THIS IS NOT FROM ME!!!!!
    Source: my.nowpublic.com
    Ping! iPhone App: Blackberry Ain't Got Nothin' on Apple Anymore | NowPublic News Coverage
    Sorry Research In Motion, but the Blackberry ain't got nothin' on the Apple iPhone anymore. Ping!, a new app available for the iPhone is the equivalent to the much-loved Blackberry Messenger (BBM). Made by the guy behind PushGmail, Ping! is a fast and free SMS like service that notifies the user of incoming messages even when his or her iPhone is inactive.

What is Ping!

Ping! is iphone-to-iphone messaging that also works with the iPod Touch. Ping! works with push notifications so that messages can be delivered ANYWHERE in the world, instantly. The experience is simple and familiar (resembles SMS!) but does not incur additional carrier charges, like text messaging would.

Ping! is like Blackberry Messenger/BBM!

Ping! is similar to BBM in that you can message other iPhones and iPod Touches quickly and easily without text messaging costs. Ping! is intended for your friends and works only when you have your friend's Ping! ID to start messaging.
    Last edited by theanswer3; 10-02-09 at 06:26 PM.
    10-02-09 12:50 PM
    I use this.

The push notifications (badges) work perfectly. Awesome app.

Too bad I'm ditching the entire phone for a BlackBerry soon.
    10-02-09 12:52 PM
    Sorry Research In Motion, but the Blackberry ain't got nothin' on the Apple iPhone anymore.
    Um BES?

10char
    10-02-09 01:03 PM
    Why was this moved. This is blackberry news, as blackberry messenger was a feature that differentiates the 2 devices. This closes the gap and now one more thing is similar. SO it does apply to blackberries becasue one of the defining features is now gone.
    Last edited by theanswer3; 10-02-09 at 02:15 PM.
    10-02-09 01:03 PM
    Um BES?

10char
    What does BES have to do with a messaging client?
    10-02-09 01:14 PM
    So, kinda like msn messenger, aol Im, yahoo Im, google talk, etc? I don't see this as a deal breaker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 04:58 PM
    Why was this moved. This is blackberry news, as blackberry messenger was a feature that differentiates the 2 devices. This closes the gap and now one more thing is similar. SO it does apply to blackberries becasue one of the defining features is now gone.
    BBM is a feature disignated to the blackberry, but was never considered a selling point. People dont buy blackberrys for BBM.....

lol.

Difining features of a BB are push email, multi-tasking, and security. Then maybe the gap will close if iPhone can accomplish that, but simply having a third party messaging service is not taking away from a defining feature of the blackberry.
    10-02-09 05:05 PM
    Iphones have no flash, can't remove the battery, limited multitasking, landscape mode in limited applications, can't create folders, no LED notification, poor reception, I have 2 shortcut keys I can set to 6 different applications, I can use the volume to toggle between tracks on the MP3 player instead of having to pull the phone out of my pocket to change songs, I have a mute key which is very handy, way more customizeable OS wide, True push notification, etc. just to name a few....
    I think those are more of a deal breaker than BBM ever would be. Sorry bro good luck with your BBM knock off.
    10-02-09 05:35 PM
    BBM is a feature disignated to the blackberry, but was never considered a selling point. People dont buy blackberrys for BBM.....

lol.

Difining features of a BB are push email, multi-tasking, and security. Then maybe the gap will close if iPhone can accomplish that, but simply having a third party messaging service is not taking away from a defining feature of the blackberry.
    I beg to differ. I have gotten 12 people on blackberrys and when they see how easy it is to communicate with bbm, they never do txt or im again with people with BBs. That was the selling point. I guess it depends how many friends you have that use it everyday as their primary form of communication I have 25 of my real freinds on bbm, and it is an easy way to communicate for something quick to say. As stated it was an exclusive feature that all BB users shared and it was exclusive to only BB users and I was posting it because it is one less item that is exclusive to a BB.
    Last edited by theanswer3; 10-02-09 at 05:59 PM.
    10-02-09 05:55 PM
    Sorry Research In Motion, but the Blackberry ain't got nothin' on the Apple iPhone anymore.
    Are you really saying that with a straight face?
    10-02-09 06:24 PM
    Are you really saying that with a straight face?
    No this is not from me. This was from another website. I have a blackberry
    10-02-09 06:25 PM
    So, kinda like msn messenger, aol Im, yahoo Im, google talk, etc? I don't see this as a deal breaker.

I agree with you
    10-02-09 07:02 PM
    Ahh and the iphone and BB debate still goes on.

There is a device for everybody out there and blackberry isn't for all.
    Blackberry's are for people that want to get stuff done and iphone is for people that don't actually want to work and want to kill time

10-02-09 08:32 PM
    Blackberry's are for people that want to get stuff done and iphone is for people that don't actually want to work and want to kill time
    W/e you think!
    10-02-09 08:57 PM

Very well said...
    10-03-09 12:35 AM
    From the review I read about this app, it isn't that great like people want it to work. Some people can't even install it on their iPhone. It's slow and it does not support read or delivery status. This app doesn't even come close to BBM and it's NOT even free. :/
    10-03-09 04:11 AM
    I downloaded it for free 3 days ago, Someone posted on Twitter that it's free for a limited time . I Haven't used it yet though.

10-03-09 05:38 AM
    Um BES?

10char
    Um Microsoft Exchange
    10-03-09 05:48 AM

Sigh, I own a Blackberry, but it's sentiments like this that are absurdly condescending and make you look foolish. There are plenty people who have posted that they work just as well/quickly on their iPhone, and many business have switched from Berries to iPhones.I question how much "work" can REALLY be done on either, short of responding to email or having a phone call. Yeah, you could view or work on some documents, but it's going to be much slower than at an actual computer.

Anyway, the app sounds like a great idea, not surprised they finally rolled out something like this.
    Last edited by CASActuary; 10-03-09 at 10:22 AM.
    10-03-09 10:20 AM
    ^^^

I think that's accurate. Its funny though, I know a lot of BB user who switch to the iPhone and states how awesome the phone is and would never go back to BB. Several month later, after realizing the limited function of the iPhone as an everyday phone, they went to BB. They mention its the little things they missed like LED notificiation,shortcuts,themes,customization of alert...etc, let alone the push email/BBM. Sure the iphone has superior media, but BB have good media which is not the focus but does everything else better as an everyday phone and gets the job done efficiently and quickly and that's the bottom line. Just got my first BB(tour) a month ago and I can't imagine not being able to use some of its simple task and function. The fact that I have a PSP pretty much killed any doubt about getting an iphone and that was the deciding factor for me.
    10-03-09 11:46 AM
    the app stinks... it has lots of bugs....

its slow as ****.... things like the send button dissapear when i go to landscape mode... the txt bar shakes when you type messages...

i didnt receive half of the messages that were sent to me by other users....

as for it closing the gap to the BB.... HA!!!

first, it has to function like BBM, secondly, what about all the other IM programs, like msn, google etc... the iphone still doesnt support them...

sub par at best

maybe mr jobs should get to desiging his own native iphone to iphone messaging app....
    Last edited by thadealer; 10-03-09 at 01:27 PM.
    10-03-09 01:18 PM

talking about getting stuff done... i dont know how u can get your work done without the use of a good browser and the internet...
    10-03-09 02:21 PM
    first, it has to function like BBM, secondly, what about all the other IM programs, like msn, google etc... the iphone still doesnt support them...
    Really? How come when I open up BeeJive and go to add a new account I see options for MSN and Google? Just because their aren't designated apps just for Google and MSN, doesn't mean they aren't available. I'm pretty sure IM+ has the same thing.
    10-03-09 08:27 PM
    ^^^yep I use most of those on my Iphone
    Last edited by Teek; 10-03-09 at 09:30 PM.
    10-03-09 09:27 PM
    10-03-09 09:27 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD