01-27-10 07:26 PM
66 123
tools
    Did a search and didn't see this anywhere.

iPhone May Leave AT&T Exclusivity Wednesday [Rumor]

iPhone May Leave AT&T Exclusivity Wednesday [Rumor]

Itís almost inevitable that AT&T will lose its iPhone exclusivity sooner or later. According to Hot Hardware, that milestone could come as early as next Wednesday at Appleís special event.

It makes sense for Apple: analysts say iPhone sales could as much as double as a result of pursuing broader carrier distribution. Plus, it would help assuage the Justice Department, who have indicated concern over iPhone exclusivity with AT&T.

It even makes sense for AT&T, who in some ways are arguably shouldering an excessive burden by being the sole carrier of the data-intensive device. Many of the customer complaints about AT&Tís service (or lack thereof) can be traced to network troubles that are primarily a result of the bandwidth-hungry Apple phone.

So now rumour has it that at least one of the other 3 U.S. carriers may add the iPhone to its roster next week. The inside sources that conveyed the news didnít disclose any details about which carrier that might be, but earlier rumours point to Verizon as a likely candidate.

If youíve been holding out on buying an iPhone until it left the AT&T fold, would you consider picking one up on another carrier? If so, which carrier would it have to be? Current iPhone owners: would you consider switching carriers? Or are you content with the iPhone on AT&T?
    01-24-10 06:15 PM
    I just saw this on BGR and I dont buy it.

EVEN IF another carrier was getting the iphone this summer, they wouldnt announce it because it would hurt iphone sales until June. Itd make zero sense for Apple to open their lips about carriers at this point as itd just hurt their own Q1 sales
    01-24-10 06:24 PM
    Yeah it will happen sooner or later. It's the only way Apple can continue to dominate the smartphone consumer market. I'm looking forward to it, so I can decide where I want to go without having to give up the phone. More than likely, if it goes to VZW this year, I will switch in the fall since that is when my AT&T contract is up. But if for some reason it went to t-mobile or something, I'm sticking with AT&T.
    01-24-10 06:26 PM
    just purchased one a few days ago on craigslist to unlock on local carrier, will be dropping verizon later next month. Would be nice to see it goto another carrier, but I will probably stay on current local carrier for pricing.
    01-24-10 06:32 PM
    I dont know if Verizon would get the Iphone yet considering Verizon already turned down apple 1 time already in the past... what makes you think Verizon has changed there minds if they want the Iphone again?
    01-24-10 06:53 PM
    Verizon would be the best choice since they are larger than Sprint and T-Mobile. Perhaps Apple realizes that Verizon has learned from their mistake.

If Verizon gets the I can't wait to see if it stays the same or gets hacked like they used to do with their operating system and I can't wait to see what happens next week. If the Iphone goes to Verizon, I am jumping ship back to them. The service is much better than ATT (at least for me).

I dont know if Verizon would get the Iphone yet considering Verizon already turned down apple 1 time already in the past... what makes you think Verizon has changed there minds if they want the Iphone again?
    01-24-10 07:34 PM
    You wont find out next week, theres NO WAY Apple would shoot themselves in the foot and hurt their own sales for the next 5 months. If people who dont like ATT knew a possible VZW was coming they wouldnt buy one now!

It makes zero business sense to announce it now and kill there Q1 sales figures.
    01-24-10 07:43 PM
    Someone with business sense.. rare these days.
    01-24-10 07:54 PM
    Um probably has something to do with the 10 million iPhones sold every quarter.
    01-25-10 12:20 PM
    Probably because of the huge success the iPhone has had. They turned it down a few years ago but things change over time. And there were plenty of articles with one of VZW's top execs that said it would be up to Apple and VZW's network would be ready for the iPhone if Apple wanted to do it. VZW knows it would dominate the US if they had the iPhone. Remember the only became the largest carrier because they bought Alltel. If they were to release an iPhone I could imagine the millions of people flocking to VZW to get away from AT&T and even T-mobile (who are using unlocked ones). This is a no-brainer for VZW.
    01-25-10 01:09 PM
    Just my opinion, but I think that VZW makes the most sense for Apple. They have the most subscribers and a move like that would really help them as far as going for number one market share in the smartphone space. The only thing that I think could keep this from taking place is if Jobs is as some reports suggest really pissed that VZW used the iPhone in ads attacking ATT. Now I know it seems far fetched but then again Apple is different then most companies and Jobs is the type of guy that holds a grudge.
    01-25-10 01:26 PM
    IMO it's all about the Benjamin's
    01-25-10 01:26 PM
    I seriously hope this happens so I can see all the Verizon customers who bashed
    the he!! out of the iPhone running to their nearest stores to get one. But I also
    hope it happens for the people who really want an iPhone but held out for so long
    because they didn't want to use it on AT&T.
    01-25-10 01:52 PM
    I seriously hope this happens so I can see all the Verizon customers who bashed
    the he!! out of the iPhone running to their nearest stores to get one. But I also
    hope it happens for the people who really want an iPhone but held out for so long
    because they didn't want to use it on AT&T.
    Yes! All the Storm owners who bashed it would go get one and those that think the Droid can hold a candle to it would be tempted. It would be hilarious because a lot of people that had so many negative things to say about it would probably get it because it's now available to them. I switched to AT&T from VZW for the iPhone. I would gladly switch back especially when VZW's LTE network is up and running everywhere.
    01-25-10 03:02 PM
    Coincidently, Verizon is said to be planning something on the 27th which happens to be the same day as Apple's event. Hmmmmmmm. It's going to be interesting to see what happens. In the tablet PC is released on VZW then that would dispell any notion that Apple wouldn't deal with Verizon and make it more apparent that an iPhone on VZW is inevitable.

Verizon Wireless to store managers: Wednesday is a big day ę Boy Genius Report
    01-25-10 03:25 PM
    Ever thought of the itablet? VZW may be getting that. I HIGHLY doubt it's the new iPhone!
    01-25-10 05:06 PM
    I had the iPhone when it first came out and than the 3GS and loved it. The only reason I went back to Verizon is because their network is much stronger than AT&T where I live. In my hometown (Portland, OR), AT&T worked just fine for me. But since I've moved, I had to switch carriers. If Verizon gets the iPhone (which I doubt for a while), I'll be in line to get it.
    01-25-10 10:12 PM
    Mark, mind if I ask where in Idaho are you? I'm in Boise and have no issues with the AT&T network while having the iPhone. So just kinda curious what signal/reception to you actually get from AT&T vs VZW?
    01-26-10 07:56 AM
    I don't know if we will hear about a Verizon iPhone tomorrow but I do think Verizon is going to be getting one. I can hear the slogan already, best phone on the best network.....Verizon's iPhone! LOL. I had one on At&t and loved it! Yes I will be picking up a Verizon iPhone, can't wait! Blackberry's are just getting too boring in a world which is becoming oh so interesting! Maybe Rim will wake up once they see a Verizon iPhone in the works!
    01-26-10 08:17 AM
    I don't know if we will hear about a Verizon iPhone tomorrow but I do think Verizon is going to be getting one. I can hear the slogan already, best phone on the best network.....Verizon's iPhone! LOL. I had one on At&t and loved it! Yes I will be picking up a Verizon iPhone, can't wait! Blackberry's are just getting too boring in a world which is becoming oh so interesting! Maybe Rim will wake up once they see a Verizon iPhone in the works!
    Well said...
    01-26-10 08:27 AM
    Apple would have to change their OS for it to work ont VZWs system. IPhone wont work on 1XEV
    01-26-10 08:28 AM
    "Best" is all relative, tens of millions of people still use ATT and dont have issues. The people having issues are maybe 1-2% of the total user group, but they scream the loudest to the press. People who dont have issues remain quiet usually.

And I dont think youll see a vZW iphone announced tomm. More likely then not the VZW employee hooplah is the tablet.

Apple wouldnt kill their own Q1 sales by announcing a phone coming in the summer and then people not buy until then. Why do you think they didnt announce the 3GS more than 3 weeks before it was available? So people still bought the 3G and kept their sales up. They want to sell as many 3GSs as they can until the next model, they wont likely be announcing the new model for any carrier yet, itd make zero sense from a business standpoint
    01-26-10 08:42 AM
    "Best" is all relative, tens of millions of people still use ATT and dont have issues. The people having issues are maybe 1-2% of the total user group, but they scream the loudest to the press. People who dont have issues remain quiet usually.

And I dont think youll see a vZW iphone announced tomm. More likely then not the VZW employee hooplah is the tablet.

Apple wouldnt kill their own Q1 sales by announcing a phone coming in the summer and then people not buy until then. Why do you think they didnt announce the 3GS more than 3 weeks before it was available? So people still bought the 3G and kept their sales up. They want to sell as many 3GSs as they can until the next model, they wont likely be announcing the new model for any carrier yet, itd make zero sense from a business standpoint
    What you are saying doesn't make any sense. If an iPhone on Verizon was announced tomorrow do you really think 70% of At&t iPhone user's would switch over to a Verizon iPhone. And if so Apple doesn't care because that customer would still have an iPhone. It would all even out for Apple's iPhone sales! At the end of the day they would be selling the same amount of iPhone's in total! Does somebody need to take some extra math classes! At&t would be the only company hurt from a Verizon iPhone! Am I right?????
    01-26-10 09:00 AM
    And s you dont realize they wont release a VZW iphone tomm- a .00000001% chance. Were talking an ANNOUNCEMENT.

Someone needs to take a reading class, ANNOUNCE and RELEASE are 2 TOTALLY different stories. RELEASE means the phone can be bought, ANNOUNCE means the speak about it for future availability.

Why ANNOUNCE a phone available in a couple months so people hold off buying phones? You clearly dont know how business work theres something called quarterly projections. A million sold in 6 months is WAY different from a million lost today in business and quarterly figures. They can easily sell another 5 million 3G/3GSs before June and unload the stock they have. People will upgrade no matter what if they really want the 4G. It makes zero sense from a business perspective to announce something now for 5 months ahead when they could sell another few million and THEN sell another few million more to new and the same people.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-26-10 at 07:20 PM.
    01-26-10 05:56 PM
    Apple would have to change their OS for it to work ont VZWs system. IPhone wont work on 1XEV
    Software is not the problem, all they need is CDMA capability instead of or in addition to GSM capability like they have in the iPhones that are being sold in China.
    01-26-10 07:41 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD