I rly wanna get the iPhone 4 but me being 18 I have to pay the security deposit and I just dont have that much money assuming I gotta pay for my bill on my dads family plan for this POS Storm. Sorry for ranting on here but just wish there was something I could do.

Any suggestions?
    09-07-10 01:58 AM
    Get a job? If that's how much you want an iPhone4. Otherwise, get a 3GS or something.
    09-07-10 08:55 AM
    As suggested, get a job, or save your pocket money or something. I'm younger than you but I paid for my 3GS a year ago when it was new.
    09-07-10 09:08 AM
    Look on the Marketplace here and bypass buying one from the store.
    09-07-10 09:49 AM
    Look on the Marketplace here and bypass buying one from the store.
    Looking on the market does nothing for the security deposit he has to pay to AT&T.

Best bet is just save up some money or see if your dad can open up the account for you as long as you pay the bill and then in a few months to a year he can transfer the liability over to you and then the account becomes yours.
    09-07-10 11:30 AM
    Looking on the market does nothing for the security deposit he has to pay to AT&T.

Best bet is just save up some money or see if your dad can open up the account for you as long as you pay the bill and then in a few months to a year he can transfer the liability over to you and then the account becomes yours.
    My mistake, guess I didnt realize you had to pay a security deposit just to set up an account now.
    09-07-10 11:44 AM
    Look around the house and see if you have anything that you don't want and post them on craigslist.
    09-09-10 08:21 AM
    Establish credit (if you don't have any). AT&T only requires that you have a security deposit if: 1. you have bad credit or 2. if you have no credit. They want to make sure you'll pay your bill. A "trust me, I'll pay it..." doesn't cut it. Depending on your "risk" they may require quite a bit. I have seen deposits range from 200-1000. If I was told I had to pay a deposit, I wouldn't do it.
    09-09-10 08:55 AM
    ^^^It will be easier for him to save some money for the security deposit. Establishing credit is no longer as easy as it used to be. Now, it is required for a person to be 21 to get a credit card or have a co-signer, so OP take one step at a time.

The good news is there is a solution, now start saving and you'll get your iphone 4. See if you have stuff around that you don't want/use anymore and sell it. Every dollar will count.
    09-10-10 02:02 PM
    I rly wanna get the iPhone 4 but me being 18 I have to pay the security deposit and I just dont have that much money assuming I gotta pay for my bill on my dads family plan for this POS Storm. Sorry for ranting on here but just wish there was something I could do.

Any suggestions?
    why not keep your phone and get the ipod Touch..
    it's basically the same thing except for the phone feature and the design..
    but you still get all the apps, the retina display, the facetime calling, and if you subscribe to a free VOIP.. you can actually use it to make calls over Wi-Fi...

as for the credit build up... we've all been in that situation..
    start with a " secured credit card" you deposit x amount.. you get x credit line..
    then they report to the bureau..
    after 6 months.. you now have a credit score as long as you pay your bills on time..
    Last edited by mark_rivers19; 09-10-10 at 06:28 PM.
    09-10-10 06:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD