I really don't think apple would release its iPad on VZW and then keep the iPhone exclusive to att or give it to another carrier like Sprint or Tmo. It just wouldn't make sense. I doubt if a VZW iphone will be announced tomorrow but I think its coming down the road. It will be exciting when it does! You will probably hear a collective cry of rejoice from a fairly large population of VZW customers- myself included!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-10 08:21 PM
    I seriously doubt Verizon getting the iPhone anytime before the summer or being announced before may/june. If it is going to another carrier, it would logically be T-Mobile as they are GSM, and only the UTMS frequencies would have to be changed to 1700/2100. If Verizon was getting it, we would have seen proof from the FCC by now. It would sort of be like in the UK, O2 had it, and then Orange and Vodafone. In the US, the only other major GSM carrier is T-Mobile, and it would cost less to allow T-Mobile access to the phone rather than building a new CDMA phone limited to the 80 million on Verizon or the 49 million on Sprint. Plus, it wouldn't allow simultaneous voice and data as that is a restriction with the forms of EVDO that the CDMA carriers have chosen to implement. And T-Mobile's 3G network is now only slightly smaller than AT&T's.
    01-26-10 08:46 PM
    At this juncture AT&T wants other carrier's to carry the iphone, if you haven't noticed (be the iphone's fault or not) AT&T is getting a lot of bad press. It's not easy to erase bad press. I'm sure there willing to surrender some iphone sales to keep what good image they have left.

The iphone is just to popular for AT&T to handle.
    01-26-10 09:20 PM
    I seriously doubt Verizon getting the iPhone anytime before the summer or being announced before may/june. If it is going to another carrier, it would logically be T-Mobile as they are GSM, and only the UTMS frequencies would have to be changed to 1700/2100. If Verizon was getting it, we would have seen proof from the FCC by now. It would sort of be like in the UK, O2 had it, and then Orange and Vodafone. In the US, the only other major GSM carrier is T-Mobile, and it would cost less to allow T-Mobile access to the phone rather than building a new CDMA phone limited to the 80 million on Verizon or the 49 million on Sprint. Plus, it wouldn't allow simultaneous voice and data as that is a restriction with the forms of EVDO that the CDMA carriers have chosen to implement. And T-Mobile's 3G network is now only slightly smaller than AT&T's.
    So you think Apple would pass up the chance to sell to 80 million Verizon customers because it would be too much of a hassle to make a CDMA iPhone? Isn't their tablet supposedly going to be available to cdma consumers? I hope you are wrong- for my own selfish reasons!

01-26-10 10:16 PM
    I just want them to introduce two things:

• OS 4.0 with multitasking & android like notifications
    • The 4th gen iPhone with a LED indication, better battery & 5MP camera with better lens & good (not like BB) flash.
    01-26-10 11:41 PM
    I concur...

I just want them to introduce two things:

• OS 4.0 with multitasking & android like notifications
    • The 4th gen iPhone with a LED indication, better battery & 5MP camera with better lens & good (not like BB) flash.
    01-27-10 06:19 AM
    Stuaw knows business! Things must be going well with you buddy. If a 4.0 At&t iPhone comes out in June and a Verizon iPhone comes out in June the only company that will be hurt is At&t. NOT APPLE! That's the point I was trying to make. Sorry buddy!
    01-27-10 07:08 AM
    I hope this is true. There will be a lot of folks leaving ATT to head to big V. Should free up a lot of data on ATT 3G. Hopefully Apple has revamped the iphone to upstage the Android movement. Lovin' the technology war...
    01-27-10 07:32 AM
    Lovin' the technology war...
    We all win
    01-27-10 07:50 AM
    Apple wouldnt kill their own Q1 sales by announcing a phone coming in the summer and then people not buy until then. Why do you think they didnt announce the 3GS more than 3 weeks before it was available? So people still bought the 3G and kept their sales up. They want to sell as many 3GSs as they can until the next model, they wont likely be announcing the new model for any carrier yet, itd make zero sense from a business standpoint
    But I do think this would be a different case. You're correct Apple didnt want to announce the 3GS too early or it would cannibalize their own 3G sales since it only existed on ATT. Now they could announce not necessarily a 4G iPhone that is also coming to Verizon, but if they say only that Verizon will be getting "the iPhone" it would be fine. I dont think that would kill their Q1 sales, even if the potential customers who were about to flock to ATT stopped.

I do think its actually crucial for Apple to announce a Verizon iPhone ASAP because with the Nexus coming to Verizon, the new Palm Pre and Pixi and still strong Droid sales, Apple can stop these potential sales dead in their tracks.
    01-27-10 08:52 AM
    Apple will not announce Verizon (iPhone) today even if they did have plans this summer for it. Reason being is they don't want people to wait who would normally buy it before then.
    I do not think it is crucial to announce Verizon at this time because the Palm Pre is utterly NO threat to the iPhone, Pixi is a joke and Droid sales may be strong.. but not multi-million strong like the iPhone.

Nexus one sales of 20,000-50,000+ is no threat to anyone let alone the iPhone .

People continually think and compare the iPhone to other smartphones and that is where the problem is. The iPhone is in a class of it's own.. not because of actual features but because of mind share of which NO PHONE in the world can come close to matching.

People will wait, want and rant just because it's an "iPhone"..

iPhone "4G" will sell 5 million phones in one weekend this summer while the 100 other android phones combined sell 1 million.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 01-27-10 at 10:42 AM.
    01-27-10 10:30 AM
    does anyone know what time the event happens and if we can watch it live on the net?
    01-27-10 10:57 AM
    Stuaw knows business! Things must be going well with you buddy. If a 4.0 At&t iPhone comes out in June and a Verizon iPhone comes out in June the only company that will be hurt is At&t. NOT APPLE! That's the point I was trying to make. Sorry buddy!

Which has NOTHING to do with today or this thread topic now does it "buddy"

Thats a topic for WHEN and IF VZW gets an iphone, how many ATT people will really put their money where their mouth is and defect over to VZW or whatever other carrier carries it.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-27-10 at 11:41 AM.
    01-27-10 11:34 AM
    But I do think this would be a different case. You're correct Apple didnt want to announce the 3GS too early or it would cannibalize their own 3G sales since it only existed on ATT. Now they could announce not necessarily a 4G iPhone that is also coming to Verizon, but if they say only that Verizon will be getting "the iPhone" it would be fine. I dont think that would kill their Q1 sales, even if the potential customers who were about to flock to ATT stopped.

I do think its actually crucial for Apple to announce a Verizon iPhone ASAP because with the Nexus coming to Verizon, the new Palm Pre and Pixi and still strong Droid sales, Apple can stop these potential sales dead in their tracks.
    I have to agree with Entertainment on this one though. Unless Apple announces today, average Bob walking down the street wont know anything about an iphone on another carrier. They arent "techy" or read blogs like us to know inside rumors. Thus Apple could keep selling to these people and THEN resell to them again this summer very possibly. I dont see any carrier rep or Apple rep ever saying "well you know our new model of this item comes out in 5 months you should really wait." Theyre out for the sale of course! And possibly another sale on the new model!

You have to remember to Apple a sale is a sale no matter what carrier its on. They couldnt care less if you buy it today on ATT June on another carrier (other then its a different financial quarter of course so they want your $ today), but factoring that out the point is they get your $$$ either way. Better chance if they sell you people today a good percentage will still upgrade in June to the 4G. 2 easy sales right there for those people.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 01-27-10 at 11:43 AM.
    01-27-10 11:40 AM
    What the heck is the Apple Tablet? Is that announced already? I heard a rumor just now.
    01-27-10 11:45 AM
    I seriously hope this happens so I can see all the Verizon customers who bashed
    the he!! out of the iPhone running to their nearest stores to get one. But I also
    hope it happens for the people who really want an iPhone but held out for so long
    because they didn't want to use it on AT&T.
    I love you! Marry me?!
    01-27-10 11:49 AM
    How long will we have to wait before we get the news?

01-27-10 11:52 AM
    How long will we have to wait before we get the news?

About 7 minutes!

But I'm not holding my breath. I doubt they are going to tell me anything of value today.
    01-27-10 11:53 AM
    It's all about the Tablet, not the iPhone. They love that thing. It's an iTouch on steroids IMO. Already got one of those.
    01-27-10 12:42 PM
    im not impressed at all so far.
    01-27-10 12:44 PM
    Hmm I may have to pick one of these up. I have a Droid (not starting a phone war just stating) and its rooted w/ wireless tether, imagine the possibilities with those 2 combined???? A laptop is too big to carry everywhere, but not that. I will definitely look into one of these bad boys!

Edit: nevermind this is through ATT blah.........
    Last edited by Lynx83; 01-27-10 at 01:19 PM.
    01-27-10 12:59 PM
    It's all about the Tablet, not the iPhone. They love that thing. It's an iTouch on steroids IMO. Already got one of those.
    Yeah I see it from the "breaking news" now. Had me excited thinking os 4.0 or the iPhone 4g news was going to be released.

01-27-10 01:16 PM
    I'm waiting for the Verizon stuff.....
    01-27-10 01:22 PM
    A laptop is too big to carry everywhere, but not that. I will definitely look into one of these bad boys!

Edit: nevermind this is through ATT blah.........
    My 14" laptop and the 13" macbook pro is anything but too big to carry around.. the iPad is a waste of money!
    01-27-10 01:24 PM
    There is none, iPad on ATT and GSM $30 data plan no contract. Sorry VZW folks, thats why yo dont believe rumors like weve been saying for months now!
    01-27-10 01:25 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD