The iPhone will continue to gain market share, I can't say for sure if it will become the dominant business phone but I wouldn't bet against Apple. Actually, I see RIM losing market share as opposed to Apple taking it from them. IMO this is RIM's game to lose not the other way around.

I say that because RIM seems to be comfortable where they are, they are introducing more phones but they are not improving on core functionality at a fast enough rate. The BES and BIS phones still suffer from old school file size and download limits, a 5MB limit in 2009 is laughable when people are paying for "unlimited" data plans.

I'll continue to beat my favorite dead horse and say that RIM's failure to support activesync for Enterprise MS Exchange and Lotus notes messaging systems will continue to be a major fail in the business sector. Customers are realizing that they don't need to pay for a BES server and hire a dedicated BES admin just to be able to sync their entire messaging system. RIM is supposed to be the king of messaging but unless you invest thousands of dollars for a BES implementation, you can't sync subfolders, contacts or your calendar. You can't even browse your enterprise address book on BIS, this is laughable when everyone else gives you all of these without the BES tax. As far as security, you can't even remote wipe a BIS blackberry if it's stolen, where is the security in that? A BB on BES is about as secure as you can get and I think RIM will continue to own the sectors where security is more important than functionality, but there are hundred of companies, mine included that are realizing that you just don't get a great ROI with RIM products.

Apple needs to do a few things if they want to take a bigger piece in this market. They need to come out with a device that has a physical keyboard. I know they haven't done it because they can make one device for every market and just change the language via software which keeps their cost down, but not everyone wants a touchscreen.

The lack of true multitasking on what is essentially a tiny UNIX box, the original multitasking OS is a major fail on Apple's part. This could be easily addressed as I multitask daily on my jailbroken iPhone and see absolutely no performance issues with it.

Finally, Apple must stop spoonfeeding us technology, copy/paste while great on the iPhone should have been available on the 1G. Saving email attachments to the phone, being able to browse/open files from the filesystem and downloading from the Safari browser are still not available out of the box. I have all of these features on my jailbroken phone so I am a little better off, but these are what I would call serious business functions that I shouldn't NEED to jailbreak to get.

Apple is opening a huge data center here in NC, so I think the push email argument will soon go out the window. I think they will be taking a page from RIM's book and running alot of things through their own servers in the near future. They are adding a ton of processing power here.

Sorry for the novel, but since I am a BB and iPhone user, I see how these devices compare every day and IMO Apple has the momentum while RIM is sitting back enjoying their success. Once Apple addresses a few of the major issues and links up with VZW, things are going to get ugly for RIM.
    08-21-09 01:39 PM
    Exactly. 2 years and a new model each year on 1 carrier in the US. Rim 8 years and a new model each month on every carrier. People want to live in denial because it doesn't support their feelings. I am aware of people like that, which is why they get blocked asap.
    Block this, Block that.

Why create a thread if you cant handle whats in it.

Alot of my threads get closed because of flammage, but Its never me asking them to clsoe it because I can handle flames...but

obviously....if those cannot handle what they put out...I can see how Block would come in handy.
    08-21-09 01:40 PM
    The iPhone will continue to gain market share, I can't say for sure if it will become the dominant business phone but I wouldn't bet against Apple. Actually, I see RIM losing market share as opposed to Apple taking it from them. IMO this is RIM's game to lose not the other way around.

I say that because RIM seems to be comfortable where they are, they are introducing more phones but they are not improving on core functionality at a fast enough rate. The BES and BIS phones still suffer from old school file size and download limits, a 5MB limit in 2009 is laughable when people are paying for "unlimited" data plans.

I'll continue to beat my favorite dead horse and say that RIM's failure to support activesync for Enterprise MS Exchange and Lotus notes messaging systems will continue to be a major fail in the business sector. Customers are realizing that they don't need to pay for a BES server and hire a dedicated BES admin just to be able to sync their entire messaging system. RIM is supposed to be the king of messaging but unless you invest thousands of dollars for a BES implementation, you can't sync subfolders, contacts or your calendar. You can't even browse your enterprise address book on BIS, this is laughable when everyone else gives you all of these without the BES tax. As far as security, you can't even remote wipe a BIS blackberry if it's stolen, where is the security in that? A BB on BES is about as secure as you can get and I think RIM will continue to own the sectors where security is more important than functionality, but there are hundred of companies, mine included that are realizing that you just don't get a great ROI with RIM products.

Apple needs to do a few things if they want to take a bigger piece in this market. They need to come out with a device that has a physical keyboard. I know they haven't done it because they can make one device for every market and just change the language via software which keeps their cost down, but not everyone wants a touchscreen.

The lack of true multitasking on what is essentially a tiny UNIX box, the original multitasking OS is a major fail on Apple's part. This could be easily addressed as I multitask daily on my jailbroken iPhone and see absolutely no performance issues with it.

Finally, Apple must stop spoonfeeding us technology, copy/paste while great on the iPhone should have been available on the 1G. Saving email attachments to the phone, being able to browse/open files from the filesystem and downloading from the Safari browser are still not available out of the box. I have all of these features on my jailbroken phone so I am a little better off, but these are what I would call serious business functions that I shouldn't NEED to jailbreak to get.

Apple is opening a huge data center here in NC, so I think the push email argument will soon go out the window. I think they will be taking a page from RIM's book and running alot of things through their own servers in the near future. They are adding a ton of processing power here.

Sorry for the novel, but since I am a BB and iPhone user, I see how these devices compare every day and IMO Apple has the momentum while RIM is sitting back enjoying their success. Once Apple addresses a few of the major issues and links up with VZW, things are going to get ugly for RIM.
    mk....im play brickbreak and unvalidate your whole paragraph with one statement.

08-21-09 01:42 PM
    RIM has 52% of the market after 7(almost 8) years.

Apple has 22% after 2.

Do the math.
    8 - 2 + 6... minus the 10.. = Apple is the leader RIM use to be.. now RIM is the follower PALM use to be and still is.

I do not think da Zipsters post are junk but do think he is a closet iPhone fanatic..
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 08-21-09 at 01:50 PM.
    08-21-09 01:45 PM
    mk....im play brickbreak and unvalidate your whole paragraph with one statement.

LMAO, I have 5 different versions of brickbreaker on my iPhone and I still like the simple version on my Curve better than all of them. Touch�
    08-21-09 01:46 PM
    SO? The point is when a company has 52% of the market and is being labeled Fastest growing company in the world....where do you think that 52% market share is gonna go....definately not down.
    Your quick to say that just because RIM is the "fastest growing company in the world" it's implicite that it's dominance is permanent.

This isn't the case.

In today's economy, on top today, can mean on the bottom tomorrow.

Especially with RIMs poorly aging OS...

Besides...Any New product especially with a cult following as apple and the marketing behind it being the first touch phone is going to automatically bring those numbers sky high...its not because its the best phone...its because thats what most people know. When people see my phone in its case they ask is that an iPhone? Its because it was the first touch phone and people who arent really into technology may not be as familiar with the Blackberry storm like the iPhone...If RIM wanted to go all out on marketing this phone they would have, but that wasnt their goal.

Point is apple isnt Brand New...Its one thing if apple was a brand new technology company and dominated the market, but they didnt have to work hard to get a cult following because they already had one!

Just wait till storm 2 comes out, and tell me how technologically advanced your iPhone is compared to the Odin then....its going to blow 3gs out of the water.....or in your case the fire.
    Your also quick to say that apple has such a HUGE cult following...

And due to that HUGE cult following, upon the inception of the iPhone in the smartphone market, Apple had a distinct advantage because it had direct access to draw upon its pool of MINDLESS FOLLOWERS.

Wrong again.

Apples **HUGE** cult following only makes up about 7% of all computer users.

So to say that they have such a LARGE advantage, and gain 22% of the Smartphone market based on their 7% grip on the market within 2 years is very illogical.

And for the sake of argument-

What WILL the Storm 2 have over the iPhone 3Gs?

A properly working OS?
    08-21-09 02:03 PM

Finally, someone replies with information of value, rather than "I'm going to ignore that 'junk / garbage'".

I do agree with your points of RIM sitting back in their chairs at the moment. But I do think that the we've rocked the chair under them a bit. They're are starting to come out of their nap and make needed changes. Slowly, it seems, but at least they're not sitting anymore.

I can't talk much to the BES side of things, as I'm a BIS user, but I would like to see some of the security features ported over to BIS. If everything flows through their servers regardless of BES or BIS, then I don't see what the wait is. Maybe we're just not demanding it enough as a consumer base. I do believe that now that the non-business side of RIM has taken off, they'll start (hopefully) to equalize the security a bit.

To me, it seems to all be a time game. Will RIM make your above changes before the Apple makes theirs? Will Apple finally have enterprise-level security before RIM adds better Exchange integration?

I do not think da Zipsters post are junk but do think he is a closet iPhone fanatic..
    Thanks. I try to be as realistic as possible from my point of view. I don't know about closet iPhone fanatic, but I just like to keep up with technology!
    Last edited by Zipster; 08-21-09 at 02:26 PM.
    08-21-09 02:04 PM
    Your quick to say that just because RIM is the "fastest growing company in the world" it's implicite that it's dominance is permanent.

This isn't the case.

And due to that HUGE cult following, upon the inception of the iPhone in the smartphone market, Apple had a distinct advantage because it had direct access to draw upon its pool of MINDLESS FOLLOWERS.

Wrong again.

So to say that they have such a LARGE advantage, and gain 22% of the Smartphone market based on their 7% grip on the market within 2 years is very illogical.

A properly working OS?
    I do beleive that you we will see a working OS. Because the OS that im using now works....

Also, your percentages dont have articles with them...so I will sit out on that argument.

I will say that apple is imbedded in the minds of people even when they are kids. I remember when i was a kid the big thing was "macintosh computers" everyone wanted to use one. We always learned about them. Its not the cult following from the computers...its the cult following from the whole world who owned iPod shuffles, nanos, itouches, minis, +the computers that brung people in. They had already established their multimedia image in the consumer society WAY before the iPhone.
    08-21-09 02:25 PM
    Yeah the iPhone has a cult like following.... there is no cult-like activity amongst Blackberry users. Notice the sarcasm. The RIM followers are comparable to Apple followers. Just as passionate and sometimes idiotic. Depending on who you're talking to.
    08-21-09 02:31 PM
    08-21-09 02:35 PM
    Exactly. 2 years and a new model each year on 1 carrier in the US. Rim 8 years and a new model each month on every carrier. People want to live in denial because it doesn't support their feelings. I am aware of people like that, which is why they get blocked asap.
    You block people who bring valid points, because you dont have an arguement against them.
    08-21-09 02:38 PM
    You being incorrect, makes your argument look even better
    08-21-09 02:38 PM
    You block people who bring valid points, because you dont have an arguement against them.
    No that's not true. There are still plenty other that I have good debates with and have no problem with. But I've been arguing with those guys for months so I choose not to go back down that road. Especially when it's the same thing being said over and over by all of us. The best way to do that is to not read it. I haven't blocked you.... we haven't been going back and forth over the same things for months. So thanks for the analysis, but stick to rim fanboism
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-21-09 at 02:43 PM.
    08-21-09 02:40 PM
    4% American Shares-

8% Worldwide Shares-
    08-21-09 02:45 PM
    No that's not true. Been arguing with those guys for months so I choose not to go back down that road. Especially when it's the same thing being said over and over. The best way to do that is to not read it. Don't like it, you're blocked too. Have a good day
    Wow, are u 6 years old? Because people are saying the same facts (Blah OS, nothing spectacular, just as buggy as the other phones, no MMS, no multitasking, no tethering) about something you like you get all **** hurt and block them. People like you set iPhone users back. Yes I know you cant see this but everybody else can and they too can see how much of a joke you are.

Edit 1: Nice edit on your post, but your original comment stays in mine . Also im no RIM fanboy, nor apple hater, but to be blind and see the simple features that Apple is missing is insane.
    Last edited by Lynx83; 08-21-09 at 02:48 PM.
    08-21-09 02:46 PM
    Wow, are u 6 years old? Because people are saying the same facts (Blah OS, nothing spectacular, just as buggy as the other phones, no MMS, no multitasking, no tethering) about something you like you get all **** hurt and block them. People like you set iPhone users back. Yes I know you cant see this but everybody else can and they too can see how much of a joke you are.

Edit 1: Nice edit on your post, but your original comment stays in mine . Also im no RIM fanboy, nor apple hater, but to be blind and see the simple features that Apple is missing is insane.
    So do you have to be 6 to ignore people? Actually, I thought it took more maturity to ignore people. Why do you have an issue with me choosing to ignore others. Who's the real child now? I just don't feel like reading their stuff. I got banned foolin with Card Storm a while ago so I ignore him because I don't want to say anything to hurt his feelings anymore. And I just don't like Zippy. Stop being obsessed with my reasons for wanting to ignore people. They have that functionality on here for a reason. Maybe you should have Kevin or the mods to remove the ability to ignore people. Please dude, go complain about something else.

To your edit: No one ever said the iPhone isn't missing features. It's missing a lot of things I want. You have never read nor never will see me say the iPhone is complete and perfect. I prefer it to blackberry. Don't act like blackberry isn't missing a lot either. Both are lacking in different areas. That's no secret. But I choose the iPhone over blackberry. Please get over it. It would be foolish for anyone to think either device is perfect and complete. You stick with your tour and I will stick with my iPhone. End of story.

(This is the reason why people get ignored. He's not saying anything about the iPhone or any device, but yet concerned with me ignoring certain people. He hating because I choose to use a functionality that is provided to avoid flaming others). But I'm the child. Ok.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-21-09 at 03:06 PM.
    08-21-09 02:52 PM
    So do you have to be 6 to ignore people? Actually, I thought it took more maturity to ignore people. Why do you have an issue with me choosing to ignore others. Who's the real child now? I just don't feel like reading their stuff. I got banned foolin with Card Storm a while ago so I ignore him because I don't want to say anything to hurt his feelings anymore. And I just don't like Zippy. Stop being obsessed with my reasons for wanting to ignore people. They have that functionality on here for a reason. Maybe you should have Kevin or the mods to remove the ability to ignore people. Please dude, go complain about something else.

(This is the reason why people get ignored. He's not saying anything about the iPhone or any device, but yet concerned with me ignoring certain people. He hating because I choose to use a functionality that is provided to avoid flaming others). But I'm the child. Ok.
    Really? I didnt say anything factual in any of my other posts? **** I even mentioned something that was in the message you quoted from me. Maybe I need to point it out better:

US Market Share:

RIM-- 52%
    Apple --23.3%

Worldwide Market Share:

RIM--16.7%
    Apple-- 13.7%

Source: RIM Owns Half Of U.S. Smartphone Market -- Smartphones -- InformationWeek (from 2 days ago)

Features the iPhone needs:
    1. MMS
    2. Tethering
    3. Multitasking
    4. The option for a physical keyboard (yes it needs it to improve sales)

Features the iPhone has recently added:
    1. Copy and Paste (woooo)
    2. Video recording (omg first phone to record video)
    3. A compass.....
    08-21-09 03:08 PM
    I wonder what I said to get hated from the OP? I overall prefer my BB to an iPhone (as far as I'm concerned, for my usage, there's nothing an iPhone can do that my Storm can't do).

He has his views and I have mine. But I believe that I conduct my posts in a well-laided out manner. No insults, no trolling. And I can conceide points if I'm completely wrong about it.

Don't know why he's all pissy over my posts. Maybe I organized my thoughts too well?
    08-21-09 03:12 PM
    Scorpio....you say that your tired of the same old arguing back in forth, but this is why..because you spread hate and when you spread hate its just going to come back to you. Below are the examples of why people have these feelings towards you.

Anything but a Storm. You'd be better off getting an LG Chocolate.
    Yeah the Storm is on the level of the Voyager. Only reason why people think it's great is because it's a blackberry. Well this was really the first garbage blackberry ever. It shamed the RIM family.
    It depends on the blackeberry. If it's a Storm, it's already broken before you take it out the box.
    It's comical of how blackberry fan boys especially those that own a crappy Storm sit around and talk about the iPhone. The number of threads about the iPhone rival those of the Storm. Sad.
    Yeah the RIM fanboys and apologists get very upset when someone criticizes the crappy Storm. Regardless if it's the truth or not, they can't stand it. But yet they continue to come to the rant and rave section and act like something is wrong when someone posts a rant. Anyhow, the Storm sucks and we all know that. Half of these fanboys will be rockin Tours by the end of summer.
    Its the end of the summer.......

And for the final touch.....

scorpiodsu
    CrackBerry Master
    Device Model: iPhone 3GS 16GB
    Carrier: More bars in more places Join Date: Jun 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kb5zht
    Are you trying to change CS's mind? He said he likes his product. What is your goal? All you are accomplishing is making urself look like a control freak among other things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

No I don't want to convince him. But he needs to stop trying to convince everyone else. See since you don't go to the iPhone forums (because you don't have the need) you wouldn't see him starting threads over there and posting saying "The Storm is going to get better".... "RIM is going to release an OS to fix all the issues". So tell him he doesn't need to convince anyone about the Storm, because I'm def not trying to convince him about the iPhone. All I tell people, is try it for yourself and then decide..
    “The first one was broke...so we fixed it" - SoCalSpecialist

Now all those comments you made, and then the last comment just completely contradicts this thread.

And you wonder why no one takes you serious.
    08-21-09 03:36 PM
    Really? I didnt say anything factual in any of my other posts? **** I even mentioned something that was in the message you quoted from me. Maybe I need to point it out better:

US Market Share:

RIM-- 52%
    Apple --23.3%

Worldwide Market Share:

RIM--16.7%
    Apple-- 13.7%

Source: RIM Owns Half Of U.S. Smartphone Market -- Smartphones -- InformationWeek (from 2 days ago)

Features the iPhone needs:
    1. MMS
    2. Tethering
    3. Multitasking
    4. The option for a physical keyboard (yes it needs it to improve sales)

Features the iPhone has recently added:
    1. Copy and Paste (woooo)
    2. Video recording (omg first phone to record video)
    3. A compass.....
    Actually I didn't say you didn't say anything factual. I was referring to the fact that you were consumed with the fact that I choose to ignore certain people in that specific post (which is the reason that post was quoted.... to show how you deviated from talking about the device to being disturbed by me ignoring people). Some people have been ignored since last year and some for a few weeks. So that's just how it goes. Get this, even some iPhone users have been ignored .

As for your points

MMS and tethering are offered by other carriers. But I do agree it needs to be supported across the board
    Already addressed your multitasking. Which you really mean running programs in the background. The option for a physical keyboard is an apple request not an iPhone request. The iphone is not a transformer. So basically you would like to see apple come out with a keyboard device. Understandable but that's not a shortcoming of the device. More like product differentiation. That would be like complaining that the Storm doesn't have physical keypad. But I get your point. Like I said all devices have their shortcomings. We just have to choose which ones we live with.

Blackberry needs

A Full Web Browser
    Real HTML email with access to all subfolders
    Threaded messaging
    More App memory
    No memory leaks

I just choose iPhone over blackberry for now. Ever since the iPhone came out I was switching between both because I am not loyal to either brand. Right now, I just dig iPhone more. When RIM doesn't something different, Imma try that too. I'm going to try an Onyx when that comes out and my Bold is still in my drawer. So I def recognize the shortcomings in both but no one can deny the impact the iPhone has made on the consumer smartphone market. It's time for RIM and everyone else to step their game up. And I hope they do. Intense competition is better for us because they become more innovative and compete over pricing. So we're all good. I'm cool with you, but Zippy and Card are staying ignored
    08-21-09 03:52 PM
    I stopped listening to Card Storm when I saw this quote,

Just wait till storm 2 comes out, and tell me how technologically advanced your iPhone is compared to the Odin then....its going to blow 3gs out of the water.....or in your case the fire.
    sure buddy..suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

technologically advanced? The Storm 2 will not have a proxmity censor. It wont have a ambient light sensor. It wont have auto detecting headphone ports. It wont have a digital compass (I know it's frivelous). It wont have any hardware acceleration in the graphics area. You STILL can't install apps to the memory card. Will it's OS take advantage of it's multi-touch? probably not considering it's not being utilized in the first gen Storm.

How technologically advanced do YOU think the Storm 2 will be? Surely no where near the 3GS.
    Last edited by sniffs; 08-21-09 at 04:01 PM.
    08-21-09 03:59 PM

technologically advanced? The Storm 2 will not have a proxmity censor. It wont have a ambient light sensor. It wont have auto detecting headphone ports. It wont have a digital compass (I know it's frivelous). It wont have any hardware acceleration in the graphics area. You STILL can't install apps to the memory card. Will it's OS take advantage of it's multi-touch? probably not considering it's not being utilized in the first gen Storm.

How technologically advanced do YOU think the Storm 2 will be? Surely no where near the 3GS.
    LMAO! cmon man...I was actually about to respond to you in a mature fasion but I just cant take your dillusional mindstate seriously right now. I have somewhere to be in 30 minutes so responding to translucent comments with intellegent feedback is not even secondary at this moment.

Catch up with your kind, then catch up with me
    08-21-09 04:05 PM

Carddy is just trying to get post count up. I just ignore the dude.
    08-21-09 04:09 PM
    You mentioned the Odin as being "technologically" superior to the 3GS. Prove it.
    08-21-09 04:09 PM
    Hahaha, I actually asked Card Storm the same question.

CS, I provided the corresponding websites as well as the correct numbers-

Why haven't you responded as you said you would?

This isn't the case.

Wrong again.

A properly working OS?

I do beleive that you we will see a working OS. Because the OS that im using now works....

Also, your percentages dont have articles with them...so I will sit out on that argument.

I will say that apple is imbedded in the minds of people even when they are kids. I remember when i was a kid the big thing was "macintosh computers" everyone wanted to use one. We always learned about them. Its not the cult following from the computers...its the cult following from the whole world who owned iPod shuffles, nanos, itouches, minis, +the computers that brung people in. They had already established their multimedia image in the consumer society WAY before the iPhone.

Im sorry, I was wrong, Q1 of 2009 is was almost 4%

Mac market share in Q1 2009 = 3.36 percent, Apple earnings strong - SuperSite Blog

4% American Shares-

8% Worldwide Shares-
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 08-21-09 at 04:14 PM.
    08-21-09 04:12 PM
292 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD