Yes, sure. But Apple users don't get the pleasure of installing hybrids and leaked OSs and being beta testers for new software and finding tons of bugs. Ah ha!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Lol. Made me laugh.

Anyhoo. I havent seen the video yet. Im gonna have a look now.

Although apple have taken there time with this. But i hope this delivers. I dont really see me needing to multi task. Might sound noobish but with the OS being so quick for me anyway, its just a button to home then back to the APP i need. I really do hope Batt life improves because when im playing doodle jump im on it for ages and it sucks my battery haha.

Anyway back to the vid.
    04-08-10 04:57 PM
    1. I can't live with my LED light
    2. Love having flash on my camera
    3. I use my BB many times a day as a usb drive
    4. Switch batteries if I use my BB a lot through the day, or when I'm camping and can't charge for a couple days.
    5. I have multiple email accounts (gmail, yahoo, msn, school) and I want push on all of them.
    6. Don't want to be tied down to iTunes
    7. Apple needs to let the user decide how they want to use the phone. It always seems Mr. Jobs is telling consumers how to use their products. I don't want to support it's dictatorship.

I'm sure there's plenty more, but I don't want to take the time to mention them. I know you iPhone lovers will try to negate all these things, and that's just fine. I just found it funny that in the OP the three things that were "checked off" were functions that BB and many dumbphones have had for years. That when the iPhone didn't have those features it was no big deal, but now that it does, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I also realize this is only Apple's fourth phone, but they still have some catching up to do.

The iPhone is a great phone for many people, and Apple is a great company, but I they need to step up their game if they want to really compete worldwide with RIM.

I realize I'm saying this in the Apple forum so I expect some backlash from this post. I made my comments, so I will leave you all alone now to let you celebrate in this great technological advance from Apple.

Unsubscribing now...
    1. Led notification would be very. I agree.
    2. Not relevant
    3. There's an app for that
    4. Seriously though. This is the same tired argument. I rather have a car charger and a usb cord at my office computer than to carry around another battery that I can lose.
    5.No one has push on everything except blackberry unless you subscribe to mobileme. Who cares about push email on all my accounts if they are truncated, phony html and I can't manage my folders? iphone email > blackberry email. Blackberry needs more that "push" to be the best email now.
    6. So with blackberry you're tied to DM right to update calendar, contacts etc? Ummmm what's your point. Having something like iTunes is actually pretty good. I'd rather be able to update and sync all my stuff OTA and with itunes than having to use several different programs to manage different things.
    7. How does Apple tell you how to use the phone? What did dictator Jobs specifically say? Apple controls their products so they can own the problems and solutions.
    8. I think you are just nit picking because iPhone does a lot of things way better than blackberry.
    04-08-10 05:13 PM
    Lol. Made me laugh.

Anyhoo. I havent seen the video yet. Im gonna have a look now.

Although apple have taken there time with this. But i hope this delivers. I dont really see me needing to multi task. Might sound noobish but with the OS being so quick for me anyway, its just a button to home then back to the APP i need. I really do hope Batt life improves because when im playing doodle jump im on it for ages and it sucks my battery haha.

Anyway back to the vid.
    I agree with you. When it comes to switching between apps, it's not likely to get much faster, as my 3GS opens and closes apps very quickly.

I think the main benefit will be for running apps simultaneously that you can't presently.
    04-08-10 05:15 PM
    2. Not relevant
    4. Seriously though. This is the same tired argument. I rather have a car charger and a usb cord at my office computer than to carry around another battery that I can lose.
    5.No one has push on everything except blackberry unless you subscribe to mobileme. Who cares about push email on all my accounts if they are truncated, phony html and I can't manage my folders? iphone email > blackberry email. Blackberry needs more that "push" to be the best email now.
    6. So with blackberry you're tied to DM right to update calendar, contacts etc? Ummmm what's your point. Having something like iTunes is actually pretty good. I'd rather be able to update and sync all my stuff OTA and with itunes than having to use several different programs to manage different things.
    7. How does Apple tell you how to use the phone? What did dictator Jobs specifically say? Apple controls their products so they can own the problems and solutions.
    8. I think you are just nit picking because iPhone does a lot of things way better than blackberry.
    i agree, when i had a blackberry i had a few batteries and never used any of them. If your going camping cant you use a car charger for a few hours. there are even solar chargers for under 100 bucks that'll charge your iphone wherever you are. There was a post a while back about a solar charger iphone case that charges your iphone whenever you need, so basically you'll never need a charger again. I don't get why people hate iTunes, it makes everything so simple. one simple sync and all my calendars are updated, my contacts are updated, my phone is backed up, my photos are synced. in one click i can restore my OS or upgrade my OS. DM was a nightmare with constant crashes and sometimes the backups didn't work the way they were suppose to. DM mac was a bit better, and the new DM is suppose to function more like the mac one, but still won't be as good as iTunes.

Maybe im not enough of a business person to see the point in this but push email vs fetch email doesnt really make a difference for me. plus with my work account (i work as a construction engineer) all my emails are pushed anyway. The emails come out way nicer with all diagrams and attachments shown. With bb you get truncated messages and attachments need to be downloaded and some don't come up due to some error. Even viewing a simple word document caused the entire document to be misaligned diagrams were missing. Plus being able to sort emails right into different folders is a bonus.

its true that iphones arent as personalized as blackberries, but thats because iPhones are meant to work the way they are made too. An extreme example is the OS. with bb you can choose whatever OS or leaked OS you want, but in every single one of them there is some glitch or problem. With apple, apple tells you what OS to use, but when there is a problem there is a universal update to fix it, id much rather have that then spend hours with DM trying to switch between OS's and reloading backups that don't work half the time.

Flash will never come to iPhone which is kind of sad, to be honest flash on the bb made my pictures look terrible anyway, but thats my opinion. i liked using the flash as a flashlight though. And LED i miss a lot.

iPhone does way more then blackberries can anyway. firstly a browser thats much more usable. Also apps run a lot faster, for example when i use to use Poynt on blackberry it would take ages to find my location and places nearby, but with the iPhone its almost instant. And everyone can agree that iphone maps is better the bb maps. I hardly ever used GPS on my blackberry because it would take forever to find signal. with iPhone it instantly finds my vicinity, and within a few seconds i have my exact location, and can go straight to streetview or grab directions or whatever else i need.

There are very few things iPhones can't do that blackberries can (especially with the OS4 update coming), but there are a lot of things that iPhones can do that blackberries can't. I've always stood by blackberries, but once i switched to the iPhone, im not going back.
    Last edited by seahwhat; 04-08-10 at 05:58 PM.
    04-08-10 05:47 PM
    Hmm I wonder what century they will allow the ability to CUSTOMIZE the iphone's OS!? That's actually a HUGE thing for me! I started way back on windows mobile devices when they were still called 'pocket pc' And over the years I became anal about being able to constantly change how things look and work. Always wanting to try new interfaces, and graphics UIs. - I can do that on Blackberry, and with Plazmic / Theme Builder I can completely make my own interfaces and themes which change entirely how the device looks and works (as far as how I interact with it!) - I realize you can 'sort of' theme an iphone... if you jailbreak it... and jailbreaking voids warranty does it not?

Other things I like about BB vs iphone:

TRUE multitasking... where I can have ANY app running the background, not just small parts off apps (and only ones that Apple deems worthy). I like having complete control over what is running and what is not, ..... and I am smart enough to know how to click on the menu button to see what is running and to know how to close apps that I don't want running! I actually find it funny that iphone has been out how long now... and only just introduced *half A$$ed* multitasking now?! And they won't include it for 3G... EVER! MArketing ploy to get people to upgrade and buy a new phone!

I like being able to remove my micro USB card - which came with it's own little USB adapter to turn it into a usb flash drive. I have the 16 GB card... but might get a 32 GB soon. AT work, we can't plug in electronic devices to the computers because of security.... but we are allowed to use USB drives as long as they are scanned for viruses.

of course I also like flash and autofocus on the camera, and a hardware keyboard as well. I also like PUSH vs pull for email and other info because it essentially cuts my data usage in half for those services. No polling and using data.... which is expensive here in Canada!
    04-08-10 06:20 PM
    2. Not relevant
    Did you read this thread? I simply asked what else was being introduced besides multitasking? I was then asked what a BB can do that an iPhone can't. Then you took my post as an insult to you, which I didn't want to happen. I know what an iPhone is better at, and I could care less about it.

Just like I said in my post, that Apple fanboys just can't take it when their beloved iToy and it's dictator are put down. Thanks for proving my point though, you did well...

1. good
    2. flash is relevant to me, maybe not you, but I need it.
    3. didn't know that, cool though. So I can plug an iphone into any computer and view and print from it? If so then great.
    4. Seriously though, this is the same tired argument for a reason. I don't camp out of the back of my car, how boring. There isn't a 12 volt plug on my bicycle either. Might not be important to you, but it is to me. I'm sorry for hurting your Apple pride.
    5. I don't care if they are truncated, I rarely get an email that is. I want the main point of the email now, not in 10 minutes.
    6. Irrelevant, iTunes sucks, and no I'm not tied to DM at all. I use it to back up my settings once a week. Everything else is done OTA, BB has apps for that stuff too.
    7. Not even going to answer this because it seems like you've already been brainwashed, and there's no turning you back now.
    8. Ummm, if you read this thread you, and my posts than you know why I was pointing those things out.

I'm sorry for hurting your Apple pride, I know you and Mr. Jobs are like best buds. I will leave now, I'm sorry for ever entering the iPhone forum. I had to come back because of your utter ignorance to read, I guess your Apple pride just made you forget what you read.

As said above, which you forgot to read, The iPhone is a great phone for many people, and Apple is a great company. They are doing many things right, and I'm sure they will keep that up. But, Apple will ALWAYS be second to BlackBerry and RIM, it doesn't matter what you or Apple's dictator does or says.

Have a nice day, I'll leave you Apple boys, and girls, alone now...

Edit: I just seen your sig, maybe you should take your own advice and we can call it good?
    Last edited by ridesno159; 04-08-10 at 06:31 PM.
    04-08-10 06:25 PM
    Hmm I wonder what century they will allow the ability to CUSTOMIZE the iphone's OS!? That's actually a HUGE thing for me! I started way back on windows mobile devices when they were still called 'pocket pc' And over the years I became anal about being able to constantly change how things look and work. Always wanting to try new interfaces, and graphics UIs. - I can do that on Blackberry, and with Plazmic / Theme Builder I can completely make my own interfaces and themes which change entirely how the device looks and works (as far as how I interact with it!) - I realize you can 'sort of' theme an iphone... if you jailbreak it... and jailbreaking voids warranty does it not?

Other things I like about BB vs iphone:

TRUE multitasking... where I can have ANY app running the background, not just small parts off apps (and only ones that Apple deems worthy). I like having complete control over what is running and what is not, ..... and I am smart enough to know how to click on the menu button to see what is running and to know how to close apps that I don't want running! I actually find it funny that iphone has been out how long now... and only just introduced *half A$$ed* multitasking now?! And they won't include it for 3G... EVER! MArketing ploy to get people to upgrade and buy a new phone!

I like being able to remove my micro USB card - which came with it's own little USB adapter to turn it into a usb flash drive. I have the 16 GB card... but might get a 32 GB soon. AT work, we can't plug in electronic devices to the computers because of security.... but we are allowed to use USB drives as long as they are scanned for viruses.

of course I also like flash and autofocus on the camera, and a hardware keyboard as well. I also like PUSH vs pull for email and other info because it essentially cuts my data usage in half for those services. No polling and using data.... which is expensive here in Canada!
    Ok for one, didn't RIM do the same thing when they introduced OpenGL, and the bold 9700 which had just come out, would not be supported. How is this any different then the 3G not being able to multitask. The 3G is soon to be 2 generations behind. Its hardware can't handle multitasking. Thats no different then an old laptop not being able to handle Windows 7. It happens in all technology, not just phones, and is by no means apples fault.

Apples method of multitasking isn't half A$$ed. Its designed to be more efficient so that the battery life doesn't suck. Look at the storm 2, the iPhone 3gs blows the storm 2 in battery life (from experience). Apple found a way around this that allows multitasking on their phone without causing lag and draining battery. Even on the 9700, if i had more then 5 apps open the phone would start to lag. What is there in "true" multitasking that apples innovative multitasking can't handle. Developers are able to implement this into their apps, so by no means is the multitasking limited to certain apps. I personally don't see any reason why the iPhone's version of multitasking is any different then blackberries multitasking. You can't technically run 2 apps at the exact same time on a bb anyway (1 is active and the rest is background), so why keep those apps fully running.

Im on your side with the whole customizing thing though. I think its a little ridiculous for apple to wait this long for us to make our own background. In terms of liking the physical keyboard more thats just preference and isn't fair to compare the 2 on. If you like a physical keyboard go blackberry, some people (myself included) would rather sacrifice the physical keyboard in order to reap the benefits of having a full sized touchscreen for browsing and other apps that run better full screen (gps, pictures, facebook etc).

As for using more data pulling vs pushing, im not sure of the exact usage difference, but im in canada as well and going from using the bb to iphone, ive increased my monthly usage by about 20mb, which is almost nothing. Also, since i got the iPhone ive been using more data, because im actually able to use my browser on the go, and my GPS is more of something i can use on a daily basis rather then only in emergencies (bb maps is just terrible). I know that bb data is compressed, but from a usage point of view, my monthly usage hasn't gone up by much and i get much more use out of my phone.

I don't know why people are complaining about this multitasking thing. Im glad that apple waited this long and found a way to implement it into the OS without having it be a battery drain, rather then include true multitasking and having the battery die much faster. If you can show me an example of a situation where true multitasking is better then apples version of multitasking then please share...
    Last edited by seahwhat; 04-08-10 at 06:54 PM.
    04-08-10 06:51 PM
    But, Apple will ALWAYS be second to BlackBerry and RIM, it doesn't matter what you or Apple's dictator does or says.

Have a nice day, I'll leave you Apple boys, and girls, alone now...
    what a stupid comment. Im by no means an apple fanboy, ive used blackberries for ages, and ive probably been through more blackberries then most. Sure there are some things iphones can't do that blackberries can, and there are some that blackberries can't do that iPhones can. How is apple ALWAYS second to blackberry. Blackberries have the same if not more problems then iPhones. I can't tell you how many times DM has crashed on me or not backed up my phone because of some error. Even syncing something so simple as calendar is a pain, half the time DM doubles my entries, sometimes it erases them. I cant even tell you how many times ive had to do battery pulls just to do a simple task as making a phone call. There was a thread a while back on the 9000 forum about how many times people do battery pulls, and a lot of people had their phones to reset each morning. That's just ridiculous. Sure maybe you get emails a few min faster then we do but how about all those outtages RIM's had lately. don't even get me started on how stupid bb browser is. Ive given RIM many chances and the iPhone is just the better phone. How does it take any longer to read an actual email vs a truncated one. Its not like bb cuts out the filler and highlights the important lines, you still have to read the full email to get the information, and if you don't then chances are you don't have to read the full email on the iPhone either. And just because you don't use email often doesn't mean no one else does, its still a pretty important feature to have in a phone (the same as flash may be less relevant to me but more relevant to you). With the new OS4 on the way there is very little that iPhone can't do that bb can, and lots that iphone can do that bb can't.

as much of an ***** as he is, Jobs doesn't dictate what iphone users use. The iPhone is limited because it does what it is suppose to do well. Apple doesnt just hand out OS leaks for people to test, they dish out OS updates that actually work and are a step forward into what smartphones are capable of. I've been waiting ages for RIM to push a newer OS that actually runs well. My girlfriend is in the same boat, and still no official OS5 for her 8900 through Rogers. OS5 isn't even much of an update, but most users still don't have official versions of that. RIM pushes out a touchscreen, and 2 generations in, it is still probably the most terrible phone ive used. Even look at your phones, i was just looking at pictures of the new bold, which looks identical to the tour minus the trackball. Its been years and RIMs OS sucks, the phones are either terrible or all the same. Im bitter at RIM because of all the problems i've had and all the money ive spent on phones, and trying to fix phones. As a user of many blackberries and 1 iPhone (im not a fanboy, ive just given RIM many chances and they havent delivered), i can tell you right now that in my opinion the iPhone beats the blackberry in everything except LED and keyboard.

If your opinion differs then explain yourself and stop leaving idiotic comments...
    Last edited by seahwhat; 04-08-10 at 07:19 PM.
    04-08-10 07:04 PM
    What I mean by real multitasking is that Apple has said that only certain parts of apps will be allowed to multitask and avaiable to 3rd paty devs... (audio and gps for example) but what about other apps that 3rd party devs might decide to make like a timer app or certain IM apps, or alternate task management etc? Those apps will be 'frozen' as soon as you switch to a diff app, so they will not be able to run real time. At least that's how the release read.... not every app will be able to run in the background and even ones that do, will not be truly running, only certain things can stay running.

On my BB I often run BeJive in the background as well as scanner radio (ems/ fire / police scanner) and other apps as well (not usually all at the same time) I like being able to have FULL control over what is open and when and for how long. ANd I am smart enough to know how to close things out properly if need be. My battery life on the 9700 is PHENOMENAL! Better than any of the people I know who have iphones! The only app that seems to drain battery quicker is BeJive that I have noticed. ANd even then it's not that bad.

I do agree with whoever said that Apple is trying to dictate how people use their devices... it's because they have removed all of the control that you could have over what your device does and how to do it. It simplifies everything and basically gives you ONE way to do something.... and if you don't like it that way then too bad.... or jailbreak it.

When iphones get to the point where you don't have to hack the crap out of it to make it do what you want and how you want.... then I might consider one! EVen jailbroken iphones that are themed, still have that same old boring square icon layout, just with different icons and a wallpaper (at least they will have subfolders now... why they never did before is beyond me!). And I don't think they added a 'today screen' to the new OS either....

And I am not against Apple btw... my computer is a MacBook Pro.
    04-08-10 07:29 PM
    What I mean by real multitasking is that Apple has said that only certain parts of apps will be allowed to multitask and avaiable to 3rd paty devs... (audio and gps for example) but what about other apps that 3rd party devs might decide to make like a timer app or certain IM apps, or alternate task management etc? Those apps will be 'frozen' as soon as you switch to a diff app, so they will not be able to run real time. At least that's how the release read.... not every app will be able to run in the background and even ones that do, will not be truly running, only certain things can stay running.

On my BB I often run BeJive in the background as well as scanner radio (ems/ fire / police scanner) and other apps as well (not usually all at the same time) I like being able to have FULL control over what is open and when and for how long. ANd I am smart enough to know how to close things out properly if need be. My battery life on the 9700 is PHENOMENAL! Better than any of the people I know who have iphones! The only app that seems to drain battery quicker is BeJive that I have noticed. ANd even then it's not that bad.

I do agree with whoever said that Apple is trying to dictate how people use their devices... it's because they have removed all of the control that you could have over what your device does and how to do it. It simplifies everything and basically gives you ONE way to do something.... and if you don't like it that way then too bad.... or jailbreak it.

When iphones get to the point where you don't have to hack the crap out of it to make it do what you want and how you want.... then I might consider one! EVen jailbroken iphones that are themed, still have that same old boring square icon layout, just with different icons and a wallpaper (at least they will have subfolders now... why they never did before is beyond me!). And I don't think they added a 'today screen' to the new OS either....

And I am not against Apple btw... my computer is a MacBook Pro.
    Ok yeah i see what you're saying with the multitasking thing. To me the release read more as in developers being able to tell the iphone what to keep running. So for example the timer would able to tell the iphone to ring at a certain time or whatnot. i could be wrong though.

I agree with you that the 9700 battery is amazing. That was my last bb before switching to iPhone and that thing would last me for 2 days with heavy usage. I think it just comes down to the size of the screen and the way its used. My point was if you compare the storm 2 to the iphone 3gs, the 3gs beats the battery by far. By implementing full multitasking into the 3gs, the battery would drain much faster (the same as a jailbroken iphone multitasking). I still feel that apples method of multitasking is better because it allows apps to run in the background (although now you have me doubting if im understanding the presentation right or not) and saves battery at the same time, so that you get the battery of a single task phone with the power of a multitasking phone. Imagine if you didnt have the battery of the 9700 but more like the storm 2, you would probably be less inclined to run apps in the background because of the battery drain. From a full touchscreen point of view, battery isn't a strong point, so this way there is at least many apps that can multitask without breaking the battery.

I think we look at phones differently. When im buying a phone i look at the features it has, and i think about how im going to use those features. When i bought my 9700 i was thinking about the battery life, how much faster the processor would be etc, i wasnt thinking about how im going to add themes to it or how im going to add an OS leak or whatnot. So for me to look at the iphone, i see the features it has and i use it for those features. I don't interpret that as Jobs telling me what i can do or limiting my phone because i know before buying it that it is what i need. Just like how your 9700 won't handle OpenGL, its not a factor that you thought of when you bought it, so you won't feel like RIM is telling you that you can't use it (if that makes any sense). I know for a fact that the iPhone is capable of much more then apple allows, but when i bought the phone i knew what it could do and it was good enough. For example i knew before buying the iphone that it wouldnt run themes or custom backgrounds. So the fact that apple is limiting the iphone to not allow this isnt really a factor for me because its not something i need.

i have a macbook pro too, amazing laptop
    04-08-10 07:44 PM
    I think the point of the matter is and its really safe to say that "RIM really got some catching up to do" the way I see it

1.Android-Apple ... I think ima call this a tie
    2.RIM

... Window's mobile 7 is still to be determin

Now maybe RIM is aware of this and maybe the problem (competition) will be solved with OS. 6.0 only time will tell, so imo ... RIM is at the bottom of the list and apple wins this round
    04-08-10 08:26 PM
    If your opinion differs then explain yourself and stop leaving idiotic comments...
    they dish out OS updates that actually work and are a step forward into what smartphones are capable of
    First of all, I never said I don't get many emails, I get them all the time, but rarely are they truncated. I'm not sure who sends you emails, but the ones I get have all the main points within the first paragraph or two.

Also, I have explained why my opinion differs from yours many times in this thread, can you read? Or do you just look at what you don't like and go from there? Just because your bitter at RIM and disagree with me doesn't mean that you can call my opinions "idiotic." The only thing the iPhone beats a BB in is the browser, but BB is better at everything else. I will gladly trade a few seconds load time for having a superior device in every other way.

And what "outages" are you talking about? Do you mean the one for few hours in the middle of the night on a weekend? Because that's the only one I can recall in the past couple months. All these one people have "reported" are just because people don't know how to use their phone. Never has a RIM outage affected me, ever, and I've had a BB for more then a few years.

I laughed so hard on your OS update comment, in fact, still laughing. A "step forward into what smartphones are capable of" Really? You actually believe that? 3G: Video 3GS: Copy/Paste 4G: Multitasking. It took them 4 years to multitask. How long have BB's been doing that, or any other smartphone?

Once again I will end to what I believe is true. Apple will ALWAYS be second to BlackBerry and RIM. If you have a different opinion, then keep it to yourself because I don't care what you, Apple, and Steve think or do. I don't like repeating myself, so if you have a problem with it, then read my previous posts in this thread. Be sure to put your reading glasses on and read carefully because I don't have patience for ignorance and stupidity.
    04-08-10 09:04 PM
    First of all, I never said I don't get many emails, I get them all the time, but rarely are they truncated. I'm not sure who sends you emails, but the ones I get have all the main points within the first paragraph or two.

Also, I have explained why my opinion differs from yours many times in this thread, can you read? Or do you just look at what you don't like and go from there? Just because your bitter at RIM and disagree with me doesn't mean that you can call my opinions "idiotic." The only thing the iPhone beats a BB in is the browser, but BB is better at everything else. I will gladly trade a few seconds load time for having a superior device in every other way.

And what "outages" are you talking about? Do you mean the one for few hours in the middle of the night on a weekend? Because that's the only one I can recall in the past couple months. All these one people have "reported" are just because people don't know how to use their phone. Never has a RIM outage affected me, ever, and I've had a BB for more then a few years.

I laughed so hard on your OS update comment, in fact, still laughing. A "step forward into what smartphones are capable of" Really? You actually believe that? 3G: Video 3GS: Copy/Paste 4G: Multitasking. It took them 4 years to multitask. How long have BB's been doing that, or any other smartphone?

Once again I will end to what I believe is true. Apple will ALWAYS be second to BlackBerry and RIM. If you have a different opinion, then keep it to yourself because I don't care what you, Apple, and Steve think or do. I don't like repeating myself, so if you have a problem with it, then read my previous posts in this thread. Be sure to put your reading glasses on and read carefully because I don't have patience for ignorance and stupidity.
    I actually have read all your posts and all i hear is someone complaining about the features YOU feel is important/unimportant. flash...email....The fact is not everyone uses a smartphone like you do. Im comparing them for all the features that they have. I didnt say bb was bad, im saying that it still lags behind in everything. So the fact that you don't get truncated messages doesn't mean that noone else does, or the fact that you need flash, or the fact that you cant charge your phone in the car while your camping doesn't apply to most people. Some people find the flash important, some people find the browser important, its all preference, but overall you can't claim that blackberry is a way superior device. Almost everyone in my school program and at work has either a blackberry or iPhone, and almost every email related to school/work is truncated, whether the file be to big to even open on a bb (audio or video) or the email is just to long. Everything shows on an iPhone, even sending a song to someone plays right from the iPhone mail app.

See you keep saying blackberry is a superior device but you never back that up. Your reasons are oh it has a flash and i dont get long emails. and about the outages, i actually live in waterloo and have friends that work at RIM and there are outages all the time, most of them are short and so they go unreported, but yes at least in Ontario there have been a few major shortages, one of them on a monday afternoon which almost costed me a job opportunity. my company runs 8320s on the rogers network and there are constant problems of bbms not sending and its either a network problem or a phone problem (in which case a battery pull solves it), and either way its RIMs issue.

I actually don't just read what i don't like and go from there, ive supported RIM for a long time, its a fact that they havent delivered much in the last few years. You always say blackberries are better but give no solid reason besides quirks that are specific to your usage. Exactally what can the bb do that the iPhone cant. Im talking about true functionality, not that blackberry has flash and iPhone doesnt.

and you may laugh at the iPhone OS but with the OS4 update we now have everything the blackberry has, and even better. First our multitasking won't give us sh|t battery life like the storm. Copy and paste is faster on the iPhone (a single click lets you copy an entire paragraph, and drag your finger to copy an entire page). Video has the capability of being edited on the spot, and with the help of apps, there can be editing done to videos and photos right off the phone. So ya it took apple a while to get the basic tasks done but now they work better then other smartphones. Same with MMS. BB finally has threaded sms down but mms still show up in separate threads. When BBM5 was released there were major issues with pictures and other files not sending/receiving.

Even the post above agrees that android and apple are above RIM. RIM was excellent as a business phone but it does just that. Apple and Android both have more rounded functionalities and capabilities. Apple has had OpenGL support longer then RIM has, it handles music and media better, has a better browser, emails are better (besides RIMs push). As a phone both the iPhone and blackberry can take/make phone calls, both have wifi (most bbs anyway), both have multitasking now, copy/past, mms, GPS works amazing on the iPhone, and terrible on the bb. Even comparing battery life, yes 9700 has way longer battery, but compare touchscreen to touchscreen, the 3gs has much longer battery then the storm 2. both processors in the bb and iphone run very well, apple app store beats app world. The iPhone is built to better quality too, when the 9700 was released there were countless threads of people complaining about moving trackpads, light leaking through the sides, the bezel falling apart. The bb screens are much more scratch prone then iPhone (apart from the bold 9000 and storm series).

There are plenty of general reasons why the iPhone is comparable and better then the blackberry (of course depends on what you use your phone for and personal preference). You only give YOUR reasons why bb is better and then claim that bb is superior to all other phones when in fact bb's suffer from way more problems then other phones.
    Last edited by seahwhat; 04-08-10 at 10:28 PM.
    04-08-10 10:19 PM
    Wow dude! relax a bit, back away from the computer. Take your pills or whatever you need. Your taking this way too seriously, and you claim your not an Apple fanboy?????

You will not convince me to believe your crazy ways, I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!! You don't get my point, read what I'm saying.

Once again I will end to what I believe is true. Apple will ALWAYS be second to BlackBerry and RIM
    Basically, that is my OPINION, you can have yours, but leave mine alone. FOR ME, Apple will always be second to BB. Yes, I give MY reasons, because I'm using the phone, not you. If the iPhone works for you then have at it, I could care less what you think. But the BB is and always will be superior to the iPhone (for me, does that make you happy?)

Really though, go have a beer or a smoke or something... just relax dude

Edit: I didn't even read your whole post, I'm sure it's all jibberish anyway.
    Last edited by ridesno159; 04-08-10 at 10:43 PM.
    04-08-10 10:40 PM
    Its the little things.

I use my BB Tour as my alarm clock.
    I love waking up and seeing the weather for the day on my GPS guided BeWeather home screen without having to select an App.
    Using BB's device specific dock means no plugging in or fumbling for a cord late at night when I go to bed. A slight glow lets me know where the dock is when the room is dark. Just place the device in the dock and it starts recharging and entering your customized bedside mode. I love BB's attention to user detail.

Like the LED light and so many little things that make the BB special to the types of people that are willing to explore the possibilities/customization of the device. This is what makes BB's special to some.

The iPhone's customizable homescreen is a big plus and a good start as is the multitasking.

I'll take a close look but OS6 is around the corner and I have a feeling BB is going to come out with some interesting products/software/services this year.

Competition is good!
    04-08-10 10:55 PM
    The new OS is everything that RIM could dream of developing. hands down that was the most convincing 50min i have ever watched!!
    04-08-10 11:43 PM
    Wow dude! relax a bit, back away from the computer. Take your pills or whatever you need. Your taking this way too seriously, and you claim your not an Apple fanboy?????

You will not convince me to believe your crazy ways, I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!! You don't get my point, read what I'm saying.

Basically, that is my OPINION, you can have yours, but leave mine alone. FOR ME, Apple will always be second to BB. Yes, I give MY reasons, because I'm using the phone, not you. If the iPhone works for you then have at it, I could care less what you think. But the BB is and always will be superior to the iPhone (for me, does that make you happy?)

Really though, go have a beer or a smoke or something... just relax dude

Edit: I didn't even read your whole post, I'm sure it's all jibberish anyway.
    Just wondering...

Anyone from Minnesota who owns a 9550 and a 9630 is a homicidal axe murderer who tortures kittens, that's what I believe is true.

Does that statement offend you? Granted, I'm taking things up a level or two, but do you see where I'm going with this?
    I've seen far, far worse posts than yours, btw.

I see so many people on this forum make statements that are insulting, rude, or offensive (to varying degrees), Then they add something, maybe at the end, that's supposed to make it all okay.

Here, I'll put one at the end as an example. Ready? Here it comes...

Nothing personal.

*end rant*

Edit: Yeah, so I just watched the video of multitasking on OS 4. Looks pretty cool.

There, back on topic.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 04-09-10 at 12:12 AM.
    04-09-10 12:10 AM
    First our multitasking won't give us sh|t battery life like the storm.
    No offense seahwhat but I'm calling bs on this. I have a storm 2 and had a storm 1 and my battery life has always been better than any iphone.

To sum up my usage for you. I get roughly 35-50 emails a day, never more, never less. In a weeks worth of emails I will get exactly two that get truncated, both are advertisements, one from amazon and one from newegg. I text roughly 300-400 messages per day, usually within 9000-11000 per month. On my s2, my gps is always on and my wifi is always on (not always connected but always on). I unplug my s2 anywhere from 730 am to 815 am and dont plug it back in til anywhere from 1130pm to 1am. In this time my battery drops to 15-35% (30% as i type this actually), depending on usage for the day. In free time, I play either RHex, Fierce Towers, BrickBreaker, Word Mole, ColorFill!, Next Dual Pack, Griddler, Dots, or another game (I have 21 games of varying stress to the phone). I check Facebook and Myspace apps throughout the day, Yahoo! Messenger is always on and PatternLock is always active. Occasionally, I listen to music or watch a movie (this of course kills the battery). I have a cousin who is a much lighter user with his s2 and he only has to charge it every 1.5 to 2 days, same for a friend of mine (lucky them ).

I have a ton of friends with iPhones, none of them are very technologically savvy. About 80% of them are female, which I find interesting They all have one common complaint about their iPhones - battery life. None except 1 are jailbroken. They mostly tell me they average about 4-6 hours battery life. Jailbroken friend averages 2-3 hours. Personally I think he messed his up as it should in no way be that poor. His is a 3GS and the others are a mixture of 3GS's and 3G's if that makes any difference.

Now, with all that said, it comes down to one of 6 things. Either: 1. all of them don't know how to use their iphones (not likely 15+ iphone users), all of them have defective devices (not likely, though signal strength may play a part?), you have a super-iphone (not likely), you had a defective storm 2 (possible), you had a defective battery (possible), or you did/do not know how to use your storm 2 correctly (possible, but not likely as you say you have been using BB's for a while).

So apparently, you have had a special situation of some kind and you've taken it very hard. That is no reason to bash a perfectly good phone that has much better battery life than the average iPhone. I would think you, or anyone BB or iPhone user could understand this.

As for your comments about gps and maps, it may be my area or your area that makes the difference but my Google Maps can locate my location within 15 seconds form the moment I click the app icon, same for my gf's iPhone 3GS. This leads me to believe more-so that your Storm2, or battery was defective or your area's signal isn't up to par.

You may wonder what I am doing in the iPhone area, and that of course is a perfectly fine question. I am a technology lover/geek. I keep up with all devices be them BB, iPhone, Android, Win7, Palm... etc. I saw the announcement of multitasking and began informing my iBuddies that their phones where about to get a lot better. Needless to say none of them knew there was such an announcement (I even had to explain to a couple what multitasking for a phone meant!!! So sad... )

Take this for what it's worth, but I truly believe your device or battery was defective. I have known others who had battery problems but they switched batteries and voila, problem solved. Interesting phenomenon.
    04-09-10 12:24 AM
    No offense seahwhat but I'm calling bs on this. I have a storm 2 and had a storm 1 and my battery life has always been better than any iphone.

To sum up my usage for you. I get roughly 35-50 emails a day, never more, never less. In a weeks worth of emails I will get exactly two that get truncated, both are advertisements, one from amazon and one from newegg. I text roughly 300-400 messages per day, usually within 9000-11000 per month. On my s2, my gps is always on and my wifi is always on (not always connected but always on). I unplug my s2 anywhere from 730 am to 815 am and dont plug it back in til anywhere from 1130pm to 1am. In this time my battery drops to 15-35% (30% as i type this actually), depending on usage for the day. In free time, I play either RHex, Fierce Towers, BrickBreaker, Word Mole, ColorFill!, Next Dual Pack, Griddler, Dots, or another game (I have 21 games of varying stress to the phone). I check Facebook and Myspace apps throughout the day, Yahoo! Messenger is always on and PatternLock is always active. Occasionally, I listen to music or watch a movie (this of course kills the battery). I have a cousin who is a much lighter user with his s2 and he only has to charge it every 1.5 to 2 days, same for a friend of mine (lucky them ).

I have a ton of friends with iPhones, none of them are very technologically savvy. About 80% of them are female, which I find interesting They all have one common complaint about their iPhones - battery life. None except 1 are jailbroken. They mostly tell me they average about 4-6 hours battery life. Jailbroken friend averages 2-3 hours. Personally I think he messed his up as it should in no way be that poor. His is a 3GS and the others are a mixture of 3GS's and 3G's if that makes any difference.

Now, with all that said, it comes down to one of 6 things. Either: 1. all of them don't know how to use their iphones (not likely 15+ iphone users), all of them have defective devices (not likely, though signal strength may play a part?), you have a super-iphone (not likely), you had a defective storm 2 (possible), you had a defective battery (possible), or you did/do not know how to use your storm 2 correctly (possible, but not likely as you say you have been using BB's for a while).

So apparently, you have had a special situation of some kind and you've taken it very hard. That is no reason to bash a perfectly good phone that has much better battery life than the average iPhone. I would think you, or anyone BB or iPhone user could understand this.

As for your comments about gps and maps, it may be my area or your area that makes the difference but my Google Maps can locate my location within 15 seconds form the moment I click the app icon, same for my gf's iPhone 3GS. This leads me to believe more-so that your Storm2, or battery was defective or your area's signal isn't up to par.

You may wonder what I am doing in the iPhone area, and that of course is a perfectly fine question. I am a technology lover/geek. I keep up with all devices be them BB, iPhone, Android, Win7, Palm... etc. I saw the announcement of multitasking and began informing my iBuddies that their phones where about to get a lot better. Needless to say none of them knew there was such an announcement (I even had to explain to a couple what multitasking for a phone meant!!! So sad... )

Take this for what it's worth, but I truly believe your device or battery was defective. I have known others who had battery problems but they switched batteries and voila, problem solved. Interesting phenomenon.
    No offense taken It very well could of been that i had a defective storm2. I dont know anyone else with one so i can't really compare. I don't think signal would be a problem considering waterloo is pretty central place in ontario (2 universities, home of RIM...). The GPS on every single blackberry ive had has taken no less then 5 min to get a signal each time, which isn't a problem if i know in advance that i need a map for somewhere, but can be a problem if im lost and trying to pull up directions quickly. But even assuming that both bb and iPhone pickup signal in the same time, you have to agree that the iphone maps layout is much better then the bb. In terms of scrolling/zooming, the maps render faster i find on iPhone, also its integration with streetview is great (looking up a restaurant ive never been to shows me exactally where it is, and if theres parking around the area etc) , and even adding the compass feature which helps a lot when your driving and the maps orient themselves to the direction you're facing.

I think getting 4-5 Hours on a 3gs is wrong, and is probably a problem with the phone. For 3g i would believe it because battery was almost non-existant on the 3g. When apple released the 3gs the first few batches had very problematic batteries so maybe thats a factor?. I usually never need to charge my iPhone from when i wake up (usually around 6-7am) until bed (12-1am), and the iPhone is usually around 25% by the end of the day for me. I have similar usage as you do during work (i actually probably get close to 200 emails during work), and fairly less usage during my school terms. My girlfriend just got a 3Gs, and a few of my buddies have it and we all report similar usage. The only time ill get 4-5h life is if im playing a graphic intense game, like need for speed or something. Overall blackberry has better battery life then iPhone but i think comparing solely touchscreen to touchscreen the iPhone does pretty well for battery life imo. Also taking a look over to the storm2 forum there are at least a few threads complaining about the storm2 battery life not lasting a day with minimal usage. And im sure everyone can agree that the storm OS isn't as smooth running as the iPhone OS. As for girls using iphones more then guys i could definitely agree with you, but i know most of my guy friends who got one got one when telus was doing that huge promo of 0 dollar blackberries with 15$ unlimited data plan way back when pearl was just released, which is also how i started on the blackberry as well. But most of them whose contracts have ended by now have switched to the N1 or the iPhone. On another note, almost every girl i see on campus has a blackberry.

I don't mean to bash blackberry, im just trying to make a point that to claim that blackberry is far superior then iphone in every way is just a stupid thing to say, when especially now there isn't much more that a blackberry has over the iPhone. Like i mentioned in above posts there are a few perks that blackberry has that iphone doesnt (led, flash, customization etc), but there are also things that iPhone has that blackberry doesnt, but aside from all that, the overall functionality of both phones are at least comparable (i prefer iphone over blackberry).
    Last edited by seahwhat; 04-09-10 at 07:30 AM.
    04-09-10 07:17 AM
    Its the little things.

I use my BB Tour as my alarm clock.
    I love waking up and seeing the weather for the day on my GPS guided BeWeather home screen without having to select an App.
    I do both these things too! I love Berry Weather And on the same home screen I can just scroll over the calendar and see my appointments on the same home screen, without needing to open the calendar app! I'd be lost without my home screen! That was one of the biggest turn-offs for me with iphone was no home screen. I realize there is intelliscreen but you have to jailbreak the phone and void your warranty to use it. I don't have to hack my BB to death, and void my warranty just to have a home screen that shows upcoming apts, weather, messages etc at a glance!
    04-09-10 07:38 AM
    iPhone OS4 has definitely got me interested!
    04-09-10 11:18 AM
    No offense taken It very well could of been that i had a defective storm2. I dont know anyone else with one so i can't really compare. I don't think signal would be a problem considering waterloo is pretty central place in ontario (2 universities, home of RIM...). The GPS on every single blackberry ive had has taken no less then 5 min to get a signal each time, which isn't a problem if i know in advance that i need a map for somewhere, but can be a problem if im lost and trying to pull up directions quickly. But even assuming that both bb and iPhone pickup signal in the same time, you have to agree that the iphone maps layout is much better then the bb. In terms of scrolling/zooming, the maps render faster i find on iPhone, also its integration with streetview is great (looking up a restaurant ive never been to shows me exactally where it is, and if theres parking around the area etc) , and even adding the compass feature which helps a lot when your driving and the maps orient themselves to the direction you're facing.

I think getting 4-5 Hours on a 3gs is wrong, and is probably a problem with the phone. For 3g i would believe it because battery was almost non-existant on the 3g. When apple released the 3gs the first few batches had very problematic batteries so maybe thats a factor?. I usually never need to charge my iPhone from when i wake up (usually around 6-7am) until bed (12-1am), and the iPhone is usually around 25% by the end of the day for me. I have similar usage as you do during work (i actually probably get close to 200 emails during work), and fairly less usage during my school terms. My girlfriend just got a 3Gs, and a few of my buddies have it and we all report similar usage. The only time ill get 4-5h life is if im playing a graphic intense game, like need for speed or something. Overall blackberry has better battery life then iPhone but i think comparing solely touchscreen to touchscreen the iPhone does pretty well for battery life imo. Also taking a look over to the storm2 forum there are at least a few threads complaining about the storm2 battery life not lasting a day with minimal usage. And im sure everyone can agree that the storm OS isn't as smooth running as the iPhone OS. As for girls using iphones more then guys i could definitely agree with you, but i know most of my guy friends who got one got one when telus was doing that huge promo of 0 dollar blackberries with 15$ unlimited data plan way back when pearl was just released, which is also how i started on the blackberry as well. But most of them whose contracts have ended by now have switched to the N1 or the iPhone. On another note, almost every girl i see on campus has a blackberry.

I don't mean to bash blackberry, im just trying to make a point that to claim that blackberry is far superior then iphone in every way is just a stupid thing to say, when especially now there isn't much more that a blackberry has over the iPhone. Like i mentioned in above posts there are a few perks that blackberry has that iphone doesnt (led, flash, customization etc), but there are also things that iPhone has that blackberry doesnt, but aside from all that, the overall functionality of both phones are at least comparable (i prefer iphone over blackberry).
    I can't say I do agree about the iPhone maps layout being better, as I haven't really used it. I only used it to compare gps lock on times honestly. It may very well be better, but I wouldn't know. As for the compass integration, I don't see how much of an advantage that could be. When using Google Maps, the application tells me what direction I am heading along the roadway and such, which it would seem is the same function as the compass in a sense.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I find that this comparison (battery life) involving my friends' iPhones to your iPhone, my S2 to your S2, really isn't fair. There are just too many options that make this essentially non-comparable. I'm willing to bet my friends all have their iPhone screens at the highest brightness's or at least on whatever setting they came with, wifi on most, if not all of the time, bluetooth on as well, etc.. For myself, my S2 is set to be as dim as possible, and even then I still find it too bright at times. So we may be arguing a subject we can never fully figure out...no? However, I did a quick search over at tipb.com and it seems there are quite a few over there who complain about battery life as well and claim usage times similar to the claims of my friends. They seem to be a minority so there very well may be a problem with the devices themselves.

I find it interesting that almost every girl you see has a BB on your campus, of course being in Waterloo helps that out. But, almost every girl, and guy for that matter, has an iPhone at my campus, though I have been seeing an increase in Android devices, and mostly this increase is from those in the visual arts. This could make for an interesting study: How device ownership rates change according to the distance from device headquarters at universities. As well as: How device ownership rates change between different 'departments' at universities.

iPhone OS4 has definitely got me interested!
    I think it has gotten most everyone interested. Most people were only shying from iPhone due to non-multitasking or ATT in the US. I know for myself, I would only consider an iPhone if it were on Verizon, and I have many friends that hold the same opinion. By that time though, there may be better Android or Blackberry devices out that catch my interest. I will surely miss the click-screen of the Storm.
    04-09-10 11:38 AM

I think it has gotten most everyone interested. Most people were only shying from iPhone due to non-multitasking or ATT in the US. I know for myself, I would only consider an iPhone if it were on Verizon, and I have many friends that hold the same opinion. By that time though, there may be better Android or Blackberry devices out that catch my interest. I will surely miss the click-screen of the Storm.

I had high hopes for the Storm2, but imo RIM haven't delivered. Initially i was happy with the storm, took a little getting used to, coming over from a 8900, but soon enough so many things started to annoy me about the handset and OS... mainly the click screen, which I personally think is gimmicky.

The main reason for wanting a Storm2, was the bigger screen, since I like to surf the mobile web, youtube and also to retain my use of BBM...

But to me, minus BBM, the iPhone with OS4 seems to better the BlackBerry in many ways now.

The Storm2 just seems like an ignored handset by RIM and of the many app developers out there.
    04-09-10 12:21 PM
    I'm not sure what the issue is that you guys are having with GPS lock times, but on my Tour, running OS 5.0.0.548 and Google Maps 4.0.1, I have GPS lock in 4 seconds flat (there was one time that it took 8 seconds) from the time I click to open Google Maps (fully closed) to the time it says "your location within 3 meters."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-10 01:08 PM
    My iPhone can already multitask (thanks to Jailbreak). If iPhone OS4 is really good then I might unjailbreak and use it. Hopefully it's a good one!!!
    04-09-10 01:12 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD