Without really stepping into a storm (no pun intended) It is official that VZW will be introducing 2 new IPHONE LIKE devices this year. Read into that what you will as i feel its IPHONE like because of what some of you have already mentioned and that is, the IPHONE is exclusive to ATT right now. And I just want to comment that the VZ marketing employee who stated that VZ and Apple were not talking is 100% incorrect. These 2 firms have been in (close) contact for the last 8 months. I know "onthelowlow" is taking a lot of heat but he is pretty accurate with what he reported. The only correction I would make is again VZW will introduce a IPHONE like device from Apple. Also, the VZW 4g network (LTE) is just around the corner and not only for VZ and you will see it in 2009...
    05-26-09 10:09 AM
    Without really stepping into a storm (no pun intended) It is official that VZW will be introducing 2 new IPHONE LIKE devices this year. Read into that what you will as i feel its IPHONE like because of what some of you have already mentioned and that is, the IPHONE is exclusive to ATT right now. And I just want to comment that the VZ marketing employee who stated that VZ and Apple were not talking is 100% incorrect. These 2 firms have been in (close) contact for the last 8 months. I know "onthelowlow" is taking a lot of heat but he is pretty accurate with what he reported. The only correction I would make is again VZW will introduce a IPHONE like device from Apple. Also, the VZW 4g network (LTE) is just around the corner and not only for VZ and you will see it in 2009...
    The Verizon employee from marketing that posted here said that she would know something like this; well before any of us would.
    I havent searched, but outside of this forum, is there anything posted that they have been in talks for this long?
    05-26-09 10:31 AM
    It is confirmed that iphone is coming to vzw...date? Very soon...there is a training for all emp on the internal training intranet website. Stay tune folks...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sorry but with out proof or evidence this is how rumors get started.
    05-26-09 10:35 AM
    The Verizon employee from marketing that posted here said that she would know something like this; well before any of us would.
    I havent searched, but outside of this forum, is there anything posted that they have been in talks for this long?
    Thank you for the clarification. As far as open comments on VZ and Apple talks you will be hard pressed to find any articles that they are in discussions only because of the sensitive nature behind the situation. I believe it was USA today who first went public about this and since then VZ execs have eluded to these discussions without confirming them completely, if that makes sense. I believe BusinessWeek actually quotes the VZW Chief who states in the last 6 months he has spoken with Apple...
    Last edited by adawg1203; 05-26-09 at 10:52 AM.
    05-26-09 10:47 AM
    My brother has a friend that works in the data department at VZW. I know, standard story - anyways, he said he had to sign a confidentiality statement about the iphone recently. I don't know if I believe it, I figured someone else would have said something to BGR.
    05-26-09 11:53 AM
    It is coming. I should know!
    05-26-09 12:15 PM
    Yes.. you should know right..

I mean, if the CEO of Verizon can run an 8800 on their network, than they'd know that an iPhone is coming.......... dot dot dot.
    05-26-09 01:33 PM
    I've heard but havent heard and am not at liberty to say this, RIM is paying off VZW to kill their 2010 contract with Apple. My brothers sisters dogs cousin said so, but you didn't hear from me.
    05-26-09 02:20 PM
    Go check out this netcast from MacBreak. They are also confirming that a Verizon Executive is saying that Apple will anounce a Verizon iPhone this June. The TWiT Netcast Network with Leo Laporte.
    Last edited by quartzan; 06-01-09 at 05:43 PM.
    05-27-09 05:18 PM
    Go check out this netcast from MacBreak. They are also confirming that a Verizon Executive is saying that Apple will anounce a Verizon iPhone this June. They won't let me post the link but you can get to it by going through the theiphoneblog . com or http : //twit.tv/mbw142.
    Not exactly..

We�ve heard rumors that an iPhone nano/lite/mini could be coming, and coming to Verizon alongside an iPhone-esque iTablet/iPad.
    05-27-09 05:27 PM
    Come on now read the post. I said check out the netcast from MacBreak Weekly and that is where they confirm that they have talked to a Verizon Executive and he said that they were going to announce something in June. Don't just read what theiphoneblog says but listen to the actual netcast from MacBreak. You can get to the netcast by clicking on the highlighted MacBreak Weekly from the post on theiphoneblog.
    Last edited by quartzan; 05-27-09 at 06:28 PM.
    05-27-09 06:23 PM
    I have already informed you all that there will be a big announcement on this June 8th. The iPhone is coming to Big V this year. Much sooner than you all think.
    05-27-09 07:00 PM
    I have already informed you all that there will be a big announcement on this June 8th. The iPhone is coming to Big V this year. Much sooner than you all think.
    You can say it until you turn blue. I'm sure by now you know that most people around here don't believe a thing until it actually happens. June 8th is right around the corner......I'm staying tuned.
    05-27-09 07:03 PM
    Just good news for Apple and Verizon customers. I can care less if it goes to Verizon as I still prefer my simultaneous voice and data, faster speeds (until LTE) and don't having to deal with Verizon. Better hope Apple security standards are up to par and google maps security is good because Verizon will probably charge you to use the GPS.
    05-27-09 07:15 PM
    why does everyone have this premonition that verizon charges people to use GPS? they charge you for their GPS service and that's it. if you have a smartphone and a data plan (which go hand in hand now) you are free to use telenav and pay them for it if you want, or google maps or blackberry maps for free. there are tons of apps in the blackberry app world that use the GPS, too. some are free some arent, but regardless, you aren't paying VZW for it unless you use VZNav.
    05-27-09 07:23 PM
    why does everyone have this premonition that verizon charges people to use GPS? they charge you for their GPS service and that's it. if you have a smartphone and a data plan (which go hand in hand now) you are free to use telenav and pay them for it if you want, or google maps or blackberry maps for free. there are tons of apps in the blackberry app world that use the GPS, too. some are free some arent, but regardless, you aren't paying VZW for it unless you use VZNav.
    Oh really? You can only use BlackBerry Maps and VZnav. All other GPS programs are not up to Verizons security standards. Try downloading a free GPS program, it wont work (at least not the majority of them).

The GPS on the VZW 8330 can be used with BlackBerry Maps only (in addition to VZ Nav still).

i'm looking forward to open GPS on the Tour.
    it will probably not be open just like the Storm isn't...VZW says its open but they refuse to give access to their aGPS servers which use cell towers to triangulate your position and speeds up the time it takes GPS to pinpoint your location..of course VZ navigator has access to the aGPS servers
    correct! People seem to think that the storm has an unlocked gps. It actually has a dual mode GPS and the agps is still locked. The standalone GPS is still working on the storm and locks on locations without network assistance. It just doesn't have the affectiveness that aGPS has and was intended to provide.

As for the 8330, its 100% locked to3rd party apps. Don't let that update last year fool you. They allowed its nework to work with blackberry maps, but that is it! Nothing else other then VZs paid navigator works with the aGPS chip
    And that's a problem? We have a right to allow or disallow anything accessing our network. After all, we pay to maintain it, we build, repair and manage the towers, we have the netops people who test areas coverage, etc...

All of you who want aGPS capability unlocked, bother the companies that make the GPS to make it meet our security standards.
    The last quote is from a person that works for Verizon. So GPS might be unlocked, but the better one, aGPS is locked to Verizons VZNav.

This is all from this thread- http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/ve...5/index31.html
    05-27-09 08:24 PM
    I don't know why there is so much hate between Verizon camps and AT&T camps. Its a personal choice. In my area AT&T drops to many calls so I had to go to Verizon, I am sure Verizon has crappy areas too. I do laugh at all the AT&T peeps that hold on to the iPhone as some kid to a toy that is not willing to share. The funny thing is they would benefit from more carriers with the iPhone, more competition means lower costs to the consumer.
    05-27-09 08:48 PM
    I don't hate Verizon for their coverage, I hate Verizon for their locking of devices. It is changing now though since they are starting to unlock phones. I use to have Verizon, and I just do not like the way they do things and have screwed me over in the past. I had Sprint, never screwed me but the service sucked. Now I have AT&T and everything is fine. I am happy for those who are happy with whatever carrier is working for them.
    05-27-09 08:51 PM
    It looks as if Verizon is finally starting to open up to new types of phones on their network. Maybe this shows that they finally have swallowed their pride and are willing to accept an iPhone from apple as is.

"A breaking Reuters report has just dropped one of the biggest cellular bombshells of the year: Verizon Wireless, America's largest mobile operator, will soon be carrying Palm's Pre"

and

"the company's CEO Lowell McAdam also chimed in that it'll be carrying Android devices"

from engadget
    05-28-09 06:53 PM
    It looks as if Verizon is finally starting to open up to new types of phones on their network. Maybe this shows that they finally have swallowed their pride and are willing to accept an iPhone from apple as is.

"A breaking Reuters report has just dropped one of the biggest cellular bombshells of the year: Verizon Wireless, America's largest mobile operator, will soon be carrying Palm's Pre"

and

"the company's CEO Lowell McAdam also chimed in that it'll be carrying Android devices"

from engadget
    Not certain how this is considered a bombshell when Verizon has carried Palm's phones before.
    05-28-09 07:13 PM

and

Palm, Google where is Apple?
    05-28-09 07:25 PM
    Well the android phone is something completely new to Verizon and also a phone with the functionality of the Pre something that is suppose to be close to that of the iPhone is also something new to the Verizon. The Storm that they have now comes no where close to it.
    05-28-09 07:25 PM
    Just goes to show Verizon has given up on the iPhone killer the "Storm" altogether and is now banking on the Pre and G1. It also shows VZW doesn't see the iPhone coming this year and so they need something to even compete with it in the meantime.
    05-28-09 07:27 PM
    Just goes to show Verizon has given up on the iPhone killer the "Storm" altogether and is now banking on the Pre and G1. It also shows VZW doesn't see the iPhone coming this year and so they need something to even compete with it in the meantime.
    Not necessarily, if you look At&t also stated that they are looking to get ahold of the Pre as well as introduce Android phones into their lineup and they already have the iPhone. Maybe that shows that they will soon be losing their exclusivity and are building a good lineup to counter that. Just a thought.
    05-28-09 07:31 PM
    Not necessarily, if you look At&t also stated that they are looking to get ahold of the Pre as well as introduce Android phones into their lineup and they already have the iPhone.
    Link? Source? Thanks.
    05-28-09 07:33 PM
548 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD