is it true?????????????????????????
    05-20-09 02:19 PM
    i won't believe that until i see something on tv or actually see something in a vzw store saying it is coming.

im going to say false.
    05-20-09 02:22 PM
    Agreed, I'm a i'll believe it when I see it kinda guy...
    05-20-09 02:29 PM
    I believe it has been confirmed that vzw and apple are "in talks" about introducing a "vphone" but that doesn't mean its coming

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 02:31 PM
    I dont think so any time soon.
    05-20-09 02:31 PM
    If true this would move BB to third fiddle in the verizon smartphone hierarchy. It isn't true so put your shorts back on.

05-20-09 02:46 PM
    The VZW/Apple talks are about netbooks - nothing more.

05-20-09 02:46 PM

And what he said too.

05-20-09 02:47 PM

That's not true. There are rumors of an iPhone "Lite" coming out because it is different enough from the normal iPhone that it does not impede on the contract between At&t and Apple. Some people say it might drop at the end of this summer. If there is something happening, we'll hear about it at WWDC.
    05-20-09 02:50 PM
    This is from the USAToday @ the end of April:
    Verizon (VZ) and Apple (AAPL) are discussing the possible development of an iPhone for Verizon, with the goal of introducing it next year, people familiar with the situation say.
    It would mark the first time Apple has produced a version of the iPhone for a CDMA wireless network, which is different from AT&T's GSM technology. Vodafone, co-owner of Verizon Wireless, already sells the iPhone in Europe.

The New York-based telecom entered into "high-level" discussions with Apple management a few months ago, when CEO Steve Jobs was overseeing day-to-day business, these sources say. They declined to be named because they aren't authorized to speak publicly.

Jobs is on medical leave until June, but the conversations are continuing, they say. Apple declined to comment on the specific question of whether it is talking to Verizon. The company provided USA TODAY with a prepared statement, culled from comments to investors by COO Tim Cook last week: "We're very happy with the relationship that we have (with AT&T) and do not have a plan to change it." Cook added that "CDMA doesn't really have a life to it after a point in time."

Verizon is in the process of upgrading its network to a fourth-generation wireless technology known as "LTE." It is possible to build phones that work on both CDMA and LTE networks.

AT&T (T) has exclusive U.S. distribution rights to the iPhone into 2010, though specifics aren't known. The deal was struck in 2006, when the iPhone was still on the drawing board. Many telecom analysts expect AT&T to try to persuade Apple to extend the contract for another year, at least.

Should Verizon succeed, it would be a big loss for AT&T, says Roger Entner, head of telecom research for Nielsen. "Breaking the (iPhone) exclusivity with AT&T is a huge thing," he says. "That would send shivers into AT&T's stock and senior leadership."

By linking arms with Verizon, Entner says, Apple would gain access to its 80 million customers. While a few may already have an iPhone (some people have more than one carrier), the bulk don't.

Regardless, Entner says, Apple would likely maintain ties with AT&T. The biggest winners, by far, would be consumers, he says.

"They could pick the network they wanted to use: AT&T's or Verizon's," he says. "It would finally give consumers choice, and choice is a good thing."

Entner says Verizon would fare well in that fight. While AT&T's 3G network is "somewhat faster," he says, Verizon's network "is generally perceived to be better in terms of reliability."

The biggest loser? "AT&T," Entner says. "It would be a reversal of fortune, because a lot of people who have been disappointed in AT&T's network but love the iPhone would probably" jump to Verizon.

Apple would also benefit, he adds, "because that means they'd have to buy a new iPhone."
    05-20-09 02:57 PM
    Good quote bunny, that gave people actual visual reference. I like it.
    05-20-09 03:03 PM
    i won't believe that until i see something on tv or actually see something in a vzw store saying it is coming.

im going to say false.
    i second that
    05-20-09 03:05 PM
    It will happen next year, no sooner and it will be LTE capable.
    05-20-09 03:19 PM
    I've said it before, if Verizon does begin carrying the Iphone, they will dominate as a carrier IMO...
    05-20-09 03:20 PM
    From Engadget last month:
    "Hot on the heels of yesterday's reports of Apple and Verizon dealings comes some tantalizing, but still unconfirmed, new details from BusinessWeek. According to the publication, the gang in Cupertino has prototyped two devices for the carrier. The first one is a smaller, less expensive device that's been dubbed as "iPhone lite" by someone who's apparently seen it in person."

That's the thing I was talking about in my post on page one.
    05-20-09 03:44 PM
    In case you hadn't noticed, Verizon already dominiates the market.

Looks like they will rule the world then...
    05-20-09 03:47 PM

im going to say false.
    I Agree, But TWO did I say 2 of my friends told me today that they saw a commercial that shows the iphone coming to Big Red in June, Yes JUNE as in next month. And they are both with vzw. Has anyone else seen that commercial
    05-20-09 03:52 PM
    Looks like they will rule the world then...
    And we all know we should shun those with aspirations to rule the world.

I wonder if AT&T has any good deals going on.

05-20-09 03:58 PM
    its not totally unlikely - is it set in stone? no

but originally apple did go to verizon in hopes of putting it on there network so its not out of the question but as many have said before me it currently is all speculation
    05-20-09 04:00 PM
    I Agree, But TWO did I say 2 of my friends told me today that they saw a commercial that shows the iphone coming to Big Red in June, Yes JUNE as in next month. And they are both with vzw. Has anyone else seen that commercial

If there was a commercial on tv it would be showering on all kinds of websites right now including places like BGR and such...

which it is not so I doubt the commercial was played on tv
    05-20-09 04:01 PM
    Lol, your TWO friends are having a good time pulling your leg. VZW would not be the ones announcing that. It would come as an Apple announcement at WWDC in three weeks. I wish your friends were right, though
    05-20-09 04:08 PM
    when that will happen it will be a good move for apple to take more market share..
    05-20-09 04:09 PM
    That's not true. There are rumors of an iPhone "Lite" coming out because it is different enough from the normal iPhone that it does not impede on the contract between At&t and Apple. Some people say it might drop at the end of this summer. If there is something happening, we'll hear about it at WWDC.
    So far those rumors seem to hinge on Apple supposedly wanting to branch out - and it looks like they want to do a Dare/Voyager-type of phone, which would accomplish just that.

After all, the market for advanced devices is still bigger than the smartphone market and probably always will be.

But, in the end, we are only talking about rumors.

05-20-09 04:11 PM
    So far those rumors seem to hinge on Apple supposedly wanting to branch out - and it looks like they want to do a Dare/Voyager-type of phone, which would accomplish just that.

After all, the market for advanced devices is still bigger than the smartphone market and probably always will be.

Yeah, it makes sense for Apple to want to branch out. I mean, Blackberry is on every carrier, surely Apple wants a piece of that...pie

Maybe we hear something at WWDC, maybe we don't. Either way...where's my Tour?
    05-20-09 04:14 PM

correct but in the last 3 years or so the smartphone market has grown by huge numbers.. I wonder how long it will take until the smartphone market has the majority.

now because there iPhone sits at 199.00

I wonder what there advanced device pricing would be it would have to be quite a bit less or what would be the point?
    05-20-09 04:22 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD