10-02-11 09:50 PM
35 12
tools
    I think people need to realize that yes, while the iphone does show emails better, it really doesn't handle them better....before you all jump on me, let me explain...I'm one of those users who left BB late last year due to being frustrated with the slow bold....got an iphone4 and love it...however, try replying to an email to multiple people and attaching a document that you need all of them to refer to..you will not be able to. I tried copying and pasting the attachment and even though it shows in the email, no one receives or sees it...add to that the lack of being able to set up multiple email signatures natively on the iphone. That's right, you can only have one universal signature for all your email addresses - I have 2 work and one personal. Last, you can only run one exchange account at a time. So, I had to pick and choose which of my work accounts I wanted pushed and which I would be ok with polling for every x minutes. This tells you only one thing - both these phones have strengths and weaknesses. For the BB, you cannot beat the email handling. There are other minor issues - lack of reminders/tasks, lack of ability to set up conference calls directly to dial out (try entering a meeting access code!) and a few others. Again, you can make it work as I did, but yes, for email/business use, BB is the way to go. We will have to wait and see if iOS5 takes care of these issues....
    I agree with this although the features you are describing I don't have a use for, I can definitely see how others would rely on them. I like the email handling of the iPhone better because I like that I get the full email and that I can pinch to zoom it if I need to. Using gmail, I always get my email fast. I haven't had any issues thus far.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.650771,-88.167376
    09-15-11 02:01 AM
    Got to disagree with you there. I ended up having to switch away from BB based soley on the number of truncated emails I was receiving. I know RIM is all about data efficiency, but the cap they have on email size is ridiculously too low for this day in age.

That alone was a deal breaker for me.
    I don't think I ever had a truncated email in 2+ years. I've said this before on this forum, the emails the my blackberry can't handle the iphone/ipad can't handle either. I have to drag out my laptop to review/comment/change large word/excel files.

For me BB handles my thousands of emails much better than IOS.
    09-15-11 07:59 AM
    Important to note is the improvements coming to BB BIS email early next month.

http://crackberry.com/research-motio...is-41-features
    09-15-11 07:09 PM
    Important to note is the improvements coming to BB BIS email early next month.

http://crackberry.com/research-motio...is-41-features
    Those improvements don't seem to be significant.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.650727,-88.167365
    lssanjose likes this.
    09-15-11 07:41 PM
    Those improvements don't seem to be significant.

---
    I am here: Google Maps
    perfect for me....need to view shop drawings and larger pdf/archs/eng drwgs. When I'm away from the office I cannot forward a truncated email to a customer or to a nearby desktop for viewing. The increase in size limit is just what i need.
    09-15-11 08:03 PM
    perfect for me....need to view shop drawings and larger pdf/archs/eng drwgs. When I'm away from the office I cannot forward a truncated email to a customer or to a nearby desktop for viewing. The increase in size limit is just what i need.
    Will the increase be enough though?
    09-17-11 05:02 PM
    I think people need to realize that yes, while the iphone does show emails better, it really doesn't handle them better....before you all jump on me, let me explain...I'm one of those users who left BB late last year due to being frustrated with the slow bold....got an iphone4 and love it...however, try replying to an email to multiple people and attaching a document that you need all of them to refer to..you will not be able to. I tried copying and pasting the attachment and even though it shows in the email, no one receives or sees it...add to that the lack of being able to set up multiple email signatures natively on the iphone. That's right, you can only have one universal signature for all your email addresses - I have 2 work and one personal. Last, you can only run one exchange account at a time. So, I had to pick and choose which of my work accounts I wanted pushed and which I would be ok with polling for every x minutes. This tells you only one thing - both these phones have strengths and weaknesses. For the BB, you cannot beat the email handling. There are other minor issues - lack of reminders/tasks, lack of ability to set up conference calls directly to dial out (try entering a meeting access code!) and a few others. Again, you can make it work as I did, but yes, for email/business use, BB is the way to go. We will have to wait and see if iOS5 takes care of these issues....
    I thought Apple addressed the Exchange issue so that you can run two at the the same time, both pushed? Or am I completely mistaken?

I agree with you on all other points.
    09-18-11 12:38 AM
    I thought Apple addressed the Exchange issue so that you can run two at the the same time, both pushed? Or am I completely mistaken?

I agree with you on all other points.
    The iPhone runs multiple push exchange accounts no problem. However, I agree with the other points - whilst my iPhone is the better handset for pretty much anything else you throw at it - internet, camera, music, business apps (create a PDF, better calendaring), VOIP, maps etc - the one area it simply cannot compete with my old BlackBerry in is corporate email (and, to be honest, messaging generally).

I get about 100-150 emails a day, many with attachments. Now the iphone in some respects handles the email better - it downloads some of the attachments in advance so I can read word documents or PDFs when I am on the underground/metro without first having to download, and it renders HTML better BUT it is dreadful at quick and efficient email triage as it doesn't properly support things like smart-forward/smart-reply protocols, so if I forward an email from my handset with a big attachment, not only does the iPhone have to download the whole attachment and then upload it for forwarding, it messes up the formatting. If you're travelling and in a low coverage area, that can mean the difference between a 10 sec email forward and an email forward that takes 10-15 mins or simply doesn't happen.

Also you can't just add attachments into the email - sure if you are in DocsToGo or some app, you can send by email, but it would be great simply to add something as an attachment to your current draft, or a contact, or a picture or whatever. Little things like that may be dull or not of interest to your average consumer (and why would they be...) but to a corporate who is sadly beholden to his/her email like me, it just makes the day that much easier if you don't have to worry unduly about your email.

I love my iPhone in many respects and use it for work now as my exclusive device but only because I am usually not too far from my laptop or desktop for any really important emailing needs. If I had to rely on the email of the iPhone alone, I'd probably go back to my trusty BB and get an iPad to supplement it for the more zippy stuff.

It therefore depends on how you use your email as to which is a better emailing platform.
    lssanjose likes this.
    10-01-11 02:27 PM
    The iPhone email is extremely reliable. Probably the same or slightly better than BB mail.
    10-01-11 09:47 PM
    @Mach I'm with you. I dislike email handling on iOS and use webmail exclusively. My trusty s2 helps me deal with the hundreds of emails a day from my bes. As you say for the zippy stuff I use the iPad. For the critical emails I have my laptop close at hand when editing large docs is the order of the day.
    10-02-11 09:50 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD