Ok I don't get it, what difference Is it to hold down the BB button or double tap the IPhone button to switch apps? And I don't have to deal with all the endless menus on the IPhone.
    11-20-11 11:19 AM
    I don't understand how some people say they can't multi-task on an iPhone. I manage just fine. I honestly don't see a difference between BB and iOS multi-tasking.
    11-20-11 06:39 PM
    I don't understand how some people say they can't multi-task on an iPhone. I manage just fine. I honestly don't see a difference between BB and iOS multi-tasking.
    I agree with you there moiselles. In fact, TBH, I find it easier to multi task on the iPhone than I did my bb. I think that's because 1) it's touch screen and 2) it responds quickly to your tap.

Sent from iPinkks 4S using Tapatalk
    11-20-11 06:44 PM
    I agree with you there moiselles. In fact, TBH, I find it easier to multi task on the iPhone than I did my bb. I think that's because 1) it's touch screen and 2) it responds quickly to your tap.

I think part of why some people think it might be easier to multi-task on a BB is because on older iOS versions, there wasn't such a thing as tapping the home button twice to find your apps running in the background or switch between apps. So some of the people who had older versions of the iPhone didn't have a way to do this, thus why they might feel the BB has better multi-tasking. And of course, anyone who has used an iPhone probably wouldn't know this trick.

I know that when I had my 3GS, the double clicking the home button didn't exist (I think it was a new feature of iOS4?). I was thrilled to discover this with my iPhone4S.
    11-20-11 06:51 PM
    I had an iPhone 4 for about 6 months. I vowed to never use an iPhone again unless it is Jailbroken. One thing I hated on stock OS 4 was the damn popup with text messages. The one thing I couldn't stand was that. Now with OS 5 and the much improved notifications I don't really have the need for a jailbreak. Nice to see the improvements
    11-20-11 06:55 PM
    ^ Yes, when I had my 3GS, I hated that SMS always showed the first couple lines, if not the whole message on a pop-up, even when the screen was locked. Now, on iOS5, I have it set to only show the name of the person who is sending me a text. I much prefer that.

iOS5 offered some really great new features.
    11-20-11 07:03 PM
    Multi task is awesome on iOS5. I used to see friends with older iPhones and honestly I wasn't impressed. After iPhone 4 came out i was impressed by hardware etc. when blackberry 9930 came out I thought OS 7 would be a giant leap. I was wrong. Once I saw preview of iOS5 I was like wow. If next iPhone drops on sprint I will get it...that's exactly what happened. iOS 5 it's so awesome who cares about a jailbreak. I'll still do it when it comes out but I can live without a jailbreak. I tell u this...I do not miss blackberry at all. I'm very satisfied and happy with this. The battery is great/for work is awesome/for media and play even better.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-20-11 07:26 PM
    ok, I understand more now as far as that double click of the home button to multi task as well as shut down apps. This is the first iPhone I've used so I wasn't aware of the fact that it wasn't avail prior.

Now with that being mentioned I do have a 3rd gen iPod touch that does NOT have the double click of the home button feature.

11-20-11 08:08 PM
    3rd gen iPod does have the double click to switch and will run iOS 5
    11-20-11 10:00 PM
    I think part of why some people think it might be easier to multi-task on a BB is because on older iOS versions, there wasn't such a thing as tapping the home button twice to find your apps running in the background or switch between apps. So some of the people who had older versions of the iPhone didn't have a way to do this, thus why they might feel the BB has better multi-tasking. And of course, anyone who has used an iPhone probably wouldn't know this trick.

I know that when I had my 3GS, the double clicking the home button didn't exist (I think it was a new feature of iOS4?). I was thrilled to discover this with my iPhone4S.
    I've tried this menu button shortcut, that's not the only problem with multi-tasking on this os, it seems when I switch between applications a lot of them close or restart or refresh, or the webpage pauses loading. Just earlier today on the train I typed out a really long paragraph, and it made me remember an article I read so I opened a new page and started reading the article, I go back to find my page voluntarily refreshed erasing all my stuff. I tried to recover with no luck. Makes me afraid to do more than 1 thing at a time. On my BB when I accidentally click a link, or press back, and go back my whole paragraph is still there.

I am like obsessive detail oriented- all the little details, features, and shortcuts compile into an orchestra that makes carrying out my tasks the easiest and fastest, it isn't until my phone is taken away that I appreciate these things to the fullest degree.

When it comes to tasking on my phone, I'm not going to just manage.. My device is an extension of my hand so I'm going to expect maximum performance, I seek what is closest to a pc experience, so again it's what works for me keyword me.
    11-21-11 12:06 AM
    Multitaksing on a Blackberry can't be touched, not only all apps remain fully working in the bacgound but you can select between them much faster, and no, not by holding menu button down but by pressing the end call button then quickly selecting the app you want to open next and this is where the keyboard shortcuts come into their own.

Example

End call buttom + N - open BBM
    End call button + M - now your Messages folder is open where you can also access the following two as well
    End call button + G - Gtalk
    End call button + Y - Yahoo messenger
    End call button + B - Browser
    End call button + L - Calendar
    Etc

Not to mention you can make calls from any screen or app

Each of this actions takes less then a second

If you think your iphone multitasks as well as a BB it means you never used your BB to its full potential.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    msmara likes this.
    11-21-11 02:23 AM
    Multitaksing on a Blackberry can't be touched, not only all apps remain fully working in the bacgound but you can select between them much faster, and no, not by holding menu button down but by pressing the end call button then quickly selecting the app you want to open next and this is where the keyboard shortcuts come into their own.

Example

End call buttom + N - open BBM
    End call button + M - now your Messages folder is open where you can also access the following two as well
    End call button + G - Gtalk
    End call button + Y - Yahoo messenger
    End call button + B - Browser
    End call button + L - Calendar
    Etc

Not to mention you can make calls from any screen or app

Each of this actions takes less then a second

If you think your iphone multitasks as well as a BB it means you never used your BB to its full potential.

Not to mention assigning applications to your convenience keys on the sides of the device, the calculator is my most used shortcut button on the right side, and it helps calculating my employee discounts+coupons during my 15minute (shopping) breaks at work that much faster
    11-21-11 02:59 AM
    Before any other iphone owner argues about multitasking they should try this simultaneous actions and then come back to argue:

Download 4 mp3 files and 2 mp4 files in the browser
    Upload a video to youtube
    Download a podcast in the podcast app
    Listen to music
    Browse the net
    Download a file from dropbox
    Backup to the cloud
    And the list could go on

Sure, it will take a while but all you have to do is start the actions and you know they will finish.

11-21-11 03:03 AM
    Keyboard shortcuts were hard to remember. I spent more time trying to figure out if M was for messages or another application. I just ended up finding the app and clicking the icon anyway.

Now, if BlackBerry would allow you to customize your shortcuts for different third party apps, that would've been great. For example, if I could assign T for Twitter.

And with the 9800 I only had one convenience key anyway. Having it open one single app did not affect my ability to be productive as I use multiple apps all the time.

Agains, it's personal preference. I have no issue multi-tasking on my iPhone. It's very easy to navigate.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by moiselles; 11-21-11 at 06:43 AM.
    Caymancroc likes this.
    11-21-11 06:25 AM
    Keyboard shortcuts were hard to remember. I spent more time trying to figure out of M was for messages or another application. I just ended up finding the app and clicking the icon anyway.

Now, if BlackBerry would allow you to customize your shortcuts for different third party apps, that would've been great. For example, if I could assign T for Twitter.

And with the 9800 I only had one convenience key anyway. Having it open one single app did not affect my ability to be productive as I use multiple apps all the time.

Agains, it's personal preference. I have no issue multitasking on my iPhone. It's very easy to navigate.

Lol, shortcuts are hard to remember?

Anyway, the point is you're not really multitasking, you are switching apps.

11-21-11 06:43 AM
    Whatever you say, Belfast. I'm really done with this. It's pointless. What I need out of a phone is different than what you need. So my idea of multi-tasking may be different than yours.

I never said iPhone did it better. I just said it could do it. That's all.

11-21-11 06:45 AM
    Whatever you say, Belfast. I'm really done with this. It's pointless. What I need out of a phone is different than what you need. So my idea of multi-tasking may be different than yours.

I never said iPhone did it better. I just said it could do it. That's all.

I suppose you can break it into two categories:

1. User multitasking
    2. Device multitasking

You can argue about the first as you are just quickly swapping between apps but you can't argue about the second as a BB keeps all apps running in the background performing whatever tasks they are doing.

PS this is a forum where people express their opinion on things and yes, argue about things. Lately you just prefer to leave drive by comments and never have to prove your point.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 11-21-11 at 07:27 AM.
    11-21-11 07:21 AM
    Leave drive by comments? I don't know what you're talking about. I was stating an opinion. I like multi-tasking on my iPhone better.

11-21-11 07:37 AM
    Leave drive by comments? I don't know what you're talking about. I was stating an opinion. I like multi-tasking on my iPhone better.

moiselles...ignore function is wonderful................
    reeneebob likes this.
    11-21-11 07:42 AM

Take like out of the equation, we're talking about which one it's better/faster etc.

Just try to get two/three apps to do things at the same time
    Upload to youtube, download from dropbox and perform a backup to your icloud for example, can they all work at the same time? That's the real definition of multitasking.

11-21-11 07:44 AM
    I don't want to ignore anyone. I've always enjoyed debates here on CB. Lately it has just been exhausting.

11-21-11 07:45 AM
    Take like out of the equation, we're talking about which one it's better/faster etc.

Just try to get two/three apps to do things at the same time
    Upload to youtube, download from dropbox and perform a backup to your icloud for example, can they all work at the same time? That's the real definition of multitasking.

You win. BlackBerry multi-tasks better.

11-21-11 07:47 AM
    You win. BlackBerry multi-tasks better.

Lol, I think I'm gonna print this and put it up on the wall.

I while ago I lent my 9700 to my niece and when I looked at the browser once she had about 10 mp3 files downloading at the same time and she was wondering why it was slow lol, this is a good and bad thing about BB, good for the ones that know, bad for the ones that don't and just leave everything running and they start complaining why it runs out of memory and slows down.

11-21-11 07:52 AM
    moiselles and the other party:

FYI both phones do it. That is all mutli-tasking is. Lets see I can vpn into my server initiate a reboot, click my home button and message my co-worker then flip back to my rdp session and check the server. And while server 1 is rebooting check another server if needed. All over 3G. Can a BB do that?

In computing, multitasking is a method where multiple tasks, also known as processes, share common processing resources such as a CPU. In the case of a computer with a single CPU, only one task is said to be running at any point in time, meaning that the CPU is actively executing instructions for that task. Multitasking solves the problem by scheduling which task may be the one running at any given time, and when another waiting task gets a turn. The act of reassigning a CPU from one task to another one is called a context switch. When context switches occur frequently enough the illusion of parallelism is achieved. Even on computers with more than one CPU (called multiprocessor machines), multitasking allows many more tasks to be run than there are CPUs.
    11-21-11 07:56 AM
    Yes moiselles, your VPN needs resetting, over 3G by the way, make sure you do LOL
    He found one thing that a Blackberry can't do and he will not shut up about it

I'm more worried about doing day to day things, like downloading podcasts, music, uploading and downloading from dropbox, facebook etc

Believe it or not, I don't hate the iphone, I would take one as a second device.

PS How come his servers need rebooting so much? Every day he's connecting to them via 3G and rebooting them it seems.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 11-21-11 at 08:25 AM.
    11-21-11 08:09 AM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD