I hope they don't change the look. The glass front and back make it a great looking phone. The screen size is perfect. Any bigger, it'll feel like lugging around a brick.
    People said the same things about Android phones when the screens started to get bigger but now most users who made the transition have a hard time even looking at a smaller phone.
    10-11-11 10:53 PM
    Believe it or not, I am not a hater. I just feel that the iPhone is incredibly over-rated. Touch screen technology was not an innovation with the iPhone, it just wasn't popular yet. Tablets have been around for years, they just weren't popular yet. Apple has truly set a new standard in marketing by making these products "gotta haves". But don't mistake that for innovation. That's why the latest release of the iPhone 4s was such a disappointment, it was boring. Nothing exciting. This is the reality of new product releases just like someone stated earlier. Apple has marketed hype for so long that they are shooting themselves in the foot. They can't possibly deliver for the long-term. Apple customers are used to be told about something new that they just gotta have. The 4s didn't deliver and the iPhone 5 will probably be the same. But I'll bet that the iPhone 5 sets a new record in sales as well. The hype will still be there to make sure it does but that hype won't carry Apple for long. Hype is temporary and so is the iPhone/iPad era.

And I don't claim that MY choice of device is technologically superior, I only claim that it's features and functionality of not shrouded in senseless hype. It just does what I need it to do based on my standards, not some slick marketing execs standards. I agree with the fact that the device we use is a matter of personal preference. I just think it's sad that many users (namely iPhone/iPad users) choose on principles of social acceptance rather than useful technology. But I guess this is true for many products. It's all just a matter of a particular person's standards in what they want. When I was a kid, I wanted the coolest car, not a practical car. Job's (RIP) said it himself: "since when to consumers know what they want". That statement does not apply to me.

Once last thing. Marketing is most certainly necessary, especially in the competitive mobile market. I just think that a company should choose wisely how they choose to market their products because this method will stick with the product throughout it's lifespan. In other words, if you market hype, eventually you will lose since people ultimately want a product that solves practical problems, not one that makes them appear cool and trendy.
    Having used every OS except WinPhone and Nokia in the last 3 years, and burning through 8 cell phones, I can honestly say I have never, ever been as completely happy with a phone experience as I have been with iPhone 4. It simply works. It does everything I want it to do without having to run an OS through a shrinking program to try to fix a lack of onboard memory issues, worry about memory leaks, root and put custom roms to fix bugs - all things I had to do with my BBs and Android phones. My Palm Pre is a close second but even then I had patches on it to tweak things.

There is nothing I want tweaked with my phone. By now, I'd be itching to get the latest phone - everyone at work is floored that I am not being swayed to the SGS2 in white now that it's out.

I don't want it.

The haters can bash Apple all they want - but as a confirmed phone addict who has always wanted to try the latest within a couple of months due to some dissatisfaction with the phone, for me to be this happy with the phone at this point is a freaking miracle. And I'm picky.

So, Apple must be doing something right.

I'm not going 4S, tempting as it is, because I don't see any lag whatsoever with iOS5 and iP4. Siri and a higher megapixel camera isn't enough for me. The dual core isn't enough to me because I don't see where it NEEDS it when I find it works pretty friggin' fast as it is.

Now, the 5? That may be a whole other story. A story that will happen likely when I have an upgrade.

And we'll go from there...
    Last edited by reeneebob; 10-11-11 at 11:27 PM.
    Accidental Post and moiselles like this.
    10-11-11 11:25 PM
    There is one possibility that many fail to consider. People are buying this phone in droves because it is an outstanding device. Do the naysayers even consider that possibility? Why, exactly is the appearance a problem? It looks just like the best selling smartphone in the world. Seems like a smart choice to me.

Never mind the hardware upgrades. Anyone can do that. Siri is reason enough to consider making this your next phone. The reviews are in. Even in beta, it is science fiction transformed into science fact. It is not simple voice control, which is not very interesting. This is AI. This will greatly increase accessibility of high-tech features to average people. The denial around here has reached the clinical stage and should be treated with medication.

The real concern, I think, is not why the iPhone is so successful, but why RIM can't garner this kind of support and loyalty from fans and newcomers. This is about jealousy and sour grapes. It is easier to just dismiss the qualities of the iPhone than to deal with the deficiencies of your own choices.
    10-12-11 12:36 AM
    Apple is the second most valuable company in the world, trust me they could afford to have enough units to meet demand if they chose to. Demand is still high because they use their marketing and supply chain power to stretch out the sales of the phone well past the original release date. Some people give up on getting one during times of peak demand and instead wait a few months. Additionally Apple arranges "early upgrade" arrangements with their carrier partners to allow people to upgrade up to a year earlier than they are entitled to according to their contract in exchange for paying $200 more for the phone. No other OEM does this and it further sells the idea that the iPhone is some kind of superior product.

Everything we all say here is speculation, and you don't have to agree with it, but withholding your agreement does not make it any less accurate.

From my limited understanding, it's both for shortages. Apple can control (a little) on supply to increase demand, but it's still a high supply output. Even with a second plant and producing these things months in advance, nothing is going to prepare you for launch day numbers; 1 million devices in 24 hours is not normal.

Second, even if marketing and supply chains were a factor, you'd say that it would dwindle after 6 months or so (past the initial launch, the upgraders, and holiday), right? Except 15/16 months after the iP4 launch AT&T's best selling phone for September sales? iPhone4.

Finally early upgrade arrangements with carriers is pure marketing genius. Seriously, why wouldn't any other OEM do this? It's allowing new or loyal customers to get the newest phones without spending full retail. I mean, when I wanted the Torch 9800 after I got my Curve the year before, I had to "borrow' the upgrade on one of my family members lines. If I was by myself, I couldn't and would have to pay full out for the phone. Paying a semi-discounted price to get it before I'm eligible to upgrade? In a heart beat.

Some people want to get the new phone no matter the cost year after year. Apple found a way to please their consumer base. RIM (amongst other companies) would find it enlightening to study some of Apple's marketing skills (if not to copy, but to improve or find a new direction).

There is one possibility that many fail to consider. People are buying this phone in droves because it is an outstanding device. Do the naysayers even consider that possibility? Why, exactly is the appearance a problem? It looks just like the best selling smartphone in the world. Seems like a smart choice to me.

Never mind the hardware upgrades. Anyone can do that. Siri is reason enough to consider making this your next phone. The reviews are in. Even in beta, it is science fiction transformed into science fact. It is not simple voice control, which is not very interesting. This is AI. This will greatly increase accessibility of high-tech features to average people. The denial around here has reached the clinical stage and should be treated with medication.

The real concern, I think, is not why the iPhone is so successful, but why RIM can't garner this kind of support and loyalty from fans and newcomers. This is about jealousy and sour grapes. It is easier to just dismiss the qualities of the iPhone than to deal with the deficiencies of your own choices.

Well, this site is dedicated to BlackBerry loyalty and fans . I think we all know, though, how frustrating it can be sometimes. But you're right, I think the issue here is (as I've said before) people with different priorities for a phone not recognizing that other people want other things. And when your priority takes you to a phone that isn't Apple, you wonder what the other person is thinking.

For example, if you are a spec guy, you'd go crazy on how people could buy a device with less RAM and processing speed than your phone, how a VGA front-camera is soooo last year, and 3.5" screen? Pathetic, gimmie my 4.7". You'd wonder how people could even consider the iPhone, ultimately classifying them as "sheep" or "uneducated."

Likewise, if you love your battery on your phone (say as a BB user), you'd go crazy on how people could by an unoptimized Android device that drains your phone in 5 hours, possibly thinking they're stupid for having to lug a charger around with them to keep their phone juiced.

So that's the first cause for the hatred towards this phone I believe: people who aren't buying the phone (for whatever reason) think that their choice is better (which it is: for them) and the other people are making a mistake.

The second cause is probably a sense of jealousy. I mean, which phone company wouldn't like to see the pre-orders, the sales, the hype, the loyalty of iPhone users? It's a beautiful business model when your customers will continue to buy your product year after year. RIM had that going for a while: it's great for profits. In fact, there are still people who will only buy RIM (welcome to CrackBerry!), but as of late, I think we all know there are a few areas that need (and are) working on.

Anyway, that's just my opinion on the matter.
    Rickroller likes this.
    10-12-11 01:50 AM
    Apple is the second most valuable company in the world, trust me they could afford to have enough units to meet demand if they chose to. Demand is still high because they use their marketing and supply chain power to stretch out the sales of the phone well past the original release date. Some people give up on getting one during times of peak demand and instead wait a few months. Additionally Apple arranges "early upgrade" arrangements with their carrier partners to allow people to upgrade up to a year earlier than they are entitled to according to their contract in exchange for paying $200 more for the phone. No other OEM does this and it further sells the idea that the iPhone is some kind of superior product.

Everything we all say here is speculation, and you don't have to agree with it, but withholding your agreement does not make it any less accurate.
    You're right, Apple is one of the world's most popular companies and because of that, there is more demand than can initially be supplied usually. Apple is very selective when they choose their hardware suppliers so it's no surprise that there aren't always enough iPhones to 'go around' in their first production run. If Apple wasn't so picky they'd end up like the Bold 9900s that have all their issues(Mexico-made ones in particular).

You may be referring to their set amount of available iPhones for pre-order, in which case you are right because they only allot a certain amount so that there is a fair share of consumers getting a chance at getting one because they will inevitably sell out.
    10-12-11 02:16 AM
    Isn't the last Blackberry Bold, look identical to the previous generation and the one before that? Yet when Apple does it, it's a big deal.

The fact is that RIM has nothing in their fleet that can compete with the iPhone 4S from a performance perspective, nor a ecosystem perspective...

Did you happen to think the iPhone 4/4S might actually be a great phone. Take your RIM blinders off...
    Last edited by schlammuuagar; 10-12-11 at 07:48 AM.
    moiselles likes this.
    10-12-11 07:31 AM
    apple sells
    period
    but now all the 4s owners going to talk to siri
    or say let me shoot with my 8mp camera or
    this ipad processor working well
    lol
    10-12-11 07:36 AM
    Having used every OS except WinPhone and Nokia in the last 3 years, and burning through 8 cell phones, I can honestly say I have never, ever been as completely happy with a phone experience as I have been with iPhone 4. It simply works. It does everything I want it to do without having to run an OS through a shrinking program to try to fix a lack of onboard memory issues, worry about memory leaks, root and put custom roms to fix bugs - all things I had to do with my BBs and Android phones.
    This is the what keeps people using Apple stuff, it does what it is supposed to do with no tinkering required. That is great for non techies but also great for IT professionals who don't want to be fixing there personal technology in addition to their day job.
    reeneebob likes this.
    10-12-11 09:01 AM
    Exactly. IPhone users abroad complained about the lame improvements of the 4s. Then set a new sales record buying it up. I'm not a hater, just practical. If a device isn't a substantial improvement over what I'm currently using, I'm not forkin out hundreds of $ for it. I don't buy hype.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    The sheep that I know that purchased the 4S do not currently have iPhone's today. One is leaving a Blackberry, one is leaving an Android device.

I'm curious how many people are "upgrading" their 4S, vs. those that are purchasing new. Or if they are upgrading, I would think it's from a 3g or 3gs.

Lots of people were waiting for a 5, and since it didn't materialize, they are just purchasing the 4S.
    10-12-11 09:22 AM
    The sheep that I know that purchased the 4S do not currently have iPhone's today. One is leaving a Blackberry, one is leaving an Android device.

I'm curious how many people are "upgrading" their 4S, vs. those that are purchasing new. Or if they are upgrading, I would think it's from a 3g or 3gs.

Lots of people were waiting for a 5, and since it didn't materialize, they are just purchasing the 4S.
    Check out MacRumors and TiPb forums; they both have polls running of "what you are upgrading from," which will probably hit a lot more people than the one Accidential Post made in this forum (being a BB blog and all).
    10-12-11 09:27 AM
    This is the what keeps people using Apple stuff, it does what it is supposed to do with no tinkering required. That is great for non techies but also great for IT professionals who don't want to be fixing there personal technology in addition to their day job.

And that is why I bought one for me and my wife. I rooted her Droid and man that was the worst thing I did. I spend all day as a Sys. Analyst and have to come home and play phone support.
    reeneebob and periwinklemoon like this.
    10-12-11 09:55 AM
    Disclaimer first: I was a bit burnt by the 9900 and returned it, but I am still looking forward to the possible 9790 Bellagio and particularly if the wifi hotspot is activated. So, while I was disappointed by RIM lately, I certainly am not a hater of RIM.

Having said that, one of the most disappointing things about RIM was their rather canny tactics to hype up users, a lot of talk but no delivery. I thought it was a reflection of the mentality by 2 half-CEOs. who probably believed that they could keep their user base and drag them as long as they could by false hypes until they were ready to release certain products.
    In contrast, in the case of Apple, it has always been very honest and clear-cut. When they announce something, they always come with very definitive launch schedule. When they do launch something, they always come with very definitive availability dates that are usually within a matter of couple of weeks. Sure there was always hype but come to think of it, it's usually by media. Apple never say a thing about a new release until formal announcement, being famously secretive. Media hype up everything, giving Apple a great free advertising.

If for example, OS7 devices were launched this way, with definitive and fairly short waiting time, complete with even pre-order arrangement, RIM could have sold them so much better. It does create necessary hype.
    Incremental teasing leaks of info over so many months and even years before the actual delivery only hurt RIM.
    Look, 9900 in its current form has existed as Dakota for almost 2 years (as far as I know) with occasional leaks here and there. Even after the formal announcement, it took months before we could actually buy it. I was so excited about the 9900 but by the time it finally became available, my enthusiasm waned out. I went ahead buying it anyway but returned it in a few days. I was no longer blindly enthusiastic and began to look at other options more seriously.
    Very poor marketing.
    10-12-11 09:55 AM

I am one of those thinking of leaving Blackberry for the iPhone. The main issue I have with Blackberry is the outages. My husband, on the other hand, HATES his Blackberry, says he can never access the internet and when he is able to, it's so slow he gets frustrated. He's the one who is asking me to check into switching.
    10-12-11 09:57 AM
    In the state of GRACE you trust yourself and the universe. You can celebrate other people's blessing knowing that their gifts are right and appropriate for them and that the universe has your gift right around the corner.
    10-12-11 10:19 AM
    I thin he is referring to the TiPb poll where something like 60% of the users said they were absolutely NOT upgrading and the rest were divided between we shall see and yes (the minority). But again we have to remember that those of us who read these blogs and forums are NOT the majority of users. The masses just know a new iPhone is out and they should get it because Uncle Steve (err Uncle Tim) tells them to.
    I guess cousin BB told you these phones were the best;BB 8830(Red), 8330, 8900, 9000, 9530 & 9550, 9630 & 9650,
    10-12-11 11:30 AM
    I am one of those thinking of leaving Blackberry for the iPhone. The main issue I have with Blackberry is the outages. My husband, on the other hand, HATES his Blackberry, says he can never access the internet and when he is able to, it's so slow he gets frustrated. He's the one who is asking me to check into switching.
    My husband is upgrading from the iPhone3G and rightfully so. He's had it for 3 years, it's in perfect physical condition, but it doesn't hold much of a charge anymore. He's definitely due for an upgrade and would've upgraded regardless of an iPhone5 or not. Originally he was going to go the cheaper route and get the iPhone4 and save $100. But after I expressed interest in the 4S and after he realized he'd use an upgrade to get a phone that's already 18 months old, we might as well pay the extra $100 and get the 4S that will undoubtedly last him another 3 years (or until his next upgrade :P ). After learning about all the new features of the 4S, he's definitely glad he made the decision to get it instead of the 4.
    10-12-11 11:32 AM
    And that is why I bought one for me and my wife. I rooted her Droid and man that was the worst thing I did. I spend all day as a Sys. Analyst and have to come home and play phone support.
    That's EXACTLY WHAT IT FELT LIKE.

It came to feel like a job to keep things working properly. And that was still an improvement over the Samsung bugs.
    10-12-11 12:15 PM
    Yep, I've already upgraded to the official from the GM and am reloading music.

On the exact date promised.
    10-12-11 01:28 PM
    Other than a faster processor and new voice software, the 4s is basically the same as the iphone 4. Yet it is sold out across all carriers with 1 million sold already. I think Apple could sell a turd in a seashell if they called it "the most amazing iPhone yet". Thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think the point is this isn't news. I recall various vendors showing BB Bold sold out and when I wnet to get mine from Verizon I got the last one, i.e., sold out. But of course it isn't made by Apple so no one cares.

For the media Apple is the home teacm and they are getting cheered on. The only way this will stop is when they get trounced.

This is possible by:

RIM QNX ~ not the first one but in the future.
    Nokia MSFT ~ Nokia can build good looking phones and MSFT has the ability to integrate with Win8 that others can't match, so could be inventive.
    Sony-Android ~ Sony is behind but there is too much design talent there for them not to make a run at it sometime. Maybe they'll do it with a windows phone.

I don't think HTC or Samsung are good enough to do it.
    10-12-11 02:21 PM
    It's called successful marketing....RIM, take a note to it.
    10-12-11 03:16 PM
    I'm sorry, but I just don't see a RIM QNX device out selling or taking over the market like the iPhones. If the QNX is a full touch (no keyboard), that is a huge customer base of BlackBerry that will not switch because RIM has done an excellent job with their physical keyboards and many people stick with BlackBerries for the keyboard. Also, a lot of the people already on iPhones and Androids will probably feel "tied" to their devices they've had for the last 3-4 years, devices with apps, songs and TV shows and movies already on iTunes.

I love BlackBerry and do want them to succeed, but I don't see QNX becoming as huge as many people here are making it out to be.
    10-12-11 03:37 PM
    I guess cousin BB told you these phones were the best;BB 8830(Red), 8330, 8900, 9000, 9530 & 9550, 9630 & 9650,
    No I made those upgrade choices myself and have no regrets. Yes I've had almost all of the BB models on VZW and ATT the last three years but each offered something the predecessor lacked, I'd go into detail but I suspect you don't really care. There is one thing that BB does and does well that no one else has matched it as and that is as a communication tool. Android (at least the HTC variety) is getting close, but but until iOS 5 Apple was lagging waaaay behind. Yes you could use them to send email, Facebook, IM, SMS, etc but they were not all integrated the way they are on a BB.
    10-12-11 05:57 PM
    How is that outage? Also I had a HTC android phone and as with any android phone you keep a extra battery or it's plugged into the wall. As for blackberry they do not support a device very long at all and with the contracts you have now it's nice that android and apple support their stuff for quit a while.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaMFtalk
    10-12-11 06:28 PM
    As for blackberry they do not support a device very long at all
    Where do you get that idea? RIM is still crating OS's for devices as old as the 9700 and probably some older ones. Yes a lot of older phones don't get the major OS updates but on most cases (ie BB7) it's because of hardware limitations.
    10-12-11 06:40 PM
    Of course its sold out, its a phone people actually want, unlike other companies that wait years to release subpar products with last years technology and very spotty quality components.
    10-12-11 07:11 PM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD