It's almost comical how others write more posts about the iPhone than their own device and then get upset and shout "troll" when someone craps on their device. Of course this is not everyone, but its a bunch of people that spend more time and research to do or say things about the iPhone. It's like a bunch of highschoolers that talk about the most popular person is school because they are upset they can't be them.

But anyway, it's the phone people love or love to hate. All the attention by lovers and haters alike is greatly appreciated by Apple. They just want us talking about it. The people that love it talk about it and the haters talk about it too.

At the end of the day, all the other devices will fade in the background while the Apple continues to gain market share and popularity. And the funny thing is the iPhone still has a lot of shortcomings. If a phone that still doesn't do everything is already putting it's mark on the world in two years, what will happen when it does everything that other device do?
    08-21-09 09:45 AM
    I love when people make a thread full that is incredibly biased. Fact: Rim has 52% of the market share, which is more than double that of Apple's which is 22.3%. No matter what the iphone does it will still be lacking until it gets a physical keyboard, multitasking, MMS, and tethering (without jailbreaking). Not saying its a bad phone, but Ive tried all 3 of them, and while its a fine phone, no way would I use it for business.

And the reason "its putting its mark on the world in 2 years" is because, unlike the WinMo and BB's of the world, the iPhone was directly marketed to the everyday consumer. While until recently the others were not.
    08-21-09 11:03 AM
    I dont know if anyone has heard of the popular trendy items and what happen to them over time.

Any product solely dedicated to the consumer market will ALWAYS make a big boom the first couple years of its existence, but then consumers want something knew, and move on to the next product. I dont think apples small cellular device success is going to stay like that. The phone isnt going to change much so in reality the iPhone becomes "outdated" when the next great technology comes out, and i think that the new surepress on s2 will be just that technology.

Until apple figures out their battery issues and over heating issues, I dont think they will be adding any further complexity to their devices any time soon.
    08-21-09 11:19 AM
    I'm looking at the iPhone line as a whole and I don't really see much new "innovation" since the introduction of the App Store. Just like the BB OS, the iPhone OS has pretty much been the same since it's birth.

The 3G only added a 3G radio and some minor improvements, none of which was "groundbreaking".

The 3GS added more features like MMS, tethering, voice control, and a magnometer. All these, save the magnometer, are things that it should have had in the first place. The compass app is really a gimmick.

The true innovation comes from the developers who make the apps that take advantage of the hardware. And that can go to any device.

While it's true that Apple currently holds the App King trophy, RIM is starting to catch up with App World and CB's very own App Store is booming. Andriod is starting to get a big following too. And MS has started filing for its OneApp Store, which is supposed to unify the XBox 360, WinMo, and the new Zune HD.

If the competition (espeically MS, since it already has the XBox and big-time game developers) takes the App Store concept away from Apple (by making it easier / better incentive for developers to make apps for their own system), what is there left of the iPhone that distinguishes it from the rest of the smartphones out there? Nothing. The consumer will see this and then move on to the next "hot" device.

I foresee Apple's iron fist over their App Store as their Archille's Heel. RIM and CB's App World / Store doesn't seem to care if a developer creates an app that does something better than the default BB app. As long as it's not too obscene or unethical, of course.
    08-21-09 11:39 AM
    I love when people make a thread full that is incredibly biased. Fact: Rim has 52% of the market share, which is more than double that of Apple's which is 22.3%. No matter what the iphone does it will still be lacking until it gets a physical keyboard, multitasking, MMS, and tethering (without jailbreaking). Not saying its a bad phone, but Ive tried all 3 of them, and while its a fine phone, no way would I use it for business.

And the reason "its putting its mark on the world in 2 years" is because, unlike the WinMo and BB's of the world, the iPhone was directly marketed to the everyday consumer. While until recently the others were not.
    Actually MMS is a AT&T shortcoming not iPhone. Other carriers are able to send and receive MMS. As for multitasking I'm guessing you mean running programs in the background. The native apps run in the background. 3rd party apps do not. It would be nice to have that, but I don't need it so it's ok for me. Also, wouldn't my phone to be to laggy and need to (if it had a removable battery) do regular battery pulls. And lacking because of not having a physical keyboard is subjective to the user. Go ask a Storm user if they rather have a Tour or a Storm. You might not prefer a touchscreen device but that doesn't mean that a physical QWERTY is needed.

Regardless of the reason it's putting it's mark on the world, that doesn't change the fact that it is. So that's good marketing that they were ahead of the curve while all the other smartphone makers we disregarding average consumers. Don't take it out on Apple because RIM and the other companies didn't take advantage of a changing consumer market.

And your numbers only refer to the US market. The global market is a bit different. We're talking about the iPhone, not the iPhone on AT&T.

Thank you for being an example of the original post.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-21-09 at 12:03 PM.
    08-21-09 11:49 AM
    Doesn't surprise me of some of the users that were quick to comment. Glad they are on my ignore list so I don't have to read garbage.
    08-21-09 12:05 PM
    I would like to add in the idea of "disruptive technology" to address your comment about the competition fading into the unkown. I'm sure you've heard this being thrown around in regards to the iPhone.

When the iPhone first came out it was indeed disruptive technology, as it was such a radical departure from the normal smartphones being offered at the time. But now with RIM's App World on the map, CB's App Store going full-bore, and MS filing to start their OneApp Store, the iPhone is quickly becoming "normal" technology.

Even if the iPhone is still growing in popularity, it will not completely dominate the market forever. When everything hits equilibrium, Apple will be ripe for the picking by another company to offer disruptive technology. And the cycle starts over again...

Doesn't surprise me of some of the users that were quick to comment. Glad they are on my ignore list so I don't have to read garbage.
    Plugging your ears and going "lalalalala" doesn't make what I have to say any less true.
    08-21-09 12:08 PM
    I'm sorry Zippy, can't see your posts. I block junk.
    08-21-09 12:09 PM
    Mods, I'd like a third party to come in here that's not on scorpiodsu's ignore list and judge whether or not my posts are "junk" and "garbage".
    08-21-09 12:14 PM
    Still can't see..... LOL. Thanks anyway
    08-21-09 12:19 PM
    IMO, the most amazing thing being produced by Apple is their marketing. Their PR machine is incredibly strong. They have made people feel like they need an iPhone or they are somehow missing out on something. Going from a dumb phone to an iPhone is an amazing experience, but from a BB or other SmartPhone to an iPhone, there isn't as much of an OMG factor.

IMO
    Mods, I'd like a third party to come in here that's not on scorpiodsu's ignore list and judge whether or not my posts are "junk" and "garbage".
    Chillax, Bro. He's just pushing your buttons, he obviously read your post...
    08-21-09 12:37 PM
    RIM has 52% of the market after 7(almost 8) years.

Apple has 22% after 2.

Do the math.
    08-21-09 12:40 PM
    Actually MMS is a AT&T shortcoming not iPhone. Other carriers are able to send and receiver MMS. As for multitasking I'm guessing you mean running programs in the background. The native apps run in the background. 3rd party apps do not. It would be nice to have that, but I don't need it so it's ok for me. Also, wouldn't my phone to be to laggy and need to (if it had a removable battery) do regular battery pulls. And lacking because of not having a physical keyboard is subjective to the user. Go ask a Storm user if they rather have a Tour or a Storm. You might not prefer a touchscreen device but that doesn't mean that a physical QWERTY is needed.

Regardless of the reason it's putting it's mark on the world, that doesn't change the fact that it is. So that's good marketing that they were ahead of the curve while all the other smartphone makers we disregarding average consumers. Don't take it out on Apple because RIM and the other companies didn't take advantage of a changing consumer market.

And your numbers only refer to the US market. The global market is a bit different. We're talking about the iPhone, not the iPhone on AT&T.

Yes their global market share is much smaller at 13.7% I dont know if you saw my previous numbers but RIM doesnt need to change, they still hold of a 52% marketshare...... As for your battery pull comment, Ive had my Tour since launch and have done 0 battery pulls and 0 soft resets. Actually thinking back Ive gone through more iPod touches than I did BB Storm's lol.
    08-21-09 12:43 PM
    I'm astounded by BlackBerry's popularity. If you peruse the iphone sites, users post about BBs more than we post about iphones. Also, where are the iphone users. In the past couple of years, I've seen a total of about 6-9 people with iphones. I see at least that many with BBs everyday.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 12:51 PM
    Actually MMS is a AT&T shortcoming not iPhone. Other carriers are able to send and receive MMS. As for multitasking I'm guessing you mean running programs in the background. The native apps run in the background. 3rd party apps do not. It would be nice to have that, but I don't need it so it's ok for me. Also, wouldn't my phone to be to laggy and need to (if it had a removable battery) do regular battery pulls. And lacking because of not having a physical keyboard is subjective to the user. Go ask a Storm user if they rather have a Tour or a Storm. You might not prefer a touchscreen device but that doesn't mean that a physical QWERTY is needed.

Is it fair to say that the iphone's lack of MMS is entirely the carriers problem. I've heard people say this before, but I'm not so sure. BBs have no problems with MMS. Therefore it can't be strictly an ATT problem, it has to be a problem on both sides I would guess.

08-21-09 12:55 PM
    If you have someone on ignore, a small box will pop up saying that they made a comment, but is hidden because you have them on ignore.

He didn't read a single thing I said. He's just here to pat himself on the back for getting an iPhone.

Technology changes, and Apple is not above it. The iPhone will be passed by an offering by its competitors in the future. No doubt about it.
    08-21-09 01:16 PM

Apple has 22% after 2.

Do the math.
    SO? The point is when a company has 52% of the market and is being labeled Fastest growing company in the world....where do you think that 52% market share is gonna go....definately not down.

Besides...Any New product especially with a cult following as apple and the marketing behind it being the first touch phone is going to automatically bring those numbers sky high...its not because its the best phone...its because thats what most people know. When people see my phone in its case they ask is that an iPhone? Its because it was the first touch phone and people who arent really into technology may not be as familiar with the Blackberry storm like the iPhone...If RIM wanted to go all out on marketing this phone they would have, but that wasnt their goal.

Point is apple isnt Brand New...Its one thing if apple was a brand new technology company and dominated the market, but they didnt have to work hard to get a cult following because they already had one!

Just wait till storm 2 comes out, and tell me how technologically advanced your iPhone is compared to the Odin then....its going to blow 3gs out of the water.....or in your case the fire.
    08-21-09 01:19 PM
    If you have someone on ignore, a small box will pop up saying that they made a comment, but is hidden because you have them on ignore.

He didn't read a single thing I said. He's just here to pat himself on the back for getting an iPhone.
    Yes, but there's also a link to "View Post".
    08-21-09 01:22 PM
    Is it fair to say that the iphone's lack of MMS is entirely the carriers problem. I've heard people say this before, but I'm not so sure. BBs have no problems with MMS. Therefore it can't be strictly an ATT problem, it has to be a problem on both sides I would guess.

Right now, the ball is in AT&T court to add the functionality to everyone's account that has an iPhone so........ As previously stated, MMS can be used on other carriers without jailbreaking.
    08-21-09 01:25 PM
    Yes, but there's also a link to "View Post".
    So why would you put someone on ignore then respond....what is the point? Thats kind of mental if you ask me.

Anyways to restructure this thread before it get too hijacked by those who want to make this about "them"

The iPhone is a good phone. But it simply isnt enough to keep ALL consumers happy....theres something more advanced that Blackberry has to offer other than a good name. How do you think their name got to be that good anyways?

The iPhone will eventually be washed away in the tide of technology because of its lack of efficient hardware developement. When it comes down to it hardware is the basis of the device. With out certain hardwares you wont be able to run certain softwares. The fact that the newer devices that RIM are coming out with have the hardware features they posess is merely stunning. Pair that with a 5.0 OS that runs great and thats all consumers are really asking for.

WAY more people would have had the Blackberry Storm if the OS released better.

Many consumers wouldnt mind the style of the storms OS if it had worked efficiently from the start.

I read somewhere that apple was labeled Most stagnant company in the world.

again, that is just something I read dont hop on my case.
    08-21-09 01:28 PM
    I'm astounded by BlackBerry's popularity. If you peruse the iphone sites, users post about BBs more than we post about iphones. Also, where are the iphone users. In the past couple of years, I've seen a total of about 6-9 people with iphones. I see at least that many with BBs everyday.

Aren't we glad that everything isn't limited to your little circle of people you come in contact with. Hmmmmmm since the iPhone is only on 1 carrier in the US, it's more likely that you will see more blackberrys since they have been out longer, are good devices and are on every carrier. Please think logically. It's like when someone is comparing the number of curves sold nationwide vs the number the iPhones sold. If you took a curve from ONE carrier and compared it to the sales of an iPhones then that makes more sense.

Also, no one said blackberries are not popular. But since this is an iPhone forum, I'd thought I start a post about it and not a post about a blackberry. Thank your for irrelevant input.
    08-21-09 01:30 PM
    IMO, the most amazing thing being produced by Apple is their marketing. Their PR machine is incredibly strong. They have made people feel like they need an iPhone or they are somehow missing out on something. Going from a dumb phone to an iPhone is an amazing experience, but from a BB or other SmartPhone to an iPhone, there isn't as much of an OMG factor.

IMO

Yeah I am pressing his buttons and I am not reading his posts. I don't read junk. They're all blocked but I can that he posted just not what he posted. It's hilarious. Good ole Zippy.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-21-09 at 01:36 PM.
    08-21-09 01:32 PM
    Aren't we glad that everything isn't limited to your little circle of people you come in contact with. Hmmmmmm since the iPhone is only on 1 carrier in the US, it's more likely that you will see more blackberrys since they have been out longer, are good devices and are on every carrier. Please think logically. It's like when someone is comparing the number of curves sold nationwide vs the number the iPhones sold. If you took a curve from ONE carrier and compared it to the sales of an iPhones then that makes more sense.

Also, no one said blackberries are not popular. But since this is an iPhone forum, I'd thought I start a post about it and not a post about a blackberry. Thank your for irrelevant input.
    Look how long apple computers have been out and I barely see any of those...lol
    08-21-09 01:34 PM
    SO? The point is when a company has 52% of the market and is being labeled Fastest growing company in the world....where do you think that 52% market share is gonna go....definately not down.

Besides...Any New product especially with a cult following as apple and the marketing behind it being the first touch phone is going to automatically bring those numbers sky high...its not because its the best phone...its because thats what most people know. When people see my phone in its case they ask is that an iPhone? Its because it was the first touch phone and people who arent really into technology may not be as familiar with the Blackberry storm like the iPhone...If RIM wanted to go all out on marketing this phone they would have, but that wasnt their goal.

Point is apple isnt Brand New...Its one thing if apple was a brand new technology company and dominated the market, but they didnt have to work hard to get a cult following because they already had one!

Just wait till storm 2 comes out, and tell me how technologically advanced your iPhone is compared to the Odin then....its going to blow 3gs out of the water.....or in your case the fire.
    This is acutally a very good point. The iPhone was piggy-backing its popularity off of the iPod. RIM has always been making BBs, so a new smartphone from them won't get as much "gasp! really?!" out of the consumer body. A company that made desktop and laptop for the vast majority of its life releasing something out of its norm is going to get that notice.

As for the ads, I've seen a few iPhone ads here and there and it's all the same thing. Frankly, they're starting to bore me when I see them. "Be your own tour guide in Paris" "Flick photos to your friend's iPhone" "Exchange contact information by flicking your iPhones at each other".

That's all well and good, but you're not really showing off the iPhone as much as the app the developer made. Again, back to my comment on the apps being the real innovations. Substitute a BB Storm (1 or 2) for the iPhone and the ad would be just as affective to RIM.

But I do like Sprint's numbers ads. And how they attack the iPhone based on its major weakness, AT&T. Save $1,200 per year over the same plan on AT&T! Enough savings for all Sprint's Palm Pre users to build a Starbucks..................IN SPACE!
    08-21-09 01:34 PM

Apple has 22% after 2.

Do the math.
    Exactly. 2 years and a new model each year on 1 carrier in the US. Rim 8 years and a new model each month on every carrier. People want to live in denial because it doesn't support their feelings. I am aware of people like that, which is why they get blocked asap.
    08-21-09 01:35 PM
292 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD