We had to wait sixteen months between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S. Next time around, however, we may only have to wait six to twelve months before the iPhone 5 is introduced. The iPhone many of us were expecting to see yesterday - a significantly redesigned 4G-capable iPhone - may drop in the spring of 2012, says analyst Will Strauss, president of Forward Concepts.

"They're saving iPhone 5 for the LTE version and that won't be out until next spring," Strauss tells CNET. Given Strauss' close work with chip providers and even closer connections with companies that produce components for Apple's iPhone, his comments are stirring the pot. Although Strauss didn't cite specific sources, the general point of his claim - that the iPhone 5 will be dramatically different form the iPhone 4S - doesn't come as much of a shocker.

"There's no way they could come out with LTE now," Strauss admitted, tangibly implying that it's pretty obvious many Apple fans were hoping for something bigger and better out of Apple's media event on Tuesday. In the long term, however, Strauss contends that Apple was smart for waiting to deploy any such futuristic mobile technologies.

Originally Posted by :
    Current implementations of LTE in phones like the HTC Thunderbolt are too kludgy for Apple's tastes...The Thunderbolt, for example, has an LTE baseband (modem) chip and a second 3G chip from Qualcomm for the voice functions.
    As if a "kludgy" design wasn't enough to keep Apple at bay for now, there's another reason why waiting is better. "There are a lot of places today that LTE still doesn't reach," Strauss says, a reality that all but certainly will change dramatically during the next six to twelve months.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 10-05-11 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added to title
    10-05-11 02:53 PM
    Whatever they do, it wont matter. People are ticked off.

Even i was disappointed. My former Apple fanboyism was excited. But disappointment ensued.
    10-05-11 03:03 PM
    Sounds like they are taking clues from RIM. Are they going to be blasted for not having what android all ready has and not having cutting edge tech? I doubt it. Will they say iphone 5 is what the iphone4s should have been, doubt it again.

What makes it futuristic if other phones have it now? Did the makers of such futuristic phones travel in a time machine?
    10-05-11 04:13 PM
    What makes it futuristic if other phones have it now? Did the makers of such futuristic phones travel in a time machine?
    Lol..I wondered the same thing..
    10-05-11 04:22 PM
    what was really funny was during the presentation, they showed how one can talk to their 4S to set up an alarm. I can do that on my Bionic, thanks to speech recognition, along with a free app such as Alarm Clock Plus. sigh.
    10-05-11 04:36 PM
    I don't know why people are so upset, this is on par with the biggest hardware and software update ever in the history of iPhone. I think people got too wound up in rumors and expected stupid things that the rumor-starters had no better idea about than any consumer. Cus some Chinese case manufacturer made fake cases you expect a huge redesign?! I don't know if people know but when it comes to Apple imitations, Asian countries are the frontrunners. You should have known Apple wasn't going to make it 4G because they already said the sacrifices needed to have '4G' in your phone in this age are not sacrifices worth making, rightfully so. Just because it looks like the iPhone 4, which is still the best looking phone on the market by far in my opinion, doesn't have 4G which doesn't exist yet, you are disappointed? What'd you expect, Android-like gimmicks? If that's the case, don't get it.

what was really funny was during the presentation, they showed how one can talk to their 4S to set up an alarm. I can do that on my Bionic, thanks to speech recognition, along with a free app such as Alarm Clock Plus. sigh.
    You can also run to get a coffee in between consecutive pictures.
    10-05-11 05:09 PM
    What'd you expect, Android-like gimmicks? If that's the case, don't get it..
    Gimmicks? You're trying to tell me Siri isn't a gimmick? Lol..of course it couldn't be..cuz those people at Apple said its awesome!

"Durrr..Siri, remind me to change my underwear in the morning"

"Siri siri in my palm..tell me I'm pretty (you sound like my mom)"
    10-05-11 05:19 PM
    Gimmicks? You're trying to tell me Siri isn't a gimmick? Lol..of course it couldn't be..cuz those people at Apple said its awesome!

"Durrr..Siri, remind me to change my underwear in the morning"

"Siri siri in my palm..tell me I'm pretty (you sound like my mom)"
    I don't think it's a gimmick personally; it makes setting alarms, reminders, appointments easier and makes it easier to check weather and traffic and things like.

What is a gimmick is having a phone that plugs into some stupidly expensive laptop add-on when you could just use a netbook, laptop, or tablet with better results, and just about every piece of OEM-created tweaks to the Android OS.
    10-05-11 05:32 PM
    I don't think it's a gimmick personally; it makes setting alarms, reminders, appointments easier and makes it easier to check weather and traffic and things like.

What is a gimmick is having a phone that plugs into some stupidly expensive laptop add-on when you could just use a netbook, laptop, or tablet with better results, and just about every piece of OEM-created tweaks to the Android OS.

Sounds like a gimmick to me. We'll see how it really works in the real world, too bad it's not available to the current iP4 owners(slap in the face) cause I wanted to give it a try. Definitely not buying a 4S to just try it. What a joke! Give it to the current iP4 owners!!!
    10-05-11 06:01 PM
    We had to wait sixteen months between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S. Next time around, however, we may only have to wait six to twelve months before the iPhone 5 is introduced. The iPhone many of us were expecting to see yesterday - a significantly redesigned 4G-capable iPhone - may drop in the spring of 2012, says analyst Will Strauss, president of Forward Concepts.

"They're saving iPhone 5 for the LTE version and that won't be out until next spring," Strauss tells CNET. Given Strauss' close work with chip providers and even closer connections with companies that produce components for Apple's iPhone, his comments are stirring the pot. Although Strauss didn't cite specific sources, the general point of his claim - that the iPhone 5 will be dramatically different form the iPhone 4S - doesn't come as much of a shocker.

"There's no way they could come out with LTE now," Strauss admitted, tangibly implying that it's pretty obvious many Apple fans were hoping for something bigger and better out of Apple's media event on Tuesday. In the long term, however, Strauss contends that Apple was smart for waiting to deploy any such futuristic mobile technologies.

Originally Posted by :
    Current implementations of LTE in phones like the HTC Thunderbolt are too kludgy for Apple's tastes...The Thunderbolt, for example, has an LTE baseband (modem) chip and a second 3G chip from Qualcomm for the voice functions.
    As if a "kludgy" design wasn't enough to keep Apple at bay for now, there's another reason why waiting is better. "There are a lot of places today that LTE still doesn't reach," Strauss says, a reality that all but certainly will change dramatically during the next six to twelve months.
    Any news or rumors of an iP5 anytime soon and no one is going to buy this 4S. They will have 30 million of them sitting around.
    10-05-11 06:06 PM

Of course you don't find it gimmicky. And since when is putting dates into your phone..or setting an alarm timer on it such an inconvenience? Seriously? We now can speak it rather than make a few inputs with fingers?
    "OMG setting this appointment is torture! There must be a better way!"

As for "my" gimmick..it works surprisingly well (although its not Apple branded so you wouldn't like it) and is definately way faster than netbooks (yes I've used them..and yes they suck). As for tablets..I don't have any need for a tablet..seeings how my phone does all that for me.
    10-05-11 06:07 PM
    I may or may not get the 4S, I am still undecided. Even if I get the 4S I would still be eligible for 5 by the time it comes out. 2 upgrades ftw.
    10-05-11 06:10 PM
    For what it's worth, I think Apple was walking a fine line with the upgrade. By upgrading the device to the IP5 this soon after the Verizon launch they ran the risk of upsetting those folks with an IP4 that could not upgrade. However by waiting as long as they did to upgrade they had to give the ATT folks something worth the wait. I think the IP4S was the compromise. A sizable upgrade for the ATT folks and the Verizon folks who waited but not so much to make the VIP4 folks feel like they had an obsolete device. Now Apple can take their time and do the IP5 correctly and blow out the competition when they do release it.
    10-06-11 11:27 PM
    i'm still undecided on the 4S as well...i think i'll give them time to work out the bugs..plus that lack of 4G isn't appealing to me. I can wait 6 months for the 5 if I need to...
    10-07-11 12:31 AM
    Sounds like a gimmick to me. We'll see how it really works in the real world, too bad it's not available to the current iP4 owners(slap in the face) cause I wanted to give it a try. Definitely not buying a 4S to just try it. What a joke! Give it to the current iP4 owners!!!
    Don't you get siri with ios5? You can download ios5 on the 13th I think on your current iphone 4. And siri seems pretty bad a s s

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-11 12:52 AM
    iphone 5 will drop in 1st qtr 2012 guaranteed
    10-07-11 05:09 AM
    I wouldn't doubt it a bit. They've always got something up their sleeve. I'm sure the PR folks are getting an earful.
    10-07-11 05:51 AM
    i hope you're right...that would make me a very happy camper
    10-08-11 01:06 AM
    The hardware on the iPhone 4 isn't powerful enough apparently.

Of course you don't find it gimmicky. And since when is putting dates into your phone..or setting an alarm timer on it such an inconvenience? Seriously? We now can speak it rather than make a few inputs with fingers?
    "OMG setting this appointment is torture! There must be a better way!"

As for "my" gimmick..it works surprisingly well (although its not Apple branded so you wouldn't like it) and is definately way faster than netbooks (yes I've used them..and yes they suck). As for tablets..I don't have any need for a tablet..seeings how my phone does all that for me.
    You really shouldn't assume that anybody and everybody who defends Apple is a fanboy/fangirl, it is becoming increasingly ignorant. It's not about the 'burden' of having to set alarms and such, it's more about accessibility; the fact that you can merely say a few words to your phone and it will do all sorts of things in response to it is truly quite clever and useful(especially since it's accessible through the lock screen). I understand that where you're coming from in assuming gimmickiness, but I disagree with you and there may or may not be a bias in mine and your opinions.

EDIT:
    Not gonna happen. Samsung, HTC and many other manufacturers can get away with constantly releasing phones left and right because not one of their phones is nearly as popular as iPhone, so in order to remain competitive they need multiple different phones for multiples different demographics. Apple would never obsolete any of their products five months later unless there was a serious issue/recall of some sorts; Apple has never been a company to rush things because of competition and they will not rush the life cycle of the 4S because it will be a solid seller for at least a year if not more.
    Last edited by dalton4L; 10-08-11 at 01:17 AM.
    lssanjose and avt123 like this.
    10-08-11 01:12 AM
    i just wish we had an IDEA of when the next one was coming out...i've heard 6-12 months..18 months...eh...
    10-08-11 10:24 PM
    i just wish we had an IDEA of when the next one was coming out...i've heard 6-12 months..18 months...eh...
    If I was still a betting man, I'd say 'summer 2012'
    10-08-11 11:37 PM
    I got about a year and a half before my next upgrade. The iPhone 4 is just fine and I can certainly wait for IP5 since it won't be out for a while anyway. Just hope they don't increase the size when the new IP5 comes out. Its the perfect size. Any bigger like those Android phones and it will be like carrying a brick

Now IOS 5...That I'll be waiting for. That'll be like getting a new phone.
    Last edited by zwoof; 10-09-11 at 12:01 AM.
    10-08-11 11:59 PM
    Just hope they don't increase the size when the new IP5 comes out. Its the perfect size. Any bigger like those Android phones and it will be like carrying a brick
    I totally agree. Unfortunately you and I are in the minority on this.

Another thing I'd like to continue to stay the same is the look, feel, design, and form factor of the iPhone 4, it's brilliant, beautiful, and perfect in my opinion.
    10-09-11 01:23 AM
    I totally agree. Unfortunately you and I are in the minority on this.

Another thing I'd like to continue to stay the same is the look, feel, design, and form factor of the iPhone 4, it's brilliant, beautiful, and perfect in my opinion.
    Hence the iPhone4S

My guess is that Apple will make a more drastic change for the iPhone5 in terms of design to differentiate it between the previous two models.
    10-09-11 02:47 AM
    If I was still a betting man, I'd say 'summer 2012'
    i'll take that bet
    10-09-11 03:22 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD