Apple may have calculated that the increased revenue from releasing the iphone around christmas on verizon would be substantially more than the cost of breaching their contract with at&t. And like others have stated, it is possble that apple would release a device that has all possible radios inside.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 09:49 AM
    Seeing how Apple is a forward thinking company, if they were to develop a device with all possible radios inside do you really think they would just limit the iPhone to one additional company?

I don't think they would, there's millions of subscribers out there that would like an iPhone but for whatever reason won't make the jump to AT&T.

Apple may have calculated that the increased revenue from releasing the iphone around christmas on verizon would be substantially more than the cost of breaching their contract with at&t. And like others have stated, it is possble that apple would release a device that has all possible radios inside.

05-12-09 01:12 PM
    Seeing how Apple is a forward thinking company, if they were to develop a device with all possible radios inside do you really think they would just limit the iPhone to one additional company?

I don't think they would, there's millions of subscribers out there that would like an iPhone but for whatever reason won't make the jump to AT&T.
    & there are so many people who feel this way. They want the phone, but not the provider who has it. I cant recall for many post/sites/individuals on the street, who've said they'd get the iPhone in a heartbeat if THEIR carrier had it.

You all know you've met someone or read it somewhere that has said this.
    05-12-09 01:21 PM
    & there are so many people who feel this way. They want the phone, but not the provider who has it. I cant recall for many post/sites/individuals on the street, who've said they'd get the iPhone in a heartbeat if THEIR carrier had it.

You all know you've met someone or read it somewhere that has said this.
    My contract with Sprint is just about up. I looked into the iPhone with AT&T, when I saw the cost of the service I opted to stay where I am.

$30 Data Plan
    $99 Unlimited Voice
    $20 Unlimited Text

$149.00 for the exact same thing I get from Sprint for $99.

As much as I would like the iPhone because its much more compatible with my Mac, I'm not willing to put out the extra $50 a month.
    05-12-09 01:32 PM
    This is all quite interesting, but I'm in good shape no matter what happens. My NE2 is June 2010 and I have a device now that is working really well except for only 1 thing, which ain't bad at all....

And if this does happen, I don't see VZW coming in at a price below 250 with a 2 yr contract....

Like he says, June 8 is right around the corner. If he's right, he gets a star, if not oh well....
    05-12-09 02:01 PM
    This is all quite interesting, but I'm in good shape no matter what happens. My NE2 is June 2010 and I have a device now that is working really well except for only 1 thing, which ain't bad at all....

And if this does happen, I don't see VZW coming in at a price below 250 with a 2 yr contract....

Like he says, June 8 is right around the corner. If he's right, he gets a star, if not oh well....
    It seems to be the thing that for anyone that post some sort of information, that person has got to be a liar or a lying troll.

But if someone comes along who has "credibility" post the EXACT same thing, these same flamers would be on bended knee.
    05-12-09 02:08 PM

I don't see why they would limit sales to one additional company either. Apple already sells the GSM iPhone all over the world. I'm no expert, and if I'm wrong I'll stand corrected, but to my knowledge the U.S. is the only region where Apple has an exclusivity agreement in place with a major carrier.

The only kicker is that for Apple to sell the iPhone with additional U.S. carriers, these carriers would have to agree to revenue sharing agreements on calling/data plans, as well as to pay Apple handset subsidies.

Would the revenue benefit of selling iPhones outweigh the associated costs for T-Mobile and Sprint, along with other smaller U.S. carriers? Who knows. Apple seems to be interested in market share, and the surest way to expand their U.S. market share is to open up the iPhone to additional carriers. Only so many AT&T customers will pony up and buy an iPhone.
    05-12-09 02:44 PM
    I don't see why they would limit sales to one additional company either. Apple already sells the GSM iPhone all over the world. I'm no expert, and if I'm wrong I'll stand corrected, but to my knowledge the U.S. is the only region where Apple has an exclusivity agreement in place with a major carrier.

The only kicker is that for Apple to sell the iPhone with additional U.S. carriers, these carriers would have to agree to revenue sharing agreements on calling/data plans, as well as to pay Apple handset subsidies.

Would the revenue benefit of selling iPhones outweigh the associated costs for T-Mobile and Sprint, along with other smaller U.S. carriers? Who knows. Apple seems to be interested in market share, and the surest way to expand their U.S. market share is to open up the iPhone to additional carriers. Only so many AT&T customers will pony up and buy an iPhone.
    I've often said that maybe Verizon has seen the light; meaning how much money AT&T made off the iPhone. I really would love to know the real reason why Verizon would now even consider the iPhone; esp after they so blatantly said no.
    05-12-09 02:52 PM
    I've often said that maybe Verizon has seen the light; meaning how much money AT&T made off the iPhone. I really would love to know the real reason why Verizon would now even consider the iPhone; esp after they so blatantly said no.
    That's what I'm wondering. AT&T is trying to extend their contract with Apple to the point of offering $300 on each iPhone sold. Clearly there's money being made here.

Certainly, Apple is making out pretty well with its AT&T partnership; the carrier reportedly offered Apple a $300 subsidy on each iPhone sold. But if AT&T was willing to go that far, Apple stands to clean up by negotiating contracts with other carriers.
    05-12-09 02:57 PM
    AT&T's most recent financial results support the fact that they're making plenty of money via the iPhone. I can see Apple using the "threat" of competition to sweeten their terms with AT&T, but Apple stands make more money by opening up to other carriers. Which sounds better...selling iPhones to new & existing AT&T customers with a $300 subsidy, or tapping into a huge new U.S. customer base at a $150 or $200 subsidy per phone? I have a feeling the sheer volume of iPhones sold would make Apple significantly more money than a $300 subsidy from AT&T.

I'm not saying that the AT&T customer base is saturated with iPhones, but realistically Apple can only sell so many with one carrier. Not everyone is going to upgrade to the newest model, and eventually the new customers AT&T garners from other carriers looking to buy an iPhone will slow down.

I want an iPhone. I've had AT&T service before. For me, the pros (iPhone) don't outweigh the cons (AT&T). I'm positive there are plenty of other potential iPhone customers out there who share my sentiments.
    05-12-09 03:19 PM
    I can see the iPhone coming to Verizon in the future, if Apple gets what they want. I just can't see it this summer/year. I can't see Apple spending the money for an LTE ready iPhone yet. Especially for just ONE carrier, that doesn't even have a significant LTE network yet. What will the slogan be? "Buy the LTE ready iPhone for Verizon now! You will be able to use LTE nationally in 1 year!". Who the h*ll would buy it when EVERYONE knows a new iPhone will be out the next year. It makes NO sense. And I really doubt Apple is going to make an iPhone with all technologies (CDMA/GSM/LTE) available in it. The phone would be WAY too expensive.

The point is, if they do make an iPhone for Verizon NOW, I don't see why they would include LTE, when LTE is going to start being rolled out in 2010, and 6 months later a new iPhone will be out. It really makes no sense at this point. But if it is true, that phone is going to be really high priced. Especially if they make it a world phone.
    05-12-09 07:58 PM
    ^^^ agree.
    05-12-09 11:28 PM
    I say short verizon stock, it will never happen!
    05-13-09 10:22 AM
    With all the iPhones being used on T-mobile I think Apple is smart enough to figure out there are millions of customers who want their product but will not go to AT&T.

Again why would they limit their sales potential by only releasing the iPhone to one other company? Fiscally it doesn't make sense to release a product to 89 million consumers when you have an additional 100 million + consumers at your disposal.
    05-13-09 12:02 PM
    iPhone is released on many carriers all over the world. It's only in the US that it's exclusive to AT&T.

I would imagine it went something like this,

Apple: "AT&T, we want to put the iPhone on your network, but control all aspects of how it's sold, pricing, data plans, warranty exchanges, and even dip into your sales for the data plans you sell"

AT&T: "Ok.. but we want exlusive rights for ## years to sell the device solely by us, as the only US carrier to sell it in America"

Apple: "Deal.. let's sign the contract and make sweet sexy time on the beach"
    05-13-09 12:13 PM
    iPhone is released on many carriers all over the world. It's only in the US that it's exclusive to AT&T.

Apple: "AT&T, we want to put the iPhone on your network, but control all aspects of how it's sold, pricing, data plans, warranty exchanges, and even dip into your sales for the data plans you sell"

AT&T: "Ok.. but we want exlusive rights for ## years to sell the device solely by us, as the only US carrier to sell it in America"

I lol'd at this one thanks for makin a few moments in my work day that much funnier
    05-13-09 12:32 PM

That's good, except the original conversation happened between Cingular and Apple. AT&T was forced to live up to the contract when they purchased Cingular or pay a hefty fee to void the contract.

In the long run it turned out to be a good deal for AT&T considering that iPhone users spend twice as much as the average user on a plan.
    05-13-09 01:02 PM
    Just called a good friend at verizon. The guy is lying there is no talk about the iphone coming this year. He said he heard rumors about late 2010. Its to bad that people can sound so convincing. Again this is a rumor killer. The iphone is not coming out this year.

05-13-09 01:26 PM
    Just called a good friend at verizon. The guy is lying there is no talk about the iphone coming this year. He said he heard rumors about late 2010. Its to bad that people can sound so convincing. Again this is a rumor killer. The iphone is not coming out this year.

And you wanna believe the same people at verizon who have been saying since jan. that an update is coming out for the Storm? Most people who work in verizon stores know absolutely nothing....
    05-13-09 02:19 PM

No offense to you or your good friend but he doesn't kno Jack. Nobody at the store level including managers kno anything about anything. They get all there info the same we do...engadget...boy genius...crackberry. I bet dms kno lot less then u would think. I can guarantee if or when a verizon iphone comes nobody will kno. Maybe like the OP said a room of twenty people maybe. We should all kno by now Apple is very very secretive.

05-13-09 03:42 PM

Your friend does not have a clue as to what is happening. Please do not talk to store employees as they are never given information early. I will be proven right in a very short time. Of course he wouldn't know anything, as stated in my first post only a few people do know what is happening. But, you all will know really soon just be patient.
    05-13-09 05:33 PM

i asked my friend about the possibility of time travel. He said it was possible. now that I am fully convinced, I'm off to build a flux capacitor out of kinex, saran wrap and jell-o
    05-14-09 05:34 AM

While I definitely call BS on much of what has been said so far, your evidence to the counter is just as useless and lame. If you can't cite a credible source, your information may as well be written in play-doh.
    05-14-09 09:35 AM
    Verizon's LTE wont be voice until after 2010.

Verizon's '09/early '10 LTE will be data only, with aircards being the first round.
    Very very true.
    05-14-09 09:41 AM
    2010 it will be here! Crazyness.
    05-14-09 10:48 AM
548 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD