Well, it's pretty much obvious by now that Apple has no intention of not playing in the Enterprise email field. Say goodby to limitations of the past. Multiple Exchange Account support, merged inboxes (not that this was needed, but still), and expansion of more security protocols for ActiveSync. Just what I've been waiting for... Now, the long awaited need... for it to come to Verizon.

Last but no least, Multitasking APIs are also being implemented (apps will need to be recoded for this to work properly).

RIM should definitely watch their heels on this one. With these changes, more and more companies will allow users to use an iPhone. Their security mentality will be "If we can secure a WinMo device or a user, we can secure an iPhone... let them use it, it's fine by us."

Email
    And just like that, iPhone OS 4.0 has brought the iPhone�s email capabilities into the bright and shiny world of 2006. No longer will users be forced to suffer the indignity of checking each of their inboxes individually, as global inboxes are now a part of Apple�s vision for the iPhone� as is thee ability to sort emails by threads and open attachments in specific apps.

Enterprise
    People that use their iPhone for both work and pleasure are likely jumping for joy this afternoon as iPhone OS 4.0 supports multiple Exchange accounts. Not only that, but Apple has moved beyond the year 2007 and now supports Exchange Server 2010. Last but not least, data protection has received a much needed shot in the arm with: mobile device management, wireless ad-hoc app distribution, and SSL VPN support.
    04-08-10 02:07 PM

Last but no least, Multitasking APIs are also being implemented (apps will need to be recoded for this to work properly).
    They made it seem like this will not be a huge problem. They said Pandora was fixed in one day to work with the new APIs.

Will be interested to see how many companies will allow people to use iPhones. Want to see how far Apple will go into the corporate market.
    04-08-10 02:35 PM
    To me today's presentation proved one thing. In the three years that Apple has
    put itself in the smartphone game, they have delivered when the pressure is put
    on them. Not necessarily by consumers, but when other platforms begin to give
    consumers their wants and needs. I swear to you I still think had Android not
    existed and the Droid had not come out not that long ago, Apple wasn't going to
    implement multi-tasking. The ones that were moaning about that the most were
    Blackberry users. But with their market share increasing in North America, I'm sure
    they've recognized that they need to go heads up with other platforms. Because a
    year ago at this time there wasn't nearly as much to compete with as there is now.

This is the last thing RIM needed. But as a consumer it's going to be fun to sit back
    and watch and see if RIM goes out with guns a blazin'. Multiple exchange accounts
    finally. You know how many loyal Blackberry users will be gone now?

In a side note, I love how Jobs admits he was wrong on some things. MMS, copy and paste,
    and now multi-tasking. When does RIM ever admit a mistake?
    04-08-10 02:38 PM
    ...Now, the long awaited need... for it to come to Verizon.
    ...waiting patiently...

NE2 is up in July but I can wait until the end of the year if need be.

The multi-tasking did it for me.
    04-08-10 03:00 PM
    i don't see a huge corporate swing coming out of this from swapping employees from BB's to Iphones. Especially in any govt contracting corporations. Unless they dev an Iphone without a camera you'll never find one being used for work on a military installation.
    04-08-10 03:00 PM
    They made it seem like this will not be a huge problem. They said Pandora was fixed in one day to work with the new APIs.

Will be interested to see how many companies will allow people to use iPhones. Want to see how far Apple will go into the corporate market.
    I never said it was going to be difficult, but I knew some BB fanboys would call it out if I didn't depict that little detail. lol So, I played it safe and covered it ahead of time. I'm hoping VZW gets the iPhone as that'll really launch their handset into the corporate market by a lot. Most corporate contracts tend to be through VZW for some larger firms and even small ones that depend upon being able to reach their workers regardless of where they are at.

In a side note, I love how Jobs admits he was wrong on some things. MMS, copy and paste,
    and now multi-tasking. When does RIM ever admit a mistake?
    RIM won't even admit it when their NOC goes down. lol
    04-08-10 03:01 PM
    i don't see a huge corporate swing coming out of this from swapping employees from BB's to Iphones. Especially in any govt contracting corporations. Unless they dev an Iphone without a camera you'll never find one being used for work on a military installation.
    No one cares about what the military will do. Private firms is where the majority of the shift will come from. RIM can keep the other sheep if they need to and when their NOC continues to fail and go down year after year, we'll see just how reliable those military communications remain.
    04-08-10 03:03 PM
    So its finally revealed that Civic is and always has been an iPhone FanGirl in disguise. SHOCKER!!!!!!!
    04-08-10 03:03 PM
    No one cares about what the military will do. Private firms is where the majority of the shift will come from. RIM can keep the other sheep if they need to and when their NOC continues to fail and go down year after year, we'll see just how reliable those military communications remain.
    The mongering continues.....
    04-08-10 03:07 PM
    SHOCKER, people like the iphone is the....wait for it....APPLE SECTION!

If you dont like it why, other than trolling, are you even here?

And the military IS looking at iphones for soldiers and what not, did you miss the news a few weeks back. google US military iphone and youll get PLENTY of stories.
    04-08-10 03:07 PM
    I like the new stuff but push notifications are still clunky. To me AT&T and battery life remain deal breakers.

I think it will be a good year for both RIM and Apple. What's interesting is that both make Android seem directionless.
    04-08-10 03:08 PM
    so your saying companies like northrup grumman, lockheed martin, boeing, and any of the other huge companies that has a govt contract aren't that significant?
    04-08-10 03:08 PM
    don't get me wrong if the Iphone ever makes it to VZW i will definitely be interested. I just don't see a lot of companies swapping to Iphones, for one thing i'm sure productivity will go down the drain with everyone listening to music and playing games.
    04-08-10 03:10 PM
    so your saying companies like northrup grumman, lockheed martin, boeing, and any of the other huge companies that has a govt contract aren't that significant?
    don't get me wrong if the Iphone ever makes it to VZW i will definitely be interested. I just don't see a lot of companies swapping to Iphones, for one thing i'm sure productivity will go down the drain with everyone listening to music and playing games.
    Think small to medium businesses... Ya know, the ones that can still call their own shots at the user level without having to worry about the IT Nazis too much. For several of my clients, a lot of them wanted these new features, and honestly even I was waiting on a platform besides BB to support multiple Exchange accounts without a text editing hack to make it work. This just paves the road much easier.

And I'm not an Apple fangirl, far from it, but for some features/capabilities the Apple and Android platforms are much better at it then Blackberry. It used to be said that each platform has it's own positives and negatives, but it seems as of late that every other platform except for RIM is moving in the direction of minimizing those negatives and replacing them with "can do" positives.

The iPhone was definitely not Enterprise ready when it came out. OS2.0 added ActiveSync and let small to medium businesses incorporate the device into their email network without issues. OS3 expanded a little upon being able to manipulate text and input a bit better on the iPhone, and OS4 finally brings more advanced features like multitasking and multi-corporate email account support... something that more advanced users have been asking/waiting for.

Honestly, out of all the capabilities listed, I think the multitasking bit is the only thing that might not happen on the exisiting 3GS models. I'm thinking that Apple wants the new A4 proc to suppor this only, but who knows. The other stuff (like multiple corporate account support) will most definitely be supported on the earlier iPhone models... there's no hardware reason not to, it's just software changes... heck, like I said, I could do it now with a Jailbroken iPhone.
    04-08-10 03:22 PM
    I believe the multi-tasking is going to be able to be implemented on only the 3GS
    and the third generation iPod touch. Anything besides that, not at all.

iPad will have the capability as well.
    04-08-10 03:32 PM
    I believe the multi-tasking is going to be able to be implemented on only the 3GS
    and the third generation iPod touch. Anything besides that, not at all.

iPad will have the capability as well.
    You're correct, I just read that 2 minutes ago as well. So, there you have it, I wasn't too far off on that. lol I still think the other stuff will be supported on the other models as well, since it's just software changes.
    04-08-10 03:54 PM
    Wow, Apple is now banning any other language and development tools other than its own for iPhone development

That means all the recent tools like Adobe Flash CS5 that let developers build iPhone apps in Flash but still build them as Objective C apps are now prohibited. Also applies to PhoneGap, Titanium and MonoTouch.

The motivation here is to disallow any sort of generic tools that cross-compile apps to competing platforms. This means iPhone app first and only for many developers who don't have the resources to develop a separate app for each platform.

Apple has become so brazen it now makes Microsoft look tame. This is unprecedented.
    04-08-10 03:56 PM
    To me AT&T and battery life remain deal breakers.
    You totally missed the boat there. Since when does an OS being revealed dictate the new unrevealed hardware battery life?
    04-08-10 04:14 PM
    Wow, Apple is now banning any other language and development tools other than its own for iPhone development

That means all the recent tools like Adobe Flash CS5 that let developers build iPhone apps in Flash but still build them as Objective C apps are now prohibited. Also applies to PhoneGap, Titanium and MonoTouch.

The motivation here is to disallow any sort of generic tools that cross-compile apps to competing platforms. This means iPhone app first and only for many developers who don't have the resources to develop a separate app for each platform.

Apple has become so brazen it now makes Microsoft look tame. This is unprecedented.
    Very few Apple devs care about using CS5 to develop. Apple gives good enough dev tools that its not really even needed. Was more of a convenience than anything to cross-develop for other platforms, not a necessity. It wont scare many if any devs away
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-08-10 at 04:19 PM.
    04-08-10 04:16 PM
    You totally missed the boat there. Since when does an OS being revealed dictate the new unrevealed hardware battery life?
    Can you say something a little more interesting? Seriously, I opened an email for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 04:17 PM
    Can you say something a little more interesting? Seriously, I opened an email for you.

Then why make an ignorant comment about battery life when an OS was revealed? When the new hardware is revealed then youll know the answers about a bigger battery or what they do with the battery. It has no correlation to the 4.0 OS, the topic of this thread.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 04-08-10 at 04:23 PM.
    04-08-10 04:20 PM
    Very few Apple devs care about using CS5 to develop. Apple gives good enough dev tools that its not really even needed. Was more of a convenience than anything, not a necessity.
    Sigh. It's precisely affecting those that want to deploy apps to more platforms. Now a developer must develop for the iPhone and then port it to other devices. These tools are meant to ease writing cross platform apps, as well as provide more advanced languages like C#.

04-08-10 04:22 PM
    Back on the 4.0 OS TOPIC

OP, dont forget a lot of the 4.0 features probably wont be revealed until the new phone release. They probably dont want to give out hints of what the new phone will be hardware-wise (like video chat or something of the sorts).
    04-08-10 04:24 PM
    Then why make an ignorant comment about battery life when an OS was revealed? When the new hardware is revealed then youll know the answers about a bigger battery or what they do with the battery. It has no correlation to the 4.0 OS, the topic of this thread.
    What's ignorant about it? I said I like the new changes. For some people these are enough to consider the iPhone. I explained why they are not for me.

It's not my ignorance, it's your rabid fanboism.

04-08-10 04:25 PM
    Look who's talking, who simply comes here to b*tch and b*tch about Apple ranting off-topic?

Changes such as battery life are HARDWARE what is so hard to understand about that? The OS doesnt increase the mah of the battery, ALL today entailed was the software. Hardware will be revealed in June.
    04-08-10 04:27 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD