For those that have switched from BB to iphone, how reliable is iphone email, about the same?
    Any regrets?
    09-01-11 03:04 PM
    I'm still pretty new to the iphone, 3 weeks in, but so far, here are my opinions:

No truncated emails, and easier view and navigate on the iphone.

Grouping emails and I think, simple things as replying to "all" are better on the BB.

I like the look and feel of the layout on the iphone a little better.

If set to push, you get email pretty quickly on the iphone, in seconds. On my BB, on a BES server, it hit my phone before my computer screen. Seriously, splitting hairs here. Yes, BB faster. Do I miss any emails? NEVER. (some people apparently have claimed this, I've yet to see that.)
    09-01-11 03:16 PM
    I've used BB for 5 years now and my contract is up.
    I went into the VZW store and looked at an iphone first and then went over to see the new 9900.
    I'm not sure if I'm just bored of the BB interface or what, but it really left me unimpressed for the 10 minutes I spent on both of them.
    But, I also use an ipad, so I keep thinking I should stay with BB to have the best of both worlds.
    But, that iphone is pretty slick.
    Ugggggh, decisions decisons.
    09-01-11 03:20 PM
    I've used BB for 5 years now and my contract is up.
    I went into the VZW store and looked at an iphone first and then went over to see the new 9900.
    I'm not sure if I'm just bored of the BB interface or what, but it really left me unimpressed for the 10 minutes I spent on both of them.
    But, I also use an ipad, so I keep thinking I should stay with BB to have the best of both worlds.
    But, that iphone is pretty slick.
    Ugggggh, decisions decisons.
    Same here, I was in the exact boat. Truth is, if they'd released the 9850 a month ago, I'd probably have it. My BB died, and I needed to get something, so I gave the iphone a shot. It's different, make no mistake, but easy to use. "Simple" as the BB fanboys will tell you. LOL.

Eh, it's just a phone, but I feel your pain. I'm still catching myself missing things about my BB, but really, the more I use the iphone, the more I enjoy it.

No reboots, and if I do, (have tested it) it takes less than 40 seconds.
    No hourglass spin.
    Able to actually browse the internet, check scores, watch a youtube video, etc, without wanting to throw the phone.
    APPS GALORE. Yes, there is a ton of garbage, and yes, you'll waste some money on it. ( I have ) BUT.... they're cheap, some are very useful, some are, yes, fun. I find myself paying attention to any commercial on the radio or TV that says, "app for...." knowing if it makes sense for me, I can go get it. When I had my BB, I just tuned out, knowing there was a 90% chance it wasn't available.

Give it a shot for awhile, see if you like it. If not, you can sell it and go back. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.
    09-01-11 03:28 PM
    I went from a BB Pearl to a Bold 9700.
    When I got the 9700 I was blown away by it.
    I guess when I went to see the 9900 I was expecting to be blown away. And I was, but it was by the iphone.
    I think if the call reception is improved on the iphone 5 I might try one. Otherwise it's back to thinking it over.
    09-01-11 03:40 PM
    I've really had no problems with call reception. I just noticed you're with At&T though, so depending on your area, a valid concern. My area, AT&T sucks, I have friends who hate it.

Call quality? I'd say about even, maybe a slight edge to my old Storm2, but not enough to make an issue out of it.
    09-01-11 03:52 PM
    I have an ipad and due to the way the ipad handles email, I elected not to get active sync installed on it. I had gmail and aol installed in the email client, but I didn't like it, so aol is in the email client and I use gmail.com to get my google mail.

My BB is my email workhorse, but those I know who have active sync on their iphones/ipads say it's okay. Very few issues with non-delivery.

I have pushed turned off so it doesn't kill the battery, and I check email manually.
    09-01-11 03:57 PM
    It's funny, you can go crazy reading these forums with all the different opinions on them.
    I had my Pearl on Verizon and switched to AT&T for the 9700 because it wasn't offered on Verizon.
    I still have another phone on Verizon and my BB with AT&T.
    From reading all the AT&T horror stories on here, I thought for sure I would be returning the 9700 within the 30 days.
    But, I actually like my AT&T service better than the Verizon.
    Different strokes for different folks I guess!
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    09-01-11 03:58 PM
    Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Pretty much can answer 90% of the posts on this forum, and wish more people listened to those words.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    09-01-11 04:42 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I started with a BB8310 a few years ago. Now I've had the 9700 for a little over a year & I love it. But when my contract expires next Feb, I am seriously contemplating going with the iPhone 5. Like someone else said, I don't know if I'm just getting a little bored or what. I've been a staunch RIM/BB supporter. But I feel ready for a change. I think. Because of my business & my kids, the email & texting is VERY important.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-11 09:16 PM
    I switched a year ago and it took me at least 6mts to finally get use to my iPhone. I love the email service via mobileme (iPhone) quick and pushed-- plus you can view it web based whereas on the BB -BES it isn't web-based. Now since OS7 came out I'm sporting the 9810 and love the call quality in my area (ATT) vs the call quality on the iPhone4 (ATT) which sucks in my opinion.... so now I'm using the BB9810 for calls only and the iPhone4 is like my mini ipad. No regrets--- well yes, I wished I stayed with the BB because now I'm able to see the difference in the two phone and sometimes I feel like a traitor to the other BB lovers in my fam.
    09-02-11 01:53 AM
    I switched a year ago and it took me at least 6mts to finally get use to my iPhone. I love the email service via mobileme (iPhone) quick and pushed-- plus you can view it web based whereas on the BB -BES it isn't web-based. Now since OS7 came out I'm sporting the 9810 and love the call quality in my area (ATT) vs the call quality on the iPhone4 (ATT) which sucks in my opinion.... so now I'm using the BB9810 for calls only and the iPhone4 is like my mini ipad. No regrets--- well yes, I wished I stayed with the BB because now I'm able to see the difference in the two phone and sometimes I feel like a traitor to the other BB lovers in my fam.
    You don't need to feel ashamed... you did what was best at the time

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-02-11 02:30 AM
    Bes and bb work much better than iPad and active sync. As I said previously the email client on the bb for bes is just the best.
    09-02-11 07:02 AM
    Bes and bb work much better than iPad and active sync. As I said previously the email client on the bb for bes is just the best.
    Got to disagree with you there. I ended up having to switch away from BB based soley on the number of truncated emails I was receiving. I know RIM is all about data efficiency, but the cap they have on email size is ridiculously too low for this day in age.

That alone was a deal breaker for me.
    lssanjose and Accidental Post like this.
    09-03-11 11:58 AM
    I could be wrong but I think you can change the truncation size in BES.
    09-04-11 10:34 AM
    I could be wrong but I think you can change the truncation size in BES.
    In my case it didn't matter. I was a BIS user.
    spark032207#WN likes this.
    09-04-11 10:42 AM
    I think people need to realize that yes, while the iphone does show emails better, it really doesn't handle them better....before you all jump on me, let me explain...I'm one of those users who left BB late last year due to being frustrated with the slow bold....got an iphone4 and love it...however, try replying to an email to multiple people and attaching a document that you need all of them to refer to..you will not be able to. I tried copying and pasting the attachment and even though it shows in the email, no one receives or sees it...add to that the lack of being able to set up multiple email signatures natively on the iphone. That's right, you can only have one universal signature for all your email addresses - I have 2 work and one personal. Last, you can only run one exchange account at a time. So, I had to pick and choose which of my work accounts I wanted pushed and which I would be ok with polling for every x minutes. This tells you only one thing - both these phones have strengths and weaknesses. For the BB, you cannot beat the email handling. There are other minor issues - lack of reminders/tasks, lack of ability to set up conference calls directly to dial out (try entering a meeting access code!) and a few others. Again, you can make it work as I did, but yes, for email/business use, BB is the way to go. We will have to wait and see if iOS5 takes care of these issues....
    09-08-11 09:31 AM
    I'm in the same boat. I started with a BB8310 a few years ago. Now I've had the 9700 for a little over a year & I love it. But when my contract expires next Feb, I am seriously contemplating going with the iPhone 5. Like someone else said, I don't know if I'm just getting a little bored or what. I've been a staunch RIM/BB supporter. But I feel ready for a change. I think. Because of my business & my kids, the email & texting is VERY important.

I have a 9700 which I love for email and even texting. I had gotten an iPhone 3GS cheap and played with it and now I have the new iphone and the 9700. I find myself using the iphone for browsing the internet or opening links. On my 9700, I would constantly get a message that the page is to big and is closing...grr. I am on Tmo and even with the slower speeds, I love it. Since I am on the family plan, I pay $15 a month for the iphone unlimited date (on EDGE) and 500 minutes so I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I still prefer the BB for reading and answering emails though. I got used to carrying 2 phones.
    09-08-11 09:19 PM
    Can't include an attachment from within iOS Mail program. Instead you've got to go to each individual program where the file exists (say, Pages or Photos) and then initiate email from there - with each individual file! Just how counter-intuitive is that?

This is so unlike BB's capability and is hardly crazy science - and by all reports and reviews of iOS 5, this has not been dealt with at all.
    09-09-11 07:41 AM
    I have a 9700 which I love for email and even texting. I had gotten an iPhone 3GS cheap and played with it and now I have the new iphone and the 9700. I find myself using the iphone for browsing the internet or opening links. On my 9700, I would constantly get a message that the page is to big and is closing...grr. I am on Tmo and even with the slower speeds, I love it. Since I am on the family plan, I pay $15 a month for the iphone unlimited date (on EDGE) and 500 minutes so I feel like I have the best of both worlds. I still prefer the BB for reading and answering emails though. I got used to carrying 2 phones.
    Are you like switching sim cards each time? I also use a 9700 but I can switch to an iPhone but don't know if I can handle edge speeds after using 3G on the 9700. Well it's not really 3G since the signal always fluctuate between 3G and edge but most of the time, it's 3G.
    09-09-11 07:47 AM
    Are you like switching sim cards each time? I also use a 9700 but I can switch to an iPhone but don't know if I can handle edge speeds after using 3G on the 9700. Well it's not really 3G since the signal always fluctuate between 3G and edge but most of the time, it's 3G.
    No I do not switch each time. I have 2 SIMs because I have a 4 line family plan so the extra line (which is the iPhone) only costs me $15 per month which is 500 minutes and unlimited EDGE data (2 gig high speed, the rest unlimited EDGE and we can't get 3G anyway). It's really not bad. It's fine actually. With my 9700 there are many pages I cannot open and I end up texting the links to the iPhone. I use a lot of iPhone apps, browse a lot, text frequently and use GPS regularly and the speed is fine. I'm not a huge video watcher while out and about but I listen to Pandora all the time. Any movie watching, I do on wifi, light video is fine on EDGE. In a few instances when I needed to get on laptop, I even tethered to the iPhone and is was OK too....in a pinch. If you are going to switch, consider the mail. My opinion is that I cannot type long mails on the iPhone. I use the BB for that. Other people have gotten used to it. For me it is challenging and I prefer the mail on a BB big time. Another thing, if you switch to the value plan, it is 49.99 for an individual line that includes talk, text and web. So you can try the iphone. If it doesn't work for you, you can sell it and go back to using the Berry. If it does work, you can unlock the Berry at freemyblackberry.com for free and then sell that one.

Hope this helps you.
    09-11-11 01:42 PM
    I hate how my ipad can't delete all of my emails at one time, other than that (I hope ios5 helps that) I can't wait for the iphone 5

09-12-11 12:37 AM
    ^^^^Compared to my BB IMHO email handling is not as good. I no longer use the native mail facility of iOS, I use webmail as needed. (This means I'm really limited in terms of sending outbound attachments, another big issue of mine.)
    09-12-11 07:56 AM
    I would imagine there is an app like K9 for e-mail on iOS which would be better.
    09-12-11 12:25 PM
    nothing does good push email like bb.but the iphone email is not all that bad.maybe ios 5 may improve on that.but for bb its their bread and butter.for iphone,it may or may not be because emails take a while to come in.but i can see apple improving on that in the future.
    09-12-11 09:30 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD