Well it's pretty much official... there will be no iPhone Nano and I'm actually glad to hear that.

Tim Cook said in the conference call today - "You know us, we're not going to play in the low-end voice phone business. That's not who we are. That's not why we're here. We'll let somebody do that, our goal is not to be the unit share leader in the phone industry. It is to build the best phone."

And then Steve Jobs said this a while back. Somehow I missed it...

"I wasn't alive then, but from everything I've heard, Babe Ruth only had one home run. He just kept hitting it over and over again. I think that the traditional game in the phone market has been to produce a voice phone in a hundred different varieties. But as software starts to become the differentiating technology of this product category, I think that people are going to find that a hundred variations presented to a software developer is not very enticing. And most of the competitors in this phone business do not really have much experience in a software platform business."

So there you have it, pretty much puts the last nail in the coffin of a iPhone Nano.
    01-21-09 07:03 PM
    Never thought there would be one... one site started the accessories and everyone else followed.
    01-22-09 01:01 AM
    ...Tim Cook said in the conference call today - "You know us, we're not going to play in the low-end voice phone business. That's not who we are. That's not why we're here. We'll let somebody do that, our goal is not to be the unit share leader in the phone industry. It is to build the best phone."..
    I did not expect the rumors to be true, but this statement actually does surprise me a bit. They do aim for the low-end on music players, so why not on the phone? IMO they already do since the iPhone started out at what 599? and now it's 199 -- that's much lower. Since they make low-end iPod Shuffles and Nanos for $149 and less, it wouldn't surprise me one day for them to make an iPhone Nano style device just simply to be more compact and perhaps $50 less haha (like the MacBooks, they only shaved off $100). I would assume "low-end phone" to them is something much less feature packed than the current iPhone, but could be wrong.
    01-22-09 01:09 AM
    I did not expect the rumors to be true, but this statement actually does surprise me a bit. They do aim for the low-end on music players, so why not on the phone? IMO they already do since the iPhone started out at what 599? and now it's 199 -- that's much lower. Since they make low-end iPod Shuffles and Nanos for $149 and less, it wouldn't surprise me one day for them to make an iPhone Nano style device just simply to be more compact and perhaps $50 less haha (like the MacBooks, they only shaved off $100). I would assume "low-end phone" to them is something much less feature packed than the current iPhone, but could be wrong.
    To be fair to the iPhone 3G price, the $199 is subsidized, where as the original never was.

As far as the Nano not happening (yet), I'd rather see Apple concentrate on a single device. But good point about the iPod Nano...
    01-23-09 01:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD