Im A T-Mobile Customer So I Have No Worries. Im Sure Ill Buy One Straight Up Anyway. But How Do You Feel(ATT Customers) About ATT Enforcing The New Early Termination Fee Of $325 If You Buy A iPhone Under A Plan Or Renewel?
    05-22-10 08:07 PM
    I have no desire to leave AT&T, so it doesn't really bother me.
    05-22-10 08:23 PM
    I'm not going anywhere with att. Even if I were, i'm buying the phone outright so i could leave for free
    05-22-10 08:25 PM
    Same here no reason to leave- iphone and no issues with the service.

And you have to realize they give you a $600 iphone for $200 (or near $700 for $300). It only makes sense the ETF should be higher to keep people from getting cheap phones and skipping town or selling them off to other countries for profit.

Most people dont cancel their contracts to pay an ETF so its not like ATT's motivation is to make money off this. People themselves cause this kind of action to be taken when they get phones cheap on contract and sell them off or pay for one month of service and the $175 ETF then sell it off for $6-700.

In my mind, a contract is a contract and youre signing your word to honor that contract. You wouldnt walk into the car dealer and say oh I want to break my lease the dealership is giving a better deal on my car, or try to get out early without paying a hefty fee- the total rest of the money due on the contract. People should feel lucky they dont make customers honor the full payment due left on the contract and instead give an ETF option that is usually only a 2-3 months worth of service in cost.
    05-22-10 08:50 PM
    Im A T-Mobile Customer So I Have No Worries. Im Sure Ill Buy One Straight Up Anyway. But How Do You Feel(ATT Customers) About ATT Enforcing The New Early Termination Fee Of $325 If You Buy A iPhone Under A Plan Or Renewel?
    curious, but how will you use it? doesn't the new iphone use microsims...
    05-22-10 09:07 PM
    Apparently, AT&T are getting ready for all those customers that will upgrade, and thus use the ETF feature to get an newer iPhone in June! Hence the June 1st change date...

Scary...
    05-22-10 09:25 PM
    curious, but how will you use it? doesn't the new iphone use microsims...
    Unlock it of course and use a microsim t-mobile sim.

How to make a Micro Sim out of a traditional SIM - MicroSIM Shop
    05-22-10 09:30 PM
    The only problem with Verizon and AT&T charging these high ETF fee's is that it can take more than 30 days for a thorough test drive of the network so if someone experiences many problems outside of the 30 day window then they are stuck with that high fee. I honestly dont think Verizon or AT&T will get away with these fees for too long. I know the FCC is already conducting an investigation into Verizon and now that AT&T has done the same Im sure the FCC will really turn up the heat on them. Not to mention one of the Senators has already stated their displeasure with these ETF fees and is going to be looking into it, and you know how that can turn out. Of course people like me that dont break contracts dont have anything to worry about. I do however think both Verizon and AT&T are pro-rating the ETFs unfairly. If you cancel your AT&T contract on the 23rd month you still have $95 left? Same thing with Verizon, its not pro-rated equally between 24 months.
    05-22-10 09:56 PM
    I think that customers who end their service after the 30 day mark and before the end of the contract should pay the remaining cost of the device and that's it. So, if the device was $450 and you paid $200 up front, then you should be responsible for the remaining $250. That seems fair to me. I think that it is a gift for them to prorate it. I'm never one to side with the carriers, but I think that we are suffering from the dishonesty of others. Consumers have taken advantage and now we have to compensate. Sucks, but it keeps us honest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 11:19 PM
    Well many people were buying iPhones for $199 then terming the contract for $175. It was a good deal if you ask me. Well they kinda needed to do this and Verizon is already doing it anyways.

I've been with At&t since June 2002 and have no intentions on leaving so it doesn't bother me.
    05-22-10 11:20 PM
    I never pay ETFs anyways... muahaha.

But yeah, it definitely for the iPhone and other high end devices coming that people buy, cancel and re-sell for higher.
    05-22-10 11:34 PM
    The only problem with Verizon and AT&T charging these high ETF fee's is that it can take more than 30 days for a thorough test drive of the network so if someone experiences many problems outside of the 30 day window then they are stuck with that high fee. I honestly dont think Verizon or AT&T will get away with these fees for too long. I know the FCC is already conducting an investigation into Verizon and now that AT&T has done the same Im sure the FCC will really turn up the heat on them. Not to mention one of the Senators has already stated their displeasure with these ETF fees and is going to be looking into it, and you know how that can turn out. Of course people like me that dont break contracts dont have anything to worry about. I do however think both Verizon and AT&T are pro-rating the ETFs unfairly. If you cancel your AT&T contract on the 23rd month you still have $95 left? Same thing with Verizon, its not pro-rated equally between 24 months.
    30 days is more than enough. You dont get 30 days to return a car; you test drive it for a few minutes and you have to base your $20,000+ purchase on 5 minutes. People just need to learn to think before they act and use the 30 days theyre given to use the phone and service. 4 weeks should be more than enough time to use the device.

$95 is more than fair, it doesnt have to be prorated equally. An ETF is a gift as is. Look at other contracts in your life. You lease a car, youre liable for the TOTAL monthly payments and interest due on the contract. The ETF is a gift to customers as is and prorating even more so. Carriers could easily make the remaining cost of the phone and monthly service fee for the remainder of the contract due at the time of cancellation and itd be perfectly good and legal.

I think that customers who end their service after the 30 day mark and before the end of the contract should pay the remaining cost of the device and that's it. So, if the device was $450 and you paid $200 up front, then you should be responsible for the remaining $250. That seems fair to me. I think that it is a gift for them to prorate it. I'm never one to side with the carriers, but I think that we are suffering from the dishonesty of others. Consumers have taken advantage and now we have to compensate. Sucks, but it keeps us honest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Thats the main motivation IMO, people playing the system for too long and costing ATT money, especially on iphones which are even more heavily subsidized than any other of their devices.
    05-22-10 11:35 PM
    Just don't break contracts. As much as I hate to see ETFs at all, they are irrelevant to those that don't break contracts.

I've broken a contract once and will hopefully never do it again.
    05-23-10 08:11 AM
    30 days is more than enough. You dont get 30 days to return a car; you test drive it for a few minutes and you have to base your $20,000+ purchase on 5 minutes. People just need to learn to think before they act and use the 30 days theyre given to use the phone and service. 4 weeks should be more than enough time to use the device.

$95 is more than fair, it doesnt have to be prorated equally. An ETF is a gift as is. Look at other contracts in your life. You lease a car, youre liable for the TOTAL monthly payments and interest due on the contract. The ETF is a gift to customers as is and prorating even more so. Carriers could easily make the remaining cost of the phone and monthly service fee for the remainder of the contract due at the time of cancellation and itd be perfectly good and legal.

Thats the main motivation IMO, people playing the system for too long and costing ATT money, especially on iphones which are even more heavily subsidized than any other of their devices.
    Great points everyone. There should be rare reasons to break your contract and pay an ETF. I have been with AT&T for a while and have no reason to change. People are just trying to make money off smartphones and now the party is over.
    05-23-10 08:43 AM
    The ETF fees dont affect me but either way, the FCC obviously isnt happy with Verizon increasing their ETFs to $350 and Im just as sure they wont be happy with AT&T following suit. Im sure Sprint will be not too far behind and T-Mobile will eventually give in. Then Im sure the FCC will be really happy about that, I dont think they take tacit collusion too lightly.
    05-23-10 08:45 PM
    I always had the idea that the carriers should not be subsidizing the phones at all. Have a list of phones compatible with their service and sell at MSRP prices. But that would have to be done by all carriers and the average person is too cheap to pay full price so that will never happen. At least not in US or Canada. Make the plans more affordable and have NO contracts. Essentially a prepaid service with all the regular features of post paid but no obligation for a long term.
    05-23-10 10:32 PM
    I always had the idea that the carriers should not be subsidizing the phones at all. Have a list of phones compatible with their service and sell at MSRP prices. But that would have to be done by all carriers and the average person is too cheap to pay full price so that will never happen. At least not in US or Canada. Make the plans more affordable and have NO contracts. Essentially a prepaid service with all the regular features of post paid but no obligation for a long term.
    Problem like you said is most manufacturers wouldnt be happy with that because they wouldnt sell anywhere near the volume of high end and smartphones as they do now. Theyd all cost $400-600 which the average person isnt going to lay down up front, even if the plans all dropped a percentage of their monthly cost.

Its the American way, but stuff you couldnt normally afford up front and pay more monthly to afford it. No one thinks twice about the cost in the long run if the total out the door is cheap.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-23-10 at 10:43 PM.
    05-23-10 10:38 PM
    Its the American way, but stuff you couldnt normally afford up front and pay more monthly to afford it. No one thinks twice about the cost in the long run if the total out the door is cheap.
    But for the consumer who knows they are content with using a phone for 2 years why would they pay retail? They can just get the phone $300+ cheaper by signing the contract. I know for me, I get a new phone every 12 months at the subsidized price regardless. Verizon gives me an early upgrade after 12 months, every time. Since I am content with using the same phone for 12 months AND I never plan on leaving Verizon, I know it doesnt make sense for me to pay retail. I do possibly plan on getting a AT&T phone for my business however and I want to pay retail for that because I dont want another contract with a carrier.
    05-24-10 11:21 AM
    The ETF fees dont affect me but either way, the FCC obviously isnt happy with Verizon increasing their ETFs to $350 and Im just as sure they wont be happy with AT&T following suit. Im sure Sprint will be not too far behind and T-Mobile will eventually give in. Then Im sure the FCC will be really happy about that, I dont think they take tacit collusion too lightly.
    If you're waiting on the FCC to make the change then keep waiting
    05-24-10 12:07 PM
    But for the consumer who knows they are content with using a phone for 2 years why would they pay retail? They can just get the phone $300+ cheaper by signing the contract. I know for me, I get a new phone every 12 months at the subsidized price regardless. Verizon gives me an early upgrade after 12 months, every time. Since I am content with using the same phone for 12 months AND I never plan on leaving Verizon, I know it doesnt make sense for me to pay retail. I do possibly plan on getting a AT&T phone for my business however and I want to pay retail for that because I dont want another contract with a carrier.
    +1

Annual upgrades FTW. If I feel like upgrading to a new phone next year, I will.
    05-24-10 12:27 PM
    I think you VZW folks hit on an important point about annual upgrades. That's my only beef with ATT since I switched- not getting an annual upgrade. I'm sure a lot of people break their contract to get a new, updated phone, not necessarily to make money on eBay or CL. Two years is a lifetime in the mobile world.
    05-24-10 06:22 PM
    I just buy a new one full price or a little cheaper on ebay and sell my old phone off and end up paying maybe a $1-200 difference at the most. Especially iphones, they retain their value quite well.
    05-24-10 07:54 PM
    OT, but quick question. Doesn't it take you longer to Type Like This? I never understood why people did this. It's almost frustrating to read.
    05-24-10 08:24 PM
    I just buy a new one full price or a little cheaper on ebay and sell my old phone off and end up paying maybe a $1-200 difference at the most. Especially iphones, they retain their value quite well.
    Yea thats what most of us cell phone addicts do. Buy one and sell the old one to cover half the cost of the new one.
    05-25-10 06:56 AM
    when my family switched from t-mobile to att
    we got our iphones and changed the t-mobile plan to the lowest plan possible
    it was actually cheaper than getting a termination fee
    05-25-10 02:47 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD