iPhone 5 may need third antenna for simultaneous voice-data | Apple - CNET News

"The ghost of Apple's iPhone 4 "antennagate" looks to be haunting the iPhone 5.

The reason simultaneous voice and data capability on 4G LTE isn't possible on Sprint and Verizon simply seems to be the new device's hardware..."
    09-14-12 07:27 AM
    So Rogers is likely to have the same problem as I don't think their network will support CDMA for voice calls.
    09-14-12 07:43 AM
    It's not like "antennagate" that was a design issue with the iPhone. This has to do with the way carriers are setting up their LTE networks. As it's pointed out in the article, AT&T doesn't have this issue.

LTE is basically data only and voice calls are routed over older networks. However, this is gradually changing so eventually voice and data will go over the same network. The big hurdle obviously is cost as the LTE networks have to upgraded to handle the additional traffic once voice is included.
    09-14-12 07:49 AM
    So Rogers is likely to have the same problem as I don't think their network will support CDMA for voice calls.
    No, they will drop to 3G for simultaneous voice over data. It's only carriers still using dinosaur CDMA tech that will be affected.
    09-14-12 07:52 AM
    Apple has to create a phone that works with the way carriers have their networks set up now, not in the future.
    09-14-12 07:53 AM
    But from a Users perspective it wont matter what the technical reasons are. Perception is key.
    09-14-12 08:03 AM
    AT&T FTW. Looks like I'm not switching carriers. :-)
    09-14-12 09:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD