Came across a interesting article

AT&T has apparently found a workable solution to the reported data congestion in New York City. They’ve quietly stopped selling the iPhone to customers in the New York metropolitan area, at least from their web site.

I guess that’s one way to solve the problem.

Reader Stephen in Brooklyn made the discovery while shopping for a new phone today.

“I was on the AT&T Wireless website trying to get an iPhone. However, when I put in my zip code 11231, the site says the iPhone is unavailable. This seemed a little odd so I started punching in other famous zip codes: 90210, 60609 (spiegel catalog), 02134 (zoom, an old children’s show).

For theses cities, LA, Chicago, Boston, iPhone is available. Then I looked up some other zip codes: Dallas, Miami, St. Louis, Philadelphia, San Francisco. All those cities are ok. Then I started putting in more NYC zip codes: midtown, Staten Island, the Bronx…no iPhone available.

This is weird…AT&T has cut off New York City.”

New York is Not Ready for the iPhone | Gossip District
    12-27-09 09:09 PM
    Came across a interesting article

AT&T has apparently found a workable solution to the reported data congestion in New York City. They’ve quietly stopped selling the iPhone to customers in the New York metropolitan area, at least from their web site.

I guess that’s one way to solve the problem.

Reader Stephen in Brooklyn made the discovery while shopping for a new phone today.

“I was on the AT&T Wireless website trying to get an iPhone. However, when I put in my zip code 11231, the site says the iPhone is unavailable. This seemed a little odd so I started punching in other famous zip codes: 90210, 60609 (spiegel catalog), 02134 (zoom, an old children’s show).

For theses cities, LA, Chicago, Boston, iPhone is available. Then I looked up some other zip codes: Dallas, Miami, St. Louis, Philadelphia, San Francisco. All those cities are ok. Then I started putting in more NYC zip codes: midtown, Staten Island, the Bronx…no iPhone available.

This is weird…AT&T has cut off New York City.”

New York is Not Ready for the iPhone | Gossip District
    I just went to upgrade both of my phones and the message that no Apple phones were available. I live in Queens NYC
    12-27-09 09:23 PM
    I live in NYC and I tried to order one last night and no go. Live chat told me it's because of recent fraud in the area. Dam New Yorkers.
    12-27-09 09:29 PM
    I live in NYC and I tried to order one last night and no go. Live chat told me it's because of recent fraud in the area. Dam New Yorkers.
    Sounds like you spoke with an fool in CS. What the fruck does fraud have to do with anything.
    12-27-09 09:45 PM
    Sounds like you spoke with an fool in CS. What the fruck does fraud have to do with anything.
    A lot. If someone has a scheme going on when ordering, they may just be doing it so they would have to go in the store or call in (where the call may be recorded), rather than ordering online. They can always deny something wasn't them online.
    12-28-09 02:19 AM
    ah, u beat me to it. was just gonna put up a link to the news item!
    12-28-09 09:27 AM
    too many people activate iphones and then cancelling.
    12-28-09 10:40 AM
    I heard the Iphone is not available in NYC because AT&T is having issues with towers or not enough towers and they have major data problems.
    12-28-09 02:42 PM
    I heard the Iphone is not available in NYC because AT&T is having issues with towers or not enough towers and they have major data problems.
    It's not available right now ordering it online. But you can walk into any AT&T
    store or Apple store in NYC and can walk out with a brand new iPhone.
    12-28-09 04:11 PM
    that sucks, i was just in NYC and in manhatten chinatown i ran into about 4 guys trying to sell me an iphone. Guess you know where to go now
    01-05-10 06:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD