I'm switching from my iPhone 4 running iOS 5 back to my Blackberry because personally for me I realized I'm just a Blackberry guy. My issue is I switched it but realized the people texting me that have iPhones were still sending to my phone on iMessage even after I had already moved the sim card to the Blackberry and activated my Blackberry data services. My iPhone was still on with wifi, so my question is how do I get this to stop happening? Because I want to sell my iPhone, but I don't want to have people with iPhones to continue sending me iMessages, and me not get them as text messages on my Blackberry. Anyone know a solution to this problem? If I shut off the wifi on the iPhone will they just go to my Blackberry as text messages or will they not be sent at all? Any insight is appreciated, thank you.
    01-04-12 05:31 AM
    If they are messaging you by phone number it will stop automatically. If they are using your email you setup with iMessage you need to tell them to use you phone number.
    01-04-12 05:41 AM
    Even if the iPhone is still on with wifi?
    01-04-12 05:49 AM
    It's a bug that apple is supposedly going to fix. It first appeared with a stolen 4s that, even after a full wipe, was still able to send and receive iMessages from the users account. It seems that once the phones iD and number is registered as iMessage capable that it doesn't automatically deactivate in some instances.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    01-04-12 08:09 AM
    Let me say this...

1. I have an iPhone and I would iMessage someone that had an iPhone
    2. They switched to a BlackBerry 9900, and if I sent them a text, to their mobile number, it would constantly try as an iMessage, and after 5-10 minutes it would then try as a text message (unless I double clicked it to send as text)
    3. The only way I could get it to send IMMEDIATELY as a text, versus trying as iMessage first, was to turn off iMessage, send them a text, and then turn iMessage back on

After doing this, when sending a text message from my iPhone to this user, using a BlackBerry, it worked as a text message directly\instantly...

All that to say, I wonder if the people sending text message to you (iMessages) need to do this?

Now, of course, if they are sending to an email address (like someone else stated), that in itself is another issue...
    FigureThisOut likes this.
    01-04-12 01:02 PM
    The only way iMessage would still work if ppl had ur email and phone number in contacts as it will default it to send via email. But once ur wifi is switched off the messages will get sent via text and then on would.
    01-04-12 01:09 PM
    http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/12/...-annoying-fix/

This relates to the same issue but if the phone was stolen.

Apple (more likely the carrier) need to implement a way to deactivate iMessage automatically when the sim is removed from the phone and put in a non-idevice so that messages are automatically sent to the new device as SMS. it's a network id issue I would imagine. And yet another reason why device specific data plans do not work.

It's a bug. I'm sure it'll be fixed.

01-04-12 01:23 PM
    Good point Xandermac. I can't stand device specific data plans, especially since I can't swap my SIM from one device to another, and for the data to just work, in addition to the size being different from BlackBerry to iPhone...

But, I digress...
    01-04-12 03:16 PM
    Device specific plans suck.

http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/01/05/i...8TechCrunch%29

Last edited by xandermac; 01-05-12 at 09:29 AM.
    01-05-12 09:26 AM
    Thanks for your help everyone! I think this last post ^ has solved my problem.
    01-05-12 06:09 PM
    Just a thought.......If you go back to IoS 4, wont this stop the Imessages from being delivered?
    But then what would happen, if the buyer upgrades to IoS 5, is the question................
    01-06-12 06:24 AM
    For some reason your number doesn't automatically deregister from iMessage unless you do it yourself from your iPhone or through apples website... I am new to crackberry so can't post the exact link but if you google deregister iMessage you should be able to find an apple weblink where you can do it.

I am having the same problem, just did this, but says that it make take a few hours for it to fully register and specific people may have to delete their old convos with you on their phone in order for them to send you regular text messages.
    08-02-15 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD