Hey guys, first post at crackberry.

I searched around and couldn't find what I was looking for on this so I figured I'd post.

I've got an iPhone 3G with a contract that is up in July and was considering going with a BB. I get really frustrated with the iPhone as a phone and am really starting to like what RIM is doing with the trackpads and so on. I'm also a fan of the push email w/o the battery depleting halfway through the day like the iPhone. With these reasons in mind, do you guys think I'd like a BB? I've played with them a bit in stores and been fairly impressed, but haven't had enough time to know for sure.

I'm also about to enter a career in politics in government and feel that a BB is almost a must have (for work purposes and to be taken seriously by colleagues). Anybody have any insights on this?

If I did switch I would go with the Bold series...possibly waiting until one with OS 6, mainly for the WebKit browser.

I know these are a lot of questions, but just looked for some more specific advice, I don't want to buy a new phone and regretting it.

Thanks!
    05-04-10 11:54 PM
    Hopefully a mod will move this into the BlackBerry forums, because it's BlackBerry users you are seeking advice from.

You definitely wouldn't regret getting a BlackBerry, and the Bold is a great choice. If you are going to stay with your carrier, I would recommend getting the Bold 9700. It has been slated to get OS6 when it comes out, so no worries there.

It sounds like BlackBerry is a perfect fit since killer battery life and push email are priorities for you. The build quality is outstanding. It just FEELS like a quality device.

As for being taken seriously by your colleagues, that has much more to do with who YOU are and less to do with the phone that you carry

You can't go wrong with a Bold 9700. But beware, once you go BlackBerry you never go back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-10 12:08 AM
    Hold on, don't rush into it. Wait till June, AT&T will allow an early upgrade. So, take the opportunity to test the newest iPhone HD (or whatever they decide to call it). Then if you still don't like the iPhone swap to a BlackBerry...

And yes, this is coming from an iPhone & BlackBerry user...
    05-05-10 06:53 AM
    It is hard to say because nobody knows you better than yourself. Blackberrys are great devices so is the iphone. As Naviculture mentioned, what you should do is wait for the new iphone and make a more informative decision then. I think it is important to take whichever device you are trying home so that you'll know whether blackberrys or the newer iphone is the best solution for you.
    05-05-10 08:35 AM
    I just got a new iphone 3gs, and love it. Ive had bb for years. Went from my bold to the iphone, but keeping my bold just in case...lol Its all in preference, and im not a real heavy user of work on my phones. So good luck, and either way, youll have a great phone.
    05-06-10 08:48 AM
    I've had numerous blackberries and went to the iphone. They are different phones so it's a matter of taste. I for one couldn't stand the trackpad. Now they have the digital pad but I still like the precise touch of a finger on screen rather then navigating through the page. My wife has the original bold and loves it but has grown tired of it so she is leaping in june with the new phone. You can test drive a blackberry and if you don't like it within 30 days return it and keep your upgrade date.
    05-06-10 09:28 AM
    You definitely wouldn't regret getting a BlackBerry, and the Bold is a great choice. If you are going to stay with your carrier, I would recommend getting the Bold 9700. It has been slated to get OS6 when it comes out, so no worries there.
    Just like Bold 9000 users have nothing to worry about. They all have 5.0 now on AT&T - oh wait...
    05-06-10 02:14 PM

I searched around and couldn't find what I was looking for on this so I figured I'd post.

I've got an iPhone 3G with a contract that is up in July and was considering going with a BB. I get really frustrated with the iPhone as a phone and am really starting to like what RIM is doing with the trackpads and so on. I'm also a fan of the push email w/o the battery depleting halfway through the day like the iPhone. With these reasons in mind, do you guys think I'd like a BB? I've played with them a bit in stores and been fairly impressed, but haven't had enough time to know for sure.

I'm also about to enter a career in politics in government and feel that a BB is almost a must have (for work purposes and to be taken seriously by colleagues). Anybody have any insights on this?

If I did switch I would go with the Bold series...possibly waiting until one with OS 6, mainly for the WebKit browser.

I know these are a lot of questions, but just looked for some more specific advice, I don't want to buy a new phone and regretting it.

Thanks!
    I think a BB is by far the best choice for what you need in a phone... If i were you i would get the Bold9700, the phone is by far supirior to any other bb out there..

I personally think that BB is a better device than apple.. I am not say that apple sucks but i would take the bb over it any day.
    05-06-10 02:23 PM
    Just like Bold 9000 users have nothing to worry about. They all have 5.0 now on AT&T - oh wait...
    Why not just run 5.0.0.592 or one of willyboy's hybrids? No need to wait for ATT to officially bless it. I don't run VZW sanctioned OS's on my Tour. I run what works best. Anyone who doesn't have 5.0 on their device (if it's capable), and wants it, has only themselves to blame

05-06-10 02:27 PM
    i'm thinkin the same thing... I now have an iphone 3g. i got a blackberry bold 9700 for my birthday a couple of days ago. but its for tmobile and my service is AT&T... i was plannin to get it unlocked but i heard that i wont be able to use BBM or internet or something like that. is it true? if it is i wanna sell it and just get the AT&T one..
    05-06-10 06:16 PM
    i'm thinkin the same thing... I now have an iphone 3g. i got a blackberry bold 9700 for my birthday a couple of days ago. but its for tmobile and my service is AT&T... i was plannin to get it unlocked but i heard that i wont be able to use BBM or internet or something like that. is it true? if it is i wanna sell it and just get the AT&T one..
    it'll work, but you have to go to AT&T and ask them to switch your monthly plan to one that supports Backberrys.
    05-06-10 06:21 PM
    it'll work, but you have to go to AT&T and ask them to switch your monthly plan to one that supports Backberrys.
    You'll only have 2G service when using the T-mobile version on AT&T.
    05-06-10 06:26 PM
    Hold on, don't rush into it. Wait till June, AT&T will allow an early upgrade. So, take the opportunity to test the newest iPhone HD (or whatever they decide to call it). Then if you still don't like the iPhone swap to a BlackBerry...

And yes, this is coming from an iPhone & BlackBerry user...
    I was definitely planning on waiting to see all the features of the new iPhone (if there are any that haven't already been leaked or found in the SDK), but I'm leaning more and more toward the blackberry, just because I tend to be a "power-user" and I like the long battery life and shortcuts that you learn once you've mastered the OS. On the last campaign I worked on, those of us with iPhones were charging them halfway through an incredibly busy day, while those with BBs were fine all day and night.

Sometimes though, I more I think about this, the more I go back and forth and it's tough to make a decision :S
    05-06-10 09:35 PM
    I was definitely planning on waiting to see all the features of the new iPhone (if there are any that haven't already been leaked or found in the SDK), but I'm leaning more and more toward the blackberry, just because I tend to be a "power-user" and I like the long battery life and shortcuts that you learn once you've mastered the OS. On the last campaign I worked on, those of us with iPhones were charging them halfway through an incredibly busy day, while those with BBs were fine all day and night.

Sometimes though, I more I think about this, the more I go back and forth and it's tough to make a decision :S
    Please keep in mind that I'm Aa BBforever person when I say this: COnsidering that the iPhone HD is supposed to have most of it's internal space dedicated to it's battery, it most likely will last longer than even the 9700, unless the A3 (or whatever is in it) is REALLY powerful (and power hungry)
    Speaking of the Ax processors, I think they may be some logic to them, maybe as follows:
    A1: iPod Nano
    A2: iPod HD/iPod Touch
    A3: iPhone, maybe iTouch
    A4: iPad
    A5: MacBook Air??
    Last edited by grahamf; 05-06-10 at 09:47 PM.
    05-06-10 09:44 PM

Thanks!
    ===============

Do what I did (and most): get a blackberry (preferably the bold) and get an ipod touch on the side strictly for apps and music. Best of both worlds.

As far as being taken seriously in the business world because you have a blackberry went out the door when teenagers now have blackberries. Next thing you know, the family dog will have a blkberry.
    05-09-10 12:40 PM
    Ridiculous argument removed.

Be civil, avoid personal attacks, offensive languages and profanity.
    05-09-10 03:08 PM
    Mm. That's not true. I've been waiting for the official 5.0 for the Bold 9000. Doesn't matter, I'm switching to the new Iphone when it comes out.
    05-13-10 10:14 AM
    apple good !
    05-13-10 10:21 AM

Thanks!
    Hi there, I have both the iPhone and the BlackBerry 9700 - BB is my first love but I am a Mac fan too and had to have the iPhone as well, when I first got it I was back to my berry within the first few months the lack of multitasking, notifications and the awful battery life just did it for me - just recently I have been using my iPhone again as everyone rants and raves the whole time about them. Conclusion; the iPhone is very innovative great apps (and never ending) great for browsing and most of the multimedia part. The BlackBerry on the other hand is more reliable, the battery will get you through the day with extra to spare (using the same programmes on the iPhone by lunchtime the battery is flat lol) push mail is a whole different story on the berry and so is messaging - as mentioned by someone else your best bet would be to get the Bold and an iPod touch - and the description you've given for your needs I would say without a doubt BB all they way

p.s no doubt the new iPhone OS will be better - but I could never give up my berry completely
    05-14-10 03:46 PM

Thanks!
    I have a BlackBerry, but I don't think that the iPhone is unprofessional. I would carry it and have no problems. I think that you should keep the iPhone. There are already enougb people who use BBs and other devices as staus symbols and/or as a reflection of who they are as a person. Don't be one of them. Keep your iPhone if you like it. Maybe upgrade to the new one. There really isn't anything that a BlackBerry can do that an iPhone can't. The Bold is a great device, but only for those who really want it. It can be a disaster if you are looking for a device that is a lot more entertaining. Good luck with your decision. But make sure that it is your decision and not what others decide for you.

05-18-10 08:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD