So what would it mean if apple releases the iphone 5 with a slide out keyboard, how would you feel about it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-11 09:33 PM
    that would be positive for rim because it would get people excited about using hw keyboards again. the $200 iphone is also good for rim as it would get people excited about low end smartphones.
    02-14-11 09:42 PM
    So what would it mean if apple releases the iphone 5 with a slide out keyboard, how would you feel about it

I've got a blkberry tour,so I'm done with keyboards-so I wouldn't want it!!But I don't c this happening. :-(

02-14-11 09:47 PM
    this won't happen... probably ever
    Entertainment72 likes this.
    02-14-11 10:30 PM
    so I found this article on BGR

Apple said to be testing three iPhone 5 models, including one with a slide-out keyboard | BGR | Boy Genius Report

today saying there are 3 models apple is playing with for iphone 5 and one of them has a slide out keyboard
    02-14-11 10:37 PM
    It's a keyboard accessory ... not part of the phone... that I can believe... but never an iPhone that physically has a keyboard attached to it that you couldn't remove... big difference... they wouldn't go from the thinnest smartphone in the world to one of the bulkiest
    02-14-11 10:55 PM
    It's a keyboard accessory ... not part of the phone... that I can believe... but never an iPhone that physically has a keyboard attached to it that you couldn't remove... big difference... they wouldn't go from the thinnest smartphone in the world to one of the bulkiest
    hheheh yeah worlds bulkiest
    02-15-11 06:36 AM
    I bet you anything they've tested an iPhone with a physical keyboard for the past four iPhones. They'd be ignorant to only come up with one prototype every year when testing. This isn't really news to me.
    02-15-11 09:08 AM
    It would be a good thing for them to offer more option to people. There are still plenty of people that prefer a physical keyboard. There's nothing wrong with appealing to those people. And we know Apple cares a lot about aesthetics so if they make one it will look good because that's what they do. It's in their best interest to make a couple different device to provide options to consumers in the war against Android. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 iPhone models eventually released together..... the flagship one which would probably go to a 4 inch screen which makes sense, a smaller one with a smaller price tag that is being rumored and one with a physical QWERTY. I don't know why anyone would think it's a bad idea for Apple to offer option to people especially when you cannot lump smartphone users into 1 group. They want to expand their market and appeal to more users. There's nothing wrong with that.
    02-15-11 10:01 AM
    I bet you anything they've tested an iPhone with a physical keyboard for the past four iPhones. They'd be ignorant to only come up with one prototype every year when testing. This isn't really news to me.
    Exactly. I've been saying for the last couple years that eventually they will have to come out with more than 1 model to offer more choices. They need to appeal to everyone and not just people that want a full touchscreen device. Hopefully the rumors are true and they will start offering a lower end device and one in a different physical form. That's how you get more iOS devices in the hands of consumers.
    02-15-11 10:02 AM
    I have an ip4 and a Galaxy S as well. Dunno about the official specs but my Android is noticeably thinner.

02-15-11 09:54 PM
    Everyone hold your horses for a second. Now I'll go as far as saying that there is or at one time was an iPhone test model floating around with a keyboard, but I highly doubt the iPhone will have a physical keyboard added UNLESS Apple expands the iPhone lineup offering different models.

Way back in 2007 when Mr. Jobs gave the world the iPhone, wasn't one of his major talking points the flexibility and advantage of a software touch keyboard vs a physical one? I remember him discussing that the software keyboard enables the device to include keyboards for different languages and characters, etc. Physical keyboards your stuck with whatever language/characters are printed on the keys. I remember his example was choosing the Japanese language, the iPhone keyboard on the screen instantly changed over to Japanese characters and away he went typing.

So unless Apple is deciding to expand the iPhone lineup and begin offering different iPhone models (possibly one with a physical keyboard) I don't see Apple sticking a keyboard on the iPhone.

Update: Guys I like you all so much I even went ahead and found a nice video for you. So click the link below, sit back, and watch and hear Steve Jobs' thoughts on physical keyboards.

Last edited by Mr. Marco; 02-16-11 at 12:04 AM.
    02-15-11 11:52 PM
    iPhone with keyboards is like saying the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox will merge.
    APPLE wants LESS moving parts. Perfect example is the new line of Macbook PROs. Unibody.
    another thing that APPLE wants is CONTROL. they want the consumer to go back to the Genius bar whenever a hardware problem arise. good example is the battery, that's why they made it hard for a regular joe to remove and replace the battery of all iphones/ipods/ipad.

just imagine the long lines of people with stuck keys/ non-working letters/ double input keys on their keyboards.
    Having owned a lot of Apple products, i Learned that the consumer BENDs on what apple wants you to have and not the other way around.
    iPad.. you don't NEED a front facing camera for skype, YOU don't NEED flash support, you don't need a Card reader, not even a USB, you DON"T need a replaceable battery, you don't NEED a larger/upgradeable memory.. etc etc
    Last edited by mark_rivers19; 02-16-11 at 12:42 AM.
    02-16-11 12:36 AM
    If apple will launch iphone5 with slide out keyboard than It would be a great fun for me to use it.
    I am so excited to see it.
    02-16-11 12:50 AM
    I'd like to see and maybe own one. Variety is a good thing...
    02-16-11 08:39 AM
    No way! This has never been apple's philosophy on mobile devices, if anything, we are seeing a move towards "touch."...case in point, ipod nano.
    02-16-11 08:40 AM
    I think some people are missing the point. We're not talking about making the next iPhone keyboard only. We're talking about having more than one model to offer options to people and broaden market. Personally, people can say what they want about how other companies slide outs are clumsy, bulky or whatever. That's them and not Apple. If there's 1 company that can make a sexy slideout keyboard it's Apple.
    02-16-11 09:06 AM
    No way! This has never been apple's philosophy on mobile devices, if anything, we are seeing a move towards "touch."...case in point, ipod nano.
    I'm pretty sure things change as the world changes. No? Staying with the same mindset and not adapting and offering more variety can leave a company losing market share like RIM. Nothing wrong with options. I can't see what anyone thinks offering more is bad.
    02-16-11 09:08 AM
    I think some people are missing the point. We're not talking about making the next iPhone keyboard only. We're talking about having more than one model to offer options to people and broaden market. Personally, people can say what they want about how other companies slide outs are clumsy, bulky or whatever. That's them and not Apple. If there's 1 company that can make a sexy slideout keyboard it's Apple.
    I think it's you who's missing the point OR you don't know APPLE as a company. The iphone line has always been a 1 phone/ 1 style per year. If you want variation then buy HTC or a Blackberry.
    If Steve wanted some keyboards in a phone, they would have released it years ago.
    Here's the problem, you're expecting APPLE to listen to the consumer. And history tells you it's not the case.
    YOU bend over backwards for APPLE. Not the other way around.
    Ex. Ever wonder why APPLE made the batteries Non-user replaceable? Or their chargers? Why not use a typical USB to mini/micro USB cords. Nope they have to come up with their own.
    And then there's Itunes. Where eveything has to be done through that.
    Try deleting a file/song straight from your phone/ipod? You can't. OH MY!

02-19-11 09:39 AM
    If Apple (which they WILL NEVER do) came out with any option and or model iPhone 5 of the sorts with a slide-out keyboard I will go back to my Razr.
    02-19-11 11:13 AM
    There will never be a physical keyboard.
    Steve Jobs said he didn't want that because a virtual keyboard was easier to modify.

02-20-11 07:29 PM
    This won't happen as long as Steve jobs is with apple. He specifically stated he did not like keyboards and would avoid them at all costs.

02-20-11 11:29 PM
    i the iP5 came out with a keyboard i would jump ship QUICK
    02-25-11 02:59 PM
    I think it would be great for a different model of the iPhone to come out and have a physical keyboard, but I don't see it happening. Either way, i want nothing to do with physical keyboard anymore. I've been tying on touchscreen for the last 2-3 years and I wont go back.
    02-25-11 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD