Artists not happy with sculpture's removal from Carkeek Park | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Listen and watch at 23 seconds in.

I just think it's kind of funny and sad in a way that "iPhone" has kind of become a generic term for a smartphone, kind of like how people refer to generic MP3 players as iPods, tablet computers as iPads, and so on. Or maybe it's just a Seattle thing? It's not just this story though...I'm constantly hearing people refer to their gadgets as "i" gadgets that they are not and I've had plenty of people ask me about my iPhone when referring to my old BB's or my ThunderBolt.

And among many other examples, I also hear many people call any car that is small a "smart" car.

Or they call any 4WD vehicle a "Jeep," no matter who made it. This one really drives me crazy!

Or any food processor is a "Cuisinart."

Any others you can think of?
    09-07-11 03:29 AM
    Ski-do for snowmobiles.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-11 04:57 AM
    Kleenex for facial tissue
    09-07-11 06:58 AM
    Artists not happy with sculpture's removal from Carkeek Park | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Listen and watch at 23 seconds in.

I just think it's kind of funny and sad in a way that "iPhone" has kind of become a generic term for a smartphone, kind of like how people refer to generic MP3 players as iPods, tablet computers as iPads, and so on. Or maybe it's just a Seattle thing? It's not just this story though...I'm constantly hearing people refer to their gadgets as "i" gadgets that they are not and I've had plenty of people ask me about my iPhone when referring to my old BB's or my ThunderBolt.

And among many other examples, I also hear many people call any car that is small a "smart" car.

Or they call any 4WD vehicle a "Jeep," no matter who made it. This one really drives me crazy!

Or any food processor is a "Cuisinart."

Any others you can think of?
    People may do that, but I don't. The term igadget is unfortunately meant to be a bit derogatory.
    09-07-11 07:09 AM
    theres alot like this..

q-tip, zipper, velcro, jet-ski, asprin. those are all brand names that are now just use as generalizations for a type of product.
    09-07-11 12:11 PM
    band-aid

Tivo for dvr (Though I very much aprpeciate that one)

Xerox

etc
    09-07-11 12:25 PM
    theres alot like this..

q-tip, zipper, velcro, jet-ski, asprin. those are all brand names that are now just use as generalizations for a type of product.
    Some names have become synonymous with the product itself.

- aspirin is an ingredient as well as a name, there is not substitute for aspirin unless you want non-aspirin. And certainly having the name equal the ingredient can cause confusion.
    - jet-ski What else do you call it? Motorized water floatation device?
    - velcro - Isn't the patent still valid on this? The usage has become synonymous with the product.
    - zipper - What else would you call it? The thing that protects your ding-a-ling-a-ling?
    Last edited by i7guy; 09-07-11 at 01:26 PM.
    09-07-11 01:15 PM
    Band-aid...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    09-07-11 02:12 PM
    Some names have become synonymous with the product itself.

- aspirin is an ingredient as well as a name, there is not substitute for aspirin unless you want non-aspirin. And certainly having the name equal the ingredient can cause confusion.
    - jet-ski What else do you call it? Motorized water floatation device?
    - velcro - Isn't the patent still valid on this? The usage has become synonymous with the product.
    - zipper - What else would you call it? The thing that protects your ding-a-ling-a-ling?

lol @ the zipper comment.

zipper is a patent owned by "Fastening for Garments & Co"

Jet-ski is owned by Kawasaki motorsports. Actually the only jet ski's are stand ups and the sit down ones are referred to as wave runners. But most people in the business like me refer to them as PWC's (personal water craft)

Velcro is a brand name if you goto home depot or any other store they adversise them as hook and loop fasteners.
    09-07-11 02:45 PM
    lol @ the zipper comment.

zipper is a patent owned by "Fastening for Garments & Co"

Jet-ski is owned by Kawasaki motorsports. Actually the only jet ski's are stand ups and the sit down ones are referred to as wave runners. But most people in the business like me refer to them as PWC's (personal water craft)

Velcro is a brand name if you goto home depot or any other store they adversise them as hook and loop fasteners.
    I appreciate the education, now I can call them by their generic name, PWC.

Well work is over, I think I'm going to hop in my PTD and go home.
    09-07-11 03:51 PM
    Scotch Tape

White-Out
    09-08-11 12:06 AM
    I'm finally back! There are a couple here I didn't think of, like zipper.
    09-10-11 03:26 AM
    Pampers for diapers
    Jello for Gelatin
    and Droid for all Android devices
    09-20-11 11:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD