So, it's been awhile since I've been here. Forgive me if this has been already asked, I just recently got my another smartphone. I got the iPhone 4. The question I have is a rather Technical. What is the biggest difference as to why RIM can get push email ragardless of server ( AOL, GMAIL, Yahoo! ETC. ) and the iPhone can't? I know RIM's been around longer and all that. But I was just curious is the coding is different? Or a much bigger issue. Just curious, and again if this has been asked been away for months. It's good to be back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-10 04:34 PM
    On BB devices, your email data goes through
    RIM and their servers. It's RIM that actually
    pushes the email for you. On the iPhone, the
    only time you'll get push is if the email service
    provides it.
    07-17-10 08:36 PM
    And since it doesn't go through RIM's servers, the e-mail accounts are all sync'd
    as you have them on your server. Folders and everything.
    07-17-10 08:55 PM
    Got you guess that makes sense, seems like it's something apple would be pushing for. Guess they don't really see it as a big deal.

07-17-10 09:43 PM
    So, it's been awhile since I've been here. Forgive me if this has been already asked, I just recently got my another smartphone. I got the iPhone 4. The question I have is a rather Technical. What is the biggest difference as to why RIM can get push email ragardless of server ( AOL, GMAIL, Yahoo! ETC. ) and the iPhone can't? I know RIM's been around longer and all that. But I was just curious is the coding is different? Or a much bigger issue. Just curious, and again if this has been asked been away for months. It's good to be back.

It depends on the service. For example, if you have standard POP3 email, BB will poll for your mail, just like iPhone. Some of the other services, like Gmail, have agreements to support the BB standard, and thus will push email to your BB. Unless things have changed recently though, it won't sync the emails. Emails read on BB will not be marked as read in Gmail. iPhones can also receive push email using Yahoo, MobileMe, or MSE. If you use Gmail, or Google Apps, you can easily set up your iPhone for MSE and will push email to your phone using MSE Activesync. Emails will also by synced. Actions performed on iPhone will be reflected in your Gmail account, although some actions are translated a bit differently, for example, "delete" will archive your email. It also goes without saying, that if your email is hosted on an MSE server, and Activesync is used, it will also push email to your iPhone.

Edit: activesync can also sync your calendars and contacts for you.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 07-18-10 at 02:32 AM.
    07-18-10 12:29 AM
    Got you guess that makes sense, seems like it's something apple would be pushing for. Guess they don't really see it as a big deal.

MSE Activesync has been supported by iPhone for over 2 years. This year though, you can have multiple MSE accounts on your iPhone. Email push via yahoo's mail service has been around since the iPhone was first announced. Push through MobileMe has also been available for a couple years now.
    07-18-10 02:20 AM
    Thanks guess I just happen to be unlucky because I go through aol. It's not to big of a deal breaker cause most of the stuff I get Is junk mail anyways, I was more so curious because it would make the iPhone more appealing to those whom rely on instant email.

07-18-10 02:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD