There really is only one thing holding me back from the iphone and that's the lack of bbm!! I have about 60 contacts, all whom I talk to regularly. Some are even in other countries. What can I do? Is this even a good reason to stick with a bb? I want an iphone!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 11:24 AM
    I've never missed bbm but it's up to you
    10-19-09 11:39 AM
    If they have bbm, that means they have a data plan. You can always IM them. There are lots of free apps out there.
    10-19-09 11:41 AM
    While none compare to bbm, there are tons of alternatives.
    Beejive and Ping! To name a few.
    10-19-09 11:53 AM
    yahoo messenger, aol, and what has been mentioned above. BBM is cool, but i wouldnt keep a blackberry for that reason alone.
    10-19-09 03:30 PM
    Only you can decide on what phone to pick. As everyone has stated, there are a lot of IM programs, you have to decide where to go from here. Does it mean switching networks, expense of the phone, etc., etc. Make sure you will be happy because it can be expensive to either get out of a contract or to buy a new phone if you aren't happy with what you get. Decisions, decisions....
    10-19-09 03:47 PM
    Don't the IM apps lack push capabilities on the iphone since the app cant run in the background? Just curious cause I just got a touch and still trying to figure everything out.
    10-19-09 03:52 PM
    I'm a four year BB user, I don't miss BBM on my iPhone. If you have unlimited texting it doesn't really matter. I also use Twitter a lot so many of the people I talk with we speak through Twitter
    10-19-09 04:40 PM
    I thought that I'd miss BBM quite a bit... and a part of me still does only because I felt a part of a community... Meaning, we all had Blackberries.

Most Blackberry owners who do IM, I've learned, also use another client for their non-BB friends. So finding them on Yahoo, AIM or G-Talk has been easy enough.

I've tried a number of free IM Apps... Yahoo, IM+ and Ping! are free IM clients that have PUSH so you'll get messages 24/7.

However, after trying a number of different IM apps, I finally bit the bullet and spent $10 on Beejive and couldn't be happier. It allows me to keep in touch with my Yahoo, G-Chat and Facebook friends all at once, all on the same app. Check it out at Beejive - instant messaging anywhere
    10-19-09 05:02 PM
    Don't the IM apps lack push capabilities on the iphone since the app cant run in the background? Just curious cause I just got a touch and still trying to figure everything out.
    the app doesnt run on the phone in the background, but you stay logged into the server, so thats how you get them. at least thats my understanding, all i know is that it just works! LOL
    10-19-09 10:26 PM
    meh. im still torn. it really is a big deal because everyone i know either has a bb or is getting one lol. only one guy has an iphone and he wants his bold back.
    10-19-09 10:57 PM
    However, after trying a number of different IM apps, I finally bit the bullet and spent $10 on Beejive and couldn't be happier. It allows me to keep in touch with my Yahoo, G-Chat and Facebook friends all at once, all on the same app. Check it out at Beejive - instant messaging anywhere
    I paid $16, so I bit the bullet... you just had a bite out of a nice warm apple pie
    10-19-09 11:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD