's gaps gutted 2x a week?
    08-28-09 10:54 AM
    Not really. Like others have said before. The main things that factor in the iphones sucess.

1) First Touch screen phone to hit market.
    2) First phone to ever be released by a very popular and well known computer company
    3) Endless efforts to market the dam thing.

That doesnt mean its the best thing thats every going to be made. Im sorry. You guys need to realize that RIM is actually headed in a very intellegent direction with their technology, and that your "crowned" device (wont call it a jesus phone thats to much credit) will simply not remain crowned. You know the majority of people just buy the iPhone because they know its the "coolest" phone out there on the market. Everyone knows the iPhone. Why wouldnt they get the iPhone? They are guaranteed cool points if they get it.

Cmon dude its rediculous how you guys continue to use these lame comparisons of how long RIM has been in this and that game. It doesnt ... matter. CURVE is the top selling smart phone, does that mean its the best smart phone out there? NO! So drop your lame pride already and accept the fact that BB is doing their thing, and that your 3GS wille ventually become the past.
    Keep drinking the RIM koolaid.. RIM is now a follower in phone manufacturing and innovation. Apple put the smartphone back on the map. CURVE is on how many different carriers? The iPhone is on? RIM DOES NOT want the iPhone to be on different carriers.. trust me.

There are obviously millions upon millions of people in the short years the iPhone has been in existence who disagree with you.

This is coming from a Storm user.. the worst BB made... wow. Come with a Bold or Curve.. you don't have much BB or RIM credibility anywhere nevertheless the iPhone forums talking spew with a Storm.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 08-28-09 at 10:59 AM.
    08-28-09 10:55 AM
292 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD