They introduced the original iPhone 6 month before it launched, same with the iPod. Actually, most "new categories" they'll announce well in advance of the launch date. This is to avoid the leaks we see for incremental updates of existing products. Incremental updates to a product they'll announce when it's almost ready to ship.

Sure... but MacBook pros and IPads are now products around for years.

It's odd for them to introduce a new category and say "it's coming next year"

Very unjobsian- Steve's marketing strategy was heavily built around his keynote hype.

Different Apple I guess

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 08:27 AM
    Weak specs and minimal innovation.

Posted via My Beast Q10
    Define innovation please. The iPhone already exists, what exactly would be innovative about updating it? What were you expecting? A brand new invention?
    09-10-14 08:28 AM
    Love that slow-mo.
    They did a good job with Apple Pay. They didn't just put nfc in their phone, they first ensured infrastructure and partners to do it the right way. Now all others will wake up finally and do it also. Funny how much influence Apple has.
    Apple Watch is a terrible product. Design is not good, at all. But i don't blame people who buy it. I'm sure it will catch on, and soon everybody will be wearing them. It's the power of marketing. Something BB should learn better. I hear they don't even have an event for unveiling of BB Passport in US. That's not good.
    Apple's another big success. Damn it.

Posted via CB10
    im sorry in my country (hungary) all credit cards come with a built-in rfid chip for the past 2 or 3 years now and theres also a mastercard app for your phone if you have nfc to use it instead. apple hasnt done jack****, im sorry.
    Last edited by dvarnai; 09-10-14 at 08:44 AM.
    09-10-14 08:28 AM
    They did a good job with Apple Pay. They didn't just put nfc in their phone, they first ensured infrastructure and partners to do it the right way. Now all others will wake up finally and do it also. Funny how much influence Apple has.
    I don't mind this too much, since it means that BlackBerry will be forced to include NFC payments in the OS (which I'm pretty sure I had on my 9790).

Apple Watch is a terrible product. Design is not good, at all. But i don't blame people who buy it. I'm sure it will catch on, and soon everybody will be wearing them. It's the power of marketing.
    Admittedly, if the device worked with BB10, I would buy one...but it needs an iPhone and I rather like my SD cards, thanks.

In all seriousness, BlackBerry...you really need to get built-in NFC payments on BB10! I don't want to need a separate app to be able to do it...I already have a standardised Visa card! Even in South Africa, they've been setting up NFC payment plans.

Also, the Passport has 1080p@60fps (which the iPhone 6 does as well)...you should really figure out how to get at least 120fps for the next all-touch.

/rant over.
    09-10-14 08:48 AM
    im sorry in my country (hungary) all credit cards come with a built-in rfid chip for the past 2 or 3 years now and theres also a mastercard app for your phone if you have nfc to use it instead. apple hasnt done jack****, im sorry.
    Yes. We have that too in Croatia. But Apple got this all in one app, ensured the infrastructure and it will now be used by many many more people than it was used untill now. That is for sure.
    How many people you know that buy things regularly with their mobile phones? I don't know anyone.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 09:11 AM
    09-10-14 09:24 AM
    Weak specs and minimal innovation.

Posted via My Beast Q10
    Kind of like most BlackBerry devices, Samsung devices, and most other mobiles then?

It's a device that already existed that is being updated. Of course it isn't going to be highly innovative. And I do find the specs impressive.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    09-10-14 09:26 AM
    Kind of like most BlackBerry devices then?
    Does BlackBerry get love and adulation in the media for weak specs and minimal innovation too?
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    09-10-14 09:29 AM
    Sure... but MacBook pros and IPads are now products around for years.

It's odd for them to introduce a new category and say "it's coming next year"

Very unjobsian- Steve's marketing strategy was heavily built around his keynote hype.

Different Apple I guess

Posted via CB10
    Jobs for all his arrogance was not only a damn good presenter he was also the founder of the company. Cook can't replace that so he uses superlatives and paid clappers (others are doing the same thing).

Jobs would have introduced the smart watch weeks not months before launch that's for sure and I don't think he would have created two categories of phones
    09-10-14 09:33 AM
    Apparently, during initial setup, it will ask if you're right or left handed and invert the display for those of us lefties. I was concerned about this until Apple clarified this morning.

Now my only concerns are the strength of the crystal and whether the design will grow on me. It's a far cry from the Omega I'm used to wearing.

raino likes this.
    09-10-14 09:42 AM
    I'm a lefty and fortunately for some reason I always grew up wearing my watch on my left hand. I'm not completely sold on wearables, but I am disappointed in the right hand bias of the Galaxy Note Edge. I hold my phones in my right hand and navigate with either my right thumb or left hand depending on what I'm doing. The Edge looks pretty dang innovative, but it would be useless for me.
    09-10-14 09:56 AM
    I'm a lefty and fortunately for some reason I always grew up wearing my watch on my left hand. I'm not completely sold on wearables, but I am disappointed in the right hand bias of the Galaxy Note Edge. I hold my phones in my right hand and navigate with either my right thumb or left hand depending on what I'm doing. The Edge looks pretty dang innovative, but it would be useless for me.
    Oh you lefties. Always with your rights and privileges that we, normal, righties have. Soon you're gonna be asking to marry each other, or to adopt children...oh wait. I've gone too far. ;-P Just kidding.
    I like that apple watch digital crown. Really innovative way to control the device. I remember the click wheel on my iPod. It was so cool.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 10:10 AM
    Oh you lefties. Always with your rights and privileges that we, normal, righties have. Soon you're gonna be asking to marry each other, or to adopt children...oh wait. I've gone too far. ;-P Just kidding.
    I like that apple watch digital crown. Really innovative way to control the device. I remember the click wheel on my iPod. It was so cool.

Posted via CB10
    Well, as a lesbian lefty, you're not far off .
    Croberry1989 likes this.
    09-10-14 10:11 AM
    Apparently, during initial setup, it will ask if you're right or left handed and invert the display for those of us lefties. I was concerned about this until Apple clarified this morning.
    I think that was a gross omission at the initial announcement, to not point this out or have a display that showed/explained this. IDK the percentage, but lefties are a significant size of the population.
    09-10-14 10:19 AM
    Remote control AppleTV. WalkieTalkie Mode, Navigation, NFC payments (don't need iphone 6 if you have the watch), Stand alone music player, Personal communication gestures, Continuity, AirPlay, Usable zoom, Speaker Phone, Actionable Notifications (sorely lacking on the others), WiFi, Usable Apps, apps, apps, apps... Oh, one thing it wont do, it won't run malware...

Other smartwatches (and I've owned a few) haven't even come close yet. Galaxy Gear was closest but very limited where actionable apps are concerned.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=DraQz9iT
    Continuity, usable zoom, gestures, etc. are not features. It's just a different way of interacting with the device.

I'm pretty sure Android Wear has a music player built in.

AirPlay and the Apple TV remote function again are not comparable features, they only work with Apple devices. Android Wear also comes with a few Google services you won't find on Apple's Watch. Let's not get into that.

Apple Pay only works when the watch is paired with an iPhone, since the watch itself can't connect to the internet.

Android Wear has navigation/maps and actionable notifications.

And Android Wear has more apps since it's already here.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 10:31 AM
    Android wear isn't compatible with the iPhone either, so that sort of negates the same argument doesn't it?. And yes, interaction with the device is what actually makes it usable, something Google forgot. If you're being honest with yourself you'll know that "actionable notifications" on android wear is severely lacking almost to the point of being un-usable from what i've seen.

As for apple pay, according to Apple everything is built into the watch itself and the retailers reader does the communication work, not the watch/phone. You'll need an iPhone 5, 5c, 5s or 6 to do the initial setup (adding cards to passbook) but after that the watch is all you'll need.

Continuity, usable zoom, gestures, etc. are not features. It's just a different way of interacting with the device.

I'm pretty sure Android Wear has a music player built in.

AirPlay and the Apple TV remote function again are not comparable features, they only work with Apple devices. Android Wear also comes with a few Google services you won't find on Apple's Watch. Let's not get into that.

Apple Pay only works when the watch is paired with an iPhone, since the watch itself can't connect to the internet.

Android Wear has navigation/maps and actionable notifications.

And Android Wear has more apps since it's already here.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 10:57 AM
    ummm...unlock your screen rotation
    Shows how much you know about BlackBerry 10. The home screen does not rotate. RTFM

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 11:03 AM
    Android wear isn't compatible with the iPhone either, so that sort of negates the same argument doesn't it?. And yes, interaction with the device is what actually makes it usable, something Google forgot. If you're being honest with yourself you'll know that "actionable notifications" on android wear is severely lacking almost to the point of being un-usable from what i've seen.

As for apple pay, according to Apple everything is built into the watch itself and the retailers reader does the communication work, not the watch/phone. You'll need an iPhone 5, 5c, 5s or 6 to do the initial setup (adding cards to passbook) but after that the watch is all you'll need.
    Exactly, so neither of them has an advantage there. They both do the same thing, which is not much. And if you really want a useless device like this at least you pay less for an Android Wear watch. The Motorola 360 also looks a lot better than the girly Apple Watch.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 11:14 AM
    Very thin and powerful. Waiting for unlocked price
    It's on their site... go under T-Mobile and it list the unlock price. The 6 is the same price as the 5s was last year. The 6 Plus cost $100 USD more per model.
    09-10-14 11:28 AM
    Absent 4k video recording or playback, NFC new or something?

Z10
    The NFC payment system includes integration from the major banks here in the states. Meaning no apps, etc. That's the only difference, but reality is people will think they came up with it... if anything they made it a more appealing to people who don't know anything about it.
    09-10-14 11:30 AM
    I wouldn't want a watch period since I've always got my phone with me, but if I did wear a watch, I'd wear once that doesn't need to be charged at least once a day.
    09-10-14 11:38 AM
    Yes. We have that too in Croatia. But Apple got this all in one app, ensured the infrastructure and it will now be used by many many more people than it was used untill now. That is for sure.
    How many people you know that buy things regularly with their mobile phones? I don't know anyone.

Posted via CB10
    Um pretty much everyone I know and uses a credit card. It's being pushed by both the banks, you get 10% discount at most places for using it and also its not optional, everyone gets a credit card with this technology by default.

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    09-10-14 11:48 AM
    The best places to go to for Apple news are some BlackBerry sites.... It's certainly entertaining....I honest to goodness just thought I was at iMore....
    You were told right off the bat that it was an iphone 6 thread. Don't like it? Don't read it.

But yes, the squirrels are out. It has gotten entertaining.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 12:17 PM
    Does BlackBerry get love and adulation in the media for weak specs and minimal innovation too?
    No. That happens right here!

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    09-10-14 12:28 PM
    Respectfully, I have to disagree. You know that little feature, NFC, that we have had for years? Well, meet Apple Pay (system).

Unlike BlackBerry that has had NFC forever and could not do anything useful with it, Apple Pay is actually a useful feature that will finally take NFC mainstream. The tight and convenient integration, the way it is implemented, it is completely new. The Apple Pay system is huge. The rest of the stuff presented is a lot of same-old, same-old. You cannot however discount the importance of Apple Pay. That feature will revolutionize the payment system (finally) and remove the need for pulling cash/plastic everywhere.

As I said in another thread, at the end of the day this is why Apple is so successful and why BlackBerry is barely surviving. When they do something they do it right and they execute it all the way. No half-arsed execution. Now BlackBerry, your move. If you read even one tech blog in the last year you knew what Apple is about to bring to the table. What will you bring?
    Honestly, was it good actually good effort on advertising or simply poor reporting by apple fan peoples to not bothering to mention that NFC in hardly new and Apple is just catching up.
    09-10-14 12:44 PM
362 ... 89101112 ...