Before anyone asks, I did search, but was not satisfied with any of the results.

I have the opportunity to trade my Blackberry 8900 for an iPhone 3g 16gb. I love the 8900, and I got it for free (no contracts/rebates/etc) because of hookups, so I can't complain there. However, I'm using it without any type of data plan right now. Basically, I use it just like I used my old Sony Ericsson w810i before this...for calls, texting, games, recording voice notes, etc. When I have access to a wifi network I browse the web sometimes. But other than that, that's pretty much how my usage goes. For blackberry's, I can't really do much with that. With iPhone, I can at least download tons of apps that I could use without wifi (assuming they don't connect to the internet).

I am thinking of trading my 8900 for the iphone, but before I do I had a couple questions. The 8900 I use is tmobile branded, unlocked, and I'm using it on att. No data plan. If I got the iphone, then I would be using it the same way, no data plan (just wifi, from which i can download apps and whatnot too). Before I do the actual trade though, I want to make sure there's nothing wrong with it, so I would like to be able to pop in my sim card just to see if it connects to the att network and to see if I can make a call. If so, then I'll go through with trade, and unlock it, jailbreak it, and install bossprefs to block edge and 3g.

My question though, is that in that short time when I swap in my sim to see if everything works fine or not, will ATT automatically add the iPhone data plan to my account (which i have no intention of purchasing)?
    06-28-09 12:56 AM
    I just did what you are asking about with my wife's line...I own a wireless store and occasionally will swap phones with a customer...

I recently got an 8gb 3g...I restored and updated the software, then I dropped my wifes sim in it to let her see how she liked it. Even though I activated it thru iTunes, I could not access data with it, because it is "not connected to the network"...SWEET!!!

So far so good--whenever she has wifi available, she can get email, download apps, and stream Pandora radio--leave the wifi hotspot, and all she has is a phone she can text with...

I was expecting to be able to access the data network, and be billed per use for a day or two while she tried it out, but instead am blocked altogether.

I am definitely curious to see the bill when it arrives, to see if I get nailed for something unexpected...

I am thinking that the new 3.0 software has something to do with it not accessing the network, but wll defer to anyone with better knowledge on the subject...
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

06-28-09 01:57 AM
    STRAIGHT FROM THE ATT WEBSITE:

Please note: AT&T is Apple's exclusive carrier partner for iPhone in the United States. An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the United States and does not cover international data usage and charges. If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.
    06-28-09 01:47 PM
    Yes, i realize what's on the ATT website and didn't really need someone yelling it back at me, but thanks for the effort!

The whole point of a forum is so I can get feedback from people who are actually familiar with the situation/have actually tried it out...i was looking for real world feedback, not something I can easily google.
    06-28-09 02:14 PM
    Nice to know it wasn't just me feeling that way! Reckon "lampert" is a stormtrooper for the Evil Empire?

My experience with it shows that you shouldn't be billed for the data plan during the time your sim is in the phone, because you won't be able to access any data--any query you make from the device will come back with an error message...

Further, a check of my account online shows an iPhone on my wife's line, so that proves that the system does indeed recognize the iPhone's IMEI on the network.

My billing cycle doesn't end till the 9th, so at this point I can only assume that I won't be billed for data, since I am unable to access the data except thru wifi...

I got this phone from an a source other than ATT, so I didn't get a subsidy on the handset, nor did I sign a contract agreeing to pay for the data plan, so the debate rages on about whether or not ATT has the right to bill me for data under those circumstances...

Of interest is the fact that the guy I got the phone from has spent hours on the phone with the Deathstar arguing that point. His contention was that while he did receive a discount on the device, the rep at the corporate store told him he didn't need the data plan to just use it as a phone. All was fine for 4 or 5 months until ATT started auditing accounts looking for iPhone users on the wrong data plan...

06-28-09 02:56 PM
    Thanks for the info tmotytn. I think I'm just going to hold off an iPhone for now, it's too much of a risk using it and then being charged an extra 30 or 40 or however much it is for iPhone data for no reason. I'll try to go to an ATT store and see if they can provide me any more info though. I don't see how they have the right to make me buy additional stuff for a device that I purchase with no subsidy or contract or nothing. It's like if i were to buy a used car, and the dealership from where it was originally purchased forces me to get it serviced there and only there in order to use my car.
    06-29-09 10:33 AM
    I agree, but heres the thing. On some level I think they want to make sure that you are getting signal. I love 3g, and there are times I wish that it wasn't so pricy. But for me if it was powered of WIFI I would get no internet signal. If you are planning to use the internet a lot then it's really worth it.
    06-29-09 11:55 AM
    i was just giving some information about what is stated on the website. no need to cut my head off about it.

it is a free country if att wants to make you have a data plan then they can. why would you spend the money in the first place on an iphone if you are not going to use all of its capabilities? just go get a cheap phone. the iphone is pretty pointless if you do not have the data plan. also it goes the same for blackberries also. most carriers make you have a data plan and if you dont they reserve the right to add one.
    06-29-09 04:36 PM
    i was just giving some information about what is stated on the website. no need to cut my head off about it.

it is a free country if att wants to make you have a data plan then they can. why would you spend the money in the first place on an iphone if you are not going to use all of its capabilities? just go get a cheap phone. the iphone is pretty pointless if you do not have the data plan. also it goes the same for blackberries also. most carriers make you have a data plan and if you dont they reserve the right to add one.
    YOUR RESPONSE BACK WAS IN ALL CAPS. Not sure if you know, but all caps suggests yelling, as evident in the last sentence i wrote...I believe I responded accordingly.

As for it being a free country or not, that really wasn't even part of the initial topic.

Not everything on smartphones require an internet connection every single place you go. Furthermore, someone living in an area where they can pick up a strong wifi signal practically anywhere has no reason to pay for data.

What is the point of buying a nice plasma TV if you're not going to use it to it's full potential? What's the point of buying a nice car if you're not going to use every single thing it offers? What's the point of buying anything if you're not going to use every single feature it offers, as you suggest? Because people buy what they like.

I'm not going to argue though, we all have our own opinions...but as far as smartphones being "pointless" without data, that is your opinion. Try not to convey it as a hard fact to everyone.

Going back to the original topic though, thanks for the responses guys.
    06-29-09 06:49 PM
    that is the original topic. att requires a data plan with the iphone and if they find you are not using one they reserve the right to add one to your account that is all
    06-29-09 06:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD