iPhone owners very loyal, BlackBerry not so much
    By Om Malik Sep. 22, 2011, 6:48am PT No Comments

Apple has an 89 percent retention rate, according to a survey conducted by UBS Research. The research firm polled 515 smartphone owners on what phones they own and their next likely smartphone purchase. While the sample size is very small, it does give us a view into broader trends in the smartphone market. (Graph/Slides @ link)

In general, retention rates appear to be falling for most of the OEMs. Relatively, Apple�s retention rates have held up incredibly well even as its market share has risen. Interestingly, when we look at all consumers who are considering changing handset OEM provider, Apple remains a significant net beneficiary. Alongside Apple, only Samsung and HTC also appear as net beneficiaries (more users won than users lost). Interestingly, of our respondents who are current Apple subscribers, only 6% indicated that they intended to move to a different OEM, with 4% saying they were undecided. This suggests that the retention rate for Apple could end up being as high as 93%. [UBS Research]

RIM has seen its retention rate drop from 62 percent to 33 percent over past 18 months, when UBS conducted a similar survey in March 2010. In comparison to Apple, Android (ecosystem-wide) has a retention of 55 percent and HTC has a retention rate of about 39 percent. Samsung has a retention rate of 28 percent. Nokia, which had an implied retention rate of 42 percent, has seen it drop to 24 percent. Ouch!

iPhone owners very loyal, BlackBerry not so much — Apple News, Tips and Reviews
    i7guy likes this.
    09-22-11 09:12 AM
    First things first: that's a extremely small sample size compared to the number of smartphone owners out there and should be taken lightly (500ish out of millions of smartphone owners is way too small to have any meaningful confidence intervals or to account for 90% variance).

Anyway, to the data:

I rather have seen OS retention rates than specific manufactures (especially to see how Windows Mobile is holding up). Only RIM and Apple have a closed ecosystem in the regards of making their own OS and phones; someone might be more likely (for instance) to switch from a HTC Sensation to a Samsung Galaxy II S because of the upgraded features (but still maintain Android).

Anyway, their data (however limited) is interesting. I think that in terms of RIM that not releasing any new phones for a year (August 2010 for the Torch 9800 to OS7 devices in August 2011) hurt them as many manufactures push out new phones a lot quicker than that. This is especially true for RIM who make multiple phones for multiple demographics. For RIM, hopefully QNX phones will help them regain loyalty within their customer base (but interestingly enough their customer base is growing pretty well).

For Android manufactures, I think perhaps based on the amount of Android based phones that come out weekly, it shows these buyers might be willing to stay within the ecosystem, but are more willing to get the latest and newest phone regardless of the maker. When you have this many choices, it makes sense for ecosystem, not brand, loyalty.

Apple's numbers did drop by 6% as well, but of course is very high. Ultimately, I think that people who use the iPhone are happy with their purchase (and more willing to stick with Apple in the future) alongside of the fact of a strong, closed ecosystem. Very difficult to switch when all your applications bought are Apple-only. Within Android, at least you can swap brands a lot easier. BlackBerry I think would have stronger loyalty if they had a stronger closed ecosystem (essentially make it costly and not worthwhile to switch away). Unfortunately, their only trump card is BBM/Security on the consumer side (not applications), which makes the retention rate a little lower.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the matter. Personally, I advocate a person to try all types of phones and OS before making a decision to get the one best for their needs. Probably why if you look at what I own (computer/phone/tablet wise), I don't really have loyalties to any company...
    09-22-11 01:51 PM
    That's strange. My stores activate/sell close to a thousand phones/lines per month and I can tell you the BB gang is THE most loyal. I personally love BB and iOS so save the flames. But the facts are the facts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-11 08:24 PM
    That's strange. My stores activate/sell close to a thousand phones/lines per month and I can tell you the BB gang is THE most loyal. I personally love BB and iOS so save the flames. But the facts are the facts.

Yeah, like I said, part of the issue is small sample size. The other issue is where they are sampling from. I commend them for trying to cover the world's smartphone userbase, but I don't think it was a smart move, considering how even state by state top cell phone use and loyalty differs between brands. 118 people in the US does not represent the tens of millions of smartphone users, not by any statistical measurement.

Again, this is just a media grab and nothing more; I'd like to see them due multiple larger survey across different continents, and then compare continents separate.
    09-22-11 08:33 PM
    You're a bb fan boy though ted you will always be pro bb that whole I love iOS too wont win you any validity just giving my opinion. Its nothing wrong with being pro blackberry, but I know your posting trends all to well to take you seriously on this one.

As far as the poll goes I agree with the first response add about 1000 more people and I might look twice at this survey. You wont need a survey though to see who's being loyal to their operating systems just look at sales it's a dead give away.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 09-22-11 at 08:49 PM.
    09-22-11 08:39 PM
    My own "research" on the subject shows very interesting "interpretation".

iPhone users, especially the ones who will not move to other system/platform no matter of what, my "study" shows are first time smartphone users. They simply believe iPhone is the best (because somebody says so) and thats it.

On Android and Windows Phone the picture is different. Much more users (many have tryed iPhone and moved, me as well) with "history" of smart phone usage, and maybe more exploratory oriented.

BB, still trying to figure it out
    09-22-11 10:03 PM

iPhone users, especially the ones who will not move to other system/platform no matter of what, my "study" shows are first time smartphone users. They simply believe iPhone is the best (because somebody says so) and thats it.

On Android and Windows Phone the picture is different. Much more users (many have tryed iPhone and moved, me as well) with "history" of smart phone usage, and maybe more exploratory oriented.

Or... they tried it and figured that it is the best for them on their own? I know it is trendy to believe that smartphone users on other platforms are somehow deficient in brain power, but it is getting a bit ridiculous.

For the record, I do think that iOS has loyal customers, but I think it is because Apple keeps them that way by producing relatively enviable product.
    Accidental Post likes this.
    09-22-11 10:18 PM
    Loyal iPhone users don't know how to operate any other brand of smartphone...
    BergerKing and kbz1960 like this.
    09-22-11 10:40 PM
    Very ignorant comment.

lssanjose and gmz73 like this.
    09-22-11 10:46 PM
    Very ignorant comment.

Likewise....
    09-22-11 11:29 PM
    Wow. I guess all those now loyal iPhone users who left other platforms have clue how to operate any other brand of smartphone, including the ones they left so they can use the iPhone. Becoming an iPhone user must also cause short term memory loss...

Interesting logic.
    principal likes this.
    09-22-11 11:57 PM
    Actually loyal iPhone users have been there done that and got quite sick of waiting for improvements.......go enjoy some battery pulls and truncated email.

Let's see how can I back up my statement?

BB's owned 77xx, 8330, 8830, 9630, 9530, 9650

Droids owned OG droid, Incredible, Fascinate, Droid X

iPhones owned 3gs IP4

yeah your right I don't know how to use another smartphone.

If ignorance is bliss you ought to be in heaven.......

And ask me why I switched? The list is long.

Starting with VPN, RDP and accessing my servers on the move.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 09-23-11 at 07:13 AM.
    pilsbury likes this.
    09-23-11 07:10 AM
    ^^^^ I may not like the iphone, but I agree the comment was derisive.
    09-23-11 09:30 AM

Um...k? Of the smartphone people I know (by my count 14), all started on BB. 3 are still on BB 3 years later. 3 of us are onto iPhone (two of that having used Android in between that move to iPhone), 4 are onto Android and still there, and 3 are onto Palm or have gone back to non smartphones.

I myself have used all of the OS's (as has my husband) and are on iPhone, likely to stay (we are both more than happy). I augmented with a Touchpad because my second favorite OS is WebOS.

I wouldn't call iPhone users stupid or uneducated - we have just found it works best for us. Just saying.

As far as satisfaction - we sell a lot of smartphones in our store. Of them we get a lot of people coming in for assistance (whether they bought from us or not) with Android and BB. We have been seeing a LOT of BB's (particularly Curves and Bolds around a year old) that are having screen and touchpad/keyboard failure and needing to be sent for repair. The Android users are usually frustrated with trying to figure out how to get something on the phone (I always include the URL for androidcentral on my business card when I sell an Android phone to try to assist with this, it's usually not my activations that have the questions because I go over everything with them having had a device before - the rest of the team have BBs). In the last month I have activated 13 iPhones and none of the users have come back in for help with the phone, but have come back for cases

It's been interesting for me to see the real time customer experiences with the phones...
    lssanjose likes this.
    09-23-11 04:43 PM
    I sure hope I am smart enough to type out the following:

Device history

1) BB Pearl 8130 - hybrid OS loaded by ignorant stupid me to help it run properly
    2) BB Curve 8330 - hybrid OS loaded by ignorant stupid me to help it run properly
    3) BB Storm 9530 - OS debloated by ignorant stupid me to free space
    4) Palm Pre - no tweaks other than Govnah loaded by ignorant stupid me
    5) Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant - rooted, custom ROM loaded by ignorant, too stupid to use other phones me
    *pause to wipe drool off my stupid chin*
    6) HTC Desire Z - not rooted or hacked as didn't feel Sense needed it (but what do I know, I'm too stupid to use other devices)
    7) Back to Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
    8) iPhone 4 - jailbroken and customizations used for about a week and then returned to stock as I was happy with how it ran out of the box, my next phone will be an Apple product as well as they just work.

PLUS

9) Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 - rooted and custom rommed by stupid ol' me
    10) HP Touchpad - govnah overclock and some patches applied (sure hope I did that right since as an iPhone owner I'm too stupid to use other phones or devices)

In summary:

You're an *****.
    LazyStarGazer, howarmat and gmz73 like this.
    09-23-11 05:01 PM
    Yeah, it's rocket science using a BB, and waiting 5 minutes for your phone to reboot.
    mrsadkins9399 likes this.
    09-23-11 06:52 PM
    Haahahaha that was a fun read, thanks!

I sure hope I am smart enough to type out the following:

Device history

1) BB Pearl 8130 - hybrid OS loaded by ignorant stupid me to help it run properly
    2) BB Curve 8330 - hybrid OS loaded by ignorant stupid me to help it run properly
    3) BB Storm 9530 - OS debloated by ignorant stupid me to free space
    4) Palm Pre - no tweaks other than Govnah loaded by ignorant stupid me
    5) Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant - rooted, custom ROM loaded by ignorant, too stupid to use other phones me
    *pause to wipe drool off my stupid chin*
    6) HTC Desire Z - not rooted or hacked as didn't feel Sense needed it (but what do I know, I'm too stupid to use other devices)
    7) Back to Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant
    8) iPhone 4 - jailbroken and customizations used for about a week and then returned to stock as I was happy with how it ran out of the box, my next phone will be an Apple product as well as they just work.

PLUS

9) Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 - rooted and custom rommed by stupid ol' me
    10) HP Touchpad - govnah overclock and some patches applied (sure hope I did that right since as an iPhone owner I'm too stupid to use other phones or devices)

In summary:

You're an *****.
    09-23-11 07:38 PM
    Yeah, it's rocket science using a BB, and waiting 5 minutes for your phone to reboot.
    +1, 5 minutes is actually pretty damn fast for a 9550. More like ~10 minutes for me.
    09-23-11 07:40 PM
    You're a bb fan boy though ted you will always be pro bb that whole I love iOS too wont win you any validity just giving my opinion. Its nothing wrong with being pro blackberry, but I know your posting trends all to well to take you seriously on this one.

As far as the poll goes I agree with the first response add about 1000 more people and I might look twice at this survey. You wont need a survey though to see who's being loyal to their operating systems just look at sales it's a dead give away.

Brandon, If you know my posting trends then you know what I do. That being said-- I'm surrounded by phones.... manufacturers literally throw them at me. And even though I AM partial to BB... the "I love iOS" isn't said for the sake of saying it. I do love iOS. Look far back enough and you'll see me getting flamed by our BB brothers for praising iPhone. lol
    I have about fifty people working in my stores-- average age about 24. I'm 42 and no one is a bigger baby than me when it comes to phones. I love em all. BTW... as with all new releases.... I'll be playing with my iphpne5 (or 4S if it's called that) a couple of days before everyone else. :-).

09-23-11 11:31 PM

That's not the case for all iPhone users. I was a BB user for about 3 years before I switched. The iPhone fit my needs better.
    09-24-11 01:08 AM

Oooooooh! Moronic comments! I used to play this back in grade school too!

"Blackberry users delude themselves that using a BB makes them look important".

Can we try being a little more mature now?
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 09-24-11 at 11:16 AM.
    09-24-11 11:08 AM
    Haha thanks for the laughs everyone! You loyal iPhone users sure do love defending your beloved iToy on the webs number 1 BlackBerry site. If you're all so loyal then WTF you doing here? Doesn't sound so loyal to me...

BTW, my 9930 boots up in under a minute

09-24-11 06:00 PM
    We have the same phone. As you notice I don't have an iPhone we all just wanted to point out your apparent ignorance. Now that we know you were blatantly trolling it makes more sense. Some people grow up but don't forget childish things your a prime example.

09-24-11 06:08 PM
    I do find it ironic that captain iToy behaved like a 6 year old and others, well, didn't.

And he blatantly admitted to trolling, so he's pretty much useless as a contributing member of the site.

Good to know.

As far as why we're here? Most of us started on a BB. That's why. Why are you trolling in the iPhone subforum provided by the CB owners, oh wise one? Also, since you apparently feel you can tell people if they are allowed to post here, I'm sure Kevin appreciates all your hard work on staff, ridesno159. You must be an owner or staff since you have the power to dictate who is permitted to post in the iPhone subforum, right?

Right?

*crickets*
    Last edited by reeneebob; 09-24-11 at 09:26 PM.
    09-24-11 09:21 PM
    I respect the iPhone, for its out of the box, stability (for the most part [I've heard others needed to bring their units into the Apple store because of lockups])

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-24-11 10:04 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD