Ok Apple has 80 billion in cash, My question is how much of that is from cracked screens and replaced devices? We all know carriers don't offer insurance for the Iphone which means dishing out over $500 for a new 1. Any company to make a phone out of glass is clearly a money making strategy, Although I will get a few comments about "how it makes the screen clearer and gives it a much better display" Ok now explain the "Glass Back"? What does the back of the phone have to offer? NOTHING. Anything made out of glass breaks when it drops, So why make something that is pretty much guaranteed to fall at least once in its life time out of glass? (That's all it takes is 1 fall).
    spike12 likes this.
    12-08-11 11:37 PM
    Dude... You need help.

Most successful companies actually try to turn a profit; did you forget that Apple sells computers also? I was offered a chance to buy insurance when I purchased my iPhone last year. It was expensive, but it was offered.

The glass doesn't bother me. I actually like the design. Recently a friend at work crushed the screen on his iPhone 4 that was purchased in March. He contacted Apple asking what it would cost tohave the phone fixed, and they sent him a new phone to replace the damaged one. Normally, according to Apple, it would have cost him $150.00 for the repair, which included shipping. He said it was the best customer service he had ever had, and he would definitely do business with them again.
    Last edited by sallenthornton; 12-09-11 at 01:26 AM.
    12-08-11 11:54 PM
    When I had my iPhone 4 I paid $10 a month for insurance. Though I agree it seems odd to make a phone out of glass they more then make up for it by making their laptops out of Aluminum (IMHO) haha. Win some and lose some.
    12-09-11 12:51 AM
    SNORT.

1) I've dropped my iPhone. A few times. Without a case onto concrete amongst other materials. It didn't break.

2) AppleCare Plus. Before you post you should google.

3) Worst case scenario? Front breaks, pay $150 at Apple store and have a new phone. Back breaks? $20, 2 screws and 5 minutes gets you a new backplate easily replaced by yourself.

I've seen some desperate grasping at straws but this thread takes the cake.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    12-09-11 01:18 AM
    Ok Apple has 80 billion in cash, My question is how much of that is from cracked screens and replaced devices? We all know carriers don't offer insurance for the Iphone which means dishing out over $500 for a new 1. Any company to make a phone out of glass is clearly a money making strategy, Although I will get a few comments about "how it makes the screen clearer and gives it a much better display" Ok now explain the "Glass Back"? What does the back of the phone have to offer? NOTHING. Anything made out of glass breaks when it drops, So why make something that is pretty much guaranteed to fall at least once in its life time out of glass? (That's all it takes is 1 fall).
    The few posts here so far pretty much point out everything wrong with your post, but I'll add a few things:

You say, "Ok now explain the "Glass Back"? What does the back of the phone have to offer? NOTHING."

See, Apple is a company that enjoys making products aesthetically and visually pleasing. They believe the glass back helps with that. Sometimes art/design takes precedence over cost/function.

Second, you say, "Any company to make a phone out of glass is clearly a money making strategy."

Again, ignoring all the facts presented above about cost of repair from Apple, benefits of glass, etc., you're saying that Apple is making their products so that that it will ultimately make the money?

My gosh, this sounds like....(!)

....pretty much every single company out there. Not really a huge revelation.
    reeneebob likes this.
    12-09-11 02:09 AM
    When the iphone was first introduced nobody would insure it, but as time has past they do offer insurance for the iphone. Yes its made out of GLASS and when you pick it up the first time you realize its not your ordinary smart phone, its "fragile". Its as though you treat it like a new phone.....always. I have an OCD about my "stuff" and take good care, but one mistake could be a disaster. I guess the question for myself is, do I want the stress of that possibility.
    Jonathank likes this.
    12-09-11 07:47 AM
    byul was this at an Apple store? or an iPhone store. Just asking because an official iPhone store does not exist.
    12-09-11 07:50 AM
    Most carriers do offer insurance. Apple offers their own applecare+ program that covers accidental damage, BestBuy has insurance and there are multiple 3rd party insurance companies.

Not to mention the repair pricing isn't $500, even out or warranty replacement was only $250 if I remember correctly.

I will ask tho, how is the iPhone different to any other glass device? Granted the back is also glass but it can be replaced for $20 from many online retailers. Don't virtually all touchscreen devices use a glass screen? Those that use plastic, like the new bb curve, are a scratch disaster waiting to happen.
    12-09-11 08:28 AM
    Hey, BB fanboy, go play with your Dingleberry.
    Accidental Post and Jonathank like this.
    12-09-11 08:55 AM
    You must not get out much huh? I say that since the iPhone 4 has been out for well over a year now and you're just now complaining about this?

I have a crazy solution for you, don't drop the phone. I've gone without a case for weeks at a time without dropping and shattering anything. If you're super clumsy, they have this wonderful case called an Otterbox Defender.

Not to mention, from everything I've heard the Apple Store people are actually quite generous about fixing shattered screens for a small fee even when they aren't required to.

Plain and simple APPLE IS A TOY. Bluetooth sucks, wifi takes for ever to connect, touch is garbage call quality is horrible and the battery life sucks but I guess playing games is worth it
    Ah, I get it. You're just trolling. Try using an iPhone before you come make uneducated comments.
    Last edited by Phil DeLong; 12-09-11 at 09:37 AM.
    12-09-11 09:34 AM
    AND AGAIN ALL I HEAR IS "I ONLY HAVE TO PAY $150 TO FIX IT......AGAIN $150 to fix....am I the only one who thinks that's crazy...you guys are stuck inside the dam apple.... How about u guys be different? all u hear is apple this and apple that, you would think people would want to b different . Plain and simple APPLE IS A TOY. Bluetooth sucks, wifi takes for ever to connect, touch is garbage call quality is horrible and the battery life sucks but I guess playing games is worth it
    It's so cute how delusional and sheltered you are!

1) For someone who claims to be a Playbook rep, which would make people think (rightly or not and for the sake of RIM I hope it's NOT) that you represent Research in Motion in some way, you really need to present yourself in a professional manner and not like a 12 year old living-in-your-parents-basement-hopped-up-on-mountain-dew-playing-WoW fanboy. You are doing RIM no favours.

2) You really should actually educate yourself on other devices before you open your mouth and spout garbage. Bluetooth and reception is fine for me, no complaints from anyone, my wifi picks up the signal almost immediately, and my phone has been off charger since yesterday morning at 8 am and is at 55%. Yeah - SO horrible.

What makes me laugh is you say "touch is garbage" but can't seem to bring yourself to spell out those huge, time consuming words like 'you' or 'be'. Also, hate to break it to you, the Playbook is touch as well. I know, you claim to be a rep so you SHOULD know that, but the rest of your posts on this board have been so full of misinformation that I felt the need to make sure to state the obvious in case you weren't clear...

I don't know about anyone else, but if a rep for a product/company showed up talking about the competition like you have, I wouldn't buy from them if they were the last rep in the world. Of course, I don't for one second believe that you are actually a 'Playbook rep'. I'd like to believe that RIM or any company/telco would have better taste in who they have representing them to the public.

I love people who ***** about iPhone users being on CB and then troll the iPhone section.

Go team you, OP! You are the kewlest!

EDIT

Before I forget - my red BB Curve? It's black now. You know why? BECAUSE I DROPPED IT AND THE SCREEN/FRONT PLATE CRACKED SO I HAD TO GET REPLACEMENT HOUSING. One drop. 2 less than the times I have dropped my iPhone and my iPhone didn't break. And guess what? RIM said it wasn't covered by warranty and there wasn't insurance offered at the time. As far as $150 to fix? Um...in the States don't you guys have to pay a deductible to fix/replace items if they they are insured? On top of the monthly fee for the insurance?

I know JonathanK is a troll of the highest order but he isn't even making an effort...
    Last edited by reeneebob; 12-09-11 at 09:51 AM.
    12-09-11 09:44 AM
    Do you have insurance on your phone? What is the deductible? I'll bet it's $120-$150. In addition to your monthly $5.99 insurance premium.

So for 2 years and 2 replacements you'd pay $143.76 for premiums and $240-$300 in deductibles. $383.76-$443.76 total.

Compare to AppleCare+ at $99 for 2 years and $50 deductible (x2) = $199 total.

Who's worse off?

AND AGAIN ALL I HEAR IS "I ONLY HAVE TO PAY $150 TO FIX IT......AGAIN $150 to fix....am I the only one who thinks that's crazy...you guys are stuck inside the dam apple.... How about u guys be different? all u hear is apple this and apple that, you would think people would want to b different . Plain and simple APPLE IS A TOY. Bluetooth sucks, wifi takes for ever to connect, touch is garbage call quality is horrible and the battery life sucks but I guess playing games is worth it
    Last edited by xandermac; 12-09-11 at 09:55 AM.
    12-09-11 09:52 AM
    LOL i just realized the first comment to this thread should have been "Yes, it is."

"IPhone made out of Glass?" "Is the Earth Round?" "Is it Appropriate to Randomly Capitalize Words?" "Wow You is too Long a word it ExHausts Me."
    12-09-11 09:55 AM
    Not taking sides but the OP first posted this in the wrong place and it got moved. Although it was a non-needed thread to begin with. We that OWN the phone knew what we were buying along with 30 million other people this quarter..............

And if the OP believe that's how apple makes it's money maybe RIM can learn...............

Hmmm let's see I have TCE from VZW on BOTH of my iPhones.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 12-09-11 at 10:03 AM.
    12-09-11 09:59 AM
    I'd ask if you've ever even used an iPhone before, but I think I know the answer to that question already.

Trolls gonna troll.
    12-09-11 10:17 AM
    Isn't the OP a PB sales rep?

Do you come here to bash Apple because your device wont sell?

I know tons of people with an iPhone and NONE of them have ever broke the glass. It really is not an issue.
    reeneebob likes this.
    12-09-11 11:09 AM
    12-09-11 11:16 AM
    Offtopic regarding Applecare: someone said the iPhone insurance was less than Vzn with lower deductable. Is the coverage the same? I can get that online from apple.com right? Thanks, I figured I may as well get something useful from this trollthread.
    12-09-11 01:45 PM
    Applecare+ is $99 for two years of coverage and includes two replacements for accidental damage with a $49 deductible. It is only available on new devices at time of purchase.

Applecare is (or was) $79 and covered everything except accidental damage.

Applecare+ is far cheaper than the carrier alternative, providing that you only break your phone twice .

Personally, if i break the back of my phone i'll fix it myself for less than $20 and probably use one of the metal back plates that are available. I'll save applecare+ for front screen damage.

Also, remember that general support or device malfunction doesn't use up one of your "accidental damage" uses. Device malfunction is covered under the standard warranty and will get you a free replacement.

Offtopic regarding Applecare: someone said the iPhone insurance was less than Vzn with lower deductable. Is the coverage the same? I can get that online from apple.com right? Thanks, I figured I may as well get something useful from this trollthread.
    Last edited by xandermac; 12-09-11 at 01:57 PM.
    12-09-11 01:53 PM
    Rats, my wife got an iPhone mailed from Vzn like 3 weeks ago. We didn't really know about the Applecare+ deal (and Vzn obviously didn't put a sticker on the box pimping it lol). I would've bought it and cancelled the highpriced Vzn policy. I usually cancel that after a year anyway.
    12-09-11 02:18 PM
    Call Apple anyway they may do it.....
    12-09-11 02:31 PM
    Rats, my wife got an iPhone mailed from Vzn like 3 weeks ago. We didn't really know about the Applecare+ deal (and Vzn obviously didn't put a sticker on the box pimping it lol). I would've bought it and cancelled the highpriced Vzn policy. I usually cancel that after a year anyway.
    Thebignewt, you have up to 30days to purchase apple care plus for the 4s. I purchased my 4S from VzW on 11/4, and I wasn't sure at the time if I was going to purch AC+, but the rep told me I had till 12/3 to do so. On 11/30 I finally called apple and purchased the coverage for 2yrs $99. Total with tax was about $105.

So you or your wife, still have time to purch AC+.

I actually still kept VzW's total equip coverage for $10mthly because it covers for lost/stolen phones also, where as apple care plus does not.
    12-09-11 06:22 PM
    Call Apple anyway they may do it.....
    Haha....nice personalized title AP
    12-09-11 06:25 PM
    Wasn't that just for the first month of sales? They allowed AppleCare purchases after the sale for a little while to allow pre purchasers to get it added to their account. A byproduct was it allowed all purchasers to add it after the sale. But I thought that had ended in November? I hope you're right though. That would be awesome for bignewt.

Thebignewt, you have up to 30days to purchase apple care plus for the 4s. I purchased my 4S from VzW on 11/4, and I wasn't sure at the time if I was going to purch AC+, but the rep told me I had till 12/3 to do so. On 11/30 I finally called apple and purchased the coverage for 2yrs $99. Total with tax was about $105.

So you or your wife, still have time to purch AC+.

I actually still kept VzW's total equip coverage for $10mthly because it covers for lost/stolen phones also, where as apple care plus does not.
    Last edited by xandermac; 12-09-11 at 07:07 PM.
    12-09-11 06:55 PM
    Haha....nice personalized title AP
    Glad you like. Credit goes to AVT.

Sent from my MD276LL using Tapatalk
    avt123 likes this.
    12-09-11 07:22 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD