So we are getting different stories from VZW workers. I hope VZW customers aren't waiting for the iPhone this summer cause it ain't gonna happen.
    05-11-09 05:46 PM
    I work for vzw and I can categorically confirm that there have been no trainings regarding the iphone or anything remotely close to the iphone...It will be 2010 before any of this talk ramps up.
    You may work for Verizon but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. If I could produce the proof needed without putting my job at risk I would. The Iphone will be coming this year as you shall soon see. As I stated earlier there were only a total of 20 employess that were invited to this info session.

I have no reason to start any false topics just to have people be dissapointed. I am giving you straight facts. Like I said earlier June 8 is right around the corner.
    05-11-09 05:57 PM
    So you think there will be a Verizon LTE iPhone, when Verizon wont be even bringing a voice LTE device until at least after 2010?

Their early LTE devices will be data cards only.
    05-11-09 06:02 PM
    From what I've read online, the early LTE implementation will be data cards and data usage on new devices. CDMA will serve as the voice network until the complete LTE network is up and running across the 700mHz spectrum Verizon purchased.
    05-11-09 06:36 PM
    and Apples Annual WWDC conventions starts June 8th. So Im keeping my fingers crossed but am lookin at it like its not happening in hopes of me not getting let down! Apple is one of the more secretive companies. I honestly doubt if there was a Verizon Iphone coming no would know until it actually hit stores. And maybe a room of 20 execs!
    Last edited by weswilkes; 05-11-09 at 06:45 PM.
    05-11-09 06:42 PM
    You may work for Verizon but you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. If I could produce the proof needed without putting my job at risk I would. The Iphone will be coming this year as you shall soon see. As I stated earlier there were only a total of 20 employess that were invited to this info session.

I have no reason to start any false topics just to have people be dissapointed. I am giving you straight facts. Like I said earlier June 8 is right around the corner.
    Yes, and you ran out the door of the 20 employee meeting and hopped right on crackberry to tell the world. Silly us for thinking you're full of it. This whole LTE iphone idea that you've got is pretty weak too, at least for 2009.
    05-11-09 07:11 PM
    Yes, and you ran out the door of the 20 employee meeting and hopped right on crackberry to tell the world. Silly us for thinking you're full of it. This whole LTE iphone idea that you've got is pretty weak too, at least for 2009.
    Actually I didn't run right out of the meeting I waited 2 days to post this information(sarcasm). Look I understand the skepticism but why is it so hard to believe that there will be a new Iphone coming out on Verizon this year. Nobody knows what the agreement is between AT&T and Apple but them. All I can say is that whatever the agreement is Apple looks to not really care because the Verizon Iphone is coming.

Lastly it was just touched on, the for voice the Iphone will still use CDMA but data will be on the new LTE network. I can only inform you of what I know to be true, whether you believe me or not makes no difference. June 8th all will be revealed and we will see what is true and what's not.
    05-11-09 08:36 PM
    i will get one if its true... was going to jump ship in june and get one anyways.... might as well stay with VZW.
    05-11-09 10:04 PM
    i will get one if its true... was going to jump ship in june and get one anyways.... might as well stay with VZW.
    You will not be dissapointed.
    05-11-09 10:24 PM
    OMG! Why don't ya'll cut it out. You do nothing to make news feel welcome around here. Every time someone post something that's apparently to the benefit of some of you, ya'll come off like if this were a street fight, you'd throw punches and ask questions later.

If you don't believe the guy, fine...move on.

And I'm almost certain that none of you clamoring for him to either reveal himself or post pics would be the 1st to put your jobs on the line for anyone!!!
    05-11-09 11:45 PM
    Ok I am not taking his side but playing devils advocate. But given Apples track record is it to far fetched they would release a CDMA in the next couple of months and if your right then in mid 2010 release a LTE or 4G verision? I mean they did release the Iphone 3G just a year later after the original so I believe the LTE arguemant is kind of pointless. It would actually benefit Apple more to get millions of VZW customers to get a Iphone now just to have the same millions upgrade to the LTE version later next year, right? So fighting over when LTE will and wont be released is kind of a non issue. And I too would like to see more proof but his lack of more proof can only mean two thing either his full of you know what or he is right? In either case who cares. Personally I hope he is right but if not then oh well. There will be another new Verizon Iphone rumor right around the corner
    Last edited by weswilkes; 05-11-09 at 11:54 PM.
    05-11-09 11:51 PM
    OMG! Why don't ya'll cut it out. You do nothing to make news feel welcome around here. Every time someone post something that's apparently to the benefit of some of you, ya'll come off like if this were a street fight, you'd throw punches and ask questions later.

If you don't believe the guy, fine...move on.

And I'm almost certain that none of you clamoring for him to either reveal himself or post pics would be the 1st to put your jobs on the line for anyone!!!
    because they are blatant IMPOSSIBLE lies. There CANNOT be an LTE iphone this year, read the quotes from one of VZW's top chiefs themselves. There is no possible way to have an LTE consumer device in 2009 let alone the iphone without a LTE network rolled out!!! How are you going to release a huge device on LTE which hasnt even been rolled out and in testing phases to the masses? Its simply BS attention seeking.

I call BS when i see it when supported by FACTS, not some noob saying im mr VZW bigshot secret meeting 1/20 employees. I mean besides the NDA on something like that, VZW's CTO quotes have totally debunked the possiblity. I trust the CTO and facts more than some nobody.

This is as stupid as claiming a square peg can fit in a round hole. Its just physically not possible by any bit of evidence out there.

Ok I am not taking his side but playing devils advocate. But given Apples track record is it to far fetched they would release a CDMA in the next couple of months and if your right then in mid 2010 release a LTE or 4G verision? I mean they did release the Iphone 3G just a year later after the original so I believe the LTE arguemant is kind of pointless. It would actually benefit Apple more to get millions of VZW customers to get a Iphone now just to have the same millions upgrade to the LTE version later next year, right? So fighting over when LTE will and wont be released is kind of a non issue. And I too would like to see more proof but his lack of more proof can only mean two thing either his full of you know what or he is right? In either case who cares. Personally I hope he is right but if not then oh well. There will be another new Verizon Iphone rumor right around the corner

ok let me break it down. This person is saying there will be an iphone this year, 2009, that uses CDMA for voice and LTE for the data. 1) ATT has a US exclusive until summer 2010 minimum if that contract isnt renewed 2) the LTE data network isnt even built out yet, its still in testing phases in maybe 2 or 3 cities right now, how would you sell a huge device like an iphone without a data network to use!!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-12-09 at 12:06 AM.
    05-11-09 11:58 PM
    Stuaw I can ask you the same thing. Show me proof of the exclusive terms AT&T has with Apple. For every article stating that I can find another against it. In all honesty your claims are just as outlandish as his.
    05-12-09 12:08 AM
    ok then this must be that new mystical VZW LTE nationwide network thats going to pop up by the end of 2009, 6.5 short months. Theres proof enough how dumb the assertion is.

ATT.com "San Antonio, Texas, June 9, 2008

AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) today announced it will be the exclusive U.S. provider of the new iPhone 3G, details of which were outlined earlier today at Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference in San Francisco."
    AT&T- News Room

June 2008 + 2 years (contract legnth of subs) = WOW June 2010, shocker. Its not rocket science.

WSJ April 15, 2009 "But AT&T's exclusive deal to carry the iPhone in the U.S. expires next year, according to people familiar with the matter, and Mr. Stephenson is now in discussions with Apple Inc. to get an extension until 2011."

Wallstreet Journal and ATT good enough?
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-12-09 at 12:19 AM.
    05-12-09 12:09 AM

1) ATT has a US exclusive until summer 2010 minimum if that contract isnt renewed
    Not that it matters in the debate but the exclusivity contract between Apple and AT&T is up December 2009.
    05-12-09 12:10 AM
    Not that it matters in the debate but the exclusivity contract between Apple and AT&T is up December 2009.
    Show me proof of this and I will personally introduce you to Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny
    05-12-09 12:16 AM
    yeh either way still impossible.

WSJ says 2010 too: "According to the Wall Street Journal, AT&T is reportedly urging Apple Inc to extend its exclusive US sales agreement for the iPhone till 2011. Under the present deal between the two companies, AT&T’s three-year deal - beginning with the iPhone launch in June 2007 - for retaining exclusive sales rights pertaining to the iPhone will come to an end in 2010."
    AT&T urging Apple to extend its iPhone-exclusive agreement till 2011 | TopNews United States

Either way its totally moot because THERES NO LTE NETWORK FOR A LTE IPHONE IN 2009. Some people have some thick skulls here believing this impossible nonsense

"hey guys theres gonna be a Blackberry 99000 on ATT LTE this year! I just went to a super secret 5 person ATT meeting with the CEO, CTO, etc today!" Oh wait, theres no ATT LTE yet!
    Last edited by stuaw11; 05-12-09 at 12:33 AM.
    05-12-09 12:21 AM
    yeh either way still impossible. Id figure they took 2 years from the 3g launch June 2008-June 2010, the length of the contracts subs would sign.

WSJ says 2010 too: "According to the Wall Street Journal, AT&T is reportedly urging Apple Inc to extend its exclusive US sales agreement for the iPhone till 2011. Under the present deal between the two companies, AT&T’s three-year deal - beginning with the iPhone launch in June 2007 - for retaining exclusive sales rights pertaining to the iPhone will come to an end in 2010."
    AT&T urging Apple to extend its iPhone-exclusive agreement till 2011 | TopNews United States

Either way its totally moot because THERES NO LTE NETWORK FOR A LTE IPHONE IN 2009. Some people have some thick skulls here.

"hey guys theres gonna be a Blackberry 99000 on ATT ZXHSPA this year!" I just went to a super secret 5 person ATT meeting with the CEO, CTO, etc today!
    You may be correct the agreement may have been extended when they introduced the 3g iPhone; however it's never been officially announced. The original agreement ended in 2008 and was extended until the end of 2009 (Report: AT&T looks to extend iPhone pact | Apple - CNET News) not the 5 year 2012 rumored all over the net. Guess we'll have to wait and see if 2010 is official or not.

I do know AT&T is trying to extend the contract further because iPhone "users spend almost double on rate plans then the average customer," from AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson. The quoted text is directly from the CEO.

No matter what others say the iPhone is a money maker for AT&T. Although this claim by the CEO is laughable. "The iPhone has repositioned AT&T as the premier wireless brand in the world."
    Last edited by ERDude; 05-12-09 at 01:29 AM.
    05-12-09 12:37 AM
    You may be correct the original agreement may have been extended when they introduced the 3g iPhone; however it's never been officially announced. The original agreement ends in 2009 not the 5 year 2012 rumored all over the net. If it's a true 2 year agreement that would make the end in June although there are reports that it ends December of 2009. Guess we'll have to wait and see if 2010 is official or not.

I do know AT&T is trying to extend the contract further because iPhone "users spend almost double on rate plans then the average customer," from AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson. The quoted text is directly from the CEO.

No matter what others say the iPhone is a money maker for AT&T. Although this claim by the CEO is laughable. "The iPhone has repositioned AT&T as the premier wireless brand in the world."
    its no biggy honestly, either date you pick or either argument ive made you take its just impossible yet people in here want to chase a dream that isnt there. Rumors are great but this is flat out impossible by known facts, mainly theres no network in place to support VZW LTE nationwide anytime soon or this year. Take the exclusivity for whatever date it may be its still not ending until minimum end of this year more likely mid-2010.
    05-12-09 12:45 AM
    weswilkes, the only point that I am making is either the OP is lying or telling the truth; it's really just that simple.
    I have more respect for people around these forums that know how to refute what was said; instead of attacking the person who said it. After a while, that sh!t gets old!
    05-12-09 12:49 AM
    its no biggy honestly, either date you pick or either argument ive made you take its just impossible yet people in here want to chase a dream that isnt there. Rumors are great but this is flat out impossible by known facts, mainly theres no network in place to support VZW LTE nationwide anytime soon or this year. Take the exclusivity for whatever date it may be its still not ending until minimum end of this year more likely mid-2010.
    That was my point in my original post. It ain't possible until the exclusivity agreement between ATT and Apple comes to an end.

Verizon had their chance to be the iPhone company and refused. I seriously doubt Apple would break their legal agreement to bring the phone to Verizon. Just wishful thinking on the part of Verizon customers.
    Last edited by ERDude; 05-12-09 at 01:16 AM.
    05-12-09 01:13 AM
    Show me proof of this and I will personally introduce you to Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny
    Time for you to make your introductions. http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/iph...ml#post2532860

I'll tell you what I'll save you the embarrassment. You can make the introductions when Verizon gets the iPhone in 2009, see I'm being nice I won't hold you to the June date, I'm giving you an extra 6 months.
    05-12-09 01:15 AM
    Greetings All,

I've been following this post with interest, and have decided to put some things out there for readers to consider.

As someone who formerly worked for Apple (quite a while ago, am no longer under NDA's, and am in a completely unrelated profession now), I do know from experience that Apple likes to plant "canary traps" with their up-coming hardware and software. It goes like this: they have many of us under NDA's and show different groups of individuals slightly different pre-production hardware (specs are slightly different) as well as a slightly differently-worded documentation. Then, when leaks appear, Apple watches for specific information to be leaked and thus narrows it down VERY quickly to who had access to that specific info. It can mean a very quick "good bye" from them. The original poster may have some info, but cannot leak much info without possibly falling into this "canary trap".

Also, since I've switched from my first-gen iPhone (had to, I'm in a very remote area with no GSM towers within 100 miles in any direction -- and Verizon is the ONLY carrier where I'm at), I've noticed that BlackBerry technology/software, as well as RIM corporate thinking is very short-sighted and linear. Apple pays their employees a LOT of money to think outside the box, and I mean REALLY outside the box. I will be the first to admit that the Storm's hardware technology goes beyond that of the current iPhone (and I believe next revision of it). However everyone is missing the fact that the iPhone just works, especially for Mac users -- but the syncing, memory issues, OS speed, is TOTALLY integrated and seemless. Yes, there are a few glitches, but those glitches are more missing features than something that interrupts the actual usability of the phone and apps. I'm long outta' the tech world, so I'm one of those people who really likes technology, but doesn't want to spend hours tweaking hybrid, leaked OS'es just to get better reliability/usability out of an expensive phone.

That being said, with the possibility of an upcoming VZW iPhone release (however remote some may think it is), try to consider "What Would Apple Do?" Don't think just a "VZW iPhone". What would be different, yet give you the features of an iPhone while still giving you something that doesn't interfere with AT&T's iPhone 3G?

Just an idea I'm tossing around (and it's hard to predict Apple's future tech because they've got some of the best, most innovative tech minds in the world working for them):

1) An iPhone "lite" that may be the same form factor, but doesn't have all of the "features" of the iPhone 3G.

2) Paired with a 10-inch touch screen tablet, that has more "laptop-like" features than the iPhone 3G but doesn't reach the level of a MacBook Air. The iPhone "lite" would be a CDMA/EVDO phone, address book, calendar, and would tether to the "iTablet" to provide the basic internet services (Mail, Safari, videos, iTunes, etc.). This way, when traveling around your home city for an afternoon you could take a simple phone, but if you were going away for a short weekend/couple day business trip you can have even greater portability/ingenuity than a MacBook Air and non-tetherable iPhone 3G.

I'm purely speculating here, but I like to avoid arguing/bashing the yes it'll happen/no it can't happen issues. I prefer to have some "fun" and try to think of wild ways Apple can come up with new, paradigm-shifting, awesome technology for us. After all, that is what they do!

Heck, maybe some of you can come up more interesting yet plausible ideas than I have.
    Last edited by williamssd; 05-12-09 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar Issues
    05-12-09 01:36 AM
    because they are blatant IMPOSSIBLE lies. There CANNOT be an LTE iphone this year, read the quotes from one of VZW's top chiefs themselves. There is no possible way to have an LTE consumer device in 2009 let alone the iphone without a LTE network rolled out!!! How are you going to release a huge device on LTE which hasnt even been rolled out and in testing phases to the masses? Its simply BS attention seeking.

I call BS when i see it when supported by FACTS, not some noob saying im mr VZW bigshot secret meeting 1/20 employees. I mean besides the NDA on something like that, VZW's CTO quotes have totally debunked the possiblity. I trust the CTO and facts more than some nobody.

This is as stupid as claiming a square peg can fit in a round hole. Its just physically not possible by any bit of evidence out there.

ok let me break it down. This person is saying there will be an iphone this year, 2009, that uses CDMA for voice and LTE for the data. 1) ATT has a US exclusive until summer 2010 minimum if that contract isnt renewed 2) the LTE data network isnt even built out yet, its still in testing phases in maybe 2 or 3 cities right now, how would you sell a huge device like an iphone without a data network to use!!
    You obviously have no idea what is really going on. Do you think that the CTO is not blowing smoke when he hinmself already knows that LTE is being tested in major cities across the nation as we speak. If you seriously think that there is no testing going on and that it is really far fetched for Apple to build a phone that will work on the LTE network(that is once again currently being tested in major cities right now)you are seriously trippin. As I keep stating time will tell. Please understand that the phone is already in the hands of higher up people within Verizon who are extremely ecstatic about the speed and fluidity of the Iphone on the Verizon network.

Like someone said earlier if you don't believe it so be it. I can't believe that it is so hard for people to believe that Apple a forward thinking company could not and have not built a phone with future technology in it. The LTE network is up, of course we know there has not been a full roll out but it is up nonetheless. Open your mind and use that brain of yours and you will see that this actually makes sense.
    05-12-09 02:15 AM
    Couple of thoughts:

1) Wherever there are talented lawyers, exclusivity agreements, i.e. contracts, can be broken. If Apple and Verizon want to sell some sort of iPhone together badly enough, they'll figure out a way to make it happen without having to pay AT&T a boatload of money for breach of contract.

2) How far-fetched would it be for Apple to manufacture a dual or tri-mode iPhone that runs CDMA/EDGE, but has LTE capability when the new network is indeed available? This would amount to more R&D dollars up front, but wouldn't require them to manufacture two different Verizon devices if the phone is indeed in the works.

3) Regarding the Verizon CTO rattling off LTE implementation dates: Apple is known for surprises. It wouldn't shock me at all if Jobs, even in his weakened state, ran out on-stage at the WWDC to announce some new product. If Apple really was working on some sort of iPhone implementation with Verizon, do you think Apple would be very happy if Verizon's CTO was spouting off, providing useful information to bloggers and pundits? No, Apple wouldn't. IMO they prefer smoke & mirrors prior to unveiling new products.

I'm not trying to come up with ways to justify hoping the iPhone comes to Verizon, I just think it's plausible. I'm not holding my breath either.
    05-12-09 08:34 AM
548 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD